Donald Trump's Cabinet picks

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Re: Donald Trump's Cabinet picks

Post by $iljanus »

GreenGoo wrote:
tjg_marantz wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:33 am But who'll fix the middle East then? Or is this just in addition?
Good point. Wasn't Jared put in charge of like, everything when drumpf first came to office? Something huge anyway. Maybe "make federal government work right" or something like that. Something absurdly huge. Perhaps he can do all that and be Chief of Staff.
Jared is the head of the White House Office of American Innovation which was created in 2017 and from the Wikipedia description sounds totally like a position that an owner of a company would make up for their children.

Jared isn't drawing a paycheck but at his economic level, acce$$ is more lucrative than a paltry government paycheck.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

That sounds huge, but I don't think that is what I'm remembering.

In any case, yeah, I doubt Jared, as smart as he appears to be, has innovated anything except new ways to extract money from his targets.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

tjg_marantz wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:33 am But who'll fix the middle then? Or is this just in addition?
FTFY
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:07 pm I'm sure he wouldn't stoop to using a site less prestigious than The Ladders.
Wow. I'm a current subscriber and have been off and on for several years. If they lose or settle in the class action, hopefully a Ladders-sized check will be headed my way!
Isgrimnur

Donald Trump's Cabinet picks

Post by Isgrimnur »

Who knew that carpet-pissng was such a lucrative field?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:18 pm Who knew that carpet-pissng was such a lucrative field?
Are you implying that that's NOT common knowledge? Madness.

It's so niche that I have little to no competition.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

GreenGoo wrote:That sounds huge, but I don't think that is what I'm remembering.

In any case, yeah, I doubt Jared, as smart as he appears to be, has innovated anything except new ways to extract money from his targets.
Oh he's also "Senior Advisor to the President" which is a real position. I guess if Jared was Chief of Staff, Trump can say he's not anti semitic the next time he runs his mouth. The alt right can come up with all sorts of rationalizations that I don't feel like typing here.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:27 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:18 pm Who knew that carpet-pissng was such a lucrative field?
Are you implying that that's NOT common knowledge? Madness.

It's so niche that I have little to no competition.
Outside of Russia anyway... or is that just for beds?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Chris Christie is the latest to say "thanks, but no thanks" to the COS job
Former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) declined the White House chief of staff role on Friday, making him the latest high-profile candidate who's no longer in the running for the influential post.

Christie and President Trump reportedly met Thursday evening to discuss the role of replacing John Kelly, who will be departing as chief of staff by the end of the year.

“It’s an honor to have the President consider me as he looks to choose a new White House chief-of-staff,” Christie wrote in a statement shared by Maggie Haberman of the New York Times on Friday. “However, I’ve told the President that now is not the right time for me or my family to undertake this serious assignment. As a result, I have asked not to be considered for this post.”

The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:03 pm Christie and President Trump reportedly met Thursday evening to discuss the role of replacing John Kelly, who will be departing as chief of staff by the end of the year.

“However, I’ve told the President that now is not the right time for me or my family to undertake this serious assignment. As a result, I have asked not to be considered for this post.”
When even your most loyal, boot licking toadies abandon you, it's all over but the funeral.

Next up, it's not the right time for Cruz or his family to undertake this serious assignment.

Drumpf wants to be Putin but he has no idea how to do it. He's been stepping on people his whole life and he won't understand what went wrong even on his death bed.

You could have lived out your life of luxury, power and respect, with no one looking any closer at your affairs, but instead you had the gall to aspire to the greatest office in the land, but once you arrived there, the office found you wanting.

Poetic that getting what he most desired will be the end of him. He'll be lucky if it's not the end (of grift, wealth, privilege, power) for his children too.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

It's weird to me that Christie would turn it down. It seems to me that he's irredeemably burned his non-Trump political career to the ground, so he might as well ride the Trump Train for as long as he can. Maybe he figures that he'd become Trump's enemy more quickly if he took the position than if he continues to be Trump's unofficial spokesperson?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Or that anyone who gets too closely involved is going to find people digging in their closets... and he's worried that there are too many things in his closet that haven't yet been discovered. That's the only thing that makes sense to me.

Though that shows evidence of a surprising degree of self-awareness. So... I have no idea.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Problem solved.

The best people.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:23 pm It's weird to me that Christie would turn it down. It seems to me that he's irredeemably burned his non-Trump political career to the ground, so he might as well ride the Trump Train for as long as he can.
I sort of agree, and that doesn't bode well for Drumpf.

On the other hand Drumpf likes to step on his toadies in public, and it's only a matter of time before one of the toadies takes great joy in stepping on him. Or in this case, refuse to take his hand while he's grasping for help.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

TheMix wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:29 pm Or that anyone who gets too closely involved is going to find people digging in their closets... and he's worried that there are too many things in his closet that haven't yet been discovered. That's the only thing that makes sense to me.

Though that shows evidence of a surprising degree of self-awareness. So... I have no idea.
Could be. I was thinking that anyone who joined the party this late in the game would be an unlikely suspect, but perhaps not.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:23 pm It's weird to me that Christie would turn it down. It seems to me that he's irredeemably burned his non-Trump political career to the ground, so he might as well ride the Trump Train for as long as he can. Maybe he figures that he'd become Trump's enemy more quickly if he took the position than if he continues to be Trump's unofficial spokesperson?
I'm of two minds. One is exactly as yours. He's already bent a knee. Who else will accept him in the power scheme after he's pledged himself to Trump?

But if the writing is on the wall, it's one thing to have been burned, a member of group decaying in Trump's orbit from 2015 to 2018. It could be quite another to be in his orbit from 2015 until the ???? Example it could suck to have ruined your potential from these last few years. It could suck worse to invite people to look in to your ongoing relationship with Donald and then find it's pointing to your tile Oligarchs or Taxi Medallions or...
malchior

Post by malchior »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:23 pm It's weird to me that Christie would turn it down. It seems to me that he's irredeemably burned his non-Trump political career to the ground, so he might as well ride the Trump Train for as long as he can. Maybe he figures that he'd become Trump's enemy more quickly if he took the position than if he continues to be Trump's unofficial spokesperson?
It isn't weird to me - Christie's political career might be over but he probably makes a ton more money outside government. Who is going to take a huge pay cut to essentially be beaten to a pulp babysitting and running a campaign for this fucking moron? Plus, maybe you'll get tangled up in the obvious criminality there.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

This is all going to end up being a new season of The Apprentice, isn't it?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

GungHo wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:43 pm

Problem solved.

The best people.
Side note: Canseco's Twitter feed is really fucking bizarre.

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Trump's CoS pick: Mulva!
Mick Mulvaney, the director of the Office of Management and Budget, will become the acting White House chief of staff replacing John Kelly, President Donald Trump announced on Friday.
"I look forward to working with him in this new capacity as we continue to MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! John will be staying until the end of the year. He is a GREAT PATRIOT and I want to personally thank him for his service!" Trump tweeted.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

"Acting?" It's not like the position requires senate approval.

Yeah, it's The Apprentice. Mulvaney has four to six weeks to prove he can fluff Trump like none of his predecessors.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Zinke out at Interior, effective at the end of the year.
Hodor.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

pr0ner wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:46 am Zinke out at Interior, effective at the end of the year.
While this would typically be a huge relief (Zinke was a particularly awful asshole), I’m sure they’ll just replace him with someone equally as horrible.

“I’m proud to introduce Secretary Palin.”
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm pretty sure Ivanka and Jared will be taking over most roles in the white house in the very near future.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:59 am “I’m proud to introduce Secretary Ted Nugent.”
Fixed that for you
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

Don't you mean Acting White House Chief of Staff, Acting Secretary of the Interior, Acting Director of the OMB, and Acting Director of the CFPB Mulvaney?
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote:
Skinypupy wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:59 am “I’m proud to introduce Secretary Ted Nugent.”
Fixed that for you
That's hysterical, and in these times maybe even a little true!
Black lives matter!

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Apparently the "acting" is at Mulvaney's request, to give him an exit strategy in case he decides to bail.

How true that is I don't know.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

It makes sense. CoS is a high-burnout, doomed-to-fail job. Obama went through five in his eight years...you can imagine how much harder it is working for a madman. This fellow at least seems to realize that he will need to bail as soon as it becomes more of a liability than an asset to his resume and/or bank account. Assuming, of course, that any association with Trump can prove to be an asset in the long run.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Kraken wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:18 pm It makes sense. CoS is a high-burnout, doomed-to-fail job. Obama went through five in his eight years...you can imagine how much harder it is working for a madman. This fellow at least seems to realize that he will need to bail as soon as it becomes more of a liability than an asset to his resume and/or bank account. Assuming, of course, that any association with Trump can prove to be an asset in the long run.
Yeah, I can see that, what I'm not sure about is what makes "acting" an easier exit strategy than simply leaving due to "wanting to spend more time with my family" etc?
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I saw a report that Trump was getting pissed that everyone was turning him down and Mulvaney just happened to be at the White House for a separate meeting. The most convenient choice is always the best choice.
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:00 pm I saw a report that Trump was getting pissed that everyone was turning him down and Mulvaney just happened to be at the White House for a separate meeting. The most convenient choice is always the best choice.
Honestly the sooner he could stop the "No one wants to do the job" headlines the better for him. With someone named it buys him time to actually find someone he wants, if he decides to do so, without the daily criticisms splashed across hundreds of media sources.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

GreenGoo wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:23 pm
Kraken wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:18 pm It makes sense. CoS is a high-burnout, doomed-to-fail job. Obama went through five in his eight years...you can imagine how much harder it is working for a madman. This fellow at least seems to realize that he will need to bail as soon as it becomes more of a liability than an asset to his resume and/or bank account. Assuming, of course, that any association with Trump can prove to be an asset in the long run.
Yeah, I can see that, what I'm not sure about is what makes "acting" an easier exit strategy than simply leaving due to "wanting to spend more time with my family" etc?
I think the term 'acting' tells us all that we will at some point hear about 'the real' appointment. And it seems to imply it's not him. So, yeah, I think this guy was asked if he would be at least willing to hold the position while they find someone who's really willing to take the job... and this guy said 'OK, if it's temporary, I'll do it.' I don't think the title is to help him leave, it's to help the whitehouse when he leaves (this one doesn't count as Yet Another CoS, cause that other guy was just a substitute teacher...)
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I hear the ficus has been pining to leave and is making up the plan to branch out into arboretum work.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Mattis is out.

Hold on to your butts.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Skinypupy wrote:Mattis is out.

Hold on to your butts.
And the last of the adults have left the building...
Black lives matter!

Holman

Post by Holman »

General Jim Mattis will be retiring, with distinction, at the end of February, after having served my Administration as Secretary of Defense for the past two years. During Jim’s tenure, tremendous progress has been made, especially with respect to the purchase of new fighting....
"retiring, with distinction"

I'm willing to bet that Mattis' departure isn't as smooth and orderly as this makes it sound. He has pushed back against every one of Trump's military decisions.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
malchior

Post by malchior »

You are correct. He resigned. Pretty obvious to link it to the Syria decision. I can't blame the man. That said I look forward to our stolid defense being led by Interim Secretary of Defense Mulvaney.

malchior

Post by malchior »

Also rumors are spreading we will summarily pull out of Afghanistan as well. Without a plan. This is pure insanity.