[Movie] Captain Marvel

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: [Movie] Captain Marvel

Post by Isgrimnur »

Unagi wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:57 pm Jean Grey is dead to me.
For the next four issues.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Apollo wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:57 pm
And anyone who thinks Iron Man 2 is the worst MCU movie obviously slept through Thor: The Dark World, easily the worst MCU movie. :P
I repeat...Mickey Roarke, whips, bad Russian accent. I think you folks are underestimating the entertainment value of Iron Man 2.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Not everything needs to be Rifftrax fodder.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Apollo wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:57 pm My Marvel Comics knowledge is thirty years out of date, but Jean Grey (as Dark Phoenix) was arguably the most powerful being in the Marvel Universe, at least briefly.
As was Scarlet Witch, as is (apparently) X-Man.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

hentzau wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:14 pm
hepcat wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:04 pm I remember creating a necromancer villain in City of Villains back in the day. He had 3 zombies and an undead warrior that I named "Father, Son, Holy Ghost and Larry".

God I miss that game.
I still have a calendar reminder every year on the day of the shutdown of CoH. Six years ago this past Thursday.
The last MMO I ever really cared about and returned to over and over and over.

Still, I played mostly solo - and my Robotics Mastermind, named Dread Assembler, was my favorite character, probably in any game ever. I'd sometimes set up his robots in a little dance session in public areas. I had a lot of little scripted things they did or said at the push of a button.

Back on topic - I do hope this turns out to be a good flick. I'm not very up to speed on the character and plan to delve the background more beforehand.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Apollo wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:57 pm My Marvel Comics knowledge is thirty years out of date, but Jean Grey (as Dark Phoenix) was arguably the most powerful being in the Marvel Universe, at least briefly. As far as Captain Marvel goes, she used to be called Ms Marvel back in the day. She was a badass until Rogue (in the early days when she was still a villain) accidentally absorbed all of her powers permanently, thus leaving Carol Danvers powerless (until she later became a different hero named Binary) and giving Rogue her powers of super strength, flight, etc. So, in summary, I would have to agree that Rogue could kick Captain Marvel's ass, because she actually did in the comics in the most complete fashion possible short of killing her. :wink:

And anyone who thinks Iron Man 2 is the worst MCU movie obviously slept through Thor: The Dark World, easily the worst MCU movie. :P
In the movies Rogue just temporarily drains people of their powers. She didn't permanently take anything from Wolverine. So while she's dangerous if she touches you that doesn't mean she's that dangerous.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

gameoverman wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:00 pm
Apollo wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:57 pm My Marvel Comics knowledge is thirty years out of date, but Jean Grey (as Dark Phoenix) was arguably the most powerful being in the Marvel Universe, at least briefly. As far as Captain Marvel goes, she used to be called Ms Marvel back in the day. She was a badass until Rogue (in the early days when she was still a villain) accidentally absorbed all of her powers permanently, thus leaving Carol Danvers powerless (until she later became a different hero named Binary) and giving Rogue her powers of super strength, flight, etc. So, in summary, I would have to agree that Rogue could kick Captain Marvel's ass, because she actually did in the comics in the most complete fashion possible short of killing her. :wink:

In the movies Rogue just temporarily drains people of their powers. She didn't permanently take anything from Wolverine. So while she's dangerous if she touches you that doesn't mean she's that dangerous.
Rogue only permanently drained one person (to my knowledge...admittedly, I stopped reading X-Men a long time ago.) Otherwise, it was always just a temporary drain.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

gameoverman wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:00 pm

Rogue was a brand new character when she drained Carol Danvers powers (plus her memories and personality). The explanation at the time was that she wasn't familiar with her powers and thereby stayed in contact with Danvers too long, thus accidentally draining her powers permanently. The implication at the time was that anytime she stayed in contact with someone too long this would be the result.

Rogue first appeared (as a villain) in Avengers Annual #10 and by that time she had already gained Ms Marvel's powers. To my knowledge, the incident where she drained Carol Danvers powers was referred to, but never actually shown in any comic.

Here's Carol Danvers wiki link for more info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carol_Danvers
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Unagi wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:04 pm
LordMortis wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:54 am I'm glad they are finally driving a film with a woman, even if I'm still surprised Black Widow and money make Scarlett Johansen never got her film
Is it just me, or does Black Widow seem like a yawner of a hero to have their own story? I'd say the same for Hawkeye.
They are officially planning a BW movie.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Speaking of Phoenix, it appears that Tony Stark actually built a "Phoenix Killer" Armor.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Bought two tickets for Wednesday night. Like most Marvel movies, it'll be released two days before US because new movies are released on Wednesday at Jakarta.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I envy you getting to see it so soon because this is the Marvel I've wanted to see the most since the last Marvel movie.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

:D
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Let us know if the studio went back and fixed Captain Marvel by adding smiles to her scenes.
Covfefe!
naednek

Post by naednek »

hepcat wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:15 am Let us know if the studio went back and fixed Captain Marvel by adding smiles to her scenes.
Are you suggesting she has resting bitch face?
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Polygon
Larson, who will make her debut in the Marvel Cinematic Universe as Captain Marvel next year, is already dealing with an issue faced by other women in her position (that being a starring role in a popular action or sci-fi franchise): juvenile opinions from anonymous men on the internet. In this case, a fist-waving crop of petulant fans are upset that Larson’s Captain Marvel doesn’t seem to smile in the first trailer.

The phrase “women should smile more” or “I want her to smile” isn’t just an oblique suggestion from well-intentioned men. It might be, in some cases, but it’s a phrase often associated with gendered discrimination and street harassment. A social media campaign, created by Tatyana Fazlalizadeh, is dedicated to phrases women hear such as this — when they are trying to work, walk down the street, or sit in a cafe.
Larson Instagrammed Twitter user HeyMermaid’s reimagined movie posters for some of Marvel’s biggest heroes, including Iron Man and Captain America, replacing their unapologetic, unsmiling faces with big, Joker-like grins. Below are the original posters on the right, and HeyMermaid’s versions on the left.
Enlarge Image Enlarge Image
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Unfortunately I've already heard from a few of my ultra-conservative friends that this looks like a terrible film. But I'm sure the fact that it's a female superhero movie with female writing and directing credits has nothing to do with it.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

naednek wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:05 pm
hepcat wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:15 am Let us know if the studio went back and fixed Captain Marvel by adding smiles to her scenes.
Are you suggesting she has resting bitch face?
I’m making light of the moronic group that photoshopped smiles on her face in some ads.
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Got a ticket for Sunday. (One of four left at the time of purchase this morning) This means two of the last three movies I've seen in the Theatre have been MCU(ish) movies. SW:TFA, Deadpool, and now Captain Marvel. Good for you Marvel, for allowing enough latitude to make movies I'm interested enough to actually leave my house for.
morlac

Post by morlac »

hepcat wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:06 pm
Apollo wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:57 pm
I repeat...Mickey Roarke, whips, bad Russian accent. I think you folks are underestimating the entertainment value of Iron Man 2.
I just watched this again this last weekend. Roarke steals every scene he is own.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Back from watching Captain Marvel. It is just an average Marvel movie.

I think some comic book fans are going to hate this one.
Spoiler:
This is kinda like Ironman 3
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

somewhat-forced-feeling local co-branding ad campaign

'Captain Marvel can fly! So can airplanes!'

trailers for this looked quite mehhhh
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

RT shows it at 84%.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

You can't stop me from seeing it and you'll have a hell of a time stopping me from enjoying it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:34 pm somewhat-forced-feeling local co-branding ad campaign

'Captain Marvel can fly! So can airplanes!'

trailers for this looked quite mehhhh
I agree it's a forced branding, but isn't she an actual pilot as well, though?
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:43 pm I agree it's a forced branding, but isn't she an actual pilot as well, though?
ahhhhh i did not know that. mmmmk
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I enjoyed this very much.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Wife and I saw this this tonight and over all enjoyed it..
We both loved the new Marvel Studios logo and hope they keep it forever..I don't think its a spoiler, so...It was a tribute to Stan Lee showing all his various cameos.
I thought his cameo in this was both perfect and Super meta..
Spoiler:
He is on a training reading and rehearsing his lines from a script for Mallrats
My wife did not like and felt it dragged the following:
Spoiler:
All the various flashbacks. She understood it was supposed to be the backstory, she still thought it dragged...
She is also not too sure about Brie Larson as an actress yet. Maybe she'll turn around in the Avengers.

I thought it slowed at various parts, but I don't think I got bored or anything. I also do not know how much of her origin/backstory they kept. I knew she was an Ex-Pilot and super powerful, but that's about the extent of my Captain Marvel knowledge.
Spoiler:
So it seems that Captain Marvel is sort of powered by an offshoot of an Infinity Stone (well the Tesseract at least) in this.. So that does explain how she is so powerful I guess. not sure if that is the comic version as well though.Probably time to catch up on some of her background I guess.
The FX for young Coulson and Fury were spectacular.

The cat does steal the show in many for the scenes its in. I fully expect it to have a starring role in the next 3 Avengers movies... Can't wait to see it try on the Infinity Gauntlet and turn Thanos into a pile of kitty litter....
partial spoiler
Spoiler:
The scene in the "quinjet" when they take off and show the cat was LOL funny!
Lots of little cool things like..
Spoiler:
The Protectors initiative.. seemed a little forced, but I liked it
How Nick Fury lost his eye.. I did like it, but again seemed a little forced, but still awesome that this whole time I've expected it to be some big bad battle scar
other spoilers
Spoiler:
I did NOT see the big Skrull plot twist coming as that goes against everything I know about the Skrulls and I really liked that twist.
obviously stay past the credits. the first scene is directly related to Infinity war/Endgame and it surprised me as it seems like a big spoiler
Spoiler:
You see Cap, Natasha and Rhodes around a monitor showing the missing people from the Snap.. It seems REAL close to the end of infinity War like not much time has passed at all. They are working on the Captain Marvel Bat Pager since it seems they found it and have hooked it up to a battery to keep it going. Then it stops and they wonder why and Natasha says something like I really want to know who is at the other end of that signal.. Then she turns around and there stands Captain Marvel who says Wheres Fury?. End scene.
I think its very spolierly because while everyone knew she would be in it, I believe the general consensus is that she wouldn't be in it until late middle or end and this "seems" very close to the beginning... I'm thinking she may be the one who saves Tony and Nebula. and she got to Earth Hella Fast.. I'll bet she powered up a lot over the years while learning to harness her power.
The second/end credits scene was more of a cutesy/fun scene that's not really required watching, but you might as well.
Spoiler is very spoilerly though
Spoiler:
During the movie you find out the cat isn't a cat and at one point it swallows the Tesseract (which is found during the movie). the end scene is it coughing it back up on young Furys desk.. I mean once it swallows it, you know it spits it out at some point, unless this is your first Marvel movie..
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Punisher wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:33 amother spoilers
Spoiler:
I did NOT see the big Skrull plot twist coming as that goes against everything I know about the Skrulls and I really liked that twist.
I liked this a lot. It showed that Marvel's movie-makers still want to tell interesting, original stories.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

AWS260 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:40 am
Punisher wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:33 amother spoilers
Spoiler:
I liked this a lot. It showed that Marvel's movie-makers still want to tell interesting, original stories.
Yeah
Spoiler:
Even when they showed up at the house revealing themselves I still had some doubts, just thinking it was a fake sob story to get Cpt Marvel to drop her guard
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
JCC

Post by JCC »

Saw it and enjoyed it. Not among my favorite Marvel Movies but still very good and in the upper tier of the "good" Marvel movies. Very, very excited for Endgame.
Last edited by JCC on Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Saw it tonight. I absolutely loved it. My wife... Said it was her favorite marvel movie ever. No surprise I guess. It was very good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Which, if any, MCU movies should you have seen before this?

Guessing just the avengers for Agent Fury and maybe Coulson.

Do you need to be caught up with infinity war?

Spoiler free, if possible, at least with respect to this movie - asking for a friend who may join us.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

You don't need to have seen anything else, which is nice. There's a mid-credit stinger that references the ending of Infinity War, but it doesn't really spoil anything.
JCC

Post by JCC »

I think the movie can be enjoyed without having seen the others, but they will definitely get more out of it if they have seen at least some of the Marvel movies that have Agent Coulson and particularly the movies that had a lot of Nick Fury. I mean at the very least I would say they should watch the first Avengers movie before seeing this.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

It worries me a bit that the score on RT keeps dropping. I guess there's a strong impulse to be contrarian when you're one of the last critics to review a movie. But the 52% audience score tells me that the troll community is trying to hurt the movie's score the same way they did when "Black Panther" was released. Which makes me wonder why they didn't go after the Wonder Woman movie... :?:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:41 pm You can't stop me from seeing it and you'll have a hell of a time stopping me from enjoying it.
Loved it. Makes me a bit jealous of my friends that have daughters they can share it with. I really liked the soundtrack too and would pick it up, except I already own pretty much all of it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Saw it this morning in an IMAX theater. Great visuals, solid story, and Sam Jackson. Loved it!
Black Lives Matter
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

Saw it with my wife this afternoon. Just about a full theater. Really enjoyed it. Very good music and humor. I thought the last 30 minutes were great. Glad we went before seeing End Game. My opinion this is a must see before End Game.