2018 NCAA Football Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: 2018 NCAA Football Thread

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:00 am Urban is out after the Rose Bowl.

Only semi-surprising.
Well now. I guess the Packers are going to have to pay more to lure Harbaugh.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Saw a couple rumors floating around this morning that said he might take a sabbatical (like he did after Florida), then end up at USC after Helton gets booted.

Can I go ahead and vote for that not to happen please?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Spoiler:
Bruce Feldman
‏Verified account @BruceFeldmanCFB

SOURCE: New #OhioState head coach Ryan Day has agreed to a five-year contract with the Buckeyes.
High risk, high reward move. Day looked good in his fill-in role earlier this year, and he's got offensive pedigree. Hard to say how much of the offense this year was Day vs. Urban, but the offense looked disturbingly good at the end of the year. (*grumble, grumble*) If he can keep up the recruiting, they could just keep rolling along. I'm hoping he has a hiccup in year one or two and an overreacting fan base starts clamoring for change and a "name" coach.
Skinypupy wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:12 pm Saw a couple rumors floating around this morning that said he might take a sabbatical (like he did after Florida), then end up at USC after Helton gets booted.

That would be hysterical. USC could then roll until some hardships started coming, and then Meyer would have to retire again due to health reasons.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

During the Michigan game the network announcers made a big deal of Meyer's "health problems". How much, if any, did that have in him not returning? Or was this it for him regardless after the way the season started?
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Hard to say. There seems to be little doubt that he has legit health problems (something like an arachnoid cyst on his brain) and he had brain surgery in 2012. It's not something new, but I don't think it's related to the "health reasons" that led him to resign at Florida (although I may be wrong). There are people claiming that it's just a cover story he's using to get him out of there because he's pissed he got suspended. I have the same level of insider knowledge as anyone else here.

If he comes back at the USC head coach in 2020, will it be just part of his pattern? Or will it be because he's legitimately healthier?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Looks like Kingsbury will be the next OC at USC. So much for Student body left, etc. IMHO, this is not the kind of offense you run with USC's natural recruiting advantages.

In other news, Chip Kelly may have one of UCLA's best OL classes in awhile coming in (plus at least 4 returning starters).
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:12 pm Saw a couple rumors floating around this morning that said he might take a sabbatical (like he did after Florida), then end up at USC after Helton gets booted.

I'd just like to point out that I predicted this would happen in this very thread several weeks ago. :P

I think Urban Meyer going to the Pac-12 would be great news for the Conference. He'll make USC a contender again in a couple of seasons and he'll put pressure on all the other programs to step up their game the same way he did in the SEC and the Big 10 (Last I checked, the Pac-12 had one program in the top 25 in recruiting: Oregon). Of course this also means that USC will probably totally dominate the Conference in the short term. But, hey, he'll have to play the "I'm sitting out for health reasons" for a season until USC fires Helton, so you've always got next year to try to win the Pac-12. :mrgreen:
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Apollo wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:25 pm

I'd just like to point out that I predicted this would happen in this very thread several weeks ago. :P

I think Urban Meyer going to the Pac-12 would be great news for the Conference. He'll make USC a contender again in a couple of seasons and he'll put pressure on all the other programs to step up their game the same way he did in the SEC and the Big 10 (Last I checked, the Pac-12 had one program in the top 25 in recruiting: Oregon). Of course this also means that USC will probably totally dominate the Conference in the short term. But, hey, he'll have to play the "I'm sitting out for health reasons" for a season until USC fires Helton, so you've always got next year to try to win the Pac-12. :mrgreen:
Says the guy whose team wouldn't face him in the same division every year. ;)
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:31 pm Says the guy whose team wouldn't face him in the same division every year. ;)
Well, we do have to face this dude named Saban every year, so it's not like I can't relate to your future misery. :lol:
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Touche
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Yeah the Kingsbury to usc move with a potential Meyer hire next at the end of next year is puzzling to me. I don't know for a fact that Meyer wouldn't keep Kingsbury but that's a big risk to take. OTOH he will coach up JT Daniels like crazy and i bet that kid is a Heisman finalist next year. He's got the raw talent and Kingsbury is the qb whisperer. And I think he'll be OK with SC talent...honestly you almost have to try to screw up with the kids they have coming thru there. But his biggest problem (outside of, you know, defense) was the lack of a big time RB. That's not generally a problem in Southern California. To make the understatement of the day. I'll be watching to see how pac12 defenses adjust to his offense, should make it worth staying up until 1am to watch that last PAC-12 game of the day. 😀
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Kyler Murray wins the Heisman.

Not terribly surprising, I suppose.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

As a UT grad I hate OU as much as any red blooded American should. And I've heard multiple stories of Murray-related douchiness(I work with a guy who had 3 kids at Allen HS at the same time Murray was there and 2 of them played various sports at Allen), he grew up the child of extremely privileged parents in one of the pricier suburbs in Dallas, AND he never lost a game in HS. Oh yeah, and he just won the friggin' Heisman. I cant imagine ANYONE under those circumstances not being a turd muffin. But this story is just ridiculous. What 14 or 15yo boy, especially, hasnt said offensive/stupid/annoying/easily discarded shit and to have some reporter looking to make a name for themselves, or (sadly, more likely) a butt hurt Texas fan digging up stuff from Murray's early teens just shouldn't even be newsworthy.

But here's hoping ALA uses the slight against Tua to run up the score
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

GungHo wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:57 pm
But here's hoping ALA uses the slight against Tua to run up the score
I like the way you think. :D
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Pac 12 off to another strong start to bowl season, with ASU going down to Fresno St. :lol: Derpy Manny Wilkins without N'Keal Harry is a bad combination. Really good game by the Bulldogs though, grats Scuzz.

Sad to see a really fun Utah State team get relegated to that garbage bowl against Bumpkiss State today. Glad to see them end the season with a win, but wish they had a better opportunity.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Thanks. It amazes me how a 1-11 team can suddenly become a good defensive team. Coaching I guess.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Announced this morning that Utah OC Troy Taylor will be taking the head coaching job at...Sacramento State. Wait, what?

Seems like sort of a weird move, especially from a financial perspective. Taylor made around $550K (plus bonuses) as the OC at Utah, and the last head coach at Sac State made $175K. The top coach in that league only makes $262K, from what I could find. I guess he either really hated Utah or just really wanted to get back home. Still...strange, but good luck turning that program around, I guess.

That means Utah is now in the hunt for our 9th OC in the last 11 years. Yay for continuity! :roll:
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:24 pm Announced this morning that Utah OC Troy Taylor will be taking the head coaching job at...Sacramento State. Wait, what?

Seems like sort of a weird move, especially from a financial perspective. Taylor made around $550K (plus bonuses) as the OC at Utah, and the last head coach at Sac State made $175K. The top coach in that league only makes $262K, from what I could find. I guess he either really hated Utah or just really wanted to get back home. Still...strange, but good luck turning that program around, I guess.

That means Utah is now in the hunt for our 9th OC in the last 11 years. Yay for continuity! :roll:
Is he from Sacramento?

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:29 pm Is he from Sacramento?
Yes. I'm guessing that was the driving reason for this change. Also been hearing some chatter from the coaching staff that Taylor is a "head coach or bust" kinda guy, and that they were all expecting he'd jump at the first HC offer. Still, kinda weird.

I'm mostly 'meh' on him leaving, tbh. He had a tendency to try and get cute far too often, and to inexplicably abandon the run when it was working well. However, finding yet another OC - and all the chaos that brings - throws a wrench into what looks to be a really strong team for next year. We shall see.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:56 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:29 pm Is he from Sacramento?
Yes. I'm guessing that was the driving reason for this change. Also been hearing some chatter from the coaching staff that Taylor is a "head coach or bust" kinda guy, and that they were all expecting he'd jump at the first HC offer. Still, kinda weird.

I'm mostly 'meh' on him leaving, tbh. He had a tendency to try and get cute far too often, and to inexplicably abandon the run when it was working well. However, finding yet another OC - and all the chaos that brings - throws a wrench into what looks to be a really strong team for next year. We shall see.
OC has been a struggle for Whittingham his entire stint thus far, as far as I can tell.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Very, very much so.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Well if he is from Sacramento and wanted a HC job enough to not care what it paid maybe that makes sense. But it's not like the cost of living in Sac is cheap or that buying a house will be a cheap thing. And winning at Sac State is probably no more than a stepping stone to a Utah State.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

They just straight-up cancelled the First Responder Bowl between Boise State and Boston College due to weather. That's really gotta suck for those who spent the $$ to travel there.

In other news, Justin Herbert is returning for his senior season at Oregon, which is a baffling decision since he was likely to be the first QB taken in this draft. Seems like a really bad move, not quite sure what he thinks he'll gain. This is an interesting look at the overall winners and losers of that decision (spoiler: Herbert is one of the losers)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Three years ago today, a tornado ripped through Rowlett and killed 10. They've cancelled the memorial service due to the severe weather.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:26 pm Three years ago today, a tornado ripped through Rowlett and killed 10. They've cancelled the memorial service due to the severe weather.
Rowlett is a city in Dallas and Rockwall counties in the U.S. state of Texas, and an eastern suburb of Dallas. The population was 62,838 as of the 2017 Census est.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And the First Responders Bowl was being held at the Cotton Bowl in downtown Dallas.

I failed at drawing the proper context.

Thank you for the assist.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I have never seen more inept quarterback play as the Cal/TCU game last night. The final lines for the three QB's who played:

- Cal's starting QB had the best night, going 12/19 for 93 yards and 3 INT's.
- Cal's other QB went 5/14 for 71 yards and another 2 INT's
- TCU's QB: 7/20 for 27 yards and 4 INT's

For those scoring at home, that's 191 total passing yards and 9 interceptions between three QB's, with TCU winning the game 10-7...in OT. Defensive battles are one thing, this game was just a straight-up offensive disaster. Interesting stat though, Patterson (TCU) is now 9-0 when his team passes for less than 100 yards.

P12 getting off to another great start in bowl season. Now 0-2 after last year's fantastic 1-8 showing. :roll:
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:50 am I have never seen more inept quarterback play as the Cal/TCU game last night. The final lines for the three QB's who played:

For those scoring at home, that's 191 total passing yards and 9 interceptions between three QB's, with TCU winning the game 10-7...in OT. Defensive battles are one thing, this game was just a straight-up offensive disaster. Interesting stat though, Patterson (TCU) is now 9-0 when his team passes for less than 100 yards.

P12 getting off to another great start in bowl season. Now 0-2 after last year's fantastic 1-8 showing. :roll:
That was an abomination. Saw another stat during that game, this was the first time 2 senior QBs who had never started a game and stayed all 4 years at the same school, had played against one another.
OR

-Hiccup
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

GungHo wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:15 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:50 am I have never seen more inept quarterback play as the Cal/TCU game last night. The final lines for the three QB's who played:

That was an abomination. Saw another stat during that game, this was the first time 2 senior QBs who had never started a game and stayed all 4 years at the same school, had played against one another.
I knew the TCU QB was making his first start, I didn't realize it was the Cal QB's first start.

Yes, the game was almost impossible to watch.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Saw a really cool stat this morning: Ed Foley, the interim Temple head coach today, is the only Temple head coach to coach them for 2 bowl games. He was also an interim coach for the other bowl game.

He looks really fired up.

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I can't imagine anyone thought the Purdue vs Auburn game would be a close one.

I do figure to watch the Iowa St. vs Wash St. game tonight. Although Wash St. Seems to have lost something in their offense.

But tomorrow should be good. It must suck though for Michigan and Florida to play a game tomorrow before the ones that actually mean something.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Scuzz wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:58 pm I can't imagine anyone thought the Purdue vs Auburn game would be a close one.

I do figure to watch the Iowa St. vs Wash St. game tonight. Although Wash St. Seems to have lost something in their offense.

But tomorrow should be good. It must suck though for Michigan and Florida to play a game tomorrow before the ones that actually mean something.
Me, about 10 minutes ago: “Done with work, let’s turn on some bowl games and veg on the couch for the rest of the day.”

(Sees 49-7 score with 5 minutes left in the first half)

“Never mind, I’ll play video games instead.”
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:11 pm
Scuzz wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:58 pm I can't imagine anyone thought the Purdue vs Auburn game would be a close one.

Me, about 10 minutes ago: “Done with work, let’s turn on some bowl games and veg on the couch for the rest of the day.”

(Sees 49-7 score with 5 minutes left in the first half)

“Never mind, I’ll play video games instead.”
That is what I did. It was 35-7 with most of the 2nd qtr remaining when I turned it on.
Black Lives Matter
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

That's what's so frustrating about being an Auburn fan. We're similar to LSU in that we are both among a handful of programs that, year after year, have the depth of talent on both sides of the ball to match up with Alabama, Ohio State and Clemson. But Auburn's coaching, much like LSU's, is traditionally lacking to the point that they are the sort of team that can beat any team on any given week, but can also lose to any team on any given week. Though I hoped we would win, I wouldn't have been surprised if we had lost by two touchdowns. At least Malzahn can now add his Music City Bowl win to his only other bowl win at Auburn: The Birmingham Bowl, against Connecticut. :mrgreen:

On a serious note, now that we have beaten the team that beat the Big 10 Champ, I would like to now proclaim the Auburn Tigers, perfect in Conference play, Official Champions of the Big 10. :P

Edit: OK, so it was Memphis that Malzahn beat in the Birmingham Bowl. You get the point.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Eek, Michigan is getting an ass whooping from Florida. :?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:05 pm Eek, Michigan is getting an ass whooping from Florida. :?
I honestly did not see that coming. Didn’t think Florida was that good, or that Michigan was that bad.

For our resident Michigan fans, how hot is Harbaughs seat getting after those last couple blowouts?
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I think Harbaugh has 1 win over a Top 10 squad since he came to Michigan. No one should be all that surprised.
Hodor.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Bah, another one sided shellacking. I guess we are doomed to another Alabama - Clemson match up.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Was really surprised OU didn't take the ball first.

Looks like a huge mistake right now.