The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Holman

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Holman »

He also lied to the troops about their pay raise.
“You protect us. We are always going to protect you. And you just saw that, ’cause you just got one of the biggest pay raises you’ve ever received. … You haven’t gotten one in more than 10 years. More than 10 years. And we got you a big one. I got you a big one. I got you a big one,” Trump told the US troops at Al Asad Air Base on Wednesday, according to CNN.

He later added, “They had plenty of people that came up, they said, ‘You know, we could make it smaller. We could make it 3%, we could make it 2%, we could make it 4%.’ I said, ‘No. Make it 10%. Make it more than 10%.’ Cause it’s been a long time, it’s been more than 10 years. Been more than 10 years, that’s a long time.”

In fact, America’s troops have received an automatic pay raise every year for more than three decades. While the pay raise authorized by the 2019 National Defense Authorization Act was the largest in nine years, it only amounted to a 2.6 percent pay raise.
I feel pretty sure that servicemembers are aware of their pay raises down to the penny.

Is there any point to Trump's bullshit other than to pump himself up with the base at home, or maybe just in his own mind? I'm starting to believe that much of the lying is about the latter.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Holman wrote:He also lied to the troops about their pay raise.
“You protect us. We are always going to protect you. And you just saw that, ’cause you just got one of the biggest pay raises you’ve ever received. … You haven’t gotten one in more than 10 years. More than 10 years. And we got you a big one. I got you a big one. I got you a big one,” Trump told the US troops at Al Asad Air Base on Wednesday, according to CNN.

He later added, “They had plenty of people that came up, they said, ‘You know, we could make it smaller. We could make it 3%, we could make it 2%, we could make it 4%.’ I said, ‘No. Make it 10%. Make it more than 10%.’ Cause it’s been a long time, it’s been more than 10 years. Been more than 10 years, that’s a long time.”

In fact, America’s troops have received an automatic pay raise every year for more than three decades. While the pay raise authorized by the 2019 National Defense Authorization Act was the largest in nine years, it only amounted to a 2.6 percent pay raise.
I feel pretty sure that servicemembers are aware of their pay raises down to the penny.

Is there any point to Trump's bullshit other than to pump himself up with the base at home, or maybe just in his own mind? I'm starting to believe that much of the lying is about the latter.
2.6% isn't as flashy as a nice round number like 10%. He is all about the showmanship after all and the people want flair. Are we not entertained?
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

To be fair, Trump probably thinks 2.6% rounds to 10%, and whatever they got before rounds to zero.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Zaxxon wrote:To be fair, Trump probably thinks 2.6% rounds to 10%, and whatever they got before rounds to zero.
Well yeah. Everything before Trump was a big zero but now due to his largesse we are all getting the winning we deserve!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Toe

Post by Toe »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:47 pm To be fair, Trump probably thinks 2.6% rounds to 10%, and whatever they got before rounds to zero.
Nah, he is just setting things up for the inevitable "I wanted to give you guys a 10% raise, but the Democrats said no."
malchior

Post by malchior »

Former Amb. to Syria backs Trump's move on Syria. I read this and came away with a distinct belief the author means well but is looking at the Syria move with extremely generous eyes (or has an ulterior motive). Anyway, the last paragraph is a laugh fest. He tacitly seems to acknowledge the President and the NSC were on different pages and then blames it on the NSC staff. The President makes a snap decision on the phone with a foreign power and the staff is wrong here. Come on. You can't make shit analysis like this up. I'm not even going to say Trump is wrong here...only that he would only be accidentally right. I almost think we have someone gunning to be next Secretary of State here.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Oh good. We’ve now moved from “we need the wall to keep out rapists and MS-13...BROWN PEOPLE OOGA BOOGA!!” to “We need to close the Southern Border for everything, including trade because MAGA...oh, and BROWN PEOPLE OOGA BOOGA!!”

Wait, didn’t he just renegotiate the bigliest NAFTA deal ever? And “Looses?” :lol:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Trump doesn't honor his deals. How silly of you to expect differently.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

It doesn't surprise me in the least that Trump is one of *those* people who spell lose wrong.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Hey, a new low point, also it's just another random Saturday for the President:

Any deaths of children or others at the Border are strictly the fault of the Democrats and their pathetic immigration policies that allow people to make the long trek thinking they can enter our country illegally. They can’t. If we had a Wall, they wouldn’t even try! The two.....

...children in question were very sick before they were given over to Border Patrol. The father of the young girl said it was not their fault, he hadn’t given her water in days. Border Patrol needs the Wall and it will all end. They are working so hard & getting so little credit!
What an utter and complete PoS he is.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I expect my children to take more responsibility for their actions. Once you take someone into custody, they're your responsibility until released.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

An Ipsos poll from a few days ago found that 44% of Americans blame Trump for the shutdown, and only 35% want his wall. So the only people buying his act are those who were already all-in. One hopes that the incoming Dems will hold fast. The longer he throws tantrums, the more his approval suffers.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kraken wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:10 pm An Ipsos poll from a few days ago found that 44% of Americans blame Trump for the shutdown, and only 35% want his wall. So the only people buying his act are those who were already all-in. One hopes that the incoming Dems will hold fast. The longer he throws tantrums, the more his approval suffers.
The Hill has a poll showing that just 33% of likely voters would "definitely" or "probably" vote to re-elect Trump.

I imagine the overlap between that and the wall-lovers is pretty tight.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Holman wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:18 pm
Kraken wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:10 pm An Ipsos poll from a few days ago found that 44% of Americans blame Trump for the shutdown, and only 35% want his wall. So the only people buying his act are those who were already all-in. One hopes that the incoming Dems will hold fast. The longer he throws tantrums, the more his approval suffers.
The Hill has a poll showing that just 33% of likely voters would "definitely" or "probably" vote to re-elect Trump.

I imagine the overlap between that and the wall-lovers is pretty tight.
It has been pretty much solidified that hardcore Trump fans amount to about 33% of the populace. That is his floor. Which is really depressing.
Holman

Post by Holman »

malchior wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:10 pm It has been pretty much solidified that hardcore Trump fans amount to about 33% of the populace. That is his floor. Which is really depressing.
Yep. And the villains of American politics are the additional 20% (mostly white suburbanites) who allow those deplorables to shape a majority.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I hope the Democrats hold firm and not cave in and give him half or something that he'll claim as a yuge victory. Not one diddly-damn dime should be allocated to that wall.

It sucks because I have friends impacted by the shutdown, so I'm basically advocating they continue not getting paid. But giving into this tyrant would do far more harm in the long run. If he thinks he can get what he wants...or even half of what he wants....just by holding the American people hostage, then we're in for a horrendous two years.
Holman

Post by Holman »

The administration is already floating language that will allow them to back down while claiming victory.

Both Kellyanne Conway and John Kelly have said this weekend that the "wall" was never really meant to be a physical wall. This, despite Trump's endless assertions that the wall is physical and that physical walls are the best technology and etc etc.

Look for them to claim that any funding whatsoever (say, money for Border Patrol truck tires) counts as "getting The Wall."
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

He already had that option but Fox news talked him out of it.

That was already on the table with bipartisan support which the president was willing to sign but that wasn't good enough for Fox.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

That seems to be the best way to manage this president* -- like neoNAFTA, change a couple of details, rename it, and declare a great victory. Trump's supporters think that the wall is already well underway, so they'll believe anything.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Kraken wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:13 pm That seems to be the best way to manage this president* -- like neoNAFTA, change a couple of details, rename it, and declare a great victory. Trump's supporters think that the wall is already well underway, so they'll believe anything.
He visited and/or will visit 200 miles of his new wall over the holidays.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

He’s used to unrequited love.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Holman wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:38 pm The administration is already floating language that will allow them to back down while claiming victory.

Both Kellyanne Conway and John Kelly have said this weekend that the "wall" was never really meant to be a physical wall. This, despite Trump's endless assertions that the wall is physical and that physical walls are the best technology and etc etc.

Look for them to claim that any funding whatsoever (say, money for Border Patrol truck tires) counts as "getting The Wall."
Now Graham says the wall is just a metaphor for border security. Definitely looking like that's the exit strategy.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Alefroth wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:29 amNow Graham says the wall is just a metaphor for border security. Definitely looking like that's the exit strategy.
There is no definitely with Trump. Graham was just last to talk to him. Plenty of time for the next person to change his mind again.

Edit: And there we go...

Edit 2: :doh:

Holman

Post by Holman »

Less than 24 hours from now, Nancy Pelosi will be Speaker of the House and subpoena power will rest with Dems who've been sharpening their knives for two years.

I have some hopes for 2019.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

malchior wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:06 am
Alefroth wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:29 amNow Graham says the wall is just a metaphor for border security. Definitely looking like that's the exit strategy.
There is no definitely with Trump. Graham was just last to talk to him. Plenty of time for the next person to change his mind again.

So he's going with Invisible Fence it seems. Hey, it works for dogs, right? It should do wonders keeping out people he considers lower than dogs.
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Mexico's going to pay for the Invisible Fence by installing shock chips on all their citizens and everyone that passes through?

Makes as much sense as any other Trump plan.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Right, so here's the plan:

(1) Pass a funding bill that is $5 billion "for the Wall, border security, and other measures";
(2) Tell Trump that they have finished building a completely see through wall;
(3) Take him to "the wall", but tell him that he can't get close enough to touch it because they double electrified it to keep drug dealers out, so it would be too dangerous to get close;
(4) Use the $5 billion on other things.
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:12 pm (4) Use the $5 billion on other things.
...like maybe starting a seawall to protect one of our most vulnerable cities. Because that's where the real threat lies, and where walls can really help.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

malchior wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:06 am

Regardless of how bad he is at it, I think it's still the strategy.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:12 pm Right, so here's the plan:

(1) Pass a funding bill that is $5 billion "for the Wall, border security, and other measures";
(2) Tell Trump that they have finished building a completely see through wall;
(3) Take him to "the wall", but tell him that he can't get close enough to touch it because they double electrified it to keep drug dealers out, so it would be too dangerous to get close;
(4) Use the $5 billion on other things.
"'Surely 'tis the most wonderous wall in all the land, sire!"

Enlarge Image
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

Daniel Dale is covering Trump's remarks to the press during the Q&A today. It's absolutely bonkers, from shitting on allies and (current) U.S. generals to claiming that the Vatican has "the biggest wall of them all" (it has none) to declaring that the government should no longer publish information on U.S. wars because "the enemy reads those reports."
malchior

Post by malchior »

He also described the sell off last month as a 'glitch' - downplaying the worst December since the Great Depression. He also said it'll spike back up when they settle the trade war with China which is pretty accurate. Sort of like taking credit for saving a life after administering the antidote to the poison slipped into a drink.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:50 pm the Vatican has "the biggest wall of them all" (it has none)
Wait, what?
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'm also seeing reports he compared the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan to our invasion. In the sense, they went in to stop terrorist attacks. Uh, what? Also, sounded like he was making noises about pulling a similar move to Syria. This will go well.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Kraken wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:30 pm
Holman wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:50 pm the Vatican has "the biggest wall of them all" (it has none)
Wait, what?
It's a mistake he's been making for years.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

stessier wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:50 pm
Wait, what?
But to say it has "none" isn't exactly true either.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

This is what a straight-up freak out looks like as he's realizing what's happening tomorrow. Sleep well Donald. Sleep well.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:57 pm
stessier wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:50 pm
Wait, what?
But to say it has "none" isn't exactly true either.
40' high and 2 miles long. I walked the circumference once, and dined at a restaurant in the shadow of the wall. It's quite imposing...especially if you're a medieval pirate.

Vatican City is not entirely surrounded by walls, and their utility ended several centuries ago. So Trump is wrong as usual. But "it has none" is even wronger.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Sorry about the walls.

What I meant was that it is not surrounded by an impregnable barrier against enemies, "the biggest of them all," that Trump asserted. Sure, you can't barge in and use the Pope's bidet any more than you can stay over and sleep in the Louvre, but Vatican City is not run as a fortress.

--

As for Afghanistan, oh man.

First he endorsed the 1979 invasion, then he suggested that Russia (and IIRC India?) could take over the modern fight. These are both Pakistan's nightmare, so you can be certain that Trump kicked Islamabad's pro-Taliban overtures into overdrive today.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Just a normal cabinet meeting with visual aids-

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 08531.html