Drazzil Mega Thread: Round table panel skills presentation +Took a home drug test for THC; failed at 45 days sobriety.

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Drazzil

Re: Drazzil Mega Thread: Job Search!

Post by Drazzil »

Chicken was great. Bacon on the top to keep it hydrated.
Low and slow with plenty of smoke!
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:34 pm February 19th is the hospitality job fair. I'm sure that there will be opportunities there.

Also, you can probably get a job as a dishwasher and see about working your way up if you were so inclined.
Thank you for everything you do Isgrimnur.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You're welcome. I know what it's like to struggle to get your life and career 'started'. It's a hard road with a lot of ups and downs, but the payoff can be huge.

You've made some major strides to improve things, especially considering a lack of a strong family and friends safety net. Keep your eye on the prize and working toward what you want.

The path forward may not always be the one you want it to be, but persistence and humility will get you far. Recognize your strengths and be able to identify and work on your failings. Even when it requires asking for help, which is one of the hardest obstacles to overcome. No one succeeds alone.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:00 pm You're welcome. I know what it's like to struggle to get your life and career 'started'. It's a hard road with a lot of ups and downs, but the payoff can be huge.

You've made some major strides to improve things, especially considering a lack of a strong family and friends safety net. Keep your eye on the prize and working toward what you want.

The path forward may not always be the one you want it to be, but persistence and humility will get you far. Recognize your strengths and be able to identify and work on your failings. Even when it requires asking for help, which is one of the hardest obstacles to overcome. No one succeeds alone.
My biggest issue with starting at the bottom again as a dishwasher is I have shoulder that still needs rehabbing and restaruant work is hard and mostly pays sh-t, though. Maybe that's changed now.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:25 pm Start making plans to spend January working on what you need when the companies come back in February.

Talk to the counselors about your resume, company research tactics, cover letters, etc.

And work on and test your interview skills.
i'm signing onto this thread, since i also need to do this. resume is done - i just need to send it out. and write a few cover letters, and then some more.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Drazzil wrote:My biggest issue with starting at the bottom again as a dishwasher is I have shoulder that still needs rehabbing and restaruant work is hard and mostly pays sh-t, though. Maybe that's changed now.
Maybe so, but no more excuses. Life can be hard. You're not in a place in your life you can expect not to work hard for shit pay. Suck it up buttercup.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If the people at the career center don’t recognize you on sight, you’re not going enough.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I graduated in the top 10% of my law school class, was working at a Big Accounting Firm, and STILL had to become well known to my placement center to get hired in my field.

The era of being entitled to a job after college was over before the Great Recession. You have to work to find work.

Your biggest issue is getting focused on finding work.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Drazzil

Re: Drazzil Mega Thread: AA Meetings: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Post by Drazzil »

I thought I would go about talking in a very general fashion about the AA meetings I have been to.

The good gives me a chance to emulate their high standards. The bad gives me examples of what to avoid, and the ugly lets me say "Wow! there for the grace of god go I."

Now to your regularly scheduled programming.
Drazzil

Re: Drazzil Mega Thread: Mom fell in hospice. Musta tried to get up

Post by Drazzil »

Going to see her today.
Drazzil

Re: Drazzil Mega Thread: Mom fell in hospice. Musta tried to get up

Post by Drazzil »

I visited mom this morning. Read her the letter from her brother Frank, showed her cat pictures, then asked her how she was.

I noticed her roommate was gone, I asked mom about it, she said
"I'm glad shes gone!"
I asked "Why?"
Mom says: "She was still alive!"

I finished feeding her her pie, gave her a hug and a kiss and said:

"When you say shit like that it makes me not want to visit you as much"

She says: "I understand, then says "I love you always!"

I say: "I love you too, always!" then I hugged and kissed her and thanked my lucky stars that I no longer have to take care of her. Here's to a merry Christmas and her being someone elses problem.
Drazzil

Re: Drazzil Mega Thread: Being broke sucks

Post by Drazzil »

I gave up eating out. It was running me two bills a month I couldn't afford. Now I cook ALL my own food. Its not even the big stuff like going to buffets I miss the most, but going out once a week with my best friend to Chicken Pho, or getting chicken tacos every other day that I miss the most.

I am gradually losing all my bad habits. Smoking cigars is next on the list to go. Quitting smoking isin't that hard. I've downgraded to cigarettes lately. I only smoke those with my AA buddies so a single pack can last a week.

I'm going to go on the gum when I run out of cigars and this next pack runs out. Man being broke sucks.
Isgrimnur

Re: Drazzil Mega Thread: Being broke SUUUCKS.

Post by Isgrimnur »

CPP classes start on the 19th. Add/drop starts on Wednesday. Somewhere in there, the career center people will be back. Find out when, take them some cookies, and start making yourself a fixture.
Zarathud

Drazzil Mega Thread: Being broke SUUUCKS.

Post by Zarathud »

You know how to stop being broke?

Find yourself a job. What have you done lately towards that goal?
Have you worked on your resume?
How about your attitude? Taking that "hate the world, let it burn" mindset unto a job interview is going to sink you.
Work your ass off. There is no magic pill.

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Yes, there is a magic pill. I have just one left.
It will cost $4999.
Certified check.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

On the up side all the money I loaned out came back today...,huzzah!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Zarathud wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:42 pm You know how to stop being broke?

Find yourself a job. What have you done lately towards that goal?
Have you worked on your resume?
How about your attitude? Taking that "hate the world, let it burn" mindset unto a job interview is going to sink you.
Work your ass off. There is no magic pill.

Thanks for the motivational speech. It got me to sign up for Udemy's course for getting my PMI-ACP certification. :dance:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Motivation exhausts me.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

For me motivation comes of necessity not because I really want it.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:coffee:
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Looks like the magic pill broke him.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:coffee:
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Hmm? :ninja:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

From $20,000 at the beginning of the thread to broke now.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

em2nought wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:56 pm Hmm? :ninja:
Holy shit that's dark. Hysterical, but dark.

Wish I'd thought of it.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:51 pm:coffee:
You didn't actually expect Drazzil to change and follow through and keep everyone here posted, did you?
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

20/80.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

He'll be back any year now.......
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

This phase of the experiment is over.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Sorry I haven't kept in touch better guys. Been really depressed over here. I lost my license, the DoR suspended my case pending a medical review that wont take place till and I cant even make my fucking AA meetings cause at every meeting where I asked for a ride, no one came forward to help. I am still sober but I'm angry as hell because I went to those meetings every day and *thought* I made friends. Turns out that they were fair weather friends just like almost everyone else in my life, so fuck it.

I managed to get Paratransit but the fucked up thing is it's 3.25 each way and attending my AA meeting would cost me 280 a month. I am so pissed at the world right now, the easiest thing in the world would be to start drinking and smoking weed again but somehow I've stayed away from that.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Glad to hear you're keeping sober. The world will always have ways to come at you. It's up to you to fight through it.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Are there closer AA meetings?
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Drazzil wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:27 pm
Sorry I haven't kept in touch better guys. Been really depressed over here. I lost my license, the DoR suspended my case pending a medical review that wont take place till and I cant even make my fucking AA meetings cause at every meeting where I asked for a ride, no one came forward to help. I am still sober but I'm angry as hell because I went to those meetings every day and *thought* I made friends. Turns out that they were fair weather friends just like almost everyone else in my life, so fuck it.

I managed to get Paratransit but the fucked up thing is it's 3.25 each way and attending my AA meeting would cost me 280 a month. I am so pissed at the world right now, the easiest thing in the world would be to start drinking and smoking weed again but somehow I've stayed away from that.
I know that here in Illinois they have a program for free transit if you qualify.
Maybe something to look into.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:52 pm Are there closer AA meetings?
Not good ones.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

So, just throwing this out there....

Think you can stay sober without an AA meeting? I think it sounds like (from what you've shared) you've practiced a great deal of self-control. Why not see if you can fly solo?
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Unagi wrote:So, just throwing this out there....

Think you can stay sober without an AA meeting? I think it sounds like (from what you've shared) you've practiced a great deal of self-control. Why not see if you can fly solo?
I don't think that's the best idea. I would look for other options first.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Unagi wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:21 pm So, just throwing this out there....

Please don't ever counsel someone who is being helped by AA, and clearly wants to continue participating, to stop going. That's not cool. They should be encouraged to go for as long as they need the help. For many people it is a lifetime commitment and they enjoy it.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Unagi wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:21 pm So, just throwing this out there....

I've had to "fly solo" for going on two weeks now. It is a lot harder. I have more dreams about drinking and smoking weed. Some of which I have had to ask myself when I wake up "I'm still sober right?" That said, I have things in the oven about getting my DoR services turned back on so things arent a *complete* loss.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I was smoking two packs of cigarettes when I quit. Afterwards I had dreams about smoking for years.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Drazzil wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:07 pm
Alefroth wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:52 pm Are there closer AA meetings?
Not good ones.
Maybe a not good one is better than none at all. It sounds like your existing one turned out to be not good.