Board Games We're Looking Forward to in 2019

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

YellowKing

Board Games We're Looking Forward to in 2019

Post by YellowKing »

Decided to start this thread since the discussion doesn't exactly fit with the Kickstarter thread (if they're not on Kickstarter), or the games we're playing this weekend thread.

Recently I watched the Watch It Played video for Stonemaier's upcoming game WINGSPAN.

This is a fairly light competitive tableau builder in which players take the roles of ornithologists trying to attract various bird species to their aviaries. Each turn, a player can take one of four actions corresponding to one of four bird habitats. Place a bird in their aviary, gain a food (required to "pay" for birds you place), lay eggs (for scoring), or draw new bird cards.

Each bird has special powers that will activate when you perform an action on their row, so there is some depth in figuring out where to place birds and when to play certain actions to maximize the effects of your tableau. At the end of the game (played over several rounds), the winner is the player with the most points. Points are scored not only from number of birds, eggs, cached food tokens, etc. on each player's board, but also by completing special randomized bonus objectives each round.

The game comes with dozens of bird species cards with actual information about them, as well as cool little egg miniatures and a dice tower shaped like a bird feeder. :D

I'm not a huge bird guy but I must admit I'm strangely drawn to this one. It's a type of game I don't have in my collection, and is light enough I could possibly get the family involved. It also contains solo rules through the use of an Automa. Since Stonemaier is known for the quality of their Automa rules, I'm really hoping it's solid in this game as well.

Website is saying it will be available from Stonemaier next month with general retail in March. Check it out.
AWS260

Re: Board Games We're Looking Forward to in 2019

Post by AWS260 »

DINOGENICS!

I only have one other tabletop Kickstarter in progress, Thousand Year Old Vampire. I'm definitely looking forward to that one -- I've never tried a single-player pen-and-paper RPG before.

Also, I'm looking forward to whatever board games I get for Christmas. My family usually gets me at least one, and I'm counting on them to come through again this year.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

1. Dinogenics
2. Batman: Gotham City Chronicles (a friend gave me an all-in pledge as a gift last year.)
3. Actually playing the stuff that's on my shelf!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

AWS260 wrote:Also, I'm looking forward to whatever board games I get for Christmas. My family usually gets me at least one, and I'm counting on them to come through again this year.
I have a handful on my wishlist this year. FOLKLORE: THE AFFLICTION (I've read the combat is kind of dull, but the solo gamers on the FB group I'm on are loving this one), and VITICULTURE: ESSENTIAL EDITION (Solosaurus podcast sold me on it, and I don't have many worker placement games). Also asked for THANOS RISING because.....Marvel, and I find USAopoly games lightweight fun. The one I'm most likely to receive is HEROES OF TERRINOTH, because I saw my wife sneak a picture of it last time we were in the game store.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I suppose it's Dinogenics by default. It's the only game I have on order and only one I have on my radar... I honestly don't know what I'm in for there, other than it looks a lot like the Agricola style of worker placement/placemat management. But I will say, I am honestly looking forward to what appears to be the quality of the game components. Something I don't normally say. I'm function over form guy, but most of the 2-5 player games in 14" x 14" box are hitting that $60+ mark and I'm feeling ripped off when open the game up to what is usually some generic tokens, two pages of cardboard popouts, a deck or two of cards, five glossy paper placemats, a traditional game board, a 12 page glossy instruction set, and couple of zip lock baggies. I may be out of touch with production costs of the demands of IP but $60 always feels too steep to that combo. Dinogenics at least looks like I'm the production TLC for my $60.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Got a whole bunch of stuff coming, but the single game I'm looking forward to the most is the Gloom of Kilforth reprint, coming shortly after the New Year. It's a little late (~6 months), but he's apparently a perfectionist and it was held up a bit with edits and corrections. This looks right in my wheelhouse and the artwork is bananas.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:43 pm 1. Dinogenics
2. Batman: Gotham City Chronicles (a friend gave me an all-in pledge as a gift last year.)
3. Actually playing the stuff that's on my shelf!
All of the above, but mostly #3. I've actually done a great job of cleaning out my collection so there is really very little left that I haven't played. I need to get The Big Score to the table at some point and I also have a new Tim Fowers game coming that looks like a different take on Captain Sonar.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter