[Bethesda] Fallout 76

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Sepiche

Re: [Bethesda] Fallout 76

Post by Sepiche »

So I also learned tonight that I had some of the C.A.M.P. relocation stuff wrong.

The first time I relocated, I thought it said it scraped all the items when I placed the camp down, but it turns out when you relocate your camp it puts all the loose items and buildings into your store (accessed from the store tab in the build menu) so when you move camps you just have to place your items back down.

Took me a bit of trial and error to find a spot that could handle the weird shape of my base, but I finally found a better location and cleaned the design up a bit and added a second floor. Turns out when you're not blowing all your budget on gun turrets you can actually have a nice house. :D
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I found out this morning that workshop construction is persistent as control passes from one player to another on the server. I logged in near Wade Airport and found it unclaimed but heavily developed. I made a few more upgrades myself, then got my first PvP kill when someone came along and apparently tried to loot a locked container. It did not go well for him.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Ok, I'm in. Is it our character name or our Bethesda account name to share?
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
morlac

Post by morlac »

Probably Bethesda
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Now all this game needs is a $10 sale to bring in all of us losers to play with everyone else :P
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

morlac wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:27 pm Probably Bethesda
Yup, Bethesda account names.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

ok, in that case, I'm in as darkbowe.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Well, I learned a few valuable lessons when I was exploring last night.

I came across what looked like a miner camp or something that had a locked device that seemed to be extracting coal. So I went ahead and picked it, but the instant I picked it I got a bounty on my head and and a warning about stealing other players stuff. Kind of annoying since there was no obvious indicator it was a player camp, and no confirmation before it gave me the bounty.

Even worse, after doing a little research, apparently you can't pay off a bounty and some people seem to say a 10 cap bounty will expire after an hour or so in game, but others say you have to die to another player before you lose the bounty. :|

So, not wanting to scavenge and have someone kill me while I'm carrying a full load of junk, I figured I'd park my character in one of the starting towns without any junk on me and go afk, thinking surely someone will want the bounty and kill me. It's another testament to how uninterested most players are in PVP that I must have been standing there for an hour and not a single person attacked me. I even tried running around using emotes to try to get people to kill me, and no one would. :D

So, long story short, if I can't get my wife to kill me tonight to get the bounty off, I might beg one of you kind fellows on my friends list to kill me.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I was in a building with an interesting but challenging mission in it with another playing doing the same thing. He was stuck and couldn't find the next step but I did. I used emotes to get him to follow me to the location. he thanked me by saying, "There's power armor over there if you want it." Uhhh, OK thanks dude! So now I have three pieces of T-45 and three pieces of T-60... I'm level 17. Someday.

Anyway, I finally died in the game. Holy hell, the scorchbeast is ridiculous. Flying, radiation-spitting level 50 dragon looking thing that doesn't like to back off. I lost a bunch of junk because he spawn-camped me.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
morlac

Post by morlac »

I'm really digging the game so far. I hit level 7 and finally built a rudimentary Camp. I had just been following the quest line and side exploring up until then. I found crafting stations everywhere so didn't feel rushed to make one. I'm now heading up to the airbase area but taking the long route and following the river north. So far some good sight seeing.

Other players have been mostly helpful/ignored. I have gotten a nice rifle from one and plans form others. One guy level 11 tried to pick a fight and shot at me but I did not shoot back so no ganking for you. It's mostly just been an emote jam whenever I run across someone. The wasteland is funny like that.

I did finally die. I found what looked like a brand new car just sitting in a driveway. It was shiny and blue and looked like something from the jet-sons but with wheels. Such a sharp contrast to all the other rusted out husk in the wasteland it confused me. So I shot it while standing about 6 inches away. It exploded along with me in a giant fireball. Who's shiny now!

14 gig patch in progress ! :shock: !

Ill be on around a bunch this week as i'm off. Hit up Grimlag if you fancy some wasteland grouping.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Sepiche wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:27 am I came across what looked like a miner camp or something that had a locked device that seemed to be extracting coal. So I went ahead and picked it, but the instant I picked it I got a bounty on my head and and a warning about stealing other players stuff. Kind of annoying since there was no obvious indicator it was a player camp, and no confirmation before it gave me the bounty.
If it was a coal harvester, then you were probably at a workshop site. If you had checked the map, there should have been an icon identifying it as such, with mouse-over text showing who had claimed it and what resources were available.
coopasonic wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:37 am So now I have three pieces of T-45 and three pieces of T-60... I'm level 17. Someday.
I've readjusted my attitude about power armor. Instead of seeing them as rare and powerful artifacts to be hoarded, I now view them as expendable items, like food, water, meds and ammo. Any actual armor segments get scrapped, because they're too bulky to store for the time being. Since the frames don't have level requirements, I use them as I find them and scrap them after I run down the core. Fitting out a proper set of power armor will be deferred as an end-game project.
Last edited by Max Peck on Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Max Peck wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:08 pm
Sepiche wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:27 am I came across what looked like a miner camp or something that had a locked device that seemed to be extracting coal. So I went ahead and picked it, but the instant I picked it I got a bounty on my head and and a warning about stealing other players stuff. Kind of annoying since there was no obvious indicator it was a player camp, and no confirmation before it gave me the bounty.
If it was a coal harvester, then you were probably at a workshop site. If you had checked the map, there should have been an icon identifying it as such, with mouse-over text showing who had claimed it and what resources were available.
I considered that, but I was in the north central section of the map and there was no workshop marked anywhere nearby.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Sepiche wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:17 pm
Max Peck wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:08 pm
I considered that, but I was in the north central section of the map and there was no workshop marked anywhere nearby.
Interesting. Since the only resource harvester I had noticed in the C.A.M.P. build menu was for fertilizer, I thought that was the only type available outside the workshop sites. I'll have to look more closely at the build menu to see if there's something I've missed.

Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Max Peck wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:27 pm Interesting. Since the only resource harvester I had noticed in the C.A.M.P. build menu was for fertilizer, I thought that was the only type available outside the workshop sites. I'll have to look more closely at the build menu to see if there's something I've missed.
That was my understanding as well. With the caveat that it was late and I was pretty tired, as near as I can recall there wasn't even a workshop close to where I was. This was just south of that large taj mahal looking building on the map in the central north area.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:48 am Fallout 76’s Day One Patch is Larger Than the Actual Game

The day one patch for Fallout 76 is going to come in at a whopping 54 GB, making it larger than the actual game itself by about nine GB.
This turned out to be fake news. There was no day-one patch at all (on the PC, anyway) and the first post-launch patch today is "only" 15.18GB. :lol:

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Just a friendly reminder from Vault Boy -- don't let the apocalypse be an excuse to skip that prostate exam.

Enlarge Image

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Gamestop refuses refund on Fallout 76

https://www.facebook.com/tarenthis/post ... 6196699653
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Sepiche wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:37 pm
Max Peck wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:27 pm Interesting. Since the only resource harvester I had noticed in the C.A.M.P. build menu was for fertilizer, I thought that was the only type available outside the workshop sites. I'll have to look more closely at the build menu to see if there's something I've missed.
That was my understanding as well. With the caveat that it was late and I was pretty tired, as near as I can recall there wasn't even a workshop close to where I was. This was just south of that large taj mahal looking building on the map in the central north area.
I went back to the same spot last night, and sure enough no workshop. There's just a coal deposit on the cliffs near a miner camp, but apparently you can eventually build a coal extractor to put on it. I've also seen iron and other deposits around which makes me wonder if you can cap those eventually too.

The thing my memory recalled as a "Taj Mahal" was actually a Buddhist temple with an event to defend it from super mutants. I started it to see how tough it was and was on the way to getting trounced by the many high level super mutants that showed up, but thankfully a couple of nice dudes in powered armor showed up and did all the heavy lifting for me. The final boss in the attack was a level 85 super mutant warlord and about 20 high level super mutants. :shock: Got a gamma gun out of it... now to try to find it's reportedly very rare ammo.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I put in a few more hours with it over the last few days and I still have about the same feeling I did in the initial stages of the game. I'm enjoying it somewhat for now, but it definitely has a very short shelf life for me. I tend to agree with most of the criticisms I've read so far. In trying to appeal to both online and single player fans, they've managed to dilute both aspects of the game.

But since I bought the download version, I can't go to my local gamestop and tear the place up. So I'm going to tip over my coffee table after placing glasses on it without using a coaster. That'll show me!
Covfefe!
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Aaand finally hit 25 and got to put on my powered armor I've been saving. That sure freed up a lot of room in my stash. :P

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

All I see is a leg.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

They'll never see me coming... hear me yes, but never see me.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hop ... hop ... hop ...
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Sepiche wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:19 am
Sepiche wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:37 pm
I went back to the same spot last night, and sure enough no workshop. There's just a coal deposit on the cliffs near a miner camp, but apparently you can eventually build a coal extractor to put on it. I've also seen iron and other deposits around which makes me wonder if you can cap those eventually too.
That makes sense. I ran across a fairly elaborate player camp near Site Alpha this morning. The door into the player's building was locked, as were the large water purifiers that they had set up. Presumably resource harvesters and lockable containers/doors are things that can be acquired. But all their fancy lock technology didn't stop me from raiding their mutfruit orchard. :lol:

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

hepcat wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:51 pm I put in a few more hours with it over the last few days and I still have about the same feeling I did in the initial stages of the game. I'm enjoying it somewhat for now, but it definitely has a very short shelf life for me. I tend to agree with most of the criticisms I've read so far. In trying to appeal to both online and single player fans, they've managed to dilute both aspects of the game.
I seem be smack in the middle of their target demographic. I'm happy as a pig in mud with Fallout 76, which I suppose is not surprising given that I have at least a couple hundred hours sunk into Fallout 4 survivor mode. At some point it will be pushed onto the back burner, as is the fate of all games, but I expect that I'll get more than my money's worth by then.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Despite my original misgivings, I am having a lot of fun with it. I am getting to the point where I need to figure out what my end-game stats are going to be before I start throwing points away. I need to research perk cards more closely as I have basically just been throwing points around randomly to deal with short term problems.

My CAMP is still just a box with crafting stations, turrets and a water purifier.

I am primarily using a sniper rifle, with a shotgun for close up work and a ski sword for enemies that are hard to hit with a shotgun (bloatflys and molerats). I am trying to switch from the lower tier weapons to combat shotguns and combat rifles, but I haven't collected enough to have the important mods for them.

My armor is pretty random and I don't really make it myself. Sometimes I upgrade it or add pocketed, but otherwise just pick up whatever has the highest defense.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Sepiche wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:36 pm Image
I liked that joke back when it was about Rock Band.
Enlarge Image

Also, it does have a story. They've simply framed it in such a way that it doesn't matter if you ignore it.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Can anyone confirm that Morgantown has the little university tramway system? If it does that would be a cool mod to fix it up and ride it around.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:36 pm Can anyone confirm that Morgantown has the little university tramway system? If it does that would be a cool mod to fix it up and ride it around.
Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

Damn you GMG and your 40% off, I have no time for this! I guess I can mess around a bit and get a feel for the game.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh wow thanks Max. That is too kool!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm going to have to give this a whirl someday. It doesn't sound like some of my early concerns turned out to be major issues.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

I failed my Black Friday saving throw and ended up ordering this, in spite of all my misgivings and solitary nature. We'll see how this goes when it eventually shows up.
-mf
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:35 am I failed my Black Friday saving throw and ended up ordering this, in spite of all my misgivings and solitary nature.
If you don't join a team it is incredibly solitary. I mean like almost stressfully solitary. It is a BIG world to have only 24 inhabitants. You listen to holotapes, talk to robots and kill muties (ghouls, scorched and supermutants plus various mutated creatures and the odd robot). Every rare once in a while you will run into another player and it will shock you, like you forgot you were playing an online game at all and if it weren't for the all the little dots on the map representing other players, you really could forget that.

I'm level 34 now and am still enjoying my solitary journey. Scorchbeasts are still the bane of my existence and my heart rate increases every time I hear the rhythm of their wings. I still remember the first time I heard that sound and moved closer and closer to figure out what it was... and the terror that quickly followed. One day I will kill one of those things... maybe. My sniper rifle does 102 damage, 2.5x on a sneak attack, +30% from rifleman perk, still barely scratch them.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Another post card from Appalachia...

Enlarge Image

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

More evidence the sun never shines in West Virginia.

I have used Photomode once in the game. It's a nice pic, but I can't be bothered to find it or host it so you don't get to see!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Damn, it's currently down to $35 on Amazon. Ugh.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)