Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Freyland

Re: Random randomness

Post by Freyland »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:33 pm I had a raw egg in my milkshake last night and Im still alive.
Posted from the bathroom.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:55 am
Skinypupy wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:02 pm Remember that great feel-good story last winter where the homeless guy gave a lady his last $20 so she could buy gas, and she responded by setting up a GoFundMe that raised over $400,000 for him? Surprising exactly no one, this has not ended well.
Oh what a tangled web we weave...
A Burlington County couple and the homeless vet for whom they launched a fundraising campaign will all face charges for supposedly making up the viral sob story in order to scam money, NBC reported Wednesday night.

The couple, Mark D'Amico and Kate McClure, of Florence, and the homeless man, Johnny Bobbitt, will face charges that include conspiracy and theft by deception after they allegedly fabricated the story to raise over $400,000 through an ultra-successful GoFundMe campaign, the report stated.
The homeless guy: smartest of the bunch.

He either ends up with some money or a nice indoor cell during the winter months. Win-win!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Covfefe!
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

"Fun Size" should be the new standard for candy bars. They're perfect for a little snack without overwhelming like a full size bar. Someone make this happen.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

How are you so consistently wrong about everything? There is nothing fun when you are done eating 7 peanut M&Ms. The only thing fun about fun sizes is that you don't feel as guilty when you take a variety of six different "fun" sized candies.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

2 or 3 days ago my wife woke up from a normal night sleep and complained of her left ribs hurt bad. Said it was almost a broke feeling but not that bad. I told her it must be a pulled muscle. She has hurt for 3 days now pretty bad at times. I have no idea what caused it.

Today I wake up and think all is normal and then notice my right side. OUCH. My entire right rib cage is hurt. It feels like every muscle in it is pulled at the same time. I cant take a deep breath. Got pain medicine so we are not feeling the full effects.

WTF is going on. Im not sure if this is one of those "Get out of the house now!" events or a "you idiot you sleep stupid" times. Either way now we have matching painful ribs.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

there is nothing fun about 'fun size'. but at the current rate of product shrinkage and price inflation, i'm sure they'll become the new candy bar shelf retail standard sooner than later.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Fun Size is perfect. I used to be like you guys and think it was some kind of rip off, but I've seen the light and realize that it's legitimately better. Two bites of Snickers vs. a full size Snickers? The first is perfect, and the latter is sugar overload. I used to mock the name "Fun Size", but it turns out it really is more fun!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

hitbyambulance wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:21 pm there is nothing fun about 'fun size'. but at the current rate of product shrinkage and price inflation, i'm sure they'll become the new candy bar shelf retail standard sooner than later.
The candy bar shelf retail standard these days is King Sized, not Regular, and definitely not Fun Sized.

If anything, candy bars will keep getting bigger to keep up with us gluttonous Americans, not smaller.
Hodor.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

As somebody who is really olde I can say for certain candy bars are NOT getting bigger. 3-4 ounces was standard for a nickle candy bar in my youth. They were bigger and cheaper than that for my parents youth.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:32 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:21 pm there is nothing fun about 'fun size'. but at the current rate of product shrinkage and price inflation, i'm sure they'll become the new candy bar shelf retail standard sooner than later.
The candy bar shelf retail standard these days is King Sized, not Regular, and definitely not Fun Sized.

If anything, candy bars will keep getting bigger to keep up with us gluttonous Americans, not smaller.
My experience is that they've generally been getting smaller while maintaining roughly the same price point, which is pretty much in line with other consumer goods.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:32 pm If anything, candy bars will keep getting bigger to keep up with us gluttonous Americans, not smaller.
That's my thunk from the logistics to profit side. Make them bigger and charge more. That's been food delivery in all its forms for most of my life.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

My fortune cookie was empty. I have no future!!!!
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:44 pm My fortune cookie was empty. I have no future!!!!
Was it "GOP Suey" brand? I've been hearing that a lot.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

it was Fortune Cookies brand. Beyond that I can tell you Ingredients and contains and I must admit "fortune" is not listed in the contains section. Wheat Flour, Soybean Products, BHA, BHT, and TBHQ are the only contents listed... Maybe fortunes are Soybean Products... Hmmm...
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

The zipper pull on my coat broke off today. If a guy can't wear the same winter coat for more than 18 years without something breaking, we're in a sorry state. Thanks Obama!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:47 pm If a guy can't wear the same winter coat for more than 18 years without something breaking, we're in a sorry state.
Aye.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i used to bike to the local Tom Thumb to buy something with my allowance - the cheapest i remember candy bars being was about... 23 cents? i remember being horrified the price would increase every year-couple years. one cent, two cents, three cents, how much would they be now? (i think it was 27 cents in 1984.) at some point i think they got to 37 cents which i thought was untenable, but i was resigned to reality by that point.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

A lot of today's candy bars didn't exist in my younger days. I'm glad they do now. :dance:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Kasey Chang wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:27 am
Kasey Chang wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:48 am So I went ahead and bought an S6 on Swappa. No, I don't need an upgrade "yet". I have too many accessories I need to keep using.
Turns out I didn't. My order somehow, on Paypal, did NOT go through. And the seller gave me 8 hours, then cancelled my order. *sigh*

My replacement front lens should arrive on Friday, barring any delays. It's supposed to be a full toolkit, complete with lessons. Wish me luck.
Replacement lens is here. Unfortunately, the repair process is extremely involved and requires a heat gun. Apparently, the phone has so much glue that one must completely disassemble the phone with a heat gun before attempting to remove the front lens from the LCD. F*** me.

I guess I could use a hair dryer, but really... And who knows if I'll have a working phone after that? Checked locally... Batteries Plus want $200 to replace the screen, even if it's just glass (same amount of work apparently). As I said before, Swappa will sell a gently used S6 for $118, and I can always claim insurance which has $150 deductible.

I am checking other local repair options. In the meanwhile, I'll just have to live with the cracked screen for a few more days.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

My employer canceled our work schedule today. Apparently, they don't want to be responsible for us delivering food out in unhealthy air. But they already made us work 1 hour at the yard helping load stuff then I drove out to Richmond, CA, and dropped off 10 orders before receiving orders to return to base and help unload.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Some local shops will do it for $165 or $170. One said they can do it within the hour. I know I can buy another phone for $50 less, but it'll take a couple days. ARGH.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I just had my iPhone 6s plus screen replaced.

Took 45 minutes, cost $87.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

They didn't have a front glass in white. Now I have a GOLD front (with a white button). I paid $10 extra for a tempered glass screen protector, add tax, and it ended up costing me $194. Still, it's done within 70 minutes. I'm using it now.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

you actually can use a hair dryer, from what i remember. it's not as hot, so it takes longer to heat up.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

My fingers have turned MUCH clumsier in the past two decades. I don't trust myself handling small electronics any more. *sigh*
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Always wanted one of these. Anyone else have a faceshield?

https://safishing.com/shop/buy-1-get-4- ... d-option-1

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Setting up a projector and 110" screen in the basement for my wife's treadmill running has proven to be more taxing on my skills than I thought. I work in IT, so "everything with a plug" has always been my job - but A/V is a different animal. It looks deceptively easy. It's all plugs... but you need to know which plugs go where, and if you need an amp, or if you need a different signal intercepting device to covert type A to type B or C ... :hawk:

After three kinds of cable adapter/splitter and a failed digital audio converter, I finally found a way to "extract" the sound from HDMI (using an HDMI Audio Extractor!) and push it through a 3.5mm audio jack so she can use her earbuds while running and listen to the movies. I hope. It arrives today.

Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Paingod wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:58 am Setting up a projector and 110" screen in the basement for my wife's treadmill running has proven to be more taxing on my skills than I thought. I work in IT, so "everything with a plug" has always been my job - but A/V is a different animal. It looks deceptively easy. It's all plugs... but you need to know which plugs go where, and if you need an amp, or if you need a different signal intercepting device to covert type A to type B or C ... :hawk:

After three kinds of cable adapter/splitter and a failed digital audio converter, I finally found a way to "extract" the sound from HDMI (using an HDMI Audio Extractor!) and push it through a 3.5mm audio jack so she can use her earbuds while running and listen to the movies. I hope. It arrives today.

Heh, I could have told you how to split off sound but only because I've been working back and forth from SVGA to HDMI and HDMI to SVGA adapaters to make sure every workstation can connect to any projector. I've seen a ton of HDMI adapters that split off sound but only 1/8th inch adapter. Never to RCA.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

We went with a simple option. We got a bluetooth transmitter that plugs into headphone jack on our tv. Of course, that would necessitate that your tv have a headphone jack. Which apparently is no longer a given. Otherwise I guess you'd need an adapter for the adapter....

Though in our case we are transmitting to some bluetooth speakers that are closer to the exercise equipment. But it would work for headphones as well.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

TheMix wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:27 am We went with a simple option. We got a bluetooth transmitter that plugs into headphone jack on our tv. Of course, that would necessitate that your tv have a headphone jack. Which apparently is no longer a given. Otherwise I guess you'd need an adapter for the adapter....

Though in our case we are transmitting to some bluetooth speakers that are closer to the exercise equipment. But it would work for headphones as well.
Yeah. We were going from a BluRay player with a single HDMI output (no RCA, 3.5mm, VGA, or other options) to a projector. The projector has 2 USB ports (input, I assume, not output), two HDMI ports, a coaxial port, and an array of 6 RCA ports (I assume for surround sound).

It seemed excessively complex to try and grab the output from the projector after a few attempts. Then I bumped into the HDMI audio extractor. HDMI in, 7 audio ports + HDMI out.
Black Lives Matter

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Decades ago when I was wondering how my life was going to turn out I didn't plan on living this long.
And I certainly didn't plan on taking care of somebody else's irresponsible adult children.
If they had a good internet connection I'd check myself into an old folks home.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The GoFundMe Scam
The lawyer for one of the suspects in an alleged GoFundMe scam released a secret bombshell tape recording Monday that he says shows his client's ex-boyfriend and the homeless veteran they were purportedly helping duped her into joining the $400,000 swindle.

Kate McClure's attorney played the tape on ABC's "Good Morning America," saying she made it after Johnny Bobbitt accused her and her boyfriend, Mark D'Amico, of cutting him out of his share of donations.

In the tape, which has not been verified by ABC News, McClure, 28, and D'Amico, 39, engage in a heated and expletive-laced argument in which she put the onus on him and he countered by saying she was complicit in the fleece.

"You started the whole f------ thing. You did everything. I had no part in any of this, and I'm the one taking f------ fall," McClure's is heard supposedly telling D'Amico on the recording.

D'Amico allegedly responded, seeming to say, "You don't go to jail for lying on TV, you dumb f---."
"The entire campaign was predicated on a lie," Burlington County Prosecutor Scott Coffina said at a news conference on Thursday. "Less than an hour after the GoFundMe campaign went live McClure, in a text exchange with a friend, stated that the story about Bobbitt assisting her was fake."
GoFundMe says it is refunding all donations made to Bobbitt and sent donors an email last week explaining how to get their money back.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

They closed Little Ceasar's 1. The original store was within waling distance of my house and is no more.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:03 pm They closed Little Ceasar's 1. The original store was within waling distance of my house and is no more.
Looks like it's up to you to edit the Wikipedia entry. They think it's open.
Black Lives Matter

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'm not man enough to edit a Wiki page. I wonder if they only kept it open for Mike Illitch and then chose to consolidate locations and close the dump after he passed. I was always surprised that if they were going to keep it open, why not just buy the complex and make it a sort of shrine.

I had 3 of them within a mile from my house. Now I have two but Little Ceasar's Store one the closest and most convenient (And while it was always busy, I never had to wait. They kept an organized staff). The trade off (for me) I guess, is the new consolidation store has a drive thru.

I guess that's one less excuse to eat fast food, though. That's probably a good thing. While I'm not fan and would rather have a good pizza if I'm going to wage war on my heart, I still had Little Ceasar's pizza probably twice a month. It was just too convenient. $5 and on demand. I'm sure this will cut me back.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

As reported in the other topic, the repaired GS6 lasted 3 days (remainder of Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and half of Tuesday). Then it just DIED. It was working one second. I stopped for restroom break. Head into Safeway, headed back out, put phone on stand... Screen off. Press home button... Nothing. Press power button, nothing. HOLD power button for 30 seconds. Nothing. Tried it in the case charging, connected to the charger directly, and variations thereof, nothing. Ended up wandering around San Jose and Milpitas and stuck in traffic for an hour looking for a Best Buy or Verizon store to buy a phone. Eventually managed to locate a BB and bought a Moto X4... And obviously, well overpaid. Paid $300 + tax. Similar model is on Amazon now for $179. :-P But beggers can't be choosers.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

It was raining in SF Bay Area, and my first day delivering in the rain. Turns out my jacket wasn't waterproof, and I am pretty much soaked by the end of delivery. My pants are dry though thanks to my rain pants. However, my feet were soaked. Fortunately, I was able to complete all delivery.

------

I rarely buy something for myself as a 'splurge'. I usually justify it with "I can use this later". So I bought an Instant Pot (pressure/slow cooker) as I want to make my own food (right now I'm mostly eating leftovers and microwave stuff, which aren't that healthy) and two pairs of Gunnar glasses (a pair of sunglasses and a pair computer reading glasses). They have a black friday special: 2 pairs (any model) for $95 (only on gunnar's own website with the code BLACKFRIDAY95). That makes the prices palatable, as Gunnars refurbs, goes for about $40-50. I don't know what's special about their lenses, but they did make watching my computer monitor more comfortable.

FWIW, I actually have two pairs of gunnars, but one's disappeared on me, and the other has a couple scratches on the lenses. I like how they look, relatively sharp angles (I don't like the acrylic smooth "geeky" look, and I can't stand aviators, wayfarers, and my face can't wear shields/wraparounds.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Edward Snowden explains blockchains. It's the first explanation that made sense to me. I'm still fuzzy on the day-to-day mechanics of how bitcoins work as a medium of exchange -- that is, how and where would I convert my dollars into bitcoin and back, and why would an average schmuck like me ever actually want to do that? -- but at least I have a better idea of what they are and why they work.