NHL 2018-19 Season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

RunningMn9

Re: NHL 2018-19 Season

Post by RunningMn9 »

The Meal wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:24 am Buffalo looks to be an entertaining team this year. I hope they can make a run at one of the wildcard spots. I'm not as pro-Eichel as many others, but they've got lots of other pieces coming into focus. Hopefully my Wings can make an honest rivalry out of things in the next few years.
They've been entertaining me so far. That's more than I can say for a long time. I understand that they aren't a good team yet, but you can definitely see a core building some chemistry together, and that's nice. Eichel's line has been fun to watch. It took a few games, but they seem much more in sync with each other than they did the first couple of games. Dahlin hasn't wowed me yet, but in fairness he's like 14 years old. :)

I'm hoping that at last there is light at the end of the tunnel.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

pr0ner wrote:Rittich knows it's over in OT when Johnny Hockey gets a breakaway.

I like it!
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Joel Quenneville, come on down, you're next up on the NHL coaching game called "You're Fired!".

Any bets on where he's coaching by the end of the week?
Hodor.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

LA makes the most sense since they're "coachless" but I guess St Louis could make a good case to bring him back
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

This is going to make practice awkward.
I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:31 am Joel Quenneville, come on down, you're next up on the NHL coaching game called "You're Fired!".

Any bets on where he's coaching by the end of the week?
Almost gave up my season tickets this year.
Now I'm kinda wishing I did.......
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

They can bring Pully back!
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Holy shit, I didn't think they'd actually fire Coach Q! Preseason predictions was for a sucky season anyway, why blame the coach for having crappy players?
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

You can't teach speed, and from my limited viewing the Blackhawks have looked slow. Of course, it's rare they fire the GM ahead of his coach (maybe he'll still be there to make a pitch to Columbus for Panerin?). All that said, 10 years is a long time for one voice in the locker room. As the Ottawa players have expertly demonstrated, it's pretty easy to start tuning out coaches.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

It's a shame though, you'd think with 3 cups, he'd be able to walk away on his own terms. The Hawks do a better job than most pro franchises in maintaining good relations with former coaches, though, so it won't be an unceremonious kick to the curb. Unless the new guy is going put the veterans out to pasture and start training up the kiddies, I'm not sure this move is going to really accomplish anything.
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:02 am It's a shame though, you'd think with 3 cups, he'd be able to walk away on his own terms. The Hawks do a better job than most pro franchises in maintaining good relations with former coaches, though, so it won't be an unceremonious kick to the curb. Unless the new guy is going put the veterans out to pasture and start training up the kiddies, I'm not sure this move is going to really accomplish anything.
Opinion on the value of Q seems to very very split. I've heard folks say that you should hand him the keys to the office and let him tell you when he's done doing the job, and I've heard others say he's a dinosaur that could only coach with any success when he had 4 HoFers on his team. (I think he showed his ability to make in-series adjustments while he was with Chicago, he had a terrific record of going 2-2 in the first two games of lots of series, then closing out the next two after catching on to what the other teams were doing.)

If Bowman wants to start jettisoning some of those out-of-whack contracts and Q was what prevented that from happening, then this could be a good move for the Hawks, long term. On the other hand if Bowman is incapable of fixing the mistakes he made in previous contracts, then bringing in the new coach (former player, drafted in the same draft class as Duncan Keith, IIRC) is really just acting as a placeholder until some new GM can give him the pieces he needs to put a 2020-era team together. After PIT's dual-cups, the game has evolved again (to something a lot more watchable, IMO) and there are some who think that dino-coaches (like Q) really don't have a place in it. CHI may be out ahead of the curve in terms of bringing in fresh minds for winning in this new era.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Yeah, I don't really know what went on behind the scenes. Moving HoF-bound players is tricky for any organization since they will be fan favorites forever. It's also likely to create discord in the locker room if old leadership is asked to step aside.

Speaking of HoF players, keep in mind that Denis Savard was coaching that same group to disastrous effect before he got canned in favor of Q. Yes, Q was fortunate to have the talent to win; how many teams win championships without talent? Look at all of the championships Phil Jackson won over a 20 year span, he coached some of the greatest players in history, sure, but so many championships can't be considered lucky happenstance.
Black Lives Matter
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

they have too much salary given to too little players, half the cap is given to 5 players, some of them who aren't even close to be worth that salary.

I mean seabrook at over 6.5m is ridiculous and he's signed until 2024 nobody will take that contract unless the hawks pays a hefty price in young prospect / drafts picks.
Same for Toews who's 10.5m salary was only given to him as a cup rewards, he's never broken 70pts in a season, I understand he used to be an elite two way players but another elite two way center (Bergeron) earns 6.8m and a similar production, again, nobody will take that contract unless the hawks pays them.

Keith used to be a beast but has slowed down so much he's not really serviceable anymore but at least his salary is managable under 6m.

Kane at 10.5m is also ridiculous , he's *maybe* the only one a team could grab , he was insane with Panarin who they for some crazy reason traded for Saad who is also overpaid...

And Crawford is always injured.

I have no idea how the team can rebuild or become competitive again, it'll take a few years to dump players (maybe "gift" some to Seattle?)
Isgrimnur wrote:
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

NHL .500

Growing up the NHL ranked team standings based on a point system that was easy to understand. A win was worth 2 points, a tie 1 point, and a loss 0 points.

Since that time there have been a few modifications. They got rid of ties, which have led to a few different ways of keeping track of the standings. The worst was a many-column system which required keeping track of overtime Wins and Losses (OTW and OTL) which resulted in a complicated record keeping system: Chicago Blackhawks (4-3-0-2). Today's system requires keeping track of Wins (2 points), Losses (0 points) and OT Losses (1 point). And when it comes to tie-breakers at the end of the season, there's a ROW (regulation Wins, i.e., wins that didn't go to overtime) column which is required.

Something like 25-30% of the games go to overtime, which means that three points are issued in the standings between the two teams. There are a couple of implications of note here: 1. there is less separation in the standings which means teams appear to be "in the hunt" longer into the season (which is good for fan involvement and making money), and 2. teams win percentages are artificially inflated.

Related to that second point, as we approach the season's quarter-pole the Red Wings, who lost six of their first seven games this season, have just clawed their way back to "NHL .500" last night by bringing their record to 8-8-2 (8 Wins, 8 Losses, 2 OT Losses) which is good for 18 points in 18 games (which is 18/18 = 1.00 point per game, which is 1.00/2 = 0.500 vs. possible total earnable points). (But really they've won 8 and lost 10, it's just they pushed two of those losses into OT before getting beat, earning a couple of consolation points.)

Compare "NHL .500" for the Red Wings to the rest of the league. Out of the 30 other teams in the league, how many teams would you expect are worse than NHL .500? The answer, as of today, is five: OTT (17 points in 18 games played), NJD (15 in 16 GP), CHI (16 in 18), LVK (15 in 18), and the woeful LAK (11 in 17).

The league loves this metric because as of today casual fans of 25 of 31 teams can look in their local newspaper read on the internet that their team is at or above middling, and isn't that cool that their team is better than half the league?

There are lots of ways to "fix" this issue, but from the league's perspective, there's absolutely no reason to.

Oh, and some guys went into the Hall of Fame earlier this week, and during the resulting in-season GM meetings, the big-wigs actually decided to recommend no rules changes to the competition committee for the first time I can remember.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

I don't mind the new format (I don't really care for the shootout but 3 on 3 OT is amazing).

What I'd like to see though is 3 points for a win, a win, no matter what, should be rewarding VS gliding in OT hoping for half a win, it's a loss, no matter how you look at it.
Or maybe make 3 points for a win in regular time, 2 points for a win in OT/SO and one point for a loss in OT/SO.

That way teams will try and win in regular time vs going for the guaranteed 1 point.
Isgrimnur wrote:
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

A return to my "points" soapbox ... :horse:

Scenario 1 (strongly preferred)
Two points for a regulation or overtime win
Zero points for a regulation or overtime loss

Overtime is unlimited 3-on-3. No shootout.

Scenario 2
Zero points for a regulation or overtime loss

Overtime is 10 minutes max 3-on-3.
Shootout loss is zero points. Shootout win is one point.

edit = using copy/paste means I can make the same mistake twice! :oops:
Last edited by Jolor on Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jolor wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:09 pm
Zero points for a regulation or overtime win
That would certainly keep the Blackhawks from falling further out of contention...
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Jolor wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:09 pm A return to my "points" soapbox ... :horse:

Scenario 1 (strongly preferred)

Overtime is unlimited 3-on-3. No shootout.

Scenario 2

Overtime is 10 minutes max 3-on-3.
Shootout loss is zero points. Shootout win is one point.
So you get 2 points if you win and 0 points if you win. That works out just great!

Also, the whole issue the NHL has is that some games are worth more points than others. Your second scenario maintains that disparity.

It will either remain the status quo or go 3-2-1-0. Nothing else will ever happen.
Hodor.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

edited to confirm my lack of attention to detail.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Given this statement:
The Meal wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:40 am There are lots of ways to "fix" this issue, but from the league's perspective, there's absolutely no reason to.
I'll propose my own "solution" to the goofiness of the current system. But there's no pressure on the league to make any change whatsoever.

3-on-3 hockey is generally really really fantastic. It's last-minute-(or last two minutes, LOL Pat Roy)-when-the-netminder-is-pulled can't miss drama that keeps you standing and riveted to the drama unfolding. And it lasts five minutes.

Lengthening 3-on-3 is also a non-starter. The League would love it (the League would LOVE LOVE LOVE 60 minutes of it, considering what it'd do to how much they have to spend on fielding a team), but the players union would never allow it to be extended. So much like there's no pressure to change the current points system, there's no way that 3-on-3 gets extended. (But I love it.)

And I agree with the sentiment that the shoot-out is pretty much a last ditch attempt at sending folks home with a winner and a loser, but shouldn't really have much of an effect on the points in the schedule. (And that's considering the Wings' recent history in shoot-outs is something like 17-2, thank you Frans Neilson.)

My proposal is that a regulation win is worth 5 points, a regulation loss is worth 0 points.
An overtime win is worth 4 points, an overtime loss is worth 1 point.
A shoot-out win is worth 3 points, a shootout loss is worth 2 points.

Boom. Mic dropped.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Sabres definitely look a *bit* better than they did last year. :)
Make up bags of change
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Ok, what is up with Gritty playing with his purple navel in that video. The guy keeps getting weirder.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Mike Yeo and Todd McLellan have both been fired.

After 0 in season coach firings last season, we're at 4 less than two months in this year.
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

It’s exciting times. It can’t last, but it’s been a crazy first 24 games. Very exciting after the garbage they put on the ice the last few years.
Make up bags of change
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Sabres looked terrific tonight, but the Wings kept it close. Larkin’s goal was a travesty (second string goalie goal). I think it's fair to have some expectations in Buffalo this year.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I look forward to being able to devote some time to watching the 2019 portion of the season and actually having something to look forward to.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I think it was mid-February before they had this many wins last season. That’s a helluva change. To go from worst in the NHL to temporarily being in first place in the NHL almost a third of the way into the season? It makes the travesty that is the Bills easier to handle. :)
Make up bags of change
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

The underlying numbers don't support the Sabres maintaining this level of play but I admit it is pretty surprising to see them doing so well so early. And you can't take those points away once they're earned!
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

OT winner against San Jose, 10 straight wins. Three in shootouts, four in overtime, all by one goal.

:horse:
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

RunningMn9 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:07 am To go from worst in the NHL to temporarily being in first place in the NHL almost a third of the way into the season? It makes the travesty that is the Bills easier to handle. :)
Avalanche certainly helped Buffalo keep that 1st place spot tonight by defeating Nashville :)

Colorado and Buffalo are the only 2 teams remaining with only 6 regulation losses this season.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

gilraen wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:48 pmColorado and Buffalo are the only 2 teams remaining with only 6 regulation losses this season.
That's likely to change soon for Buffalo. :)

Three of their next four games are against the other three teams in the Top Four.
Make up bags of change
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Detroit's Bertuzzi (and possibly Larkin) should both be suspended. Punching a player on the ice *from the bench* and holding his stick to keep him from moving away from the boards - WTF???
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Where would Tyler Bertuzzi ever learn to do such a thing?
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Hopefully Uncle Todd can tell him what it's like getting suspended.
Hodor.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Two games for Bertuzzi.

Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Here’s hoping he takes the right message away from this and keeps his nose clean from here on out.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
The NHL’s Board of Governors voted Tuesday to place a 32nd franchise in Seattle, starting in the 2021-22 season.

The unanimous vote marks the league’s second expansion in three years and places a team in a historic and burgeoning hockey market. The still-unnamed team will play in the Pacific Division, while the Arizona Coyotes will move to the Central.

The Seattle team’s ownership group, led by private equity executive David Bonderman, will invest nearly $1.5 billion to cover the $650 million expansion fee and $800 million to renovate Seattle’s Key Arena, which will be renamed Seattle Center Arena, and to build an off-site practice facility.
Seattle has gone without a major professional hockey team since the Seattle Metropolitans of the Pacific Coast Hockey Association folded in 1924. In 1917, that team became the first American club to win the Stanley Cup, defeating the Montreal Canadiens.

The prospective ownership group had pushed for the league to allow the team to begin play in 2020, but ultimately agreed to 2021 over concerns about construction time for the renovated arena.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:48 pm Here’s hoping he takes the right message away from this and keeps his nose clean from here on out.
I didn't get to watch the DET/COL game (it was during a family vacation), and the only view of the play I have seen was the DOPS video. I did go back and review Wings fans' reactions to the event (which, predictably spanned a wide spectrum, though the median expectation on the marvelously homer-centric website I follow was 5-10 games for Bertuzzi). I believe what was explained on the video as Calvert's attempt to free up his stick involved, from the perspective of the involved players on the Wings' bench, a distinct spearing motion. Of course all of that behavior were Steps 2 and beyond, where Step 1 was Dylan Larkin grabbing Calvert's stick in an attempt to slow him from joining the play on the ice (which apparently went unpenalized during the game, though clearly shouldn't have been unpenalized). I don't think there's equivalence between behavior on Calvert's vs. Larkin & Bertuzzi's actions, and I think a distinct sucker punch from the bench to an already involved player warrants at least 2 games. It's a shame this is Bertuzzi's introduction to casual fans of the league (or to those who don't follow the Wings with any regularity, at least), as one of his greatest attributes is his on-ice intelligence. It's an even bigger shame that he's going to be known for his lunk-headed play against Colorado while wearing the name BERTUZZI stitched to the back of his jersey. But here we are.

Regarding Seattle, the best name suggestion I've heard so far is the Totems, but I haven't heard any suggestions I truly love. The 2021 introduction should be pretty good timing for that franchise (no extreme schedule pressure on the arena side). And hopefully Ken Holland is interested in trying to one-up McPhee's work in Vegas (while Yzerman is enjoying the early stages of his long career at the helm of the Detroit ship). We shall see.