Magic Arena OO talk

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Pyperkub

Re: Magic Arena OO talk

Post by Pyperkub »

Check the artifacts. Meteor golem works too.

How do you chat in this game (text)? Had a couple of players do a nice game, etc. But couldn't figure out how to respond.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Redfive wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:12 am What do you have in the way of creature removal?

The merfolk deck seems to rely and win on the unblockable creatures so to me the answer would be Murder or the other card from one of the previous sets that kill any non legendary creature--sorry I'm forgetting the name.

I have what I think is a pretty solid G/W deck that does a lot with life link. I went toe to toe with Merfolk last night where he received probably the best draw he could possibly get as he was dropping unblockable creatures on turns 1, 2 and 3. I was able to respond with cheap lifelink critters. There was no defense as I couldn't block his and he was using all of his to attack so we were just trading shots. He wound up winning the turn before I would have killed him on my next go.

I have no removal in my deck and sometime it shows in a bad way.
The deck I face relies on quickness twofers. Which at first glance means holding back for counterspells, not something I want to play right now.

This Spell plays a creature and pumps these others
This Spell puts a permanent back in my hand or locks down a blocker and has an enhanment side effect of something, etc...

If I were playing Murders, they are too slow. They cost like 4 mana and the game is already getting out of hand four turns in. If, I'm playing black I'd use the one black -2/-2 or sacrifice a critter common. That's a good bang for your buck to slow mefolk down but that's only 4 cards and the damage of the twofer is already done and it's sorcery.

The turns 1,2,3 "perfect draw" is the thing. There is this common deck grabbed with wilds, I assume, where the routes to a perfect draw are nearly ubiquitous, beginning with either one of the blue unblockables on turn one or the one green guy who gets tokens for everything the merfolk deck does. Shutting that down on turn one is mandatory and is difficult to do sans direct damage on turn one.

With White you can lock him down with enchantments or totally fuck him up with the everything dies card pyperkup linked to.

I'm hopeful my R/W weenie token haste mentor deck will tweak to match the speed. Tapping out and "returning" tokens to my hand should become inefficient for the merfolk to destabilize reliably.
Paingod wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:44 am I think the best run I had against one was a Green landspawn (Elves for +Forests) Deck with a few big creatures mixed in. I had 6 mana before he had 4, and I was able to start fielding 5/5's and 6/4's before he could get enough Merfolk up to kill me.
Single color may be the way to go. It give you some reliability in your speed. Maybe I'll do some more single color decks this weekend. They're not as fun for me but losing to indecisive merfolk isn't fun either (and I swear to pancake that's half my problem. Every merfolk deck player I am destined to lose against plays the game like they're consulting a manual for interaction. So now there's inevitability, but I think "maybe something won't be perfect in their deck this time" so I play it out in slow mo until the inevitability is demonstrable instead of assumed.)
Last edited by LordMortis on Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:36 pm Check the artifacts. Meteor golem works too.

How do you chat in this game (text)? Had a couple of players do a nice game, etc. But couldn't figure out how to respond.
You don't chat. There are like six emotes, maybe, you can do if you click on your own avatar.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Get active in the OO Discord and we can chat if we play each other, or voice.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Paingod wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:44 am There aren't enough Murders in the game to deal with rampaging Merfolk.

Enlarge ImageEnlarge Image

Sorry for different image sizes--two different sources.

These are also in the current format and both are very strong, esp. Cast Down against quick merfolk.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I don't have a single cast down in my collection. I don't root through cards I don't own. The murder puppy can be used to great effect, but I find if I am playing against a merdeck, it's arlready a foregone conclusion by turn 4 and murder puppy would be a nice twofer retaliation, but I would need to come after a strong opening gambit.

brb
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

https://www.magicarenacardlist.com/

that was an easy find. :D

In addition to the uncommon I am now upset I own zero copies of these are some useful commons that are combo independent.

Duress 1 black sorcery common from M19 - Opponent reveals hand and you make 'em discard non creature non land.

Divest 1 black sorcery common from dominainana - Opponent reveals hand and you make 'em discard an artifact or creature.

Moment of craving 1 black one other commo instant from Ixilan, critter goes -2-2 you get two life

Viscious Offering 1 black one other common instant from dominatrix - critter gets -2-2 or kick it with a scarifice and make it -5-5

If you add combos like suicide skellies or B/W life sucking there are a few more one or two cost black. (Didn't know before two of these were uncommon. Don't know if I lucked out with them or if they were unlocked in preconstructucted decks NM, not uncommon, just white on black and poor vision on my part)
Last edited by LordMortis on Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:23 pm I don't have a single cast down in my collection. I don't root through cards I don't own.

brb
Fair enough, just letting you know they exist.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Redfive wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:10 pm
Paingod wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:44 am There aren't enough Murders in the game to deal with rampaging Merfolk.
<Image Snip>Cast Down, Chupacabra</Image Snip>
Sorry for different image sizes--two different sources.

These are also in the current format and both are very strong, esp. Cast Down against quick merfolk.
Are those both Uncommons? I can't tell with the icons. I've just about used up all my Uncommon Wildcards, and have no intention of paying cash for more... but if those are Common, I could probably snag a few. I do also have one Meteor Golem, but he's an expensive "Boom" to nuke a Merfolk at (7).
LordMortis wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:37 pmSingle color may be the way to go.
I've been pleasantly surprised with how the stock single-color decks hold up against some things. I sometimes have to be a little creative or lucky with them, but they can win.
Redfive wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:36 pmFair enough, just letting you know they exist.
The card filter in the game is extremely helpful. I use criteria like "Life" or "Token" or "Destroy" and select the colors I want to see ... and there they are. There's even the "Magic" icon to select to see cards not currently in my collection, or an advanced filter to single out commons for filler.
Last edited by Paingod on Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I may have to use a few wilds to retool my decks with the cast down. Two mana instant creature kill instant is a good value for my Black/Green deathtouch deck that I already spent wilds for these:

Poison Tip Archer One black One Green Two other uncommon creature from M19. 2.3 with reach and deathtouch. Additionally everytime a critter dies your opponent take a point of damage.
Last edited by LordMortis on Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Are those both Uncommons? I can't tell with the icons.
Not sure if you can't tell because of size of picture or because of ignorance.

White/Black = Common
Silver = uncommon
Gold = Rare
Burnt rust metallic = mythic rare

Both pics he posted were silver/uncommon.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I know the color coding... I just couldn't tell white from silver in the icon at that size. :wink: Cast Down looks silver, the other is ... questionable. I was leaning 60/40 with Silver as the favorite.
Last edited by Paingod on Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Not seeing your images for some reason LM.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Out of curiosity, what's the game's plan for cards you acquire more than four of? I've gotten 5 or 6 of some things. Is it just waste now, or do they get converted into Wildcard points or something?

Secondary - Is there a way to join events for those of us playing 'Free' and using Gold? The one I looked at wanted Gems (only) to access it.
Black Lives Matter

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Redfive wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:48 pm Not seeing your images for some reason LM.

Edited to include descriptions. Maybe they only load on mine from caches after looking them up on the link at the page? Dunno.

Paingod wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:50 pm Out of curiosity, what's the game's plan for cards you acquire more than four of? I've gotten 5 or 6 of some things. Is it just waste now, or do they get converted into Wildcard points or something?
Look up "the five card problem." In short, they convert to wildcard points and there is speculation that this will not always be the case.
Secondary - Is there a way to join events for those of us playing 'Free' and using Gold? The one I looked at wanted Gems (only) to access it.
I save my gold and once a week I drop 5000 gold to play the booster draft with the 5000 gold play option. I play during the week to better learn my cards, gaining 5000 gold for the weekend where I blow it quickly poorly playing in a booster draft. There is another draft that is only Gems. I don't play it and I'm not about to wonder in to constructed.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Redfive wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:48 pm Not seeing your images for some reason LM.
No hotlinking, looks like. Can't even get the image to load in it's own browser tab, which I think means you can't access the images directly either.
LordMortis wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:59 pm Edited to include descriptions. Maybe they only load on mine from caches after looking them up on the link at the page? Dunno.
Looks like it.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Installing, god damn it.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:19 pm Installing, god damn it.
I'm enjoying it enough to be happy I threw my five bucks at it and would throw five bucks at it a few more times for the same value I got for my first five bucks. For the foreseeable future two rounds of virtual card drafting for $5 is acceptable to me. We'll see if they have a sale on gems while iron is still fresh off the grill.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:19 pm Installing, god damn it.
Find me in Discord--I'll be happy to provide beat dow--err assistance with any questions you might have.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

GreenGoo#17044
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

No wild just what I've won. Could use improvements but three merdecks so far tonight. One competive loss, two suckouts three turns when their "perfect draw" didn't go as intended. So far so good.
Spoiler:
1 Leonin Warleader (M19) 23
4 Leonin Vanguard (M19) 22
8 Plains (M19) 261
1 Clifftop Retreat (DAR) 239
3 Goblin Instigator (M19) 142
7 Mountain (M19) 273
1 Militia Bugler (M19) 29
3 Heroic Reinforcements (M19) 217
2 Siege-Gang Commander (DAR) 143
1 Inspired Charge (M19) 15
1 Trumpet Blast (M19) 165
2 Make a Stand (M19) 26
1 Hieromancer's Cage (M19) 14
4 Stone Quarry (M19) 256
4 Boros Guildgate (GRN) 243
1 Justice Strike (GRN) 182
1 Truefire Captain (GRN) 209
3 Sunhome Stalwart (GRN) 26
1 Blade Instructor (GRN) 1
1 Parhelion Patrol (GRN) 22
1 Goblin Banneret (GRN) 102
2 Legion Warboss (GRN) 109
1 Wojek Bodyguard (GRN) 120
1 Barging Sergeant (GRN) 92
1 Skyknight Legionnaire (GRN) 198
2 Pyromantic Pilgrim (DAR) 278
1 Inspiring Commander (ANA) 5
1 The Immortal Sun (RIX) 180
Now the game is reinstalling after I shut down to learn how exprot works. :?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

My machine took a shit and now I know why, they just did a total overhaul. Rank may have been changed. Not sure. Maybe better matchups coming?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Played my first game against a living person. I probably should have actually reviewed my deck before playing. Every card that I drew was the first time seeing it. Once the timers started kicking in I had some trouble.

I played the default black deck against a mixed deck (green and something, blue maybe?). It was only close for the first few turns but eventually I started to pull ahead and then it was over. Beating a random stranger who very well could be just learning the game is not something to brag about, but still, winning is winning, and I'm happy with how it went.

As a public service announcement, you can use emotes by clicking on your avatar (left or right, I don't remember) which will bring up the emote menu. Hello, Good Game, Your Turn are a few of the options. There are only 1 or 2 others.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Last night, after the update, I spent most of my time getting soundly drubbed by very custom, Rare and Legendary filled decks. I played on the "Casual" mode, not "Ranked" - and went from winning maybe half my matches the night before to winning maybe 1 in 4. It was heart-warming.

Notable custom decks:
  • Dragon Ass: Slow to start, but lays it on thick with a Planeswalker. Dragon spawns, dragon bonuses, dragon creatures, dragon everything. Ouch. I put up a good fight, but on a downhill slope. Every turn was an inch more in the grave - and the last attack he had against me was an all-out assault that left me at -19. I think this was a solid red deck.
  • Pirates of the Thinning Deck: Pirates and more pirates, exiling my cards, stealing my cards, cycling lots of cards to the graveyard, drawing lots of cards. Thankfully no big creatures. This was one I won against - but it was tight. We spent a LONG time with him at 1 life and me at 20+ ... each turn I gained life and put out a creature. Each turn he stole a creature, added one, or exiled one. We kept a perfectly balanced line from 6 on each side to 13 on each side. I couldn't attack because he could kill most of mine by blocking, and he couldn't attack because I only needed to hit him for 1 point. I ended up winning by summoning a Vampire that did 1 damage to him as it came out. Not a fitting or glorious end to such a long, skilled fight on his side. I believe this was black/blue.
  • Saproling Spawns: A potent black/green that generated a lot of Saprolings, used a lot of sacrifice, and had a few extra bonuses to make the Saprolings bulk up. I was killed by a swarm of 3/3 and 4/4 fungi.
The Lifesteal/Draw deck I've got is quite susceptible to larger creatures. If I haven't built up a solid foundation of draw/spawn/gain life/draw/spawn by the time the first 5/5 or bigger comes out, I'm pretty much done.

The game in electronic format has reminded me about a lot of rules I had forgotten and think are kind of cheese. Things like using a Planeswalker on the same turn it comes out. Like using "Sacrifice" on something that's about to die - which destroys the creature before damage is dealt, but still nullifies the attack it was blocking.

I kept finding myself really annoyed by games that inexplicably turned into "click to advance" at each step, until I realized that this was a solid indicator that either me or my opponent had an Instant that the game determined could be used at any time for any reason. I'm thankful for the opportunity to use a card or ability "Whenever" - but the constant click-click-click to advance the game was a little tedious.
LordMortis wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:04 amI sometimes open another tab and start reading stuff on the Internet and force them to win by timeout. I don't like being a griefer and yet I find myself doing it form the combo of sore losing and being impatient.
I came up against this last night. A blue/black opponent realized that he couldn't beat me with two turns to go, and spent the next 4 minutes doing absolutely nothing, forcing the timer to run out on every one of his actions. I "Good Game"'d him and spent the time reading up on what his cards in his Graveyard did, what his creatures did, etc.

I will say that I'm honestly surprised at the actual variety of viable deck options with just 1200 cards in the entire available library.
Last edited by Paingod on Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

So I finally get a handle on the merfolk decks and I haven't faced a single merdeck since the update. I did face a ton of deck full of cards I've never seen and lost a lot. I assume this water finding its new level with players who have either spent a lot or played and won a ton of cards stepping their way up.

Still, it was refreshing to get my ass handed to me by something other then merfolk.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Whatever play mode you start with, that's what I played to get my dailies last night. I was surprised to find that it takes 3 or 4 games to actually play enough cards to meet the "30 of this colour" daily.

I went up against multiple custom decks using the default green and white decks. Many had legendary cards in them. It must have been frustrating to lose to a rookie deck with a rookie player behind them. I imagine anyway.

I did lose 2 games. One to a custom deck but less "geared" than the others, and one to a fairly basic white deck with a few custom cards added. White on white I took an early lead but eventually his deck had more utility in it and he was able to come back from being down 12 to 20 with me having more critters in play at one point.

Of course I realize I got lucky with my draws and the custom decks were the opposite. But that's the nature of the game. My play was adequate, although a couple of times I realized a play that I could have and should have made 2 turns earlier. Certainly none of the wins were brilliant on my part. Even if I were a better player, the default decks are pretty straightforward with little to surprise anyone.

I can see this eating a HUGE amount of time and that has me leery. I'm not sure I could play it casually (as someone pointed out to me) and I'm not ready or willing really to get deep into another game right now.

MTG was fun in the 90's (even though I didn't get to play much, just read a lot about it and bought way too many cards considering how little I played) and it's fun now. I'm just not sure I have the time for it.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Paingod wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:18 am A blue/black opponent realized that he couldn't beat me with two turns to go, and spent the next 4 minutes doing absolutely nothing, forcing the timer to run out on every one of his actions. I "Good Game"'d him and spent the time reading up on what his cards in his Graveyard did, what his creatures did, etc.
I don't have a B/B deck so you know it wasn't me. :shifty: Though, really I only had been doing it as a form of impudent retaliation against someone with a tag above bronze 4 who seemed to be looking up their every single action from a book like money is on the line. Studying your cards on the first and second turn before playing a land sets the wrong tone for me. 7 turns in of I'm not paying attention and I'm wondering why I'm not doing something else. I think it's because I'm used to playing against a computer when I sit at my desk, maybe.

Conversely, when they 20+ critters on the battlefield, I hate hate hate how the time starts going off when very real decisions need to be made. I need to remind myself that 30 seconds is actually a very long time... But I don't remind myself of such things and move in to hurry and make grievous mistakes mode.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

One of my games my opponent was disconnected, unfortunately. Which is too bad, as he clearly had me beat. I couldn't tell if it was me or him that lost connection though, until the game gave me the win.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:02 am One of my games my opponent was disconnected, unfortunately. Which is too bad, as he clearly had me beat. I couldn't tell if it was me or him that lost connection though, until the game gave me the win.
Connection problems are a different story. I wonder about those too. As sometimes my connection is terrible and I can't figure out why which makes me assume it's them or the program or the game needs a whole lot of bandwidth (My broadband is puny by broadband standards)

I get being leery of play times. Especially in incentivized F2P environments. That's seen me walk away from game like MPQ which I didn't know how to play casually.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:45 amI went up against multiple custom decks using the default green and white decks. Many had legendary cards in them. It must have been frustrating to lose to a rookie deck with a rookie player behind them. I imagine anyway.
There is something to be said for a solid one-color deck, and those Rookie decks are built pretty well in that way.

Waaaay back in the day, like 1994, I was a Green fanatic. I had a collection of almost every green card ever made and was missing only 12 of them. I mean, I could build a deck with four Gaea's Lieges in it, and those guys were hard to come by. For some dumbass reason, I felt like the game got too commercial and quit, selling off my collection. I wish I had simply quit and kept them.

At any rate, my solid green decks would fare pretty well against most others who thought they needed finesse and multiple colors and a dozen artifacts ... until they got Trampled by a 17/25 Forest that had uprooted itself and rolled over them. :D

I miss those old battles. Things were simpler before mounds of counters, effects, kickers, backers, flippers, tokens, and whatnot. :wink:
Black Lives Matter

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Paingod wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:40 am I wish I had simply quit and kept them.
And I wish I had sold mine.

In any case, I'm a fan of Green because I'm a fan of creature damage. Green does creature damage very well.

As you are aware however, it takes a lot of green to play the big boys, even those that get cheaper as the game goes on. Getting enough green is usually not a problem, especially with creatures that produce green as well, but if it is and you can't get the big creatures out, you've got nothing else. Depending on your deck of course.

And even if you get the big tramplers out, a single card can make it useless in many different ways.

I love green, in fact. Luckily MTG is pretty well balanced if you ignore the truly outrageous and rare cards out there.

I have almost zero practical experience however. What I know is theoretical and/or based on the duels of the planeswalkers games. So not much at all, really.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I played heavily as a teenager, often in game shops with groups of people. There's something pretty damn cool and special about 8 people all sitting around a table passing turns.

I do think that the reason the game has survived ... what, 25 years? ... is because it's complex enough to remain interesting, yet approachable enough that anyone can pick it up, and is very well balanced. There's no easy "Win" in the game, but a multitude of great choices. And some not-so-great ones.

I guess that cycles back to my only real complaint in MGT: Arena is that - like Magic has ALWAYS been - it's Pay To Win. Those who can afford to purchase every card available will be able to make extremely potent combinations and decks, and those of us who don't will sometimes get lucky and beat them.

I'm having fun playing against other people. I don't suffer any delusions that I'm somehow going to be leading anything, though. I entered a competition for 500 gold yesterday and lost three rounds in a row on my way out.
Black Lives Matter

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The key is to accept that you will always be in the middle of the road, better than average due to your experience and knowledge, less than the elite because you are not willing to pay for it. Once you accept that, you can find a lot of fun playing with other like minded people, even extremely competitive fun, if that's what you're after.

A strong rank and matchmaking system needs to be in place to help with that, but even random chance can work as well, giving you more opponents that you can beat than opponents that you can't beat, on average. Assuming you are good enough to be the top of the middle, which is sounds like is probable.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Paingod wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:59 am

I guess that cycles back to my only real complaint in MGT: Arena is that - like Magic has ALWAYS been - it's Pay To Win. Those who can afford to purchase every card available will be able to make extremely potent combinations and decks, and those of us who don't will sometimes get lucky and beat them.
That's why they have the draft and sealed deck format. Both have very different deck strategies from constructed while still holding a great deal of nuance.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

What do you have to pay to get into those competitions? :P
Black Lives Matter

Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Paingod wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:54 pm What do you have to pay to get into those competitions? :P
Gold that you can gather just but doing the daily quests. :)

Setting that aside, I didn't take your statement about pay to win from that perspective.

I read what you were saying to mean that there are always people that will spend whatever it takes to get whatever cards they want or need and therefore, someone that couldn't or didn't want to spend that kind of $$ could never compete on an equal footing.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I suppose I was feeling a little butthurt after getting destroyed over and over while fielding the best deck I could construct with what I had invested my Wildcards into.

I've been sitting and thinking about what I'm using, and I've got myself at 65 cards. I should probably lean it back to 60.

I have a few cards in there that have little to do with the theme, but have a good standalone benefit. Like the Resplendent Angel (3/3 Flying, create a new 4/4 angel when I gain 5 life in one turn) which I've summoned a staggering four times and had her special ability trigger once - usually people kill her ASAP. It's cool, but it's not life gain/draw cards. I can drop March of the Multitudes (spawn X 1/1 soldiers with lifelink) which I have three dual lands to support); I've used it exactly once, to spawn in 5 soldier tokens.

I'd like to slide in The Immortal Sun - which looks like it can fit as a one-off in any deck and is a worthy use of my Legendary Rare wildcard.

:think:

What I really need is some way to draw extra cards mid-game. If I can start with enough mana, but the majority of my deck is 1 and 2 mana to cast. That means I spend some rounds sitting on an empty hand. If I can get the one Dawn of Hope (pay 2 when I gain life to draw a card, or pay 4 to spawn a soldier token) I have, that's a big deal around turn 6 or 7 when my hand is empty. I also only have two of the Inspiring Commander, which gives me 1 life and 1 card when I field something with 2 or less power; late-game, he's a monster. I summon 3 token vampires, I get three cards, which let me summon maybe 2 creatures, and draw 2 cards... :dance:
Last edited by Paingod on Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Black Lives Matter

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Paingod wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:00 pm I suppose I was feeling a little butthurt after getting destroyed over and over while fielding the best deck I could construct with what I had invested my Wildcards into.

I've been sitting and thinking about what I'm using, and I've got myself at 65 cards. I should probably lean it back to 60.

I have a few cards in there that have little to do with the theme, but have a good standalone benefit. Like the Resplendent Angel (3/3 Flying, create a new 4/4 angel when I gain 5 life in one turn) which I've summoned a staggering four times and had her special ability trigger once - usually people kill her ASAP. It's cool, but it's not life gain/draw cards. I can drop March of the Multitudes (spawn X 1/1 soldiers with lifelink) which I have three dual lands to support); I've used it exactly once, to spawn in 5 soldier tokens.

I'd like to slide in The Immortal Sun - which looks like it can fit as a one-off in any deck and is a worthy use of my Legendary Rare wildcard.

:think:
yeah - 40-60 cards is generally best.

As to pay to win. It's why I've favored sealed deck games for awhile (in real life). I'd guess the drafts are similar, but I've never played one.

FWIW, I haven't used any of my wild cards yet.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:03 pm40-60 cards is generally best.
Does it let you go below 60? Each time I was making or modifying my deck, it was always showing like 38/60 or 45/60 and only once I got over 60 did it start saying 65/65 - so I assumed 60 was the minimum.
Pyperkub wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:03 pmAs to pay to win. It's why I've favored sealed deck games for awhile (in real life).
This is why I keep the decks I've purchased intact and with only tiny variations added for flavor. Nothing overpowering. Some are better than others, but they're all pretty stock standard. If I ever played in a friendly, competitive group I'd probably struggle to field a good deck there since I wouldn't want to rip up the decks I use with my family.
Black Lives Matter

Stuie

Post by Stuie »

60 cards is the minimum for constructed. 40 for limited (draft and sealed).