Nintendo Switch = NX

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Skinypupy

Re: Nintendo Switch = NX

Post by Skinypupy »

stessier wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:23 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:18 pm You will absolutely want a screen protector. Getting it in and out of the dock will scratch it to hell if you don't have one.
Anecdotal counterpoint - I have a 9 and 12 year old and we've had the system since Christmas. Use it both handheld and in the dock - no protector and no scratches.
Query: Do your smaller meatbags remove the device from it's dock often?

;)
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:45 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:18 pm You will absolutely want a screen protector. Getting it in and out of the dock will scratch it to hell if you don't have one.
Anecdotal counterpoint - I have a 9 and 12 year old and we've had the system since Christmas. Use it both handheld and in the dock - no protector and no scratches.
Query: Do your smaller meatbags remove the device from it's dock often?

;)
Response: Yes, they use it about half the time docked and the other half handheld. Both remove it (so it's not like only the 12 year old does it) and replace it. They do know that I would be extremely displeased with scratches, so they are probably pretty careful. But they are still kids, so not that careful. :)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ditto. 12 year old with motor skill disabilities and a 10 year old. So far, no scratches. It's in and out of the dock 2 or 3 times a day, typically.

They are completely careless with it. Hell, I wasn't aware of any risk using the dock so I haven't been particularly careful myself.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

stessier wrote:
I don't use a screen protector. Hadn't been scratched yet taking it in and out.
naednek

Post by naednek »

all you people who just admitted to not using a screen protector I have one thing to say.....

GOOD LUCK! You're now jinxed.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Given that the Switch's screen is plastic, not glass, a screen protector is probably more necessary than on many other devices.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
NineToFive

Post by NineToFive »

Seems like spam
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Now having played octopath traveler for 5 or 6 hours I have to say this game is really not for me. The random battles are so incredibly frequent and far too often boring and repetitive. I'm going to go ahead and abandon it now. Just a follow-up since I mentioned it earlier.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Chrisoc13 wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:51 am Now having played octopath traveler for 5 or 6 hours I have to say this game is really not for me. The random battles are so incredibly frequent and far too often boring and repetitive. I'm going to go ahead and abandon it now. Just a follow-up since I mentioned it earlier.
I liked almost everything about Octopath Traveler. The old-school meets modern graphics are stunningly beautiful. The music is wonderful. The combat is standard JRPG, but with some really interesting mechanics. The way they set the story up was really interesting. The monster and locale design was really good.

Despite all of those positives, however, I quit about 18 hours in because I simply do not have the time or patience for the endless grind this game requires. It's very much "old-school JRPG" in that regard, where you better be prepared to grind for hours and hours on the same enemies before you can get past bosses or progress the story. And the way the game is structured, you will always have half the part sitting idle...which means you'll have to grind someone back up every time a new story chapter begins. It's unfortunate, as a pretty simple change (give inactive party members XP as you grind) would have made all the difference

I got through all eight Chapter 1's and the first couple Chapter 2's before the grind finally wore me down. It was disappointing, because there really is a lot in this game to like.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Yes it's very much an interesting and cool game. I think many people will really love it. The combat is really fun when it is challenging. When it's low level enemies you are eliminating over and over again it starts to feel brainless and meh. I just don't have the patience for it.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I burnt out about the same time as Skinypupy, which is a shame because I was really loving a lot about the game. I had a lot of grinding to do to get my levels up to start doing some Chapter 2 missions, which wasn't too terrible... but then the prospect of doing that again to level up my B-Team for their chapter 2s just didn't sound appealing.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I suppose I'll have to re-buy this one...

Also, Bad North dropped yesterday. I picked it up, and it's been pretty fun so far for $15.

stessier

Post by stessier »

We got Overcooked 2 over the weekend.

I've only played through Level 1 (the entire level), but it seems like the captured all the fun of the last one and added to it. There is a new "toss ingredient" function that is a blast. Also, it seems a bit easier, but still challenging. Would recommend for anyone who was a fan of the first one.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
naednek

Post by naednek »

stessier wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:26 pm We got Overcooked 2 over the weekend.

I've only played through Level 1 (the entire level), but it seems like the captured all the fun of the last one and added to it. There is a new "toss ingredient" function that is a blast. Also, it seems a bit easier, but still challenging. Would recommend for anyone who was a fan of the first one.
So I mentioned my son has some behaviour issues and sometimes they appear when playing video games. The doctor likes to blame the media, I blame the behavior. The behavior is him trying to be controlling at all times. That never works well with the sister. Anyways to appease her and an excuse to buy another game, we found overcooked 1 and thought it would be fun to play with each other.... Well that was a mistake. That game takes teamwork and tons of patient and it takes the controlling aspect to a whole new level :D Fun game though, and he's actually been a lot better after the first few times.
Last edited by naednek on Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stessier

Post by stessier »

naednek wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:30 pm
stessier wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:26 pm We got Overcooked 2 over the weekend.

So I mentioned my son has some behaviour issues and sometimes they appear when playing video games. She likes to blame the media, I blame the behavior. The behavior is him trying to be controlling at all times. That never works well with the sister. Anyways to appease her and an excuse to buy another game, we found overcooked 1 and thought it would be fun to play with each other.... Well that was a mistake. That game takes teamwork and tons of patient and it takes the controlling aspect to a whole new level :D Fun game though, and he's actually been a lot better after the first few times.
Yeah...this game has been touted as being able to end marriages. When you get the teamwork flowing, it can be amazing. When it goes bad, though, you have to be able to laugh at the insanity or feelings will be hurt. (I've had my kids ask me to stop yelling at them. :oops: ) The second one seems a little less anger inspiring. I'm not sure why - might just be because we've only played through Level 1.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

There's a crazy sale going on right now in the Switch eShop. Rabbids half off, Hollow Knight $9, and a ton more. Open the Deals section of the eShop and the list is very impressive.

I also picked up Astro Bears Party for one American dollar, and... It's worth that for my kids.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/a ... rty-switch
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Holy shit, folks. Switch is getting the Indie overload treatment this summer.

I'm already hooked on Dead Cells, Bad North, and Hollow Knight, and loved Celeste. Now I'm getting Slay the Spire, Into the Breach, and Bastion?
naednek

Post by naednek »

other than FTL which I probably won't get there was nothing remotely interesting to me in that video
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

That Bad North game looks interesting. Still digging it?
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

:horse:
naednek wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:45 pm other than FTL which I probably won't get there was nothing remotely interesting to me in that video
What independent games are you interested in that weren't in the video?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Kurth wrote:That Bad North game looks interesting. Still digging it?
Yes. I have only out a couple hours in (because I picked it, Dead Cells, Into the Breach, Astro Bears Party, and Puyo Puyo Tetris all up virtually at once). I'm enjoying it, though. Tough to tell how much staying power it has, but it's a nice light RTS diversion.
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

We purchased Bad North also. It was okay for a bit, but the game requires you to be zoomed out in order to see incoming threats - as a result I feel like I'm controlling blobs rather than units of my kingdom that I might or might not become attached to. After about 30 minutes I was wishing it was a Steam purchase so that I could request a refund. The game would be good for a little kid, but I'll likely chalk it up to a wasted $15 and delete it.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

It definitely isn't super deep. I'm still enjoying it as a diversion in between other games.

Also, PuyoPuyo Tetris is super fun with my kids. There's a lot more to this game than it appears at first blush.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I’m going to grab one of the Overcooked games. Which one? 1 or 2?

Also, thoughts on Into the Breach? Sounds like a winner.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

As the most recent purchaser of ITB with exactly zero experience or knowledge prior, I'll jump in.

Into the breach is a combination tactical/puzzler. I don't like puzzlers as the term is usually used, but it's appropriate here but in a slightly different context.

The game gives you randomized scenarios, and you have to look at the board and decide on moves that are most beneficial this turn. IF you get good enough, you can also make moves that have benefits on the next turn. Past the second turn I think the game is too random to spend a lot of time on. Making THIS turn the best turn it can be is where most people will spend their energy.

It's like chess, in that you can see all the pieces on the board. It's slightly easier, because you don't have to predict all the moves that the enemy *could* make. The game tells you exactly what the enemy pieces are going to do on their turn. Your job is to thwart them.

There are unlocks, and some leveling, and some strategic decisions outside of the happenings on the table.

It's simple in execution (mostly) and deep in tactics (like chess, sorta). How much time and mental energy you want to spend on each turn is up to you. I'm sure people play this rapid fire, turn after turn, like speed chess, and I'm sure people agonize over each individual decision. There is no "wrong" way to play.

With all that said, it makes a pretty good game on the handheld. It's not a big tv game and there is no benefit that I can see to playing it on the TV, other than everything is bigger and if you're eyes aren't perfect that helps see everything clearly. Chess is pretty good on a small board too. It doesn't need to be the size of a dining room table and doesn't add much if it is.

It's more of a game that Faster than Light (which I liked quite a bit) but they aren't comparable.

I like the game, it works for what I wanted from it, which is quiet gaming on the couch/bed.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Sounds great! I’m in.

Also, having a blast with Overcooked, but, damn, it’s hard. Only on like the third level (making tomato and onion soups) and am struggling to get three stars.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Sorry, saw this too late! I would recommend Overcooked 2. I'm up to World 3 and it is challenging but not punishing. And the throwing food mechanic is a ton of fun.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Still enjoying Overcooked, but, damn, I’m addicted to Into the Breach! Just finished my first perfect timeline (all objectives met and full grid, but lost a few citizens here and there), and unlocked some new mechs. Looking forward to my next play through with the Rusted Huls.

One question: I read that on the PC there was a way to see the order of enemy turns. How do we do that on the Switch version? I’ve been burned more than once because Vek I planned to destroy each other with friendly fire ended up doing damage to me or the grid instead because they didn’t fire off in the order I expected.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Glad you're enjoying it!
Kurth wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:18 amOne question: I read that on the PC there was a way to see the order of enemy turns. How do we do that on the Switch version? I’ve been burned more than once because Vek I planned to destroy each other with friendly fire ended up doing damage to me or the grid instead because they didn’t fire off in the order I expected.
I believe it's via pushing in on the right analog stick.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Thanks, Zaxxon! That should help.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:25 pm IT'S SMASH!!! IT'S SMASH!!!!!

Forever answering the question, 'are there much bigger videogame nerds than OOers?'
Final Smash Nintendo Direct from this AM. You know, I'm not as huge into Smash as some folks, but this looks pretty awesome. So many modes, and dare I say even single-player stuff that looks like it'd keep me entertained for a long time.

Not enthused about the $25 DLC pack, but I do like that they are also making the five component parts available individually ($5.99) so that if I only want 1 or 2 of the DLC fighters, I can do that.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

It has never interested me since the very earliest iterations, but the kids will be thrilled to get it for Christmas.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

And with today's 8-minute summary trailer, I'm still in despite being an old man.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Kind of a big deal, no?

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I'm interested.
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Smash day today!
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:49 pmI'm interested.
Looks great! We know anything else about it?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I think that's all we've got. The trailer came out during The Game Commercials Awards last night.

Side note: I played 2.5 hours of Smash last night. Seems awesome. Also, I still suck majorly at Smash.
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

I'm not good at Smash either, but I have fun anyway.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!