Harvey Weinstein (and assorted horrible people)... RIP career.

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LordMortis

Re: Harvey Weinstein... RIP career.

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:25 pm In some cases, when you put people together that have toxic elements to their personality and/or mental health problems (or they gravitate towards one another and enter into a relationship), there's a potential for some type of cancerous synergistic elements to emerge.
I never understood it and still don't and yet it happens... A Lot.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I was thinking of that scene when I wrote that; we''re clearly on the same harmonic wave. :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Holman

Post by Holman »

It can't be said strongly enough that people trapped in abusive relationships--no matter how they got there--still don't deserve to be abused.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Holman wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:55 pm It can't be said strongly enough that people trapped in abusive relationships--no matter how they got there--still don't deserve to be abused.
This should be a no brainer at this point. I'm not keen on saving people from themselves against their will, but I certainly think offering help and making it available is a necessity.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Z-Corn wrote:The Nerdist website has removed references of him and is distancing themselves...
Wow. That's a knee-jerk reaction. I haven't followed this closely today, but did someone else corroborate this accusation or was her story enough to doom him?
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

McNutt wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:49 am
Z-Corn wrote:The Nerdist website has removed references of him and is distancing themselves...
Wow. That's a knee-jerk reaction. I haven't followed this closely today, but did someone else corroborate this accusation or was her story enough to doom him?
I'm seeing other writers are coming out and saying he's a terrible person. Must have been a well-kept secret until now.

I'm pretty bummed out because I was a fan and have been for a long time. Guess you just can't ever know how people are behind closed doors.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Hardwick is getting dumped by AMC, too, while they perform their own investigation into the allegations.
Hodor.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

This one sucks. I listed to the Nerdist podcast for several years, although I fell off from listening a year or two ago. Still, I really enjoyed his outlook on life and it seemed like he was making genuine connections with his guests. He was one of the few celebrities where I was genuinely happy for his success, even if I didn't watch his shows or go to his stand up specials. As stessier said earlier, you can't listen to that many hours of someone talking without developing a connection.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Just be thankful you didn't feel enough of a connection to marry him, I guess. If you feel betrayed, imagine being his girlfriend.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I've just begun binge watching House of Cards. Kevin Spacey is sooooo good in this show. It just pisses me off that a man with that talent was such an ass.
Last edited by McNutt on Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Yep, he's amazing.

God damn it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Deadline
Terry Crews said he was threatened with retaliation for speaking out about a sexual assault by a Hollywood agent, saying the producer of The Expendables 4 warned of vague “troubles” unless he withdraws his civil suit.

In testimony this morning before the Senate Judiciary Committee, Crews said Expendables producer Avi Lerner called his manager and asked that the actor to drop his case against Adam Venit in order to appear in the fourth installment of the action film.

Asked By Sen. Amy Klobuchar asked Crews if he has a role in the sequel.

“No. Simply because this same producer is under his own … investigation,” said Crews. “Abusers protect abusers — and this is one thing I had to decide, whether I was going to draw the line on. Am I going to be a part of this or am I gonna take a stand, and there are projects I had to turn down.”

Lerner was sued for sexual harassment, hostile work environment and gender discrimination by a woman identified only as Jane Roe. At the time the suit was filed, Lerner dismissed the allegations as “all lies” and “a joke.”

Crews was one of three people called to testify at a hearing about the Sexual Assault Survivors’ Bill of Rights, which provides new rights for victims of sexual violence in the federal criminal code. The committee was reviewing the implementation of that law, which was enacted two years ago.
The actor told the Senators he had no plans to speak out about the incident, doubting that law enforcement would take such allegations seriously.

“I probably would have been laughed out of the police station,” Crews said. “A year later, once the #MeToo movement took full swing, it was safe to come out. When you are victimized, you are now behind enemy lines and you are trying to find a way out … You’re trying to find your way to safety. No one around is going to help you. No one is going to believe you.”

Crews said that’s especially true of males who are victimized by other men. He said the predator will dismiss the incident as “horseplay,” and brush off the charges as a joke. “They treat you like a joke.” The actor ultimately felt compelled to take a stand against to prevent others from being victimized.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:58 am
Andy Dick Fired From Movie Over Sexual Harassment Claims
Andy Dick has been dropped from the independent feature film Raising Buchanan following accusations of sexual harassment and misconduct on set.
He ended this most recent chapter by saying that he's learned his lesson. "I won't do it anymore," he said. "I won't lick anyone's face anymore. We have an agreement."
LA
Comedian Andy Dick has been charged with groping a woman on a Los Angeles street earlier this year.

City Attorney's spokesman Frank Mateljan, says misdemeanor sexual battery and battery charges were filed Wednesday. He is scheduled to be arraigned on July 18.

Mateljan says a woman reported that Dick groped her on April 5.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Comedians Talk Chris Hardwick
Clips of Comedians Nikki Glaser, Bert Kreischer, Adam Carolla, Jim Norton and others discussing Chris Hardwick allegations.
I don't follow this story, but it seems like he might not be as bad as they made it out to be?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

Moliere wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:23 pm Comedians Talk Chris Hardwick
Clips of Comedians Nikki Glaser, Bert Kreischer, Adam Carolla, Jim Norton and others discussing Chris Hardwick allegations.
I don't follow this story, but it seems like he might not be as bad as they made it out to be?
Chris Hardwick's friends run damage control. I can play too!

[edit] - I post this not to be flippant to Moliere in particular . . . the first interview literally starts with them saying "So you're a friend of Chris'".
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

King Of Hollywood by The Eagles

Lyrics
Spoiler:
Well he sits up there on his leatherette
Looks through pictures of the ones
That he hasn't had yet
When he thinks he wants a closer look
He gets out his little black telephone book
Come sit down here beside me honey
Let's have a little heart to heart
Now look at me and tell me darlin'
How badly do you want this part?
Are you willing to sacrifice
And are you willing to be real nice
All your talent and my good taste
I'd hate to see it go to waste
We gon' get you an apartment, honey
We gon' get you a car
Yeah, we gon' take care of you, darlin'
We gon' make you a movie star
For years I've seen 'em come and go
He says, "I've had 'em all, ya know"
I handled everything in my own way
I made 'em what they are today
After 'while, nothing was pretty
After 'while, everything got lost
Still, his jacuzzi runneth over
Still, he just couldn't get off
He's just another power junky
Just another silk-scarf monkey
You'd know it if you saw his stuff
The man just isn't big enough
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Sexual Assault Accusation Against #MeToo Hero Asia Argento Relies on Uncommon Age of Consent Law
Asia Argento, an Italian actress and director who helped bring down Harvey Weinstein and launch the #MeToo movement, paid $380,000 to an underage actor with whom she had a sexual relationship in 2013.

That actor, Jimmy Bennett, was 17 at the time, and he viewed Argento as a mother figure. Years later, after she became a hero for going public with her sexual assault accusation against Weinstein, Bennett attempted to sue her for intention infliction of emotional distress, lost wages, assault, and battery.
Victims' advocates are reeling from this news. Rose McGowan, an actress and fellow Weinstein accuser, wrote on Twitter, "My heart is broken."

Needless to say, Argento's behavior in this case does not change her status with regard to Weinstein. There's no unwritten law that says you can't be both a perpetrator and a victim of sexual misconduct. People are complicated.
:oops:
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

It's gotta take some pretty big balls to be the face of a movement that should apparently be condemning you. The memes on this are going to
be legen—wait for it... and I hope you're not lactose intolerant because the second half of that word is—dairy!
:ninja:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well she did pay him over $300k . Rose is backing away from her quickly. When I was 17 I woulda liked a 32 year old woman to throw herself at me :)
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:32 am When I was 17 I woulda liked a 32 year old woman to throw herself at me :)
From what you have said that pretty much did happen, didn't it?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Z-Corn wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:01 pm
Daehawk wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:32 am When I was 17 I woulda liked a 32 year old woman to throw herself at me :)
From what you have said that pretty much did happen, didn't it?
Pretty much :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh and NOW she has done it! This tears it! She is using Anthony as a scapegoat / distraction!

Asia Argento Denies Sexual Assault Claims, Says Late Boyfriend Anthony Bourdain Paid Off Accuser

So now she says she didn't do it and Bourdain paid the kid off. $%&#$^@$%@%. Sure blame the guy who isn't here to defend himself because he once dated your ass.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Asia is an odd women with an odd past. She was mixed up in the whole JT LeRoy scam and scandal. It is alleged that she was the lover of the girl who played JT LeRoy in public.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/9b8y ... -feuerzeig
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Les Moonves
Leslie Moonves, the powerful longtime chairman and chief executive of CBS, will resign his position in the wake of sexual-assault allegations, concluding a whirlwind six weeks that saw him fall from a perch as one of the country’s most respected media titans.

The company announced the news in a statement late Sunday, saying that CBS chief operating officer Joseph Ianniello will take over as interim CEO and president — both Moonves’ titles — as the company looks for a permanent replacement for its longtime chief.

Moonves had seemed bulletproof as of just six weeks ago, regarded as one of the entertainment world’s most sterling executives. But sexual-misconduct allegations by six women — in an article by Ronan Farrow in The New Yorker in July — led to the board hiring outside lawyers to conduct an investigation into Moonves and activists to call for his removal. On the magazine's website Sunday, an additional six women alleged behavior that includes sexual misconduct, harassment and retaliation.
The company also will replace about half the board, naming three women Candace Beinecke, Barbara Byrne and Susan Schuman in addition to well-known media figures such as Richard Parsons and Strauss Zelnick to director positions.

The allegations posted by The New Yorker Sunday include forced oral sex, Moonves exposing himself without consent and the use of physical violence and intimidation to silence the women. The women in Sunday's report echoed descriptions of a culture of downplaying accusations and promoting men even after the company settled allegations against them.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Ask not for whom the Farrow tolls. It tolls for thee.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jeff Fager
Jeff Fager, the executive producer of the flagship CBS news program “60 Minutes,” has left the network.

His exit follows articles by Ronan Farrow in the New Yorker that included accusations that Fager inappropriately touched employees, and a report by The Washington Post’s Erik Wemple that Fager tolerated years of alleged abusive conduct by a senior producer.

“This action today is not directly related to the allegations surfaced in press reports, which continue to be investigated independently,” CBS News President David Rhodes said in a memo. “However, he violated company policy and it is our commitment to uphold those policies at every level.”

It is unclear what specific company policy the memo references.

Fager said in a separate statement that the allegations in the New Yorker are “false” and that the decision by CBS was unrelated.

“They terminated my contract early because I sent a text message to one of our own CBS reporters demanding that she be fair in covering the story. My language was harsh and, despite the fact that journalists receive harsh demands for fairness all the time, CBS did not like it,” Fager said.”One such note should not result in termination after 36 years, but it did.”

Fager, a former CBS News chairman, has also been accused of dissuading employees from reporting incidents to human resources. He told Wemple at The Post, “I have never discouraged anyone from going to HR.”
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Haven't been following, although I did read the headlines. Trying to stay objective but I admit the headlines alone were disheartening.

I'll follow up eventually, but it's not something I feel I need to keep on top of and if I read it after all the developments have developed, that will be fine by me.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Ashley Watson, who says she was made uncomfortable when Tyson invited her to a private “wine and cheese” party in his room.
Everybody knows that "wine and cheese" parties are the astrophysicist equivalent "Netflix and Chill."
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Opinions on "Baby, it's cold outside" in modern day?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Neil deGrasse Tyson has always kinda creeped me out. I know that's not a popular thing to say, and he should be someone I like a lot - and about 80% of the time I enjoy him/his work.... but he's got a personality nuance I find off-putting arrogant (and I tolerate a lot of people that others find arrogant, I think.) And it's something more than that, can't quite put my finger on it.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

GreenGoo wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:43 am Opinions on "Baby, it's cold outside" in modern day?
Hard to say... She seems mostly concerned about what other people will think, but she say's No like a million times. And I think there is mention of something being slipped in her drink.

But they seem so happy.

Someone clever could re-write the lyrics to reflect Harvey or Louis C.K's story... (has that already been done?)

edit: OK, I now see the news stories about it. Yeah, I suppose it should be pulled from the play-list
Brian

Post by Brian »

Unagi wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:52 am it's something more than that, can't quite put my finger on it.
Maybe it's the fact that he frequently breathes through his mouth and nose at the same time resulting in his snorting into the microphone during his podcasts. That bugs the hell out of me even though I try to ignore it but it's just so damn obvious and frequent that I can't tune it out.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Unagi wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:55 am Someone clever could re-write the lyrics to reflect Harvey or Louis C.K's story... (has that already been done?)
Yes, sort of, but it was years before the #MeToo era.

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

aahh, if you watch until the end - they throw some good shade on Ben Roethlisberger.
:clap:
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

GreenGoo wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:43 am Opinions on "Baby, it's cold outside" in modern day?
I have always thought that was a creepy song.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Z-Corn wrote:
I have always thought that was a creepy song.
Historical context counterpoint
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

His statement is disheartening. Instead of a denial, which I'd expect if the accusations aren't true, OR an acknowledge of being in the wrong, if the accusations are true, he tries to weasel his way through it.

There is an undercurrent to his statement, it feels like he's saying "I'm a famous guy and people are happy to have me pay attention to them" and that doesn't help his case. If anything, bringing his fame into it makes him sound like he is clueless about his behavior since he thinks being famous is relevant. Just because everyone knows he's into cosmic bling has nothing to do with allowing him to fiddle with their clothes.

“If I hug you I might just want more" oh man! And he says he told her that more than once. She was pressuring him for hugs, what was he to do? He works for her, he has no power to...oh wait.

"I invited her to wine & cheese at my place upon dropping me off from work. No pressure. I serve wine & cheese often to visitors."

The only problem there is she wasn't a 'visitor'. She was an employee dropping him off as part of her job. Taken with his previous 'I just might want more' and that wine and cheese thing was ill advised.

I don't think he's some kind of rampaging monster, but come on. "I shouldn't have touched her clothing, I farked up" and "I should not have invited a female employee in for drinks, I farked up" would have sounded a lot better to me than him trying to play it off like he has no idea why anyone has a problem with him.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Well, I like Tyson and hope he's exonerated. I'll like him a good deal less if he's a harrasser. I already like him a little less just for being accused.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Unagi wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:52 am Neil deGrasse Tyson has always kinda creeped me out. I know that's not a popular thing to say, and he should be someone I like a lot - and about 80% of the time I enjoy him/his work.... but he's got a personality nuance I find off-putting arrogant (and I tolerate a lot of people that others find arrogant, I think.) And it's something more than that, can't quite put my finger on it.
Same.

The current version of Bill Nye has been doing that for me too.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT