The Trump Investigation(s) Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Holman

Re: The Trump Investigation(s) Thread

Post by Holman »

Grifman wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:01 pm Note - subject title has been updated to reflect the multiple investigations facing the president. Sorry it took so long :)
:lol:

As for the Trump Foundation garage sale, I'm willing to bet that John Oliver winds up with at least one of those paintings.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Grifman wrote:Note - subject title has been updated to reflect the multiple investigations facing the president. Sorry it took so long :)
Fair and balanced.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Max Peck

Re: The Trump Investigation Thread

Post by Max Peck »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:55 pm As always Popehat's twitter feed is invaluable in terms of providing context.
For those that dislike unwinding Twitter threads, he also has an article in The Atlantic.

Note to Michael Flynn: Federal Court Is Not Twitter
For a year online conspiracy theorists and marginal publications have argued that Sullivan would dismiss the case because the government failed to turn over exculpatory material, or because his interview was conducted incorrectly. Since Flynn filed his sentencing brief, more mainstream outlets – including Fox News and the Wall Street Journal’s editorial page – have taken up the cause, proclaiming that the FBI broke the law in its interview. Those arguments are, and have always been, errant nonsense, as any legal professional should know. Could it be that Flynn and his lawyers included the disastrous Flynn-as-victim pitch in their brief because they came to accept the partisan din – because they forgot that federal judges don’t react like people on Twitter? That would be a very 2018 way to go to federal prison.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Mr.Fed has said in the past that judges will often push hard in one direction in anticipation of actually going in the other. I don't recall his reasoning, but it might have to do with giving the appearance of a balanced approach, as well as being able to point out how close they were to actually ruling the opposite so they clearly weighed all evidence, fair and balanced something something.

I'm not explaining the concept clearly. The point is that Mr.Fed has said that when a judge blusters in a certain direction it is often followed by a ruling in the other. I have no idea if that's true or not. I know that I don't like the idea in this case, that's for sure.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:45 pm Mr.Fed has said in the past that judges will often push hard in one direction in anticipation of actually going in the other. I don't recall his reasoning, but it might have to do with giving the appearance of a balanced approach, as well as being able to point out how close they were to actually ruling the opposite so they clearly weighed all evidence, fair and balanced something something.

I'm not explaining the concept clearly. The point is that Mr.Fed has said that when a judge blusters in a certain direction it is often followed by a ruling in the other. I have no idea if that's true or not. I know that I don't like the idea in this case, that's for sure.
During the sentencing hearing, Mr. Fed / Popehat was speculating on Twitter that the judge might be venting his frustrations before ultimately agreeing with Mueller that Flynn should get no jail time. By the end, though, it was pretty clear that the judge was not playing. It's possible that Flynn may still wind up not getting jail time, depending in part on his ongoing cooperation, but it seems pretty clear that Judge Sullivan is *willing* to put Flynn in jail.
Black Lives Matter.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Trump had a bit of a meltdown about the Trump Foundation today. Features all the greatest hits - giving someone multiple nicknames, "what about Clinton!", I'm not a crook!

Hodor.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

You can't politic agin me!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Is it possible that his lovers can't see the ignorant hypocrisy and gaslighting just bursting from even these briefest of rants?

1) He was elected on the lockherup chants related to what? The Clinton Foundation?
2) He's made a career out of lawsuits before making his current career out of the Get Clinton agenda
3) Sleazebag...
4) woman abuse
5) Shady people who refuse to look at their own
6) Little but Rant and Rave and Politic
7) Double standard of "justice"

If this were a fiction I'd be somewhere between impressively well crafted and "Jesus, hit me over the head the message much?" Seven hits in four sentences. Damn.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

We knew he was using the foundation as his own personal piggy bank long before this. Then he became president.

He has only himself to blame.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Everything he does is for his own personal benefit. Everything. I hope buying the presidency gets him and family members put in prison for something...anything.
Last edited by Daehawk on Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

He didn't buy the presidency.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:47 am He didn't buy the presidency.
Putin bought the presidency. Who said that?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:02 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:47 am He didn't buy the presidency.
Putin bought the presidency. Who said that?
If those Russian trolls had been American, there would be no investigation. It's not like trolls are worth much anyway. Buying implies 2 things. A lot of money and/or someone to buy it from.

4chan could decide who will be the next president of the USoA.

There's a lot of talk of collusion, and it's appropriate, but it wasn't anything extraordinary in terms of effort or cost. A decent PAC could have done the same thing. That doesn't touch on the hacking, but that was a bit part in the entire scheme imo.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

My attorney should know better than to let me sign a letter of intent that I didn't sign with people I've never talked to for which I never lied under oath about not having deals with when I said I had not business dealings with Russia after I said I have very big dealing with top Russian Government officials and top Russian Oligarch but I couldn't say who but it was big. That's why I pay them. I mean really, why aren't we investigating the Clinton Foundation? Witch hunt. No Collusion.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... oscow.html

Presidential norms and ethics, meh. Clinton! Lazy Mexican leech theives! Terrorists from Allah!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I would love to see every Trump except Barron locked up over their dealings. And that includes Melania (but not the pool boy...he's innocent in all this).
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The consensus from British people on reddit is that the Daily Mail is one step away from reading the Enquirer.

CNN
A newly obtained document shows President Donald Trump signed a letter of intent to move forward with negotiations to build a Trump Tower in Russia, despite his attorney Rudy Giuliani claiming on Sunday the document was never signed.

CNN's Chris Cuomo obtained a copy of the signed letter of intent that set the stage for negotiations for Trump condominiums, a hotel and commercial property in the heart of Moscow. The letter is dated October 28, 2015, and bears the President's signature.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:49 pm My attorney should know better than to let me sign a letter of intent that I didn't sign with people I've never talked to for which I never lied under oath about not having deals with when I said I had not business dealings with Russia after I said I have very big dealing with top Russian Government officials and top Russian Oligarch but I couldn't say who but it was big. That's why I pay them. I mean really, why aren't we investigating the Clinton Foundation? Witch hunt. No Collusion.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... oscow.html

Presidential norms and ethics, meh. Clinton! Lazy Mexican leech theives! Terrorists from Allah!
You forgot: "But, even if, I did, it's not, a CRIME!"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

FAKE NEWS!....Look an illegal!!!! *stumbles away*
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sepiche wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:11 pm You forgot: "But, even if, I did, it's not, a CRIME!"

Dammit, Too much aderol. It should have been in there. I've said it was in there in the past. People are telling me they knew what I meant.
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:59 pm The consensus from British people on reddit is that the Daily Mail is one step away from reading the Enquirer.

CNN
A newly obtained document shows President Donald Trump signed a letter of intent to move forward with negotiations to build a Trump Tower in Russia, despite his attorney Rudy Giuliani claiming on Sunday the document was never signed.

CNN's Chris Cuomo obtained a copy of the signed letter of intent that set the stage for negotiations for Trump condominiums, a hotel and commercial property in the heart of Moscow. The letter is dated October 28, 2015, and bears the President's signature.
Yeah, I'm not fan of the source, but it did quote direct sources and show a picture. I didn't want to source CNN because I don't want to give them revenue or encourage their guerilla tactics when it comes to interacting with my browser.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I went there as your link suggested they were the original source, and I have similar feelings about DM.

It's all good.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Interesting piece on WaPo recounting the author's interview with Robert Mueller in the days after the election, but months before he was named Special Council: https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/ ... 88d8645340
The invitation to interview him about national security before an international conference audience came on short notice. The setting was a gilded hall of the palatial National Museum of Art in the historic heart of Mexico City. Mueller was dressed, as always, as if it were 1956, Eisenhower in the White House, Sinatra on the radio. He was relaxed, courtly, charming.

I was reeling over the reality that Donald Trump was going to be president — and the slowly dawning realization that the Russians had wanted him in the White House. I hoped that Mueller, three years out of office as FBI director, might have some thoughts on this politically charged counterintelligence case. Six months to the day after we met, he was appointed special counsel.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

hepcat wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:59 pm I would love to see every Trump except Barron locked up over their dealings. And that includes Melania (but not the pool boy...he's innocent in all this).
What did Tiffany ever do to anyone?

Or did you just pull a classic Trump move and completely forget that she's his daughter? :coffee:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:33 pm
hepcat wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:59 pm I would love to see every Trump except Barron locked up over their dealings. And that includes Melania (but not the pool boy...he's innocent in all this).

Or did you just pull a classic Trump move and completely forget that she's his daughter? :coffee:
Be nice. She's not in the everyday optics so she is easy to forget. To her benefit, I suspect.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Biyobi

Re: The Trump Investigation Thread

Post by Biyobi »

GungHo wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:18 pm

This is so totally crazy I'm really not sure what to say about it. My 8yo wouldn't even say something this illogical.

And the beauty part is that today Flynn just shot all of that innanity down by saying 'uhh, yeah actually I knew I was lying and I knew lying to the FBI was bad, mmkay?'
The judge was fucking brilliant here. He clearly doesn’t like the fact that Flynn is getting this deal considering how dirty he’s been. By carrying on in a heavy handed manner and bringing up treason, Flynn’s lawyers think a hard sentence is coming and have no choice but to accept guilt. By giving the defense a delayed sentencing, Flynn tries to find other ways to cooperate. In the meantime, the judge has nailed Flynn’s Fox News-loving dick to the floor. If any conspiratorial bullshit related to his charges comes out of Flynn’s mouth, the judge will impose the sentence he wants rather than the recommend. Every time he gets interviewed, he has to say “Yup, I did it” or his sweetheart deal goes away.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:33 pm

I see her more like Mowgli in the Jungle Book...if Shere Khan had raised her.
Covfefe!
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

It's staggering to think of how many lies this represents.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

He never planned on winning, so he never stopped sleazing openly. It was always just an attention grab. Ratings and self-aggrandizement.

Then it backfired on America, and his bare ass is hanging out of the limo as he drives by a crowded tour bus filled with journalists.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
A senior Justice Department ethics official concluded acting attorney general Matthew G. Whitaker should recuse from overseeing special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s probe examining President Trump, but advisers to Whitaker recommended the opposite and he has no plans to step aside, according to people familiar with the matter.
Within days of the president’s announcement in early November that he had put Whitaker in the role on a temporary basis, Whitaker tapped a veteran U.S. attorney to become part of a four-person team of advisers on his new job, including the question of whether he should recuse from Mueller’s investigation because of his past statements regarding that probe, and his friendship with one of its witnesses, according to a senior Justice Department official.

Whitaker never asked Justice Department ethics officials for a recommendation, nor did he receive a formal recommendation, this official said.

However, after Whitaker met repeatedly with ethics officials to discuss the facts and the issues under consideration, a senior ethics official told the group of advisers on Tuesday that it was a “close call,” but Whitaker should recuse to avoid the appearance of a conflict of interest, the official said. Whitaker was not present at that meeting, they said.

Those four advisers, however, disagreed with the ethics determination and recommended to Whitaker the next day not to recuse, saying there was no precedent for doing so, and doing so now could create a bad precedent for future attorneys general.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I guess we know what's coming soon:

BREAKING (CNN): Giuliani Says It's Not a Crime to Knowingly Receive Stolen Property (Hacked Emails), Laying the Groundwork for It Eventually Being Revealed That Trump's Campaign Did Exactly That* *See the lengthy chapter in Proof of Collusion entitled, "The Hunt for Her Emails."
Maybe next year, maybe no go
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

A) Seth Abramson, gross

B) Nothing even resembling that headline appears on CNN's website.
Hodor.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

You disdain for specific Twitter personalities never ceases to amaze. :D

That being said, I guess this one is on me as I read the headline and didn't follow up with an actual link to CNN. Perhaps the hate is warranted. :wink:

Regardless, when we're at the point where you can't instantly tell if something is fake or not...
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:56 pm You disdain for specific Twitter personalities never ceases to amaze. :D
I have great disdain for any of the Twitter grifters (Mensch, Krassenstein, Abramson, etc) who have made names for themselves by duping gullible Trump haters.
Hodor.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I didn't actually consider Abramson and Mensch in the same category, but maybe I'm wrong. As we all continue the slide into madness it's hard to keep things straight anymore. I'll endeavor to do better and refocus my hate more accurately. :D

Also, Mitch McConnell is a douche.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:25 pmAlso, Mitch McConnell is a douche.
Any particular reason today? Or just a general observation?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

As a guilible Drumpf hater can I add that Drumpf is a....

Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:30 pmAny particular reason today? Or just a general observation?
Nope. It's just a constant, unwavering feeling I have.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:40 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:30 pmAny particular reason today? Or just a general observation?
Nope. It's just a constant, unwavering feeling I have.
Ah, carry on then.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:25 pm I didn't actually consider Abramson and Mensch in the same category, but maybe I'm wrong. As we all continue the slide into madness it's hard to keep things straight anymore. I'll endeavor to do better and refocus my hate more accurately. :D

Also, Mitch McConnell is a douche.
Abramson's definitely a cut above Mensch (who is pretty clearly either a lunatic or a fraud), but he's not *that* much above her. Mensch is looney tunes "marshal of the Supreme Court has a sekret arrest warrant for Trump" land. Abramson is more "why the font choice in Mueller's complaint shows that Trump is in trouble", i.e. stuff that's not bonkers *on its face*, but tends to make overconfident predictions from little to no evidence.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Why didn’t / wouldn’t Cohen admit to that one.
IIRC, the Prague trip was like the one thing he always says was falsely reported.

Interesting.