Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: PC Gaming Randomness

Post by Isgrimnur »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:49 pm Can't remember where I saw this today, but it went something like this:

If the Tank dies, it's the healer's fault.
If the Healer dies, it's the Tank's fault.
If DPS dies, it's their own damn fault.
gilraen wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:30 pm If the tank dies - it's the healer's fault.

If the healer dies - it's the tank's fault.

If the DPS die - it's their own damn fault :)

I play tanks AND healers in WoW, mainly because I feel guilty taking up a DPS spot in the dungeon queue if the character has a tank or heal spec. But I'm so sick of all group content, I play 95% of the game as if it were a single-player game, only running an instance if absolutely necessary to complete a quest.
It's a mystery. :think:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:13 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:49 pm Can't remember where I saw this today, but it went something like this:

If the Tank dies, it's the healer's fault.
If the Healer dies, it's the Tank's fault.
If DPS dies, it's their own damn fault.
gilraen wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:30 pm If the tank dies - it's the healer's fault.

If the healer dies - it's the tank's fault.

If the DPS die - it's their own damn fault :)

I play tanks AND healers in WoW, mainly because I feel guilty taking up a DPS spot in the dungeon queue if the character has a tank or heal spec. But I'm so sick of all group content, I play 95% of the game as if it were a single-player game, only running an instance if absolutely necessary to complete a quest.
It's a mystery. :think:
:oops: Serves me right for paging through the topic too quickly.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:D
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

See this has to do with the DLC for Inquisition and I haven't played them. I cant get them right now. I joined Access for $5 thinking that would do it but nope only Premium would.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:33 am
What a shitty trailer, even for a teaser.

I consider myself at least moderately plugged into the gaming scene. I love Bioware games. I love fantasy RPGs. I love the Dragon Age games, and have played through all three main games at least twice (although I generally don't do much of the DLC...by the time it comes out, I've usually moved on to something else).

If the title of that hadn't been "Dragon Age Official Teaser Trailer, I would have had zero idea what game it was for or what it was referencing.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It is a pretty big tie into the base game, and suggests it is a direct sequel to DA:I, with one of the recruitable NPCs as a major actor in the new story.

Dread Wolf.

Big spoiler from DA:I, base game, that wasn't clear if you weren't paying attention:
Spoiler:
The Dread Wolf, Elven trickster god, is Solas.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:17 pm See this has to do with the DLC for Inquisition and I haven't played them. I cant get them right now. I joined Access for $5 thinking that would do it but nope only Premium would.
The DLC bundle is available for $18.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:06 pm It is a pretty big tie into the base game, and suggests it is a direct sequel to DA:I, with one of the recruitable NPCs as a major actor in the new story.

Dread Wolf.

Big spoiler from DA:I, base game, that wasn't clear if you weren't paying attention:
Spoiler:
The Dread Wolf, Elven trickster god, is Solas.
Huh.

Granted, it's been a long time, but I've played through DA:I twice and the whole "Dread Wolf" thing didn't ring a bell at all. Either I'm blocking out a major component of the story, or it just wasn't all that interesting.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It was subtle. The after-credits scene made the connection, and you'd only have caught it if you'd paid attention to a description in a temple earlier in the game.

I'm told now that the topic was explored more in the DLC.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Tomorrow Dec 10th is the 25th Anniversary of DOOM. How old does that make you feel? Makes me ancient.

Romero is announcing his new game tomorrow to coincide with this. The game is complete it says. No idea what it is.

https://www.romerogames.ie/
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

https://www.romerogames.ie/sigil/

its called Sigil and its a DOOM megawad. Its FREE. but theres also 2 boxed sets for it. Id love that $166 box dangit. Yes Id do it...if I was wealthy.
SIGIL™ is a free megawad for the original 1993 DOOM® created by John Romero. It contains nine single-player and nine deathmatch levels. The free megawad will be released in mid- February 2019 and requires players own the original 1993 registered version of DOOM® in order to play. SIGIL™ is the spiritual successor to the fourth episode of DOOM®, and picks up where the original left off.

In addition to the free megawad, SIGIL also releases in two limited edition fan boxes created by Limited Run Games. The fan boxes feature music by metal guitar legend Buckethead, including a custom song written expressly for SIGIL, and cover art by Christopher Lovell whose iconic, detailed work has been featured on numerous metal albums. (Note: The free megawad does not ship with Buckethead’s music or Christopher Lovell’s art.)
The Beast Box of SIGIL includes the following:

A beautiful demonic over-sized box, inspired by the id Anthology™ box, individually numbered and signed personally by John Romero and featuring the artwork of Christopher Lovell.

A 16GB 3-1/2-inch floppy disk-themed USB that includes the free megawad data and extras.

A 2-disc booklet styled case that includes the free megawad data and full soundtrack by Buckethead and behind-the-scenes information on the original game and the megawad’s development.

A beautiful 8" x 10" art print signed by the illustrator, Christopher Lovell.

A SIGIL-themed coin.

A pewter statue of John Romero’s head on a spike.

An XL-sized SIGIL T-shirt.

2 stickers: 1 SIGIL and 1 Romero Games.

WARNING: This item is limited to TWO per customer.

Enlarge Image

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

When A Gamer Turns 65: A Continuing Series

:cry: I now have to wear reading glasses to play BATTLETECH (Battletech? BattleTech?) on the computer. I've already had to wear the glasses to read books, but this crosses a line.

:| I added to my Pocket list a link to the new hour and three quarters long Unforeseen Consequences: A Half-Life Documentary, but I know I'll never watch it, because I can't stay interested in listening to people talk for that long.

:roll: When I reach the twenty hour mark on a game, I tend to lose interest, not because of the game, but because I just don't feel that excited about gaming anymore. And I've been gaming since I was nine.

:doh: I cannot keep straight the names of anyone in Assassin's Creed Odyssey, except for the heroine, old what's her name.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:42 pm :doh: I cannot keep straight the names of anyone in Assassin's Creed Odyssey, except for the heroine, old what's her name.
:D
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:42 pmWhen A Gamer Turns 65: A Continuing Series...
You're not encouraging me here. I've always told my wife that if I go senile in my older age, all I want her to do is stick me in front of a good Turn Based game and go off to enjoy her life. I'll forget what I was doing each turn, but have time to figure it out and make another move. It'll keep me entertained and out of trouble.

I've also been gaming since I was 9 - but I'm only 41.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:42 pm When A Gamer Turns 65: A Continuing Series

:cry: I now have to wear reading glasses to play BATTLETECH (Battletech? BattleTech?) on the computer. I've already had to wear the glasses to read books, but this crosses a line.

:| I added to my Pocket list a link to the new hour and three quarters long Unforeseen Consequences: A Half-Life Documentary, but I know I'll never watch it, because I can't stay interested in listening to people talk for that long.

:roll: When I reach the twenty hour mark on a game, I tend to lose interest, not because of the game, but because I just don't feel that excited about gaming anymore. And I've been gaming since I was nine.

:doh: I cannot keep straight the names of anyone in Assassin's Creed Odyssey, except for the heroine, old what's her name.
Three out of four of those apply to me, and I have a couple of decades to go before I get to 65.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:42 am
jztemple2 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:42 pm When A Gamer Turns 65: A Continuing Series

Three out of four of those apply to me, and I have a couple of decades to go before I get to 65.
The point being, "We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!"
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:05 pm The point being, "We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!"
Amen to that!
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I was olde before I started playing. But I know of no one of my age that plays as much as me.
I average probably 8 hours a day.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:42 pm :| I added to my Pocket list a link to the new hour and three quarters long Unforeseen Consequences: A Half-Life Documentary, but I know I'll never watch it, because I can't stay interested in listening to people talk for that long.
Huh, didn't know that a Pocket List was a thing, I figured you just misspelled Bucket List. :wink:

I'm only two years behind you, btw.
-mf
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:41 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:42 pm :| I added to my Pocket list a link to the new hour and three quarters long Unforeseen Consequences: A Half-Life Documentary, but I know I'll never watch it, because I can't stay interested in listening to people talk for that long.
Huh, didn't know that a Pocket List was a thing, I figured you just misspelled Bucket List. :wink:

I'm only two years behind you, btw.
In case you were serious, GetPocket.com
Capture content from everywhere. Save articles, videos and stories from any publication, page or app. Curate your own space filled with everything you can't wait to learn.
I've also been retired for seven and a half years, so I'd have a lot of time to vegetate if I wanted to. Thankfully besides gaming I'm also a devoted book reader. I saw an article a while ago that mentioned that reading keeps the mind active almost as much as gaming, since reading requires your brain to create images and employ conceptualization. Watching TV or a video doesn't do anything nearly as stimulating.

By the way, that reference to gaming keeping the mind active doesn't apply to battle royale games. Continually spawning and getting killed seconds later doesn't require a lot of mental agility, only a modicum of patience and a bit of insanity :D
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I have tons of insanity but no patience so I dislike those games now days. Younger I loved deathmatch. I tried TF2 today and died twice got mad and quit. Spawning running someplace to die waiting to spawn and doing it over and over is something I super hate.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:07 am I have tons of insanity but no patience so I dislike those games now days. Younger I loved deathmatch. I tried TF2 today and died twice got mad and quit. Spawning running someplace to die waiting to spawn and doing it over and over is something I super hate.
I can't believe how many hours I put into the original Team Fortress. I did try TF2 but by then I just couldn't take the constant spawn-shot-die-repeat cycle.

I had a lot of fun with the earlier Call of Duty games. My favorite was Call of Duty: World at War. I liked the slower pace and less techy weapons. I also liked the original CoD Black Ops, I played Nuketown so many times. I also liked CoD 4: Modern Warfare, especially the very large map Overgrown. I did try the latest CoD game but sheesh, between my slowing down and the maps being smaller, it just doesn't feel fun anymore. :cry:

My absolute favorite MP game was Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising by Novalogic. The maps were very large, miles long and miles wide and there could be 150 players in a game, although anything over 64 was usually too much for the servers to handle. And for me, the mode of choice was always Team Deathmatch. What was so cool about it was that the layout of the maps was very different so they played very different. On the smaller maps, and that is in relative terms, the game time limit would be thirty minutes, but the very biggest maps it would be three hours. Even as I write this I'm getting a flood of memories about how much fun it was doing multiplayer before headsets, when you'd either use a pre-canned button press to say something or have to type it out.

And coop in Joint Ops was essential, because on some maps there were islands that you had to reach by flying or by boat in order to get into the action. I spent many a game being a transport chopper pilot for at least part of the time, picking up spawning players and dropping them off where they asked. On maps that were mostly land, the driver of a land vehicle couldn't operate the guns, so you needed at least a second person to help.

Joint Ops was also the epitome of MP sniping. I'd spawn in a behind the lines location, then grab a jeep and drive around the main battles, then dump the jeep and hoof it on foot to near an enemy spawn point. These were small round forts where you spawned and also could go back and swap your load out. And as I'd approach this enemy fort, I'd go prone and slither on my belly till I could get a nice lined up shot into the fort. You couldn't shoot someone who just spawn until they had moved. So you'd wait until they moved a bit and were selecting their loadout and boom, one shot kill. They would spawn again in about ten seconds, and they had the option to select a further back location. But often they'd spawn at the same place and drop and hide, then sneak out to try to find me. In the meantime however I'd have moved locations and boom, I'd get them again. I remember that in one glorious incident I spent about twenty minutes outside a spawn fort, killing so many enemies that they quit spawning there. And just to add insult to them, I'd actually sneak into the fort to get more ammo, then back to my hide to shoot again :D
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kinda surprising to myself Im looking forward to The Division 2.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I remember Joint Ops fondly. It was killed outright when Battlefield 2 released, sadly.

These days the only multiplayer shooter I regularly still play is Overwatch. It's everything that was great about the Team Fortress games.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

So, riddle me this. Why is does Dandelion in the Witcher games as narrator during the loading screens sound so different than the actual character? It's as if they're two completely different personas. If it weren't for them sometimes referring to himself in first-person, I'd think they the narrator were a completely different character. It's as if Narrator Dandelion is trying his best to sound like Geralt. A lower gruffer voice than he does in-game.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:09 am So, riddle me this. Why is does Dandelion in the Witcher games as narrator during the loading screens sound so different than the actual character? It's as if they're two completely different personas. If it weren't for them sometimes referring to himself in first-person, I'd think they the narrator were a completely different character. It's as if Narrator Dandelion is trying his best to sound like Geralt. A lower gruffer voice than he does in-game.
I intrepreted that as due to Narrator Dandelion being much older than the character in the game. If you go full meta and assume that the events in the game are a story being related by Narrator Dandelion, then the character is how Dandelion sees his younger self rather than actually being the younger Dandelion.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

morlac wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:17 pm
Paingod wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:57 pm Communication as a Healer is essential, letting your team know when you need a break.

I've only done it a couple times and it's a very different way to play most games. Rewarding in its own way when everyone survives and you know it was your work that did it. It requires a different kind of awareness, and you almost need to be able to predict what your team will do in the near future so you can plan for it. Then it all goes pear shaped and you're the last one standing, running for your life. :D
Yes, total different mindset. In DAOC, where I did it the most I hardly pay attention to he "action". I was monitoring health bars. However, to take it to the next level you need to predict aggro shifts and guess when the Mage is going to let fly the Nukes. In a really good group the Mage would wait until I threw on HOt (heal over time), then they would let loose. Through all this I am not even looking at mobs but watching bars and teammates. When the Mage start getting frigidity, shits about to hit the fan :P. Good stuff, I miss that awesome synergy.
So, FF XIV basically has 4 dungeon tiers: Level 1-50 dungeons are faceroll, level 50-60 are a little less faceroll but still pretty easy, 60-70 there's a good chance you'll die if you don't know what you're doing, and 70+/raids you'll definitely die if you don't bring your A game and know the mechanics.

My healer has progressed past the faceroll stage into the next tier. Thankfully, I'm familiar with most of the boss mechanics since I ran them a thousand times as a DPS, which makes progress a little easier. It's quite fascinating to see these dungeons from a different role's perspective though. I never realized what the healer was actually required to do until I've started doing it myself. Thanks to folks here for the tips, as they have proved invaluable as I adjust my mindset to what a healer should actually be doing. I should hopefully hit 60 this week and can jump up to the next tier, and we'll see how that goes. I still haven't braved 8-man content yet...baby steps.

Had a pretty great moment last night. The first 50+ dungeon I tried last week, I fell flat on my face. We had 8 party wipes before we finally squeaked through it...with myself and one DPS dead. Thankfully the group was cool about it, since I had warned them it was my first one. That same dungeon came up in a random queue last night, and I about panicked. This time - due to lots more practice and familiarity with the tools - we cruised through without a single hitch. It was maybe the most satisfying gaming moment I've had all year.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Greatest games 1996. That Falcon NW Mach V was about $4500 even back then. Strangely they are the same price or cheaper now days :) But back then that was a NUTZ price.

Last edited by Daehawk on Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Max Peck wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:10 am I intrepreted that as due to Narrator Dandelion being much older than the character in the game. If you go full meta and assume that the events in the game are a story being related by Narrator Dandelion, then the character is how Dandelion sees his younger self rather than actually being the younger Dandelion.
Interesting theory. I hadn't considered the older angle. Even so, the narrator sounds so drastically different as to be two different characters. I thought maybe it was down to a difference between his public persona and his writing, by adopting a literary voice, which technically would make sense from a writer's standpoint, which he is.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:12 pm Greatest games 1996. That Falcon NW Mach V was about $4500 even back then. Strangely they are the same price or cheaper now days :) But back then that was a NUTZ price.
I got my first Falcon NW in early 2003, it was a Mach V and I think it was about $3500 with the way I configured it, including shipping and warranty. The one I'm using now is a Falcon NW Talon which has fewer options but was still a really nice machine and I think was about $3300.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Always figured they lasted forever. Just could never afford one. I was building basically the same thing...just not quite as high end.....for about $800
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:47 am Always figured they lasted forever. Just could never afford one. I was building basically the same thing...just not quite as high end.....for about $800
It's my one luxury. We buy clothes on the the discount racks, don't have smart phones, scan the BOGO stands in the supermarket, don't smoke or drink and the last time I bought a vehicle that wasn't at least a couple of years old was when Reagan was in his first term. And I put a quarter million each on my last two cars. So my wife thinks I deserve to splurge on something (besides her :roll:).

And yes, the Falcons are pretty much bulletproof. I never seem to have a problem with any games (assuming I have the specs to run it), never had a hardware issue and Falcon did a great job stripping out all the crap from the software before delivery. My wife and I both run Win7 and when the popup dialogue boxes started showing up, pushing people to upgrade to Win10, I never saw one on my rig, but my wife had at least one almost every day. And she still gets the occasional popup from HP, no matter how I try to clean those things out from the registry.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

90's game quiz.

I missed 5.

Daehawk, I expect you to get 100%
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I started off well. Solely on guesses. I don't think I hit one I'd actually played until #7 or so. Then my guessing fell apart. I missed 12. Though one I actually knew and just clicked the wrong button.

Still, I think by the end I'd only hit ~10 that I'd actually ever played. The rest were all guesses.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

100%, dead easy
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I missed three. Only two were pure guesses (the racing games.) Others that I didn't recognize were still obvious due to the process of elimination.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:44 pm Others that I didn't recognize were still obvious due to the process of elimination.
My memory isn't that good, most of the ones I got because I knew which ones they weren't.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Missed 2 out of 49, only one of which I'm embarrassed about.
I have but one advocate.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

FYI, Subnautica is free on the Epic Games Store through the holidays. Just go the store page, set up an account, and it's yours.

I've been eyeing it forever, but could never bring myself to pull the trigger because survival games usually don't click with me. But for free, I'll definitely give it a look.