OGRE - anyone buy/play it?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Zenn7

OGRE - anyone buy/play it?

Post by Zenn7 »

Can't find a thread for this, just a few entries under random gaming thread.

So, anyone ever buy this? Any feedback on it? Thinking about it during the sale time here.

I played the old computer version from 25-30 years ago. It was fun at the time not having anything like it. Wondering how like that version this one is. I only remember in the old one being able to play as a single Ogre storming a command center or a the command center side with a selectable assortment of troops trying to stop the Ogre. Non-Ogre side was sort of like a Tower Defense game, built mazes of barricades and hoped I could hit the Ogre and stop it.

Is there more to the new version than those options? If not, think I might wait longer. If so, might be worth $12.50...
jztemple2

Re: OGRE - anyone buy/play it?

Post by jztemple2 »

I have it on my Wishlist, having played the original ziplock package version back in the 70s or early 80s. I never played any of the computer versions. I'd like to read some impressions as well :coffee:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Well, thanks to Jaddison80 (thank you! :wub:) I now have a copy to try out and give some impressions :horse:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

jztemple2 wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:14 pm I have it on my Wishlist, having played the original ziplock package version back in the 70s or early 80s. I never played any of the computer versions. I'd like to read some impressions as well :coffee:
+1
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I just received this as a gift from somebody. The fonts were so small I couldn't read it tho. I think it was Jaddison80. Thank you very much! If was somebody else I apologize.My eyes are bad in the evening.
Anyrate I played the tutorials and watched a video of it. Will start a campaign tomorrow.
The graphics are a little retro and the controls lag a little bit. Could be my pc. Will investigate further tomorrow. As I said I'll have a fresh pair of eyes then.

Update...I just read my emails and it was Jaddison80. I'm so glad I got it right! I assume that's the same person as jaddison?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I played just over an hour of this and in the Classical mode it's just what I remembered from the old paper game, except of course since it's on the computer there's no arguing when the die would bounce off the table :lol:. Controls are good, graphics are fine. I ran through all the tutorials, the first game of the campaign and downloaded and played a scenario from the Steam Workshop. It's a game with short scenarios, maybe 15 minutes for something not too complex. There are a number of options to speed up gameplay by eliminating combat and/or movement animations and there's also an overall speed adjustment so things just play faster. It doesn't affect the mechanics, just the presentation.

Back in the old wargaming days, back when the idea of being able to play a game like Ogre against a computer was just a silly dream, we played against real people across a table covered with paper maps, cardboard counters, crumbs, moist coasters and rule sheets covered with highlighter and pencil scratches. Ogre was "beer and pretzel" wargaming, something more social than, say, Campaign for North Africa :D, something that didn't need your full attention. This iteration of Ogre on the computer is like that, it doesn't require lots of concentration, just some attention and having fun.

This is a multiplayer feature to the game, but I didn't check that out. Somehow not being in the same room as someone playing against you in a game like Ogre just doesn't seem as much fun.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I have played it as much as the OGRE Deluxe version sitting in a massive box on my shelf.

None.

But it's my first convention game, so I will play it again -- one day!
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Pretty easy on the first mission. Just stop the Ogre. Killed all it's treads. I don't remember that from long ago but I probably just forgot about the treads.
Still a little confused about GEV movement in rough/forest terrain.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

O.G.R.E. was the only game an SPI & Avalon Hill wargamer could get those Dungeons & Dragons nerds to play way, way, way back when. LOL :mrgreen:
Stop funding for NPR
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

em2nought wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:01 pm O.G.R.E. was the only game an SPI & Avalon Hill wargamer could get those Dungeons & Dragons nerds to play way, way, way back when. LOL :mrgreen:
Ah, another old grognard from the past :horse:

I never got into D&D or any fantasy stuff myself, the most I ever got into games with gamemasters was to host a few sessions of Top Secret, a role playing espionage themed game. My players weren't very much into rules or calculating odds so the sessions became more of me just telling the story and pretending to roll dice behind my screen.