The Outer Worlds [Obsidian]

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Max Peck

The Outer Worlds [Obsidian]

Post by Max Peck »

Now we (officially) know what Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky have been working on at Obsidian.

In The Outer Worlds, you awake from hibernation on a colonist ship that was lost in transit to Halcyon, the furthest colony from Earth located at the edge of the galaxy, only to find yourself in the midst of a deep conspiracy threatening to destroy it. As you explore the furthest reaches of space and encounter various factions, all vying for power, the character you decide to become will determine how this player-driven story unfolds. In the corporate equation for the colony, you are the unplanned variable.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
MonkeyFinger

Re: The Outer Worlds [Obsidian]

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Well, it's Obsidian but... 8-)
-mf
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think it looks great and fun. Like a mix of Fallout and Borderlands.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, that's what it looked like to me - some Borderlands attitude but more focus (maybe?) on the the RPG elements. I'm intrigued.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Like the art and style. All I need now is for it to have solid mechanics and a soul.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:48 am Yeah, that's what it looked like to me - some Borderlands attitude but more focus (maybe?) on the the RPG elements. I'm intrigued.
And Claptrap is Christopher Walken.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I am very excited about this. Looks like a cross between New Vegas, Borderlands and Firefly. It's interesting how they played up the humor aspect in the trailer, so we'll see how that plays out in the game. But overall, this looks like it will be a lot of fun.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Just a nitpick-- I hate how the guy is stiffly holding his pistol out in front of him while he is casually walking about, even in non-dangerous situations.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Freyland wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:43 pm Just a nitpick-- I hate how the guy is stiffly holding his pistol out in front of him while he is casually walking about, even in non-dangerous situations.
Hah.

I had that thought as well. It's common in games but I still thought it was kinda dumb in the game play trailer anyway. It's like he's pointing wherever he's going with the gun. To the kitchen. Lead on, gun! To the closet. I follow your lead, gun!
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Freyland wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:43 pm Just a nitpick-- I hate how the guy is stiffly holding his pistol out in front of him while he is casually walking about, even in non-dangerous situations.
I wouldn't mind it so much if they used that as an opportunity to clean up the HUD. They could put some info on a device around the wrist. In the gameplay video I'm not liking the HUD, it looks too intrusive. Imagine if all that crap was moved down to the bottom of the screen, leaving a clear view up top, that would be more to my taste.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:52 pm
Hah.

I had that thought as well. It's common in games but I still thought it was kinda dumb in the game play trailer anyway. It's like he's pointing wherever he's going with the gun. To the kitchen. Lead on, gun! To the closet. I follow your lead, gun!
Maybe he’s on the NRA planet where you are obligated by law to have your gun out at all times?
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

In.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Yeah, totally in.
-mf
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

They had me at Obsidian.

Seriously though, I rarely get excited for games anymore. But, as someone else said, a cross between New Vegas and Borderlands?
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

$iljanus wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:25 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:52 pm
Hah.

Maybe he’s on the NRA planet where you are obligated by law to have your gun out at all times?
Maybe it's just a mannequin arm, like a selfie stick? With a gun at the end.
There is no hug button. Sad!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Sawyer wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:35 am They had me at Obsidian.*
*6 months post-release, after the inevitable bajillion bugs are squashed
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

-mf
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

That makes me wonder, though, if Microsoft will let them devote adequate resources to patching and DLC work ... I mean, unless it's all pre-contracted with Take Two, Microsoft wouldn't want to be helping out the competition, right?
Black Lives Matter

Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I'm also totally in on this one.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Tim Cain and Charles Staples (lead designer) chat about the combat system.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Game is still interesting but I wanna go back to when this thread was started...or earlier.

The combat makes it look kinda easy.And bullet sponges.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Moving to Epic from Steam.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Let the angry rants begin.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:47 pm Let the angry rants begin.
Maybe not an angry rant, but I did roll my eyes when I read that. What possible interest I had in this game evaporated, and my disdain for Epic's store increases.
Toe

Post by Toe »

Baroquen wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:55 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:47 pm Let the angry rants begin.
Maybe not an angry rant, but I did roll my eyes when I read that. What possible interest I had in this game evaporated, and my disdain for Epic's store increases.
Same. I have enough games to a Steam to wait until it eventually goes on sale on Steam. Hold a game from a promised platform for a year with this exclusivity BS? I will never pay full price for your game. NEVER.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Apologies. It looks like Epic is deciding which games to make exclusive by looking at the top of my Steam wish list.

Bad news if you were looking forward to 'Six Ages: Ride Like the Wind' as that's my next ranked game.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I still don't get the abject hatred of Epic. The days of having a single game platform are gone. They were gone when EA launched Origin, followed by Uplay and the Bethesda launcher. They're gone the same way having all your shows on one streaming platform is gone. Of all the different game platforms, the only one that gets this kind of absolute spite is Epic. Is it just because of the exclusives? They're not my favorite thing, either, but they're par for every other kind of media. Netflix exclusive Marvel shows. Amazon exclusive Lord of the Rings. XBox exclusive games. Spotify exclusive albums. We're not special, we just have competition for the first time in 15 years. Steam's had a near-monopoly for general game sales, and Epic's trying to end it. This is what that looks like, and I think it'll be good. It'll push Epic and Steam to both innovate and compete for our money.

The same game that plays the same way for the same price. Put it exclusively on Steam and people cheer. Put it exclusively on Epic and people rage. "BOYCOTT! NEVEREPIC!" Do people just hate Epic (the company) that much? Ubi and EA are so much worse to their customers, and they don't get this kind of hatred when the latest Assassin's Creed comes only to Uplay.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

No hate here, but also no interest in further distributing my game collection across platforms. I can forgive the first parties. I don't need another third party... until I do. Timed exclusives... I can wait, there's already more games than I can play. If XCOM3 was an Epic exclusive, I would complain for a couple days then buy it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Doesn't matter to me. If a game is cheap and the platform is stable and will be around I use it. I have all of them installed and used. Not bought much in a few years but I have no hate for any. I remember how Steam was hated when it started and that wasn't me. Ive been there since beta and had no problems. As I said before they've always given me a refund when requested even back in the day of no refunds.

My wife bought me about 90% of the stuff I have.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I would rather have all of my games in a single, established place.

At the same time, I don't want an noncompetitive market where that one place gets to set all of the rules based on it's best interest instead of based on drawing customers.

I can't have both.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:37 pm I still don't get the abject hatred of Epic. The days of having a single game platform are gone. They were gone when EA launched Origin, followed by Uplay and the Bethesda launcher. They're gone the same way having all your shows on one streaming platform is gone. Of all the different game platforms, the only one that gets this kind of absolute spite is Epic. Is it just because of the exclusives? They're not my favorite thing, either, but they're par for every other kind of media. Netflix exclusive Marvel shows. Amazon exclusive Lord of the Rings. XBox exclusive games. Spotify exclusive albums. We're not special, we just have competition for the first time in 15 years. Steam's had a near-monopoly for general game sales, and Epic's trying to end it. This is what that looks like, and I think it'll be good. It'll push Epic and Steam to both innovate and compete for our money.

The same game that plays the same way for the same price. Put it exclusively on Steam and people cheer. Put it exclusively on Epic and people rage. "BOYCOTT! NEVEREPIC!" Do people just hate Epic (the company) that much? Ubi and EA are so much worse to their customers, and they don't get this kind of hatred when the latest Assassin's Creed comes only to Uplay.
I don't hate Epic. I think it is unfortunate that Epic is now the 5th client I have to deal with. Maybe my line in the sand is four. I'll keep an open mind and maybe I will tolerate Epic. But then there are now 5. What happens when the next company rolls along and wants to be launcher #6? Then 7, 8, 9....the line has to be drawn somewhere.

Should the line just be determined by the market? I once thought that way but then freemium games came along and show no signs of dying, so I'm not optimistic that gamers will draw the line at 10 clients.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

raydude wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:06 pm Should the line just be determined by the market? I once thought that way but then freemium games came along and show no signs of dying, so I'm not optimistic that gamers will draw the line at 10 clients.
Yes, the market should decide, but there is a practical limit, too. First party clients are one thing, but broad market clients? There are only so many customers to go around, and it is a very high bar to entry. Until Epic came on like a blitzkrieg, I didn't think anything could ever threaten Steam. In 15 years, nobody ever has. Even Microsoft has tried and failed. Not many companies have the resources to even make the attempt, let alone survive a failure, and if Epic establishes itself as Charter to Steam's Comcast, it'll be even harder to pull enough customers away for a new startup to be competitive.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Enlarge Image
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:20 pm
raydude wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:06 pm Should the line just be determined by the market? I once thought that way but then freemium games came along and show no signs of dying, so I'm not optimistic that gamers will draw the line at 10 clients.
Yes, the market should decide, but there is a practical limit, too. First party clients are one thing, but broad market clients? There are only so many customers to go around, and it is a very high bar to entry. Until Epic came on like a blitzkrieg, I didn't think anything could ever threaten Steam. In 15 years, nobody ever has. Even Microsoft has tried and failed. Not many companies have the resources to even make the attempt, let alone survive a failure, and if Epic establishes itself as Charter to Steam's Comcast, it'll be even harder to pull enough customers away for a new startup to be competitive.
I think Epic will also fail.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Need more game info.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:37 pm I still don't get the abject hatred of Epic. The days of having a single game platform are gone. They were gone when EA launched Origin, followed by Uplay and the Bethesda launcher. They're gone the same way having all your shows on one streaming platform is gone. Of all the different game platforms, the only one that gets this kind of absolute spite is Epic. Is it just because of the exclusives? They're not my favorite thing, either, but they're par for every other kind of media. Netflix exclusive Marvel shows. Amazon exclusive Lord of the Rings. XBox exclusive games. Spotify exclusive albums. We're not special, we just have competition for the first time in 15 years. Steam's had a near-monopoly for general game sales, and Epic's trying to end it. This is what that looks like, and I think it'll be good. It'll push Epic and Steam to both innovate and compete for our money.

The problem is that Epic thinks developers are it's customer, not game buyers. All of their moves so far have been aimed at developers not consumers. If Epic had rolled out a storefront with more and better consumer friendly features than Steam, and/or completed by giving better prices that would have been one thing. But they didn't - they rolled out a totally inferior platform that is only able to compete by locking up games that look to be very popular or desired. Yes, they claim to be adding new features such as achievements, etc in the future, but they are not there now, when they make their initial impression.

And yes, I hate exclusives. I don't have a problem with EA/Ubisoft/Bethesda setting up their own platforms because those are their games to begin with. I'd prefer that I could buy them on Steam (and with Ubisoft I used to be able to do so until Epic - looks like their future games are moving there), but I understand. Netflicks and Amazon aren't relevant because it is their shows that they are producing. We are also used to different networks providing different and unique content - no one expects ABC shows to be on NBC, or Universal movies to be on the FX movie channel.

So in the end, for me it is exclusives - consumers want choice, but forcing me to use Epic to play a game I want isn't choice - it is anti-consumer.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Grifman wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:05 am

The problem is that Epic thinks developers are it's customer, not game buyers. All of their moves so far have been aimed at developers not consumers. If Epic had rolled out a storefront with more and better consumer friendly features than Steam, and/or completed by giving better prices that would have been one thing. But they didn't - they rolled out a totally inferior platform that is only able to compete by locking up games that look to be very popular or desired. Yes, they claim to be adding new features such as achievements, etc in the future, but they are not there now, when they make their initial impression.

And yes, I hate exclusives. I don't have a problem with EA/Ubisoft/Bethesda setting up their own platforms because those are their games to begin with. I'd prefer that I could buy them on Steam (and with Ubisoft I used to be able to do so until Epic - looks like their future games are moving there), but I understand. Netflicks and Amazon aren't relevant because it is their shows that they are producing. We are also used to different networks providing different and unique content - no one expects ABC shows to be on NBC, or Universal movies to be on the FX movie channel.

So in the end, for me it is exclusives - consumers want choice, but forcing me to use Epic to play a game I want isn't choice - it is anti-consumer.
EA's Origin also sell third party games (maybe only in the South East Asia's store?). I don't think anyone complain about that because it is not exclusive. You can still buy the same game from Steam, Ubisoft's UPlay, etc.

Like you, I am happy when provided more options to buy games but forcing timed exclusive is not giving more options.

One reason I don't like to buy games from unproven online store like Epic is that I can't count on their availability in my country. For example, with my previous ISP, I had trouble downloading games from Origin. Luckily there was a solution, turning on the safe mode downloading (option in Origin client). Or Microsoft Windows 10 store. The download speed from Microsoft Windows 10 store is not dependable. Sometime it is okay, sometime it is very slow or can't download at all. Then there was a problem with Stardock's Impulse when Stardock sold it to Gamestop. I was not able to connect to Gamestop at all with my previous ISP, so all games that I bought from Impulse was gone and I had to rebought them on Steam or Gog.com.

Right now I don't trust Epic.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:59 pmI would rather have all of my games in a single, established place.
I would prefer that place be GOG.com. The BIG draw for me there is that I can download and save the game executables, and the client I could use to keep everything up to date is entirely optional.

The original reason I resisted Steam way back when was a possibly rational fear of having my library of games go "poof" some day. I still worry about it and buy more from GOG than I do Steam now. I've got close to 300 games on Steam and almost 200 on GOG. Some of them overlap thanks to the GOG Connect service that grants me a 'copy' of my game on GOG if I have it on Steam.

Yes, I have an Origin account. It was needed for the ... four? ... games I have there. Yes, I have games from indie developers who aren't on any platform but their own.

I'm not eager enough for any game to come out that I feel compelled to jump on Epic as a platform. I'm not spiteful or resentful, I just don't care and don't need another launcher for games I'll ultimately get elsewhere. I expect Steam is going to feel the crunch of competition, too, and lower their hosting percentage to be similar to Epic for developers - so I hope that angle will correct itself too.
Black Lives Matter