2018 NCAA Football Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Apollo

Re: 2018 NCAA Football Thread

Post by Apollo »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:34 am Wow. Can you imagine how bad Purdue would have beat us?...
It's funny, when I first heard the final score my first thought was to feel sorry for a guy on the internet I have never met. :(

I was reeeaaally hoping to see Michigan in the final four but look at it this way: Now it'll be Urban Meyer that gets chewed up and spit out by The Big Red Machine. :twisted:
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:21 pm USC is keeping Clay Helton. I suspect this is more a function of not having a President, and the Medical School lawsuits, than a desire to keep him.

I'm interested to see who goes to Colorado. One name I've seen thrown out is Jeff Tedford - I expect someone will snap him up this year (sorry Scuzz!).

One intriguing name I haven't heard mentioned much for jobs, but who I think could do well is Neuheisel. He didn't get a good shot when he came back to UCLA (will to fund a good program wasn't there until after he left).
I think Tedford had something like 20+ seniors this year, including the QB and top WR. But it has been the defense that has been the biggest turnaround under Tedford. I would hate to see him go, and there has been no talk of him leaving that I have heard, but I wouldn't begrudge him another shot. I just don't know if Colorado would be the place.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Apollo wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:56 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:34 am Wow. Can you imagine how bad Purdue would have beat us?...
It's funny, when I first heard the final score my first thought was to feel sorry for a guy on the internet I have never met. :(

I was reeeaaally hoping to see Michigan in the final four but look at it this way: Now it'll be Urban Meyer that gets chewed up and spit out by The Big Red Machine. :twisted:
Don't mean to speak for ILB but the only elite college coach that's more of a dick than Saban is Meyer. Getting eviscerated by proxy by the former after directly by the latter isn't much of a silver lining.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Scuzz wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:02 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:21 pm USC is keeping Clay Helton. I suspect this is more a function of not having a President, and the Medical School lawsuits, than a desire to keep him.

I'm interested to see who goes to Colorado. One name I've seen thrown out is Jeff Tedford - I expect someone will snap him up this year (sorry Scuzz!).

One intriguing name I haven't heard mentioned much for jobs, but who I think could do well is Neuheisel. He didn't get a good shot when he came back to UCLA (will to fund a good program wasn't there until after he left).
I think Tedford had something like 20+ seniors this year, including the QB and top WR. But it has been the defense that has been the biggest turnaround under Tedford. I would hate to see him go, and there has been no talk of him leaving that I have heard, but I wouldn't begrudge him another shot. I just don't know if Colorado would be the place.
I personally don't want him back in the Pac-12 - he owned UCLA while he was at Cal (and continued that this year :grund: ). He's a great coach tho, and would be a great fit just about anywhere, I just am tired of losing to him (and Shaw, much as I love him too).
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:21 pm I had heard the rumors about Mack returning to UNC. I think the assumption is that he'll be a CEO type of head coach like with Herm Edwards at ASU (which has, shockingly, not been a complete disaster so far). I can't imagine he's in it for the long haul given his age (he's 67), but I guess UNC would like to reset the baseline.
Confirmed.

That's a real head-scratcher. I honestly don't know what to make of it.

I'll admit that I didn't know about Brown's previous UNC stint prior to Texas. Makes a little more sense through that lens, I guess.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:51 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:21 pm I had heard the rumors about Mack returning to UNC. I think the assumption is that he'll be a CEO type of head coach like with Herm Edwards at ASU (which has, shockingly, not been a complete disaster so far). I can't imagine he's in it for the long haul given his age (he's 67), but I guess UNC would like to reset the baseline.
Confirmed.

That's a real head-scratcher. I honestly don't know what to make of it.

I'll admit that I didn't know about Brown's previous UNC stint prior to Texas. Makes a little more sense through that lens, I guess.
Yeah Mack had good success there before Texas (FSU was his bugaboo there) and like ILB said I think Mack was hired as a CEO type. According to ppl on Oeangebloods(as toxic a site as there is on the internet fwiw) Fedora supposedly ruined UNC's rapport with the state HS coaches in NC and they think Mack is the man to repair that. Which if true Mack is great at. He's also great at fundraising, glad-handing the big money donors, and just selling the program in general. I'm really curious about his assistant hires too...if he can get Kingsbury that might be good for both parties. Gives the program instant cred on the offensive side of the ball and could excite recruits and Kingsbury gets a little more HC grooming and takes over the program in 3-5 years. But I've seen Kingsbury supposedly going everywhere from USC to the NFL to taking a year off so who knows
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Utah's first conference title game tonight. I know the whole conference title thing is old hat for lots of other team's fans around here, but I'm finding it really damn hard to concentrate on work. Just want to fast forward to 6:00. :)

For the record, I think we're gonna get whooped, but will hope to be pleasantly surprised. Utah is 1-10 all time against Washington, and Whit is 1-5 against Petersen (going back to his Boise days). Shelly (QB) and Shyne (RB) have filled in admirably the last three games since our starters went down, but they haven't faced a defense anything like what they'll see from Washington tonight. Utah's defense is really good, but Myles Gaskin has been our kryptonite every time we've played them.

If Utah wins, it's gonna require everything to go right, and we will probably need either a defensive or special teams score as well. Would love to see Covey get one, since the Huskies damn near killed him in the first meeting. Stranger things have happened (i.e. Alabama in the Sugar Bowl), so I'll just hope that we can find a way to put it all together tonight.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Texas Tech hires Utah State's Matt Wells to replace Kliff Kingsbury as its coach
Wells, a two-time Mountain West Coach of the Year, saw immediate success when taking over Utah State, going 19-9 in his first two seasons, including 13-3 in MWC play. But the Aggies suffered a slide the following three seasons, combining to go 15-23 from 2015-17 with a 3-9 mark in 2016. However, 2018 has been a complete rebound for Utah State, which stands at 10-2 (7-1 MWC).

Wells will take offensive coordinator David Yost and defensive coordinator Keith Patterson with him to Lubbock, Texas, the Red Raiders confirmed in their release.

Kingsbury went 35-40 in six seasons at Texas Tech, his alma mater. He was fired on Nov. 25 and has since been reportedly targeted as the leading candidate for the USC offensive coordinator job.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The Oregonian has been doing a blistering series about how mis-managed the Pac12 is under commissioner Larry Scott. Part 4 is here, and it includes links to the other parts as well. It's a long read, but well worth it.

The numbers around expenditures compared to other conferences are staggering, as is Scott's continued arrogance and poor leadership. This dude really needs to be gone.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:33 am Utah's first conference title game tonight. I know the whole conference title thing is old hat for lots of other team's fans around here, but I'm finding it really damn hard to concentrate on work. Just want to fast forward to 6:00. :)

For the record, I think we're gonna get whooped, but will hope to be pleasantly surprised. Utah is 1-10 all time against Washington, and Whit is 1-5 against Petersen (going back to his Boise days). Shelly (QB) and Shyne (RB) have filled in admirably the last three games since our starters went down, but they haven't faced a defense anything like what they'll see from Washington tonight. Utah's defense is really good, but Myles Gaskin has been our kryptonite every time we've played them.

If Utah wins, it's gonna require everything to go right, and we will probably need either a defensive or special teams score as well. Would love to see Covey get one, since the Huskies damn near killed him in the first meeting. Stranger things have happened (i.e. Alabama in the Sugar Bowl), so I'll just hope that we can find a way to put it all together tonight.
They may be playing in some pretty wet conditions if the weatherman here is right. Cold second storm due in this evening will hit up there earlier than here. I don't know if that gives either team an advantage,

Fresno State will be playing Boise State in a possible snow storm. I think that will hurt Fresno. But then again the game is in Boise so it probably doesn't matter. If they were playing in Fresno I think we could win.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Hell of a game from two really good defenses. Only TD was one of the flukiest pick-6's I've ever seen by Washington. Give Washington credit, they dominated the game, but Utah did a great job keeping them off the scoreboard. A blatant missed call on Utah's final 4th-and-12 play (the Washington defender hit the Utah receiver WAY early, but no call), but it's Pac 12 refs...I expect nothing less. Covey going out on the opening kickoff of the 2nd half was huge, and the offense just had no answers today.

Fun season, huge bummer to see it end like that.

The winning (and only) TD. :grund: :grund: :grund:

EDIT: Watching the chorus of boos rain down on Larry Scott as he handed out the trophy was the perfect ending to that game. Fuck that guy.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Utah, as a program, has come a long way in a short time, IMHO. I didn't even know you guys existed until Urban Meyer went undefeated there. Then there was the beat down of Alabama in the Sugar Bowl and later an invitation to join the Pac-12 and play with the Big Dogs. And now you clearly would have won the Pac 12 if not for some very unfortunate injuries during the season. There's a lot of positives that Utah fans can take from their first trip to the Conference Championship. :wink:
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Apollo wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:58 am Utah, as a program, has come a long way in a short time, IMHO. I didn't even know you guys existed until Urban Meyer went undefeated there. Then there was the beat down of Alabama in the Sugar Bowl and later an invitation to join the Pac-12 and play with the Big Dogs. And now you clearly would have won the Pac 12 if not for some very unfortunate injuries during the season. There's a lot of positive that Utah fans can take from their first trip to the Conference Championship. :wink:
Overall, the season was a success...just sucked to see it end like that. Especially since Whit said after the game that it looks like Covey is done for the year and won't play in the bowl game. Why he decided to return that kickoff instead of fair-catching it - like he has done for literally every other playable kickoff this year - I will never know.

Gotta give Utah credit, we went up against the Pac12's all time win leader and UW's all-time rushing leader with basically our second string offense, and were a couple bad bounces away.

Oh, and Joel Klatt pretty much sums up my thoughts on that bullshit ending.

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

What happened to Browning anyway? There was a time he sounded like a sure fire top NFL prospect. Now I would be surprised if he is drafted. While Petersen has never produced a big time NFL QB he has had QB's at Boise who were great in the system he ran. Browning seemed to fade in that system/
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Scuzz wrote:What happened to Browning anyway? There was a time he sounded like a sure fire top NFL prospect. Now I would be surprised if he is drafted. While Petersen has never produced a big time NFL QB he has had QB's at Boise who were great in the system he ran. Browning seemed to fade in that system/
Offensive line. Lost their possible first round pick for the season (until he played last night - may still get a redshirt) and Gaskin's injury.

Also young WR'S, since Pettis left.

However, looking at the game last night, I'm really not sold on his arm strength for the NFL.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Ugly ugly game by Texas. Defense actually wasn't awful but our offfense was pretty terrible; our biggest problem, by far, though was the penalties. Think we had over 150 yards and most of those were of the 15 yard variety. We're not good enough as a team to overcome that vs Kansas(seriously, if we'd had this many penalty yards last week I do think we'd have lost that game), definitely not going to do it vs OU. Oh well at least we're trending in the right direction, though if we're not careful and we look this crappy in a bowl we'll lose a lot of the momentum we've built up this year. Kind of funny that Herman's slogan for this year was 'finish' something we were, admittedly, historically bad at last year. But while we weren't program-killing awful this year we weren't much more than .500 in close games. I suppose that's part of the process of 'learning to win'.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

GungHo wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:04 pm Ugly ugly game by Texas. Defense actually wasn't awful but our offfense was pretty terrible; our biggest problem, by far, though was the penalties. Think we had over 150 yards and most of those were of the 15 yard variety. We're not good enough as a team to overcome that vs Kansas(seriously, if we'd had this many penalty yards last week I do think we'd have lost that game), definitely not going to do it vs OU. Oh well at least we're trending in the right direction, though if we're not careful and we look this crappy in a bowl we'll lose a lot of the momentum we've built up this year. Kind of funny that Herman's slogan for this year was 'finish' something we were, admittedly, historically bad at last year. But while we weren't program-killing awful this year we weren't much more than .500 in close games. I suppose that's part of the process of 'learning to win'.
Baffled by some of those calls.

Big 12 refs are not my favorite. Watching Memphis/UCF now and they're letting them play.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I am rooting for Georgia to upset Bama, although that probably means both teams end up in the playoffs. A prime reason we need an 8 team playoff.
One extra week, that is all it would take.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

So now we get Oklahoma? Blech.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Jalen Hurts conjures up a storybook ending at Alabama! Holy cow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never a more deserving person than Hurts to do this!
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

I mean Tua -- 0 for 5 for 3rd down conversions. Jalen comes in and goes 5/5.
It's 34 bowl victories.

Apollo

Post by Apollo »

I had to catch the first half on the radio, but I wonder if the injury Tua sustained on the very first drive had anything to do with his performance. He was in the tent a long time and when he came out they said he was injured but wouldn't specify what the injury was. Makes you wonder... :think:
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Apollo wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:13 pm I had to catch the first half on the radio, but I wonder if the injury Tua sustained on the very first drive had anything to do with his performance. He was in the tent a long time and when he came out they said he was injured but wouldn't specify what the injury was. Makes you wonder... :think:
It was his left ankle which is his push off ankle when throwing and his throws were off the whole game.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

That's not the ALA I was telling my ou friends 'would detonate' Kyler Murray. Please fix this before Jan. Thx
OR

-Hiccup
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

GungHo wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:20 pm That's not the ALA I was telling my ou friends 'would detonate' Kyler Murray. Please fix this before Jan. Thx
a month to get rested will help a lot.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Finally Fresno State won on the Smurf Turf. :D
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Scuzz wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:34 am Finally Fresno State won on the Smurf Turf. :D
Any time Boise loses, it’s a good day.

Happy for Fresno, your dudes had a hell of a season.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

msduncan wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:01 pm I mean Tua -- 0 for 5 for 3rd down conversions. Jalen comes in and goes 5/5.
Congrats! I really wanted to see how Alabama responded when under pressure and they delivered. I also love that Hurts was the guy for the comeback in a weird sort of symmetry. I think Tua‘s performance under pressure probably cost him the Heisman (all those drops in the first half didn't help at all), but he was off a lot too asked was definitely trying to win the game with almost every pass.

Kirby Smart must feel cursed however. UGa has led for something like 110 of 120+ minutes against Alabama and yet he's 0-2.

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

The increased noise about how Georgia deserves to be in the playoff and Notre Dame does not needs to go away.

It's pretty clear it should be Alabama vs Oklahoma and Clemson vs Notre Dame.
Hodor.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Oh, good, the committee got it right.
Hodor.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Pyperkub wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:32 am
msduncan wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:01 pm I mean Tua -- 0 for 5 for 3rd down conversions. Jalen comes in and goes 5/5.
Congrats! I really wanted to see how Alabama responded when under pressure and they delivered. I also love that Hurts was the guy for the comeback in a weird sort of symmetry. I think Tua‘s performance under pressure probably cost him the Heisman (all those drops in the first half didn't help at all), but he was off a lot too asked was definitely trying to win the game with almost every pass.

Kirby Smart must feel cursed however. UGa has led for something like 110 of 120+ minutes against Alabama and yet he's 0-2.
Well I have a bit of insider information on why Tua didn't look himself (besides the injuries).

Yesterday morning they interviewed Tua, and he mentioned off offhandedly that his dad hit him with a belt when he threw interceptions when he was growing up. This created a bit of a media firestorm yesterday all during the day. His phone was blown up by media asking about it, wanting a story, etc.

Tua and his family are VERY close. There's also a cultural thing there between dads and sons. His dad, for instance, chose his school for him. He had very little input on it and said as much last week in an interview. This experience with the belt beating story and the media had him completely screwed up all day according to people I know close to the team. He felt like he betrayed or dishonored his father. The fact that it literally all went down within 5 or 6 hours of the game really screwed with his performance and decision making in the game.
It's 34 bowl victories.

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I think the one way to get a majority of folks rooting for Alabama was for Hurts to have to come in to win the game. It's hard to not feel good for him (assuming you're not a Georgia fan, of course). I wonder where Tua will transfer to next year. ;)

I'm so mad that the Big Ten got shut out of the playoff. I mean, it's clearly the best conference, and OSU is so . . . .

I'm sorry. I can't keep that up. Fuck OSU. Keep it close against Purdue and you're in there. Get destroyed by a team that had to win their last game against an equally sucky team to get bowl eligibility . . . well, you don't deserve to be in the playoff. The Rose Bowl is a nice consolation prize.

Michigan got a NY6 bowl (Peach), but it's against Florida. Kind of bleh, since we've played them a couple of times very recently. Hopefully the results are the same, though!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I realized this morning that Utah had a serious cat problem this year. We played three Wildcats (Arizona, Weber St., and Northwestern), three Huskies (NIU and Washington x2), and two Cougars (BYU and Wazzu). That has to set a record for the most feline mascots ever faced in a single year.

On topic, I'm thrilled about getting into the Holiday Bowl...otherwise known as the "JV Rose Bowl" this year. :) Northwestern reminds me a lot of Utah, a hard-nosed team that mirrors the tough personality of their coach. While I can't go, there should be a great turnout of Ute fans down in San Diego.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Uh, Huskies are dogs ;)

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

List of colleges by mascot

There are a lot of Wildcats.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:57 pm Uh, Huskies are dogs ;)
:doh:

How about "household pet related" mascots?
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

The good: Adrian Peterson ripped off a 90-yard TD run. Longest Redskins rushing TV of all time.

The bad: Mark Sanchez is playing QB for the Redskins

The ugly: Colt McCoy broke his right leg.
Hodor.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:02 pm The good: Adrian Peterson ripped off a 90-yard TD run. Longest Redskins rushing TV of all time.

Not exactly college football, but why was he running with a TV anyway?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:50 pm
pr0ner wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:02 pm The good: Adrian Peterson ripped off a 90-yard TD run. Longest Redskins rushing TV of all time.

Not exactly college football, but why was he running with a TV anyway?
Shit. Wrong thread AND autocorrect got me.
Hodor.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Urban is out after the Rose Bowl.

Only semi-surprising.