[Spaceship RPG] Rebel Galaxy

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: [Spaceship RPG] Rebel Galaxy

Post by Daehawk »

I had to use AutoHotKey for Destiny 2. Cant remember why I just know I had to use it for some numpad key...probably that sprint :)
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

As a non-WASD user (I use ESDF), I used to use autohotkey all the time to make games playable. Luckily my Corsair keyboard already includes rebind functionality.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've read (and watched) a few reviews about this game, but I still come across confused as to what type of game it actually is. Is this a story based game, or just another space trading sim? I love the prior, but tend to never 'get' the latter.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:56 pm As a non-WASD user (I use ESDF)...
A potentially dumb question, but what's the advantage (if any) of ESDF over WASD?
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It keeps your hand properly homed for typing.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:13 pm It keeps your hand properly homed for typing.
Exactly that. Almost everybody who has learned to type in the past century has learned the positions of the keys from the home (index fingers on F, J) position, and pretty much all keyboards are designed with that finger position in mind. The pips are there to help you place your fingers in that position without looking, there is an extra row of keys available to your pinky, you don't have to effectively learn two sets of key positions (where the '5' key is located is the same for typing and gaming with ESDF, not with WASD), and you don't have to move your fingers from your movement keys to type (more of an issue in games like MMOs where typed communication is a thing.)

WASD was just the case of one popular Quake player choosing it, then enough people copying him that it stuck and became a default programmed into some games.

In any case, it's a moot point for me. I got sick of games that didn't allow rebinding (or broke if you rebound them) and switched to WASD a few weeks ago.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Thanks!
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:46 pm I've read (and watched) a few reviews about this game, but I still come across confused as to what type of game it actually is. Is this a story based game, or just another space trading sim? I love the prior, but tend to never 'get' the latter.
To answer this question, I would say it's a combination of both of those and oddly enough throw in an old pirate ship game. 90% of your weapons are going to be on the broad side of your ship, so to do battle you have to pull up beside them like an old-timey pirate ship and blast away with your side cannons. You might have a couple of turrets across the top to assist, but most of the time they're going to be for defending the swarms of smaller ships that attack you.

There is definitely a Privateer-style story to it in that the further you progress throughout the storyline, the access to bigger and better ships you will have to get bigger and better paychecks, which allow you to buy even bigger and better ships and get even bigger and better paychecks. Some didn't like the storyline from what I've heard, but I enjoyed it well enough. It wasn't so convoluted is to make no sense even though it did lead you on a merry goose-chase around the sector. I really did enjoy the game, and even played it for quite some time after I finish the main story line. I've even considered going back and playing it again because I enjoyed it that much. It's a unique style of space sim in that it acts so much like a pirate game.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Thanks. Too many of the space games I've tried ended up being trade simulators. Maybe if I'd ever studied any form of economics at some point in my life it would be different, but most of the time they just leave me scratching me head.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

It's not a COMPLETE trading game, but that is certainly an aspect. Most money you get will be from selling loot from fights, but there is a trading game in there, as well. Mostly missions and such however. Privateer and pirates.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

When I played through this game, I honestly did not do a single bit of trading, other than selling off random loot I picked up from the wreckage of my enemies.
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I can't remember doing any trading either. It's certainly possible I've forgotten, but then that should tell you all you need to know about the importance and focus of trading in the game.

Elite/privateer it is not.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Quickest way to make money is upgrade to a freighter and do a lot of trading, but that's usually no fun. Hahaha.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The truth is I may very well have traded my way to wealth, but since I can't remember doing it, and can remember a number of details about the game, such as turret and broadside weapons and ship classes and your "aunt" or whatever, it can't have been very interesting.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Yeah, like I said, it is an aspect, but I remember just doing missions for money. I might be thinking of the "take these 100 medical supplies to X planet for X credits" which would allow me to fill up my hold with other goods to maximize profits. The assasination missions had to wait for a few weapons/ships upgrades.

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Kasey Chang wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:19 am Quickest way to make money is upgrade to a freighter and do a lot of trading, but that's usually no fun. Hahaha.
Sidenote: One of the worst things you can do in this game, I think, is trying to stay in the first zone to collect items or cash. Each time you move up into a new area, everything gets better. Equipment. Missions. Trade.

Trying to build a cash seed or decent ship in the first zone before moving on is pretty much a complete waste of time and a huge grind. It's what I did and wished I hadn't.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Damn, maybe that's why I didn't mesh with the game. I think I did exactly what you said not to do...and I assumed I just didn't "get" the game for whatever reason compared to all the praise it was receiving.
"Some people say never...I just say no"