LGBT issues thread (was Supreme Court to hear same-sex marriage cases)

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: LGBT issues thread (was Supreme Court to hear same-sex marriage cases)

Post by Isgrimnur »

My mother is convinced that it somehow devalues her marriage to my father. Can't articulate how, but she's adamant.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Is you always have come across as a thinking individual. Are you sure she is your mother?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Trust me, there’s no doubt that I’m related to her. The familial resemblance to her and her siblings is obvious to anyone.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:35 pm My mother is convinced that it somehow devalues her marriage to my father. Can't articulate how, but she's adamant.
My mother had a similar opinion, I think. We have cousins who are gay and are married. During the ramp up to one of the weddings, she expressed the opinion that she accepted that gay people should be together like heteros and maybe civil unions, but for some reason she was opposed to them being married. I don't know why and I was too angry at the time to have a mature discussion about it. Harsh words were spoken and then the topic was never brought up again. My mom and I had a bit of a tumultuous relationship so being angry at each other was fairly normal.

She's gone now so I will never know what her exact reasoning was. She clearly wanted our cousins and gay people in general, it was the marriage that she was hung up on.
Holman

Post by Holman »

For a lot of people, the rules around marriage are the last place where God publicly exists. (Maybe funerals, too, but those are characterized by grief rather than celebration.)

The last bits of God are expensive. Giving up traditional restrictions on marriage costs more than giving up traditional restrictions on sex or work or private feelings.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

It's religious hogwash about how "Marriage" is a sacred rite reserved for procreative couples or somesuch. That may not be the exact reasoning of various mothers but it probably stems from that tradition.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

My mom had lost her faith (if she ever had any in the first place) long before this moment. I'm sure what you say applies to many though.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

For most Mormons (which Mike Lee is), it centers around the belief that the spiritual foundation of a home requires both a mother and father, and that children lacking one or the other are essentially destined to become heathens with no chance of spiritual enlightenment. Or some such nonsense.

Of course, there's all sort of misogynistic and homophobic undertones wrapped up in that sentiment, but that's generally what they'll publicly claim.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The best argument against religion is the study of the history of religion.
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:35 pm My mother is convinced that it somehow devalues her marriage to my father. Can't articulate how, but she's adamant.
My father just thinks its "wrong," and can't explain why. And he never actually expressed this to me before last month, when my fiancée and I got engaged, and my dad declared that he (and by extension my mother) won't be coming to the wedding.

They have until next October to change their minds, or instead of gaining a son, they're going to lose one.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Fireball wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:04 am
...when my fiancée and I got engaged...
Congrats!
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:21 am
Congrats!
Absolutely! Many congratulations!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well I was raised by my grandmother and Im totally insane so I can see the point...wait no I cant.

On the flip side there are those that argue against gay couples adopting children and raising them. My question is the same as always...just where do these folk think gay people come from? Who raises gays?

Some people just dont have their heads screwed on right and refuse to admit it.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Congrats!

:obscene-drinkingcheers:
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

My father just thinks its "wrong," and can't explain why. And he never actually expressed this to me before last month, when my fiancée and I got engaged, and my dad declared that he (and by extension my mother) won't be coming to the wedding.

They have until next October to change their minds, or instead of gaining a son, they're going to lose one.
Congratulations on the engagement and my condolences on the parent. Hopefully he'll come around.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Seconded.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

noxiousdog wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:10 am

Congratulations on the engagement and my condolences on the parent. Hopefully he'll come around.
^ This
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Congratulations Fireball. I truly hope your parents ultimately use this as an inflection point to realize a bigoted ideology is a poor substitute for a loving son.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Fireball wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:04 aminstead of gaining a son, they're going to lose one.
Congrats!

I hear there's a gay conversion therapy you may be able to use on him. I believe it involves packing tape, toothpicks, a dentist's chair, and looping Brokeback Mountain until he accepts that reality doesn't fit his narrow views.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Congrats, Fireball!

If you’re looking for a woodsy resort for your honeymoon (or just a vacation), my little brother runs one in West Virgina. Since it’s owned and run by my brother and his boyfriend, you won’t have to deal with small minded biggots.

...just my brother’s super dry, dark sense of humor.
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Congrats, Fireball.

Don't give up hope if it's a tepid "wrong." Parents often have mixed feelings about their kids marrying. My ultra-catholic farm wife aunt changed her tune with my cousin".l after a few years. He and his husband are now very close to her. Familiarity can cure prejudice, if given a chance.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Gratz Fireball. Maybe he is one of those parents that say that hoping it will somehow change your course and when it doesn't he will come around and enjoy the new son.
Holman

Post by Holman »

My congratulations too!

Maybe they'll change before the wedding, maybe after. But at some point they'll see that what you're doing is right and beautiful.

If they don't, it's because the times are warped, not your union.
GuidoTKP

Post by GuidoTKP »

Congrats, Fireball! So sorry to hear your Dad is clinging to the wrong side of history, but either way, I hope your Wedding Day is amazing.
"All I can ever think of when I see BBT is, "that guy f***ed Angelina Jolie? Seriously?" Then I wonder if Angelina ever wakes up in the middle of the night to find Brad Pitt in the shower, huddled in a corner furiously scrubbing at his d*** and going, 'I can't get the smell of Billy Bob off of this thing.' Then I try to think of something, anything, else." --Brian

"Would you go up to a girl in a bar and say 'Pardon me, miss, but before I spend a lot of time chatting you up, and buying you drinks, I'd like to know if you do anal. Because if not, that's a deal-breaker for me.'"
-- Mr. Fed
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:21 am
Congrats!
What he said. :D
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Japan’s Supreme Court rules transgender people still have to get sterilised
The Supreme Court of Japan has upheld a law which forces transgender people to get sterilised before they can legally change their gender.
Smoove_B

Re: Supreme Court to hear same-sex marriage cases

Post by Smoove_B »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:22 am And here's the Kim Davis book
I sure hope she saved her money because Kim Davis Must Pay the $225,000 in Legal Fees for the Gay Couples Who Sued Her, Say Governor’s Lawyers:
Citing “conduct that violates civil rights,” lawyers for Gov. Matt Bevin say former Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis should be held responsible for nearly $225,000 in legal fees and court costs incurred by couples who sued her in 2015 when she refused to issue marriage licenses because of her religious opposition to same-sex marriage.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Governor's lawyers can't make anyone do jack.

Let me know when a court decides to have a say.

Not to mention, Governor, your government decided to sit around while this played out. I'd like to see you cough up some dough as well.
stessier

Post by stessier »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:03 pm Governor's lawyers can't make anyone do jack.

Let me know when a court decides to have a say.

Not to mention, Governor, your government decided to sit around while this played out. I'd like to see you cough up some dough as well.
It's not a great quote. It's his argument from a court filing that will be heard before a 3 judge panel on Thursday.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

An employer has almost always been held accountable for work related actions of its employees while they are executing their duties.

So...good luck with that, Governor's lawyers.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

On the other hand, she was an elected official rather than a state employee.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

You know, I like how the British call everybody a cunt.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:04 pm On the other hand, she was an elected official rather than a state employee.
I had forgotten about that. The idea that a job with the title "clerk" is an elected position is completely foreign to me.

I have no idea how that plays out, although there has to be a mechanism in place for discipline and removal, and I vaguely recall that they toyed with the idea.

Didn't they change the rules so they no longer needed her signature? Trying to work around her and having her be obstructionist during that time probably does lend credence to the request that she pay for the damages she caused.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jaymann wrote:You know, I like how the British call everybody a cunt.
I believe that it’s more Australian.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:40 pm
I have been called a cunt by both Brits and Ozzies, so I call it even.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Holman wrote:
Or you could just be a cunt.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

BAM!
Covfefe!
Holman

Post by Holman »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:09 pm
Holman wrote:
Or you could just be a cunt.
Maybe, but the claim in question is linguistic, not essential.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My state of Tennessee is trying to roll back gay marriage here. Its the state government as usual being idiots. Its Republican led but I just think its because they are idiots not their voting side. I hope.