[Movie] Captain Marvel

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Smoove_B

Re: [Movie] Captain Marvel

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, that's why I added the post-Iron Man Marvel universe as I thought all the Hulk movies came before it? It's all starting to blur together for me at this point. :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The Edward Norton Hulk film wasn't that bad. I rather enjoyed it.
Covfefe!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:57 am Yeah, that's why I added the post-Iron Man Marvel universe as I thought all the Hulk movies came before it? It's all starting to blur together for me at this point. :D
Edward Norton Hulk came after Iron Man. Tony Stark had a post credits cameo.

Eric Bana Hulk came many years before Iron Man.
Hodor.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oh yeah, that's right - I remember now the controversy after Ed Norton was replaced. I did like his Hulk, though I am having a hard time imagining him being part of the Marvel Universe that unfolded.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I can't unsee the curb stomp from American History X. So I would always be thinking, "When is he gonna curb stomp Thanos!? or "When is he gonna curb stomp that pedestrian!?" if he were still working with them.
pr0ner wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:08 pm Edward Norton Hulk came after Iron Man. Tony Stark had a post credits cameo.
Ah, that's right. I had forgotten that Stark made an appearance at the end of that one.
Covfefe!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:13 pm Oh yeah, that's right - I remember now the controversy after Ed Norton was replaced. I did like his Hulk, though I am having a hard time imagining him being part of the Marvel Universe that unfolded.
Likewise. I don't know if Ed Norton plays off Chris Hemsworth as well as Mark Ruffalo did in Thor: Ragnarok, for instance. And Norton is a fine actor, don't get me wrong.

I think the same goes for Terrance Howard's Col. Rhodes from Iron Man 1. He was fine in that film, but does he mesh with the rest of the Marvel Universe as well as Don Cheadle did?
Hodor.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:25 pm I think the same goes for Terrance Howard's Col. Rhodes from Iron Man 1. He was fine in that film, but does he mesh with the rest of the Marvel Universe as well as Don Cheadle did?
I don't know...I liked Terrance Howard better. He just "looks" more military and I think he had good chemistry with RDJ.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
JCC

Post by JCC »

Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, and Iron Man 3 were all pretty mediocre.

Thor 2 was awful.

Aside from them, I agree all the Marvel movies are at least good. (so far....)

I think Captain Marvel looks great.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I went into pretty much all the Marvel movies knowing nothing about any of the characters, well, maybe the Hulk because of the TV show, and I never watched either of the Hulk movies. We (even my wife) have enjoyed them all. Sure, some aren't great (Iron Man 2-3) but overall this has been a wonderful time to go to the movies. We will miss when this groups cycle is over, which should be what, in 2 more movies?
Black Lives Matter
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

I agree that Iron Man 3 and the first two Thor movies weren't the greatest, but I don't see why everybody wants to put down Iron Man 2. Heck, Sam Rockwell's performance as Justin Hammer alone was worth the price of admission. :wink:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Any movie that gives Mickey Rourke whips and then tells him to speak with a Russian accent is a damn national treasure.
Covfefe!
JCC

Post by JCC »

I thought Iron Man 2 was by far the worst Marvel movie (until I saw Thor 2). I thought they went way too far on the whole "Tony Stark is a jerk" thing. I also found the final confrontation where 2 good guys fight one bad guy to be pro wrestling gone wrong.

Having said that, I recently rewatched the second half of the movie recently and warmed to it a bit. So, yeah Thor 2 still sucks. At least the Star Wars prequels killed off Natalie Portman.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Iron Man 2 is my least favorite MCU film. Thor 2 isn't much better, but I really liked Iron Man 3.

On a side note, we purchased the Marvel Collector's Box on Amazon. It's a loot crate box with a different theme each month they come out. My friends have gotten some good stuff from them in the past, and the latest box was supposed to be celebrating the 10 year anniversary of the MCU. We shelled out $31, and got two tiny little doll things and a Pop set of Iron Man fighting Whiplash from Iron Man 2. I feel ripped off! Celebrating the MCU by remembering its worst movie? Come on!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Random observations

1) I liked Terrance Howard better.
2) While I can't picture Norton fitting in, he's a chameleon and could have easily surprised me even if I can't picture. Hence, surprise.
3) IM2 was a fine film. Thor2 was weak at best.
Most importantly
4) After all the poking at testosterone in the previous movies I'm glad they are finally driving a film with a woman, even if I'm still surprised Black Widow and money make Scarlett Johansen never got her film. I'm especially surprised because I happened to flip across and re-watch Age of Ultron which seemed like Tony Stark film with all the hype and the nature of the story, but really on second watch it was as close as you'd ever see a Hawkeye file. His ranch. His backstory. His saving and redeeming the kids. His patchwork keeping the team together without the credit. His contact maintenance with what used to be SHIELD. And more. While everyone was fighting, his actions narrated the story. Which goes back to how did he get a movie before ScarJo? So I'm looking forward to stepping out of the MCU mold, something that Wheadon surprisingly did not do, given his history of media driven by women.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:54 am I'm glad they are finally driving a film with a woman, even if I'm still surprised Black Widow and money make Scarlett Johansen never got her film
HR
Scarlett Johansson, who has appeared in six movies as Black Widow, is finally landing a $15 million payday for an upcoming stand-alone film centered on the Marvel superheroine, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.
Also of note:
Larson landed a generous payday but in exchange signed a seven-picture deal that locks her into multiple franchises
Maybe
Brie Larson has taken to Twitter to dispute THR’s report that she’s signed a seven-film deal with Marvel Studios. She didn’t clarify exactly how many films she’s signed up for, but it appears seven is incorrect. It’s also unclear if THR’s reporting regarding her Captain Marvel salary is still correct
It's almost as if people are the problem.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

msteelers wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:37 am Iron Man 2 is my least favorite MCU film. Thor 2 isn't much better, but I really liked Iron Man 3.
I'm pretty much in the same boat. I remember seeing Iron Man 2 in the theater and being really disappointed -- are all of his villains going to be evil iron mans?

Thor 2 is possibly worse overall, but at least it has some good Loki moments to spice it up.

Back to the subject at hand, I am really looking forward to Captain Marvel, mainly because I loved the comics from earlier this decade (I've barely read anything from the character's earlier years as Ms. Marvel). Fingers crossed.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I know absolutely nothing about Captain Marvel except what is in the trailers (and the recent one was educational) and also very much looking forward to it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:54 am I'm glad they are finally driving a film with a woman, even if I'm still surprised Black Widow and money make Scarlett Johansen never got her film
Is it just me, or does Black Widow seem like a yawner of a hero to have their own story? I'd say the same for Hawkeye.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The problem to me is that they're James Bond characters in a world of gods. They're pretty much superfluous. DC handles Batman better by emphasizing his brilliance and his ruthlessness, something the gods of his world can't match. But Marvel doesn't do that with their token humans. Instead they give them leaping crotch to head attacks and 12th century weaponry. It's like putting a Kick Me sign on their damn backs.
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Unagi wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:04 pm
Is it just me, or does Black Widow seem like a yawner of a hero to have their own story? I'd say the same for Hawkeye.
I'm sure it's not just you. But I'm worried about me.
hepcat wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:06 pm The problem to me is that they're James Bond characters in a world of gods. They're pretty much superfluous. DC handles Batman better by emphasizing his brilliance and his ruthlessness, something the gods of his world can't match. But Marvel doesn't do that with their token humans. Instead they give them leaping crotch to head attacks and 12th century weaponry. It's like putting a Kick Me sign on their damn backs.
I think that Fury (and Colsten) in a world of Gods is interesting. I think Ultron ended up being a story driven by how Hawkeye interacts, being "James Bond" in a world of gods. And he was different than Fury. I think MCU handled the narrative well while still maintaining the MCU feel. He ended up being the catalyst to redeem two young Gods, saving one from death and being saved by the other who, in turn, died.
Last edited by LordMortis on Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

hepcat wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:06 pm The problem to me is that they're James Bond characters in a world of gods. They're pretty much superfluous. DC handles Batman better by emphasizing his brilliance and his ruthlessness, something the gods of his world can't match. But Marvel doesn't do that with their token humans. Instead they give them leaping crotch to head attacks and 12th century weaponry. It's like putting a Kick Me sign on their damn backs.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

See, even Hawkeye knows he's out of his league in the team. :wink:
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:57 pm See, even Hawkeye knows he's out of his league in the team. :wink:
Maybe I'm as super as they are.
Black Lives Matter.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Look, if you don't have a travel power you're automatically on the B-List. Everyone knows you have to pick a travel power at level 14 or your ass gets sidelined. All those grounded slugs chose poorly.
There is no hug button. Sad!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If that's a City of Heroes reference, then my hat is off to you.
Covfefe!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

it couldn't be anything other.
:clap:

everyone over here. I have group teleport (waste)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I remember creating a necromancer villain in City of Villains back in the day. He had 3 zombies and an undead warrior that I named "Father, Son, Holy Ghost and Larry".

God I miss that game.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm also in the "meh" camp on a Black Widow movie. As much as I admire ScarJo's Golden Globes, she's rather dull to me on screen. Combine that with a boring character with no powers or gimmicks other than she can fight, and ugh.

One of the main reasons I'm looking forward to Captain Marvel so much is that she is ridiculously powerful. It's not just "woman who can fight." It's "woman who can probably defeat every other Marvel superhero in a one on one battle."
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

:geek: well, ok - maybe not Dr. Strange
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

AND she doesn't have to resort to crotch to face style martial arts.
Covfefe!
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:15 pm I'm also in the "meh" camp on a Black Widow movie. As much as I admire ScarJo's Golden Globes, she's rather dull to me on screen. Combine that with a boring character with no powers or gimmicks other than she can fight, and ugh.

One of the main reasons I'm looking forward to Captain Marvel so much is that she is ridiculously powerful. It's not just "woman who can fight." It's "woman who can probably defeat every other Marvel superhero in a one on one battle."
Pfft. Ten bucks on Rogue.

I'm of the same opinion on Scarlett Johansson. While she's been in plenty of movies I've liked, her performance has never been a reason I liked them. She could have been replaced by anybody and I wouldn't have missed her.
Black Lives Matter
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Unagi wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:04 pm
I think at least part of the goal of a Black Widow movie would be to flesh out her character. If, for instance, RDJ had only appeared in these movies to the same extent she does then Iron Man would be just as much of a yawner, flying suit or not. It would be a horrible mistake if they simply made an action movie with Black Widow as the lead. I'm thinking they need to do for her character what they did for Captain America in his first stand alone movie. The movies for the other characters, such as Strange/Thor/etc, all relied heavily on powers and action sequences far more god-like than Cap's first story. He had a vulnerability in that movie that humanized his character in a way that they couldn't do with other characters. Since she's not superpowered this would be a chance for them to have a legitimately vulnerable character in a story again. I hope they take advantage of that.

A big part of the appeal of this Captain Marvel character for me is seeing how all the other previously badass characters react when they meet someone who, based on the trailers, seems to be more powerful than all of them combined.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Umm. Jean Grey?
disarm

Post by disarm »

Biyobi wrote:
YellowKing wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:15 pm One of the main reasons I'm looking forward to Captain Marvel so much is that she is ridiculously powerful. It's not just "woman who can fight." It's "woman who can probably defeat every other Marvel superhero in a one on one battle."
Pfft. Ten bucks on Rogue.
+1...don't even have to wonder how that would work out Image

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Squirrel Girl is an omega level mutant, isn’t she?
Covfefe!
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:32 pmUmm. Jean Grey?
Jean Grey, in previous movies, hasn't done anything that impressive, in my opinion. Maybe in the upcoming movie that will change. I need to see more from her. She was Magneto's flunkie for crying out loud! How badass can she be if she's just a minion?
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:04 pm I remember creating a necromancer villain in City of Villains back in the day. He had 3 zombies and an undead warrior that I named "Father, Son, Holy Ghost and Larry".

God I miss that game.
I still have a calendar reminder every year on the day of the shutdown of CoH. Six years ago this past Thursday.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

gameoverman wrote:
Zaxxon wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:32 pmUmm. Jean Grey?
Jean Grey, in previous movies, hasn't done anything that impressive, in my opinion. Maybe in the upcoming movie that will change. I need to see more from her. She was Magneto's flunkie for crying out loud! How badass can she be if she's just a minion?
I'm not talking about just the movies. She took out Galactus, ffs.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

My Marvel Comics knowledge is thirty years out of date, but Jean Grey (as Dark Phoenix) was arguably the most powerful being in the Marvel Universe, at least briefly. As far as Captain Marvel goes, she used to be called Ms Marvel back in the day. She was a badass until Rogue (in the early days when she was still a villain) accidentally absorbed all of her powers permanently, thus leaving Carol Danvers powerless (until she later became a different hero named Binary) and giving Rogue her powers of super strength, flight, etc. So, in summary, I would have to agree that Rogue could kick Captain Marvel's ass, because she actually did in the comics in the most complete fashion possible short of killing her. :wink:

And anyone who thinks Iron Man 2 is the worst MCU movie obviously slept through Thor: The Dark World, easily the worst MCU movie. :P
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Jean Grey is dead to me.