Re: Random randomness

Post by GreenGoo »

Dude. We read everything you write.

Consider what that means.

That is all I'm gonna say.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Not all of us read everything he writes.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

What high priced game have I bought? Tell me. Id love to play it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:46 pm "Stupid" is generally restricted among the super young in the interest of teaching kids to be nice and to not call each other stupid. Whenever I say something is stupid, one of the twins is certain to tell me that that is not a very nice word. I'm not at all sure what Moat_Man was getting at in his post, as any relevance to the discussion that Z-Corn and I were having (which relates back to another post in R&P about various "letter words" that really should be left in the dust bin as they are extremely hurtful to people) is lost on me.
Admittedly, I was hoping everyone would crawl inside my head to understand what I was getting at. Mostly my statmement was in jest but my main point was the absurdity of labelling people and how a group of people can take a label, a commonly used word, or even gesture, and inside a generation make it sociatally unpalatable.

Regarding stupid, like others, my kids knew it as the S-word in school and learned you shouldn't say to someone they are stupid. I agree with that for children. However, actions people take or the actions of groups are fair game. And frankly as I get older and see incredibily horrific driving everywhere I go it gets more and more difficult to not think there that a ton of people out there make a lot of stupid decisions. Some people have their happy place. Behind the wheel is my angry place.

Can I get random within my own post? Is that legal?
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:01 am What high priced game have I bought? Tell me. Id love to play it.
Nobody except your modem knows your game purchasing. I think his point was your pendulum swings wildly between difficulty of affording Life Essentials and your pursuit of PC gaming purchases, be they software or hardware.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

and now i have found the ideal first phone i should get for my son. i forgot that the Nokia brand is still walking (tho in an undead shamble).
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:37 pm Dude. We read everything you write.

Consider what that means.

That is all I'm gonna say.
Yup, and some of us are dot-connectors.

morlac

Post by morlac »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:49 pm
Daehawk wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:42 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:21 pm Twigby offers 300 min for $9 a month.
Ill look and see if they roll over and if you're forced into the $9 a month or can buy only when you want.
Nope. If they (or any company) used that business plan, many people would pay one time, stick the phone in a drawer and only 'refill' it once every year or two, and the company would go bankrupt in a year. They can't make phones for $9 every two years.
Longest I've seen is 90 days for X block of minutes.
morlac

Post by morlac »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:14 pm
coopasonic wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:22 pm That's stupid... but we do tell our kids it's not a word we use.
Ditto. My kids are not allowed to belittle each other's intelligence. My wife on the other hand seems to feel it's completely acceptable for her to do it.

So there's that.
Yep stupid = Baby's first Cuss Word.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My better half has been sick 2 weeks plus now. Its VERY weird to have to drive without her or leave her in the car when I go to the doc or store. We are joined at the hip and its been a nerve wracking hell these past weeks. Im still having to hold her as she walks and stuff. Everyone asks where she is. My brain is at home or in the car.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The real reason the Titanic was found....it involved the military of course.

https://www.foxnews.com/science/bombshe ... y-revealed
Incredibly, the discovery of the doomed ship began as a top secret mission to trick the then Soviet Union into believing US military were hunting sunken liner while they were also looking for two missing nuclear submarines, an explorer claimed.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

CPAP ahoy.

whoohoo...?
Brian

Post by Brian »

A Chinese man has survived after being impaled by 10 large metal spikes in the arm and chest after a robotic arm fell onto him during a work accident.
Spoiled for the squeamish.
Spoiler:
Each of the sharp steel bars measured 30 centimetres (one foot) in length and 1.5 centimetres (0.59 inches) in diameter, according to a Chinese hospital which treated the factory worker.
Spoiled for the squeamish.
Spoiler:
Surgeons have removed all of the spikes from the 49-year-old patient's body through emergency surgery. One of the pins was just 0.1 centimetres (0.04 inches) from a major nervous system.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Next time you feel like calling Spikey a "bucket of bolts," you should remember that all robotic AIs MUST have a "kill all humans" subroutine or it's not an AI at all. And AIs are touchy about things like that.
Black Lives Matter
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

I wonder what kind of products they make in the "Fuch No" plant.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Destroy all humans!!!! >.uhhh I mean Ju can you help me here a second..thanks"
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:42 pm Next time you feel like calling Spikey a "bucket of bolts," you should remember that all robotic AIs MUST have a "kill all humans" subroutine or it's not an AI at all. And AIs are touchy about things like that.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Got up and sat down in my chair here at the PC and my back slipped completely out. I cant move to stand up. Good thing I got a Coke and went to the bathroom before I sat down. PAIN> Took double my pain meds.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

And yet you received all sorts of good advice that you disregarded concerning this very thing.

Do you need someone to call 911 for you? I'm somewhat, but not entirely, serious.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Half of the control panel on my LG electric oven has stopped working. These control the oven but not the stovetop (ie. the stovetop works). Cleaning the contacts did not work. A service call is somewhere in the range of $250 bucks. This Christmas was already more lean than any other since the kids were born, since we have yet to recover from the lawsuit. We have exactly zero emergency money. Of course I tried to use it as a learning moment as to why having an emergency fund for a rainy day is important. While should didn't lose her shit which would be the normal response, I can tell it didn't sink in either.

We're faced with either no working oven over Christmas. That's not the end of the world as we don't always have a turkey and most of what we do is stove top, it's still a problem. Or we can go into debt to get the oven working.

Less than a year ago I could have given 200 bucks to a street person without blinking, now I'm sweating over 200-300 bucks. We're gonna recover, and going into debt for this isn't the end of the world, but it's not a relaxed, happy Christmas in the Goo house. The kids in particular are having difficulty hearing no when it comes to their Christmas lists. Now that's on me and my wife for not teaching them to appreciate what they have or what they receive. There has never been a Christmas where they mentioned wanting something and didn't get it. That's on us as parents. So we have to be patient as we deal with their avarice and displays of disappointment. At the same time, I want them to spend a month in a less well to do household so that they can be exposed to what someone even a little less lucky than us experiences regularly.

My kids are good kids. They aren't Cartman, even if it feels like it sometimes. It's a new reality at least for this Christmas and new realities are hard to adjust to for anyone. It still sucks.

I'm not going to go into the guilt I feel at setting them up for this for over a decade and then knocking them down. I hope this makes them better people, if nothing else.

Also, fuck LG for making everything a pain in the ass to access on the stove. If I was confident it was the circuit board I would consider ordering the part and replacing it myself, but I don't actually know what the problem is, and the back of the oven is a maze of wires, difficult to remove panels, screws, overlapping plastic parts and sharp edges.

Grrr.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

GreenGoo wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:43 pm And yet you received all sorts of good advice that you disregarded concerning this very thing.

Do you need someone to call 911 for you? I'm somewhat, but not entirely, serious.
I got to the couch and stretched out. I can get up if I go SLOW and hold onto the chest of drawers and slowly straighten up. Hurts like hell to walk so not done much of that today. This is my life. Nothing new. Its why Im on meds and disability and get the closer parking spots.

As for the oven I get that. Ive had a heater in my floor for 2 years I couldn't stand to throw away. Took it in a year or so ago and they said it would cost me more than buying a new one. But I kept it. The other day I was bored and took it apart. Switch fell apart onto the floor. Ordered one off ebay for $3 or so and put it together and tada it works.

Ive been in your same spot. One year have money where tipping is a breeze or buying something I kinda need to another year where I cant buy what I actually do need and go without food for days at the end of the months.

But we will pay off our bankruptcy in a year or so and Im very proud of that. We didn't take the easy road of just forgetting all our bills.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I appreciate the empathy. I also understand that my problems are tiny compared to many.

I'm glad you were able to move eventually and I hope your meds do their job.

I'm just venting. Plus pulling the oven apart was way more difficult than it needed to be. I don't think I'll ever stop being angry that modern design is to discourage home repair. Whether it's a headlight on your car, a fuse in your oven or bizarrely unique screw who's fastening capabilities are the same as a run of the mill screw, but needs to be special ordered.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

GreenGoo wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:19 pm Half of the control panel on my LG electric oven has stopped working. These control the oven but not the stovetop (ie. the stovetop works). Cleaning the contacts did not work. A service call is somewhere in the range of $250 bucks.
Our oven stopped working in November. It was here when we bought the house in 2004 and we've been wanting a new one for awhile so - shopping time!

That's when we found out we have a 27" drop-in oven. There is exactly one 27" drop-in oven on the market, a GE model for $1400.

:doh:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Exodor wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:40 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:19 pm Half of the control panel on my LG electric oven has stopped working. These control the oven but not the stovetop (ie. the stovetop works). Cleaning the contacts did not work. A service call is somewhere in the range of $250 bucks.
Our oven stopped working in November. It was here when we bought the house in 2004 and we've been wanting a new one for awhile so - shopping time!

That's when we found out we have a 27" drop-in oven. There is exactly one 27" drop-in oven on the market, a GE model for $1400.

:doh:
Yeah, we had to find a new place for our refrigerator because the one my wife bought wouldn't fit where the original was. I think I mentioned it before, but the hinges are on the wrong side for it's location now too, although I believe someone mentioned that the hinges can be moved. I started to look into it but was distracted by something else. Possibly a video game.

We're just lucky we had room for the frig rather than having to tear down cabinets to make it work. I don't envy you.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

GreenGoo wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:42 pm We're just lucky we had room for the frig rather than having to tear down cabinets to make it work. I don't envy you.
We're buying the GE - it's a lot less than remodeling the kitchen.

We've gotten a lot of mileage out of the convection oven. It's amazing how much you can cook in there and it's why we've gone a month without replacing the oven.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Exodor wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:50 pm We're buying the GE - it's a lot less than remodeling the kitchen.

We've gotten a lot of mileage out of the convection oven. It's amazing how much you can cook in there and it's why we've gone a month without replacing the oven.
Heh. Yeah.

We are unreasonably short on cabinet and counter space. About 1/2 the kitchen is filled with a breakfast table that we never use and the frig jammed into the corner. We have no place for any more toasters/microwaves/convection ovens/whatever without some renovations to utilize unused space.

Our kitchen really is a mess of inefficient space usage. 1/2 of it is wasted space right now. 2 walls are completely devoid of cabinets or counters, for example. one of the walls is this giant, blank canvas. It's kind of ridiculous.

I hope the GE works for you. Having few options can suck, depending on what those options are.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I'm actually still working on the oven. I'm just taking the occasional break to vent my spleen. I don't come by handiness naturally. Well that's not completely true. My dad was awesome and some of it rubbed off on me, but it's not in my nature. I don't like doing it and I don't want to do it, but home maintenance is part of owning a home, so here we are. I can typically get it done when I decide to actually do it.

The symptoms really matched up with a dirty contacts diagnosis, and lots of people had success just cleaning them. I'm not one of them apparently. :evil: I'm out of ideas, but I'll keep researching to see if I missed anything.

I realize this is not particularly interesting to anyone. Just venting, as I said.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Speaking of ovens...

We are babysitting the neighbor's kids tonight, so I have a total of 6 kids (all under 10) charging around my house. We've got them from 4-8, so at 5, Mrs. Skinypupy heats up the oven to put in the Papa Murphy pizzas. She heats it to 425, puts the pizzas in, sets a timer for 20 minutes, and sits down to do some work on the computer. Kids are getting super cranky because they're all hungry, and all run to the table and cheer when the timer goes off.

Turns out, she somehow turned the oven off in the process of setting the timer. So the pizzas had been sitting for 20 minutes in an oven that had been slowly cooling down from 425 degrees. They came out with all the cheese melted, but the crust still complete dough.

Thank god there's a Little Caesars close by. I was afraid the kids were all going to turn on us when we pulled the uncooked pizzas out of the oven. :doh:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Speaking of non repair how about non maintenance?

So cars today dont come with dipstick for the oil. Others dont come with a drain plug for the radiator. Still others come with 'lifetime' coolant you aren't supposed to change. But if you dont then you'll pay out the ass for repairs. Its nuts just how much fail is built into items these days.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:17 pm Speaking of ovens...

We are babysitting the neighbor's kids tonight, so I have a total of 6 kids (all under 10) charging around my house. We've got them from 4-8, so at 5, Mrs. Skinypupy heats up the oven to put in the Papa Murphy pizzas. She heats it to 425, puts the pizzas in, sets a timer for 20 minutes, and sits down to do some work on the computer. Kids are getting super cranky because they're all hungry, and all run to the table and cheer when the timer goes off.

Turns out, she somehow turned the oven off in the process of setting the timer. So the pizzas had been sitting for 20 minutes in an oven that had been slowly cooling down from 425 degrees. They came out with all the cheese melted, but the crust still complete dough.

Thank god there's a Little Caesars close by. I was afraid the kids were all going to turn on us when we pulled the uncooked pizzas out of the oven. :doh:
I was getting a strong "Hansel & Gretle" vibe as I first started reading this.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

GreenGoo wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:19 pm Also, fuck LG for making everything a pain in the ass to access on the stove. If I was confident it was the circuit board I would consider ordering the part and replacing it myself, but I don't actually know what the problem is, and the back of the oven is a maze of wires, difficult to remove panels, screws, overlapping plastic parts and sharp edges.
Our oven died when I turned it on to bake my annual meatloaf and scalloped potatoes last xmas. I decided it was the igniter, because it's always the igniter. Priced them online, watched a couple of videos, reluctantly decided that it was just a little beyond my rudimentary skills and primitive tools, and called a repairman, who miraculously came on short notice during the holiday weekend. It turned out not to be the igniter, as it almost always is, but rather a control module doohickey that would cost upwards of $200, or half the cost of a new range.

So I shopped ranges and found that (a) very few companies still make the little apartment-sized mini-ranges that will fit in our kitchen; and (b) they would not install one because neither the gas nor electrical hookups are up to code (I hacked the current one in myself, and that's another experience I didn't want to repeat). So we paid for the repair. My dinner spent a week in the fridge waiting for the part to arrive, and xmas was ruined. Nearly everything I make during the winter uses the oven.

Moral of the story is: hire a repairman. If I'd tried to do it myself I would have wasted money on an igniter, wasted time trying to replace it, might very well have broken something else, still would not have had a working oven, and would have ended up calling the repairman anyway.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Kraken wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:41 pm cost upwards of $200, or half the cost of a new range.
:shock: :x :cry: :grund:

Maybe we should try getting it repaired before we drop $1400 on a replacement.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

There were a couple of things to look at that were very easy to deal with if it turned out to be the problem. They weren't, so now it's a service call for an out of warranty oven.

Not sure what our oven cost but I can be fairly confident it wasn't $400.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think our 'new' oven was used when we got it. Saved money . Years ago. Now days Id have to use a camp fire if something happened.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Exodor wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:13 am
Kraken wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:41 pm cost upwards of $200, or half the cost of a new range.
:shock: :x :cry: :grund:

Maybe we should try getting it repaired before we drop $1400 on a replacement.
Heh. A few years back we had to replace the 65-year-old range in our 70-year-old kitchen. We had some trouble finding one small enough to fit its space, but those that do are cheap. Pretty sure I spent under $500 for this one.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

FWIW, there is a white refurb version of that 27 inch drop in range for less than $700 at Sears. The problem is shipping.

https://www.searsoutlet.com/br/pdp/ge-a ... ZgQAvD_BwE
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Been gone 6 hours to the hospital emergency room. Wife has a blood clot in her leg. Its swelled up. They didn't seem super concerned or in a big hurry. Finally gave her some blood thinner...Eliquis. And sent her home with a script for it. Said she'd be on it a few months and it would take that long to absorb the clot. They didn't seem to think it would move but told her the symptoms if it moves to a lung. Bout it. Im scared to death but they were like nothing big meh. So dont know.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Freyland wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:53 pm I wonder what kind of products they make in the "Fuch No" plant.
Maybe acupuncture needles? :D
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Enlarge Image

I have a giant pillow under my wifes legs so they are elevated....here is our little dog being her nurse and laying on it with her..he wont leave her side
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My wife has been VERY sick for the last few weeks. Now she has a blood clot in her leg that could kill her at any time. They started her on some strong blood thinner which ..yup...could kill her.

I now have to go places on my own to get food and medicine and stuff and its WEIRD. She has been at my side for 31 years. Always. I hate this.

I got a few things at the store and hit up Captain Ds to get her her favorite fish plate hoping she can eat a little and not throw it up. Want to give out some praise / light? to Captain Ds and the girl working there. She saw I could only afford the wife's food and not me so when she handed me the bag she leaned over with her hand to her hushed mouth and told me she gave me a box of the cracklings. I smiled and thanked her as it was nice of her and something she didn't have to do. I didn't have the heart to tell her I cant chew anything crunchy :) But it was nice of her and I wouldn't ruin it for her.