SCIENCE and things like that

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: SCIENCE and things like that

Post by Daehawk »

New bandages that help you heal quicker.

https://www.techspot.com/news/77947-new ... times.html
According to a University news post, the researchers in question have developed an entirely new type of bandage that could "dramatically speed up healing." Apparently, the bandage uses energy generated from a patient's body motions to apple "gentle electrical pulses" to an injury.

During rodent tests, researchers discovered that healing times could be reduced down to as few as three days, which is significantly shorter than the "normal healing process" that lasts around two weeks
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Filed under "Sciency things I didn't know": The brain's autopilot steers consciousness. The prevailing theory of consciousness says that it is that which emerges to handle the stuff that our unconscious mind can't process.
Unconscious processes greatly control our consciousness. Where you direct your attention, what you remember and the ideas you have, what you filter out from the flood of stimuli that bombard you, how you interpret them and what goals you pursue—all these result from automatic processes. Timothy Wilson of the University of Virginia considers this reliance on the unconscious to be the price that we pay for survival as a species. If we were forced always to consider every aspect of the situation around us and had to weigh all our options about what to do, humankind would have died out long ago. The autopilot in our brain—not consciousness—makes us what we are.

The real mastermind that solves problems and ensures our survival, then, is the unconscious. It is understandable that people tend to distrust the unconscious, given that it seems uncontrollable. How are we supposed to be in control of something when we do not even know when and how it influences us? Nevertheless, the arrangement works.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

This is kinda neat: 35 years ago, Isaac Asimov predicted the world of 2019.

All I'll say is that people were more optimistic in 1983. If you asked eminent writers today to predict the world of 2054, you'd get a much grimmer outlook than what Ike foresaw back then.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Doesn't seem that long ago. Or didn't before losing lil'D.

Anyways Im posting more....using the pc more...not playing anything.....feel bad for even using it more...but I got nothing else but walls.

Holman

Post by Holman »

Kraken wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:25 pm This is kinda neat: 35 years ago, Isaac Asimov predicted the world of 2019.

All I'll say is that people were more optimistic in 1983. If you asked eminent writers today to predict the world of 2054, you'd get a much grimmer outlook than what Ike foresaw back then.
1983 is late for optimism. The turnover was some point during the late SF New Wave, when we flipped from Foundation to Neuromancer.

From Twitter, some time ago:
Unless you're over 60, you weren't promised flying cars. You were promised an oppressive cyberpunk dystopia. Here you go.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:44 pm
Kraken wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:25 pm This is kinda neat: 35 years ago, Isaac Asimov predicted the world of 2019.

1983 is late for optimism. The turnover was some point during the late SF New Wave, when we flipped from Foundation to Neuromancer.

From Twitter, some time ago:
Unless you're over 60, you weren't promised flying cars. You were promised an oppressive cyberpunk dystopia. Here you go.
Fair enough. Asimov was very much a Golden Age writer, from whom one would expect a bright shiny future (although Foundation's psychohistory wasn't exactly a utopia, either). Asimov's 1950s sensibility was still intact in 1983.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Since I have a reputation to maintain, enjoy this "semenly harmless" journal article:
We report, with review of the literature, the case of a patient who developed a subcutaneous abscess after intravenously injecting his own semen in an attempt to treat longstanding back pain. He had devised this “cure” independent of medical advice. This is the first reported case of semen injection for use as a medical treatment.
Spoiler: Injecting yourself with your own semen doesn't treat back pain, FYI.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote:Since I have a reputation to maintain, enjoy this "semenly harmless" journal article:
We report, with review of the literature, the case of a patient who developed a subcutaneous abscess after intravenously injecting his own semen in an attempt to treat longstanding back pain. He had devised this “cure” independent of medical advice. This is the first reported case of semen injection for use as a medical treatment.
What a fascinating seminal finding.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Of course it didn't help his back pain, he injected it into his arm!
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:47 am Of course it didn't help his back pain, he injected it into his arm!
First he has to build up his arm strength!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:24 am Since I have a reputation to maintain, enjoy this "semenly harmless" journal article:
I'm going with some kind of weird fetish, and the "Back Pain" thing is the closest thing he could think of as a justification. I mean - would you want to go to the doctor and say "Because I really liked doing it" or "Because I thought it might heal me" ... ?
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The speed of light is wicked fast, right? There's nothing faster.

Here's a realtime illustration of light circling the earth (if there was no atmosphere getting in its way).
Spoiler:
Yeah, that's pretty fast. Now zoom out and watch light travel to the moon and back (to scale).
Spoiler:
Finally, here's a photon moving from earth to mars in real time (to scale again).
Spoiler:
Think about that the next time you're bopping from star to star in a space game.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Cool!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

You say MuTaTo, I say MuTayTo: Israeli scientists say they'll have a cure for cancer in a year. With no side effects. And cheaper than other therapies.

The description of their technique (read the link) sounds plausible to my not-medical ears, but there is a disturbing lack of peer-reviewed evidence. The only thing I'd say for sure is that this is a hopeful time for mice with cancer.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Kraken wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:36 am Yeah, that's pretty fast. Now zoom out and watch light travel to the moon and back (to scale).
Spoiler:
Is it just me, or is that almost EXACTLY the speed of the original Pong game?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Kraken wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:17 pm they'll have a cure for cancer in a year. With no side effects.
That's pretty amazing. Let's hope there is some truth to it!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Looks like its all a lie spread by online political trolls.

https://www.wired.com/story/the-complet ... nd-tragic/
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I hope my skepticism came through when I posted it. It's highly unlikely that there'll ever be a magic bullet for cancer. But...highly unlikely isn't impossible.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:36 pm Chemicals in food wrappers and packaging linked to weight gain:
Chemicals known as perfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS)—used frequently in fast-food wrappers and other products for their oil- and water-repellant properties—have been linked to hormone disruption, immune dysfunction, high cholesterol and even cancer. Now, a new study suggests that exposure to the chemicals could make it harder to keep weight off after dieting.
In the same way we wonder why people thought it was ok to dye clothing with arsenic or impregnate wallpaper with DDT, I now fully believe that a hundred years from now they're going to wonder why we never figured out how all these chemicals were slowly killing us.
WaPo
The Environmental Protection Agency on Thursday unveiled what officials called a historic effort to rein in a class of long-lasting chemicals that scientists say pose serious health risks. But environmental and public health groups, some lawmakers and residents of contaminated communities said the agency’s “action plan” isn’t aggressive enough and that the EPA should move more quickly to regulate the chemicals in the nation’s drinking water.

The EPA promised last spring to devise a plan to address the widespread contamination caused by perfluoroalkyl and polyfluoroalkyl compounds, or PFAS, which have been detected in the drinking water of millions of Americans. The agency’s leader at the time, Scott Pruitt, called the problem “a national emergency.”

The man-made chemicals have long been used in an array of consumer products, from water-repellent fabrics to nonstick cookware to grease-resistant paper products, as well as in firefighting foams used at airports and on military bases. Long-term exposures have been associated with an array of health problems, including thyroid disease, weakened immunity, infertility risks and certain cancers. Because they do not break down in the environment, they have become known as “forever chemicals.”
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Unagi wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:50 am Is it just me, or is that almost EXACTLY the speed of the original Pong game?
Not just you.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Scientists Produce Rigorous Study of Why Grapes Spark in the Microwave
A paper published Monday in a well-known science journal begins with the following sentence: “It is a truth universally acknowledged that a pair of grape hemispheres exposed to intense microwave radiation will spark, igniting a plasma.” A universally acknowledged truth indeed... but what causes this microwave marvel?

If you’re not familiar, putting grapes into a microwave to make sparks has become a popular YouTube trick. This new research from Canadian scientists shows that worthwhile advances can come from anywhere, even by studying something sort of silly.

“This is a regime that hasn’t been significantly studied before,” one of the paper’s authors, Pablo Bianucci from Concordia University in Montreal, told Gizmodo.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Nature
The DNA of life on Earth naturally stores its information in just four key chemicals — guanine, cytosine, adenine and thymine, commonly referred to as G, C, A and T, respectively.

Now scientists have doubled this number of life’s building blocks, creating for the first time a synthetic, eight-letter genetic language that seems to store and transcribe information just like natural DNA.

In a study published on 22 February in Science, a consortium of researchers led by Steven Benner, founder of the Foundation for Applied Molecular Evolution in Alachua, Florida, suggests that an expanded genetic alphabet could, in theory, also support life.
For a long time, scientists have tried to add more pairs of these chemicals, also known as bases, to this genetic code. For example, Benner first created ‘unnatural’ bases in the 1980s. Other groups have followed, with Romesberg’s lab making headlines in 2014 after inserting a pair of unnatural bases into a living cell.

But the latest study is the first to systematically demonstrate that the complementary unnatural bases recognise and bind to each other, and that the double helix that they form holds its structure.
By adjusting these holes and prongs, the team has come up with several new pairs of bases, including a pair named S and B, and another called P and Z. In the latest paper, they describe how they combine these four synthetic bases with the natural ones. The researchers call the resulting eight-letter language ‘hachimoji’ after the Japanese words for ‘eight’ and ‘letter’. The additional bases are each similar in shape to one of the natural four, but have variations in their bonding patterns.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

"I programmed a few to think they're smart, then think a corrupt buffoon as world leader is a good idea. Some draw funny pictures for a living and think they have unique insight. Divine comedy. Poor fools."
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Scott Adams went full Trumpaloo a long time back.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

RIP Jerry Merryman, 'brilliant' man who was an inventor of the calculator

Enlarge Image
Merryman told NPR's "All Things Considered" in 2013, "It was late 1965 and Jack Kilby, my boss, presented the idea of a calculator. He called some people in his office. He says, we'd like to have some sort of computing device, perhaps to replace the slide rule. It would be nice if it were as small as this little book that I have in my hand."

Merryman added, "Silly me, I thought we were just making a calculator, but we were creating an electronic revolution."
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

I just don't understand the image. If the planes are super sonic shouldn't the trails propogate to the sides after the planes pass through them? Why is the pattern so flat, are they right at the sound speed so the waves can keep up? Is it the nature of the pressure that keeps everything so flat and almost geometric?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That aircraft is not capable of speeds much past Mach 1. The faster you go, the more angled the shock waves become.

Shock waves

Hypersonic flow

Shock waves and streamlines over a 20° half-angle wedge at (a) Mach 2 and (b) Mach 20 [from Anderson, 2000]
Traveling at the speed of sound makes the ratio equal one and results in a Mach angle of ninety degrees. At transonic speeds the shock wave is a wall of high pressure moving with the object, perpendicular to its velocity. Above the speed of sound, the ratio is less than one and the Mach angle is less than ninety degrees. The faster the object moves, the narrower the cone of high pressure behind it becomes. Measuring the vertex angle is thus a simple way to determine the speed of a supersonic object.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Live Science
It may be hard to imagine towering Tyrannosaurus rex as tiny, but the toothy Cretaceous giant didn't spring from an egg fully grown. In fact, T. rex hatchlings were about the size of very skinny turkeys, with "arms" that were longer in proportion to their tiny bodies than in adults. And each baby T. rex was covered in a coat of downy feathers.

What's more, T. rex's feathers likely grew along the animal's head and tail into adulthood, according to new reconstructions that represent the most accurate models of the dinosaur to date.

These and many more T. rex surprises abound in T. rex: The Ultimate Predator, a new exhibit opening March 11 at the American Museum of Natural History (AMNH) in New York City.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Stolen from Twitter:

Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Holman

Post by Holman »

New Yorker: A young paleontologist may have discovered a record of the most significant event in the history of life on Earth.

Long article about a paleontologist who may be working on a site recording the actual day of the asteroid impact that extinguished the Cretaceous Period and the dinosaurs.

In true New Yorker fashion, the article deals with personality as much as science, but that seems relevant here, as the work is controversial and speculative. Still, it's rich and informative, and the discovery might be monumental.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I just finished reading that story 2 minutes ago and came here to post it. Fascinating stuff, if it holds up. “It’s like finding the Holy Grail clutched in the bony fingers of Jimmy Hoffa, sitting on top of the Lost Ark.”
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

A woman who feels no pain thanks for genetics that put double the natural pain relief in her blood and feels no anxiety or fear plus heals faster than normal holds hope for millions. I also predict tons of money to be made and super soldiers. And the lady is 71 so they better hurry.

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

The potential KT site article is really good. I don't know all that much about paleontology, but count me as one of the skeptics. Certainly the site holds some amazing fossils, but it just seems like too much had to go exactly right for the site to actually be a recording of the hour after the KT impact. Also, just some of the quotes by De Palma rubbed me the wrong way: maybe he's an extraordinary paleontologist (but his dinosaur/turtle mistake seems to question that), but it seems like he's trying to show off to the reporter. Naming the genus of a fossil you just found by a bit of bone? Seems.... rash.

And while good science is published in all sorts of journals and PNAS is a highly regarded journal (although it has its own issues), a find of this magnitude almost certainly means that De Palma initially tried to publish in Nature and Science (a publication in one of those two journals almost guarantees getting a tenure-track job). If so, I'd be curious to know why reviewers from those journals rejected it...
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The tektite craters are his strongest evidence. and they seem pretty solid. But yeah, he's a self-promoter, which always raises skepticism. It's a monumental claim and the rest of the field is right to question it thoroughly.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

There are a number of threads on Twitter from paleontologists skeptical of this claim. Ex:

Seems like the guy wanted to get a bunch of press before people could actually read the PNAS paper. It’s definitely a cool site but the claims that it is evidence of KT killing the dinosaurs seems non-existent in the paper.
Black Lives Matter