Amazon has whacked our affiliate account. Hosting Donations/Commitments $2063 of $1920 (Sept 13/18). In Hand $1466 (Lump sum payments minus paypal graft). Paypal Donation Link Here

All Things Saudi

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

El Guapo

Re: All Things Saudi

Post by El Guapo » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:37 am

LordMortis wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:03 am
Alefroth wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:52 pm
I still don't understand why this is where the GOP decides to stand up to Trump.
Negotiating tactic? Trump may be the deplorable pied piper (who hates rats oddly enough) but his interests are not the interests of the GOP. They're using each other. I'm sure the GOP would love nothing more than to have the thralls turn on the sorcerer and look like champions for taking down "one of their own" because he was dirty.
I think it's still too soon to assume that they will. I'm going to wait until they actually do something substantive - a censure resolution would be something, but something with concrete teeth would be better.

But, I think it's still highly plausible that, after letting Senators fulminate righteously for a few days, McConnell just buries any actions and the relevant GOP senators do nothing.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:35 pm

El Guapo wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:37 am
LordMortis wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:03 am
Alefroth wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:52 pm
I still don't understand why this is where the GOP decides to stand up to Trump.
Negotiating tactic? Trump may be the deplorable pied piper (who hates rats oddly enough) but his interests are not the interests of the GOP. They're using each other. I'm sure the GOP would love nothing more than to have the thralls turn on the sorcerer and look like champions for taking down "one of their own" because he was dirty.
I think it's still too soon to assume that they will. I'm going to wait until they actually do something substantive - a censure resolution would be something, but something with concrete teeth would be better.

But, I think it's still highly plausible that, after letting Senators fulminate righteously for a few days, McConnell just buries any actions and the relevant GOP senators do nothing.
I don't think will. I do think the collective known as the GOP will not hesitate to throw him to wolves should it get them an advantage and probably actively look for that advantage. But they won't do it without close to zero risk.

Holman

Post by Holman » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:54 pm

Kyle Griffin wrote:Jared Kushner and Mohammed bin Salman texted each other regularly, NYT reports. The exchanges continued even after Jamal Khashoggi's murder.

Kushner, it is reported, has offered the crown prince advice about how to "weather the storm."
Link to article.

Ladies and gentlemen, your international ruling class of grifters and murderers!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:24 pm

Saudis go all in on Trump:
The midterm elections have amplified an existing suspicion in Middle Eastern media of Muslim political activism in the United States. Academics, media outlets, and commentators close to Persian Gulf governments have repeatedly accused Omar, Rashida Tlaib (another newly elected Muslim congresswoman), and Abdul El-Sayed (who made a failed bid to become governor of Michigan) of being secret members of the Muslim Brotherhood who are hostile to the governments of Saudi Arabia and the UAE. On Sunday, Saudi-owned Al Arabiya published a feature insinuating that Omar and Tlaib were part of an alliance between the Democratic Party and Islamist groups to control Congress. The article accused the two of being “anti-Trump and his political team and options, especially his foreign policy starting from the sanctions on Iran to the isolation of the Muslim Brotherhood and all movements of political Islam.”...

...El-Sayed told me that political elites in places like Egypt, Saudi Arabia, and the UAE felt threatened by American politicians who are also Muslim. For average Middle Easterners, his story is inspiring. (The clearest instance of Middle Easterners drawing such inspiration, ironically, was the first presidential election victory of Barack Obama, who faced false accusations of being a Muslim.)

The rise of politicians like El-Sayed, Omar, and Tlaib also undermines a core argument advanced by dictators in the Middle East: that their people are not ready for democracy. “People would not have access to power in their countries but they would if they leave; this destroys the argument by Sisi or bin Salman,” El-Sayed said, referring to Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi and Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman. “What’s ironic is there is no way I would aspire to be in leadership in Egypt, the place of my fathers.”

American allies in the region also fear that the Democratic Party’s new Arab leaders will advocate for political change in their countries.
There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:52 pm

Senators vote to end US backing for Saudi war on Yemen
The US Senate has voted to withdraw US military aid for Saudi Arabia's war on Yemen and to blame the kingdom's crown prince for the murder of a journalist.

The historic vote is the first time any chamber of US Congress has agreed to pull US forces from a military conflict under the 1973 War Powers Act.

Some of President Donald Trump's fellow Republicans defied him to pass the measure with Democrats by 56-41.

But the resolution is seen as largely symbolic and unlikely to become law.

The non-binding "war powers resolution" calls upon President Trump to remove all American forces engaging in hostilities in Yemen, except for those combating Islamist extremists.

The Senate then unanimously passed a resolution blaming Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman for Washington Post reporter Jamal Khashoggi's murder in October, and insisting that the kingdom hold accountable those responsible.

The US chose to cease refuelling Saudi war planes last month, and Thursday's resolution - if it were ultimately passed into law - would prohibit that practice from resuming.
Time and tide melt the snowman.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.
-- The Doctor

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:38 pm

Washington Sends the Saudis a Long-Overdue Bill
Things are not going well for Saudi Arabia in Washington.

On Thursday, the Senate voted unanimously to blame Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman for the murder of the Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, and 56 members—a clear majority—-cast votes to end U.S. support for the Saudi-led war effort in Yemen. The rebuke was followed shortly afterward by a revelation about the Defense Department’s refueling of that bombing campaign: According to the Pentagon, the department had somehow failed to bill the Saudis and the Emiratis for at least $331 million in fuel and servicing costs. The Saudis, it appears, never directly paid the U.S. a penny.
We all know how Trump feels about allies that don't pony up the cash. :coffee:
Time and tide melt the snowman.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.
-- The Doctor

Paingod

Post by Paingod » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:58 am

NPR was running a story this morning on Saudi Arabia - and how companies are having more of a conscience than our government.

Some Hollywood agencies have pulled out of deals (one even gave back $400m) but likely because they have news branches and are more concerned with their appearance to their own journalists than anything else. Other companies are calling investing there "radioactive" and won't touch it.

October article. Today's audio (4m 20s).
More than ever, now is the time to stand by the causes you believe in; donate and support to keep America great.
Reproductive Rights, Environmental Defense, Civil Liberties, LGBTQ Awareness, Immigration Rights
Currently playing: Mordor: Shadow of War, Curious Expedition

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:42 am

WaPo
The children of slain Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi have received million-dollar houses in the kingdom and monthly five-figure payments as compensation for the killing of their father, according to current and former Saudi officials as well as people close to the family.

Khashoggi’s two sons and two daughters may also receive much larger payouts — possibly tens of millions of dollars apiece — as part of “blood money” negotiations that are expected to ensue when the trials of Khashoggi’s accused killers are completed in the coming months, according to the officials and others who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive talks.

The previously undisclosed payments are part of an effort by Saudi Arabia to reach a long-term arrangement with Khashoggi family members, aimed in part at ensuring that they continue to show restraint in their public statements about the killing of their father by Saudi operatives in Istanbul six months ago, the officials said.
A Saudi official described the payments as consistent with the country’s long-standing practice of providing financial support to victims of violent crime or even natural disasters and rejected the suggestion that the Khashoggi family would be obligated to remain silent. “Such support is part of our custom and culture,” the official said. “It is not attached to anything else.”

As part of their preliminary settlement, the Khashoggi children were each given houses in Jiddah worth as much as $4 million apiece. The properties are part of a shared compound in which Salah Khashoggi, the eldest son, occupies the main structure.

A banker in Jiddah, Salah is the only Khashoggi sibling who intends to continue living in Saudi Arabia, according to people close to the family. The others reside in the United States and are expected to sell their new Saudi properties.
Silver - 2k

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator
Loading…

Post by LawBeefaroni » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:23 pm

Paingod wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:58 am
NPR was running a story this morning on Saudi Arabia - and how companies are having more of a conscience than our government.

Some Hollywood agencies have pulled out of deals (one even gave back $400m) but likely because they have news branches and are more concerned with their appearance to their own journalists than anything else. Other companies are calling investing there "radioactive" and won't touch it.

October article. Today's audio (4m 20s).

Our own government [officials] want a piece of the action. Preferably in their pockets.

Saudi Arabia's state-run oil company Saudi Aramco is by far the world's most profitable company, according to a note published Monday by credit rating agency Moody's.

The company made a profit of $111 billion in 2018, according to Moody's based on a prospectus for a bond offering the company expects to use to help it finance the purchase of 70% of Saudi Basic Industries Corp. Aramco hopes to buy a stake in the state-owned petrochemical company for $69.1 billion.

The company had revenue of $355.9 billion in 2018 and $48.8 billion of cash on the books at the end of the year. Saudi Aramco's cash on hand easily covered its $27 billion debt load.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

abr

Post by abr » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:25 am

Isgrimnur wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:42 am
WaPo
The children of slain Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi have received million-dollar houses in the kingdom and monthly five-figure payments as compensation for the killing of their father, according to current and former Saudi officials as well as people close to the family.

Khashoggi’s two sons and two daughters may also receive much larger payouts — possibly tens of millions of dollars apiece — as part of “blood money” negotiations that are expected to ensue when the trials of Khashoggi’s accused killers are completed in the coming months, according to the officials and others who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive talks.

The previously undisclosed payments are part of an effort by Saudi Arabia to reach a long-term arrangement with Khashoggi family members, aimed in part at ensuring that they continue to show restraint in their public statements about the killing of their father by Saudi operatives in Istanbul six months ago, the officials said.
A Saudi official described the payments as consistent with the country’s long-standing practice of providing financial support to victims of violent crime or even natural disasters and rejected the suggestion that the Khashoggi family would be obligated to remain silent. “Such support is part of our custom and culture,” the official said. “It is not attached to anything else.”

As part of their preliminary settlement, the Khashoggi children were each given houses in Jiddah worth as much as $4 million apiece. The properties are part of a shared compound in which Salah Khashoggi, the eldest son, occupies the main structure.

A banker in Jiddah, Salah is the only Khashoggi sibling who intends to continue living in Saudi Arabia, according to people close to the family. The others reside in the United States and are expected to sell their new Saudi properties.
Must be an odd position to be in - "Hey, they murdered & dismembered my dad, but now I am set for live because of it.".