Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Re: PC Gaming Randomness

Post by jztemple2 »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:32 pm FYI, Subnautica is free on the Epic Games Store through the holidays. Just go the store page, set up an account, and it's yours.

I've been eyeing it forever, but could never bring myself to pull the trigger because survival games usually don't click with me. But for free, I'll definitely give it a look.
That’s a pretty nice game to be giving away free.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I went ahead and signed up for Epic Games and got my free copy of Subnautica, which I already own through Steam :roll:

So I'll just see what happens with them, but I'm not giving them money until there's a consensus that this isn't going to be some flash in the pan.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Doesn't look like my usual kind of game, but the price is right, so I signed up. "Kraken57" was already taken, which makes me suspect that I already had an account there...but I couldn't find it, so I'm Ironrod57.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Carrier Deck: Phew, finally got 5/5 star on 4th mission in next to last "campaign". What usually gets me is 2 subs pop up at the end, while a bomber comes in, ALONG with a battlecruiser (which requires 4 surface attack crafts plus EW support). If any of them gets through, you don't get 5 stars.

I got enough F-18's and The Prowler to handle the battlecruiser. I managed to cycle up one of the Harriers as air defense. Previously decided to let my sub coverage laps when my S-3 had to land. I kept both Seahawks onboard for repairs, as I know if I send one out I won't have two to send out later (I only have 3 total). Once they've been cycled through lower deck hangars for repairs I quickly brought them back up and rearmed. And sure enough, there are the two subs, just as my S-3 is about to finish its patrol. Managed to queue all the missions just as all the radar coverage expired, and I launched basically EVERY craft except the two Ospreys in the hangar bay.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Carrier Deck: Finally, 5-star'ed every mission. Not doing too well on the survival missions though. Hahaha. So far, record seems to be in the 15 minute range. (on Captain and Admiral difficulty)

I did last like almost fifty minutes in lieutenant difficulty. Will have to try admiral difficulty later.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

I just played To The Moon the other day. My wife is on the spectrum, so it hit me really, really hard.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Eel Snave wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:20 pm I just played To The Moon the other day. My wife is on the spectrum, so it hit me really, really hard.
I can count the times a video game brought me to tears on two fingers. To The Moon was one, Aeris was the other.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:30 pm
Eel Snave wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:20 pm I just played To The Moon the other day. My wife is on the spectrum, so it hit me really, really hard.
I can count the times a video game brought me to tears on two fingers. To The Moon was one, Aeris was the other.
It's like, I heard, "This is going to make you cry," so I was prepared for it and HOO BOY I was NOT prepared for it.

As an aside, the first time a video game really hit me? Zelda: Link's Awakening for the Game Boy. It was after the reveal that the entire island was a dream, and then I suddenly realized that all of the characters that I really liked would just be GONE once I beat the game and I got incredibly sad. I seriously considered quitting just so that they would stay alive. I was 15, I think.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Kasey Chang wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:59 am Carrier Deck: Finally, 5-star'ed every mission. Not doing too well on the survival missions though. Hahaha. So far, record seems to be in the 15 minute range. (on Captain and Admiral difficulty)

I did last like almost fifty minutes in lieutenant difficulty. Will have to try admiral difficulty later.

Got to 25 minutes on Admiral level. Where things got too hectic and when I crashed a couple planes on deck, I know I'm done for.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im installing LEGO Lord of the Rings. I got both it and LEGO The Hobbit free this holiday season (I posted links to all the free stuff in the free games post in the trading area of the forum) . Hope its fun. I picked it over the Hobbit one because Ive not read the Hobbit or seen the movie and have LotR.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Haven't seen a thread, are we not doing a Wishlistmas this year?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:42 pm Haven't seen a thread, are we not doing a Wishlistmas this year?
It's in everything but games.

thread
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Tried to play Battlefleet Gothic, it plays for 5 minutes and just crashes. ARGH!!!!! Tried to start the Campaign twice, died after the mine. Tried start a skirmish, game crashed to desktop after first shot was fired. Phooey.

Tried playing "armed to the gears", which is an action mech game but with a bit of RTS, as you need to conquer spawn points while taking out enemy spawn points, and defend your own with turrets. The turrets are really really stupid, mind you, so it seems basically I deploy enough turrets to defend for a little while, go on raids, destroy a couple spawn points, run back, defend some more, replenish turrets, and repeat while I dismantle the enemy base bit by bit. It's really PITA, though it is kinda exciting.

Won another map. Have to protect one spawn point and destroy two more. It's a real PITA as the enemy spawn points have to be destroyed, and you can't get close enough if you don't attack them. I ended up with "turret crawl" (build two super turrets closer and closer to the enemy base) and when there are no leakers, dash in, bash the spawn points with artillery, run back for repairs, repeat.
Last edited by Kasey Chang on Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Well, this sucks. I got an email from Green Man Gaming saying that since I'm a VIP customer I get a free mystery game. So I get my code and hit the button and get a message "Unfortunately, you have reached the maximum number of copies allowed for one of the products in your basket". And I get nothing. Supposedly there are over a hundred games available and since I haven't bought that many games from GMG, they can't give me another game instead? That sucks, or as I put it in a forum post, pretty Scrooge-ish.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

I think they are broken. I logged in fine the other day, but if I try right now, I get "Sorry, you don't have the rights to make this request." Logging in, not claiming the game.
I have but one advocate.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Well, never mind my bitching, I did get a free game, but it was on the third or fourth try of going through the process and each time getting that red message saying I wasn't eligible. So I posted an apology and reminded myself to always wait before posting :roll:
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Yeah, mine worked with lots of slowdown and errors, too.
I have but one advocate.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

I got the GMG email - I got a code when I hit claim, but it's not a Steam code and not sure what to do with it?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im a VIP member but haven't go ta game or email.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:06 pm Im a VIP member but haven't go ta game or email.
I'd go to their website and select the VIP page. If you are logged in you should see the box with the code button down at the bottom, the "Mystery" game is in the box next to it for a dollar. Select the $1 mystery game and use the code when you check out and you should see it shown for free.

And speaking of random gaming, a link to a video about playing Car Mechanic Simulator 2018 reminded me that I have the base game but didn't play it very much, so I need to give it some time and see if I want to get the DLC while they are on sale.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Many of these sites with sales are currently having issues. Happening with GOG too, where some are having issues claiming their free games.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

jztemple2 wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:12 pm
Daehawk wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:06 pm Im a VIP member but haven't go ta game or email.
I'd go to their website and select the VIP page. If you are logged in you should see the box with the code button down at the bottom, the "Mystery" game is in the box next to it for a dollar. Select the $1 mystery game and use the code when you check out and you should see it shown for free.
I suspected that might be the case, but couldn't go there - shows the $1 mystery game is "Out of Stock". Have to keep checking and see if that's bugged or what.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I see a code for 15% off . Ill keep looking
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:48 pm I see a code for 15% off . Ill keep looking
I also see that, but that (for me) is at the top of the page, the free game stuff is at the bottom.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

jztemple2 wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:39 pm
Daehawk wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:48 pm I see a code for 15% off . Ill keep looking
I also see that, but that (for me) is at the top of the page, the free game stuff is at the bottom.
Right now, my "Limited Stock!" deal area is empty, other than an expiration date of tomorrow.
-mf
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Tried to play Frontier Pilot Simulator, it's pretty interesting, but it's also quite hard. I don't have enough frame rates, so I always land hard, and shift from VTOL to forward flight is harsh. Also, flying through hazards is not recommended. ;)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

How do digitally distributed games go out of stock? Do they have a limited number of keys they can sell?
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

That. Yes.
-mf
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Playing Deadstone, from the guys who recently brought you Vigilantes. Basically, it's a 3rd person active participation tower defense, albeit wtih a story about zombies on Mars. Basically, you have to protect the colony from zombies, who will hit you by the THOUSANDS over the course of the "war", probably 100-200 per mission. You can deploy mines and turrets in later missions, and you'll get better weapons later, but the enemies get upgrades too. They can suddenly appear in underground burrows, have a "command-type" that supercharges some bad guys, soldier type that have a gun that shoot at you (former "Marshalls"), zombie dogs with explosive packs, and now, scrambler with minimal phasing capability... makes short teleports. Clearly, there's still a ways to go. I've survived over 30 days (missions) and looks like I may have to survive a few more. The game throws in some variety by adding "rescue" (where you need to keep a guy alive until timer runs out, maybe with some turret help, while enemies come from all sides), and "arena" where you basically survive like Crisomland. There's a lot of RPG elements, as your basic stats (CON, SPD, GUN, and MEC) affects your HP, your speed, your gun accuracy, and your mechanical aptitude (number of turrets and mines you can deploy). Some guns require very high CON, while SPD affects your ability to run around (and you may have to chase down any that got past you). Every once in a while you'll get PERKS, like regenerating HP, regenerating ammo, auto-credits, autoloot, extra loot, and more.

It does get exciting, but also a bit tedious as the stuff gets a bit repetitive.

EDIT: Turns out the game ends at day "50" where a big reveal heralds the end and the last big battle.

I was playing on casual, so nothing too hard. I'd imagine things gets a bit more hectic on normal, or even "brutal".
Last edited by Kasey Chang on Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

If you have even a passing interest in the "games as art" style of games (i.e. Journey, Abzu, Flower, etc.), Gris is a must-play. Just finished it this morning, might be my favorite game of the year.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I think I have Daehawkitis - nothing is working for me as a PC game. I've tried casual, easy, first person, third person...and nothing is grabbing me at all. Not into Shadow of War or Dishonored 2. Just Cause 3 was a meh. I finished Wolfenstein New Colossus, but I didn't want to. Same with Far Cry Primal. I think the last game I really enjoyed was Planescape Torment back in early September. I have a ton of games I've picked up over the last three months but nothing is grabbing me. Hopefully I can figure out something to get out of the gaming funk.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

In my experience, either play something completely different (Subnautica? A strategy game?) or don't game for a week or two.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sports, racing, or grindy F2P (WoT, Wow, MWO) games tend to do for me nicely.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I have the same feeling often. I started on Landinar, but when I run into games that wants me to run around a space station with weird layouts just to get dialog from different characters with no quest arrows pointing at them, I basically stopped playing that. I was playing VoidExpanse a bit but kinda left that aside too. Tried Starship Corp and that feels like a drudge, just can't retain my interest at all. Heat Signature was neat but setting traps for the really nasty bad guys becomes too much of a chore. If the game wants me to grind, I want to feel a reason to.

Speaking of which, I tried Star Trek: Fleet Command a mobile game, and turns out, it's another "grind like heck" game, and I'm horribly bored, as the game's clearly incentivized toward the paid players who buy boosts.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I picked up Car Mechanic Simulator 2018 in the Steam Summer Sale but only put in a couple of hours. I had held off when it released last year because it was very buggy. But looking for something to do over the holidays I reinstalled and started playing and I've enjoyed it so much I've picked up all the DLC while they are still on sale, plus some cars from the Steam Workshop. It is a good game with which to relax.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

You should play Banished and contemplate the meaninglessness of existence.

Your house is waiting to be built, you are starving, your wife is sick and your child is freezing. Yet you stand there Idling. Why? WHY!? :grund:
There is no hug button. Sad!
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:19 pm I picked up Car Mechanic Simulator 2018 in the Steam Summer Sale but only put in a couple of hours. I had held off when it released last year because it was very buggy. But looking for something to do over the holidays I reinstalled and started playing and I've enjoyed it so much I've picked up all the DLC while they are still on sale, plus some cars from the Steam Workshop. It is a good game with which to relax.
It is rather... relaxing but after a while, there are only so many pushrod V8's you really want to disassemble. ;) I played CM2015 pretty far.

FWIW, the same company also has Truck mechanic and Train mechanic. However, I think Truck Mechanic is buggy as heck. Where's farm mechanic? ;)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

There's always My Summer Car instead.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Kasey Chang wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:51 pm I'm horribly bored, as the game's clearly incentivized toward the paid players who buy boosts.
And you’re surprised by this? You just described every single f2p mobile game ever created in the history of ever.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:09 am
Kasey Chang wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:51 pm I'm horribly bored, as the game's clearly incentivized toward the paid players who buy boosts.
And you’re surprised by this? You just described every single f2p mobile game ever created in the history of ever.
Nope, I am sort of miffed at myself that I played it for a couple days until Level 9. That's hours and hours wasted. But the line between paid and free is ridiculous. In research, there are a couple research items that made your ship 200% better but cost 35000 ingame currency, when F2P players have less than 200 typically.