[Bethesda] Fallout 76

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Brian

Re: [Bethesda] Fallout 76

Post by Brian »

Oh yeah, I'm not saying the game doesn't have faults. It does. By the truckload as evidenced by his and other's videos.

I'm simply saying that I can work with what we've been given and that I'm not trying to make the game something it's not, which is what is generating a lot of the negative reviews.

And for the obviously broken stuff, well, hopefully they will patch out the most egregious stuff soon.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Yeah, my wife and I have been playing together with a couple of our friends, and we all love the game.

The only things that have really bothered me so far look like they are going to get patched in the near future, so I'm happy, and it sounds like the inventory is going to start expanding which is one of my only peeves in terms of gameplay.

Found one cool thing last night in the northern wastes:
Spoiler:
I found a crashed space station! :lol:

It was obviously pretty banged up from reentry, but I was able to find a keycode to access a sealed section, and in it found a spacesuit and helmet.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Brian wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:13 am I'm simply saying that I can work with what we've been given and that I'm not trying to make the game something it's not, which is what is generating a lot of the negative reviews.
I agree with this. Besides, since I won't be playing until after Christmas, there should be a few more patches in place first.

Besides, Strange Brigade has been too polished to give us any funny glitch videos from multiplayer. Fallout 76 should scratch that itch nicely.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Yeah, as buggy as this game is, and as annoying as things like the stash limit are, I can't help but be completely addicted to it. I'm having a blast whether I'm solo or if I'm grouped.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

wonderpug wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:59 pm Yeah, as buggy as this game is, and as annoying as things like the stash limit are, I can't help but be completely addicted to it. I'm having a blast whether I'm solo or if I'm grouped.
I've even gotten over the stash limit. I just don't save anything... in reality I don't need any of that crap I had saved up anyway.

There's no point in saving weapons unless they are level 50 and have top tier bonuses like Two Shot or Explosive.

I *would* like the ability to rename Power Armor Chassis and Weapons. For the Power Armor I have to pull all three sets out to figure out which one is the one I want. Yeah, don't ask why I have three. I really wish I could leave them displayed on their stands, but they teleport back to your inventory after two minutes.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

I don't really know what to think. Based on the way I played fallout 4 this seems a downgrade in every way. I appreciate the idea. I may even get passed my multi player disdain/phobia and interact with the online world.
That being said. It's a beautiful zen way of exploring the fallout world alone in poorly streamed graphics. It's some tangentially endearing story with zero personal stakes.
So I'm enjoying it immensely in bite size bits where I'm not reminded constantly that now I'm handicapped in All of my favorite aspects of fallout 4.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Combustible Lemur wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:30 am I don't really know what to think. Based on the way I played fallout 4 this seems a downgrade in every way. I appreciate the idea. I may even get passed my multi player disdain/phobia and interact with the online world.
That being said. It's a beautiful zen way of exploring the fallout world alone in poorly streamed graphics. It's some tangentially endearing story with zero personal stakes.
So I'm enjoying it immensely in bite size bits where I'm not reminded constantly that now I'm handicapped in All of my favorite aspects of fallout 4.
This mirrors my take on it to a T.
Covfefe!
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:56 amPatch notes for today's update.
With all the hate towards the game, and Bethesda kicking sand at people, I half expected that to just say "We've added 143 new cosmetic items to the Atom Store!"
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I have so many new games that need playing, it hasn't been too hard to hold off lately, but I've been looking forward to letting them get a few patches in place and come back. The game is very playable, but there are still some quest lines that need fixing. Glad they got some of those camp issues fixed with this patch though, as those were high on my list of annoyances.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Sheesh, I haven't gotten it yet, but Green Man Gaming has it for 47% off with a voucher code.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jaskerr

Post by jaskerr »

I've been playing mostly on weekends, only level 32. Something was terribly buggy yesterday when I logged in for the first time post-patch. My CAMP has been at max budget since forever, and that's with only 3 turrets. So with this new patch it showed something along the lines of 50% of my budget was in stored items. I went in and deleted a lot of the walls/roofs I had saved since, but as my stored line went down, the "in-use" line went up. (Not sure if this is clear as mud, or those of you with the game understand what i'm talking about!)

I scrapped everything all the way till I got to food, and somehow the game showed I had over 50+ of each food item listed as "stored". No way in heck did I ever have more than even 5 of each food item stored! So as I started scrapping all of those, same thing, my "stored" line went down, but the "in-use" line kept going up. It makes zero sense whatsoever! One thing I did see after trying to make sense of it, was after scrapping all of that I checked my Stash and it was at 647/600...so all the stuff I scrapped from Stored automatically went into the Stash.

Then, while checking inventory, I had a lot of Aid items duplicated, i.e. two listings of Stimpaks, one with a picture of the item, one without. I spent too much time jacking with my CAMP to even try to figure that out and had to log off for the night.

If everything is still bugged next time I log in, I'll take some screenies.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

I haven't had anything like that happen, but I have had a few bugs. I got stuck in a set of power armor with no fusion core; when I tried to open it, the animation got stuck and a group of Super Mutants walked in the room and blasted me. Of course, I have a perk that uses stimpaks automatically when I hit 30% health, so as I'm sitting there, stuck half-in and half-out of my power armor, my health goes down...then goes back up. Then goes down...then back up. Went through 6 stimpaks like that until I ran out. Tried to escape, tried alt-tab, tried everything but hitting the power button. When I spawned, I was still stuck.

I also have ridiculous load times to start the game on occasion. Like, I can go downstairs to get a drink, make a snack, kiss my kids goodnight, and come back then wait another minute or so before the game loads. Once I'm in-game, everything runs smooth, load times are fine (ten seconds or less for environment changes), but getting in takes forever.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

I think I'm done. Only level 24, but I've maxed my inventory and stash, I have an efficient and productive camp, and I've explored two thirds of the map.
Half of me says 'earn the cost of the the game. The other says' fuck it, the point of a game is fun not slog. I spend as much time managing space in my inventory and looking for repair supplies as I do adventuring. Adventuring is either low level baddies who lag jerkily at me until I get lucky with one shot or level 50s who spawn behind me and take forever and sponge bullets and resources. The quests are obnoxious. There's zero role play aspect to it. The random people I meet either fuck with me and cost me travel time or aren't much more than an npc that doesn't talk.
I really wanted to like this game, but as my wife pointed out the other day, it looks just like playing skyrim (the remastered +mods edition) but with shitty graphics. She's right. A slow burn, long travel, single at a time enemy, occasional random unavoidable big baddie, quiet, atmospheric, chore questing, game. Except skyrim has a super interactive story. And I can play a girl lizard who romances buxom vampire wizards.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Still thinking of reinstalling and remodding Skyrim.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Montag

Post by Montag »

Seeking the handmade rifle plans and willing to pay caps. Also seeking combat shotgun plans, but I think those are easier to come by. Let me know if you are willing. If you have a level 12ish character, I can get you to appropriate vendors via fast travel. There is an odd quirk where the plans will not appear at a vendor with a high level character.
words
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Got this for Christmas and can't even login to my Bethesda account - email address is in use but the Forgot Password link does nothing.

Not a good sign when you can't even get signed in to download the game.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

My Bethesda name is Greybird, by the way.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

How Fallout lost its soul

The nukes! The dang nukes...
-mf
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The four of us - BadDemo on the banjo, me on the dobro, Brian on the drum, and HamSpade on the piano.

Enlarge Image

Me and Brian relaxing on the porch.

Enlarge Image
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Also, Montag - thanks for the leg up the other night!
Montag

Post by Montag »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:50 am Also, Montag - thanks for the leg up the other night!
No problem. I can make those like nobody's business. I have the plans and the material cost is cheap. Let me know when you want a higher level one. I can make them for your buddies as well.
words
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Those were all OO folks as well, so I actually passed them over right away. I'm the long-range/medic in the group. It's Brian who's getting up close and bonking things.
Montag

Post by Montag »

The beauty of the all star bat is it is very light and hits hard. I think strength is the most important special.
words
Montag

Post by Montag »

I am still into this. I have reached level 116 and still desire to unlock some perk cards. I am at the end game of the quests. I have not initiated a nuke launch myself. I finally got a "win" weapon with an instigating, explosive, something Gatling gun. It is pretty sweet.

For those on the fence. They have patched the game to address many of the stability issues. It is still not perfect, but it is noticeably better. I do wish there were NPCs in the game because it does feel empty. Regardless there is plenty of game there. I do like the perk card aspect that allows you to plan for and tweak your character as you go. I switch off between rifles, melee, and heavy weapons as desired.

For those playing, I do recommend going after quality of life perks early. Lead belly level 3, ammosmith, and super duper. I would also highly recommend luck of the draw. It combined with makeshift warrior / gunsmith greatly reduces or eliminates the need for weapon repairs.

My one mistake is I neglected charisma. I am now adjusting my SPECIAL to get 3 charisma so I can share radsponge.

I am looking to play with other people more. Feel free to hit me up in the game.
words
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Montag wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:48 pm I am looking to play with other people more. Feel free to hit me up in the game.
You're on PC, yes? I've not done much yet but am on the PS4, not sure when I'll get back to it but wanted to double-check.
-mf
Montag

Post by Montag »

PC
words
Stefan Stirzaker

Post by Stefan Stirzaker »

Level 36 here, taking it slow. Playing with my dad (he's 69) and we're exploring doing quests etc, enjoying the environs. Most frustrating thing for us so far is the team invites not working half the time and having to relog to get them to work.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm becoming disillusioned with it to be honest. Constant 'lost connection, controls locked' messages. Last night the whole group was getting them every 10-15 seconds. Disconnects. Crashes. Bugs galore (I've lost track of how many things we've dropped or traded that just vanished.)

And we're finding that the game is balanced like a single player game. With four of us? The only time we've died so far, or even gotten close, was when we went up into the 40+ zones at level 12. On-level content isn't even a challenge.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

I stumbled across the news again today about Fallout 76 players who logged in last year have access to the "Fallout Classic Collection" if you install the Bethesda launcher. Never mind I really didn't want yet-another-game-launcher, the kicker is that while this may be applicable to new players of the franchise (although I doubt they'd be interested in such old games), anyone who's a Fallout Fan already owns these. I go back to "Wasteland" and have played everything in this franchise. So... never mind, I'll pass.
-mf
Montag

Post by Montag »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:32 pm I stumbled across the news again today about Fallout 76 players who logged in last year have access to the "Fallout Classic Collection" if you install the Bethesda launcher. Never mind I really didn't want yet-another-game-launcher, the kicker is that while this may be applicable to new players of the franchise (although I doubt they'd be interested in such old games), anyone who's a Fallout Fan already owns these. I go back to "Wasteland" and have played everything in this franchise. So... never mind, I'll pass.
While true, we have a new generation of 20 somethings who would never played the originals. Maybe they will get say 5 of them to try them. I couldn't go back to those graphics.
words
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I got FO2 for free at some point and tried to replay it. The graphics and interface were just too painful. I gave up after half an hour.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

I don't blame you. The beginning of FO2 is such a huge turnoff I'm amazed the series was able to overcome such a crap-ass sequel intro.

I'm not some hut-dwelling savage! (or am I?) Stupid ants! I'm not ant food either!
There is no hug button. Sad!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

We stumbled into a Scorchbeast fight tonight. A level 41 was going up against it, and we joined in. It was 60-something, we were 14.

Left to right (bottom picture) is BadDemographic, Bob, me, and Brian.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Montag wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:49 am
MonkeyFinger wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:32 pm I stumbled across the news again today about Fallout 76 players who logged in last year have access to the "Fallout Classic Collection" if you install the Bethesda launcher. Never mind I really didn't want yet-another-game-launcher, the kicker is that while this may be applicable to new players of the franchise (although I doubt they'd be interested in such old games), anyone who's a Fallout Fan already owns these. I go back to "Wasteland" and have played everything in this franchise. So... never mind, I'll pass.
While true, we have a new generation of 20 somethings who would never played the originals. Maybe they will get say 5 of them to try them. I couldn't go back to those graphics.
I can handle old graphics to a point, but there are some things that are really hard to get past. Imagine going back to a RPG without an auto-map. Gah! And while I understand gameplay was sometimes limited to the hardware, it's hard to double-think your way past knowing how much better games are today to enjoy a simpler experience with your imagination filling in the blanks. I tried playing Wasteland again, but it was just too simple. I ended up watching a dude play the whole thing thing on YouTube with some narration to smooth over the grinding.

I think the Fallouts are still playable, though, graphics and all. I think there are some mods that improve the experience, but I can't recall.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
Montag

Post by Montag »

So now I cannot play. It crashes to desktop after the "press any key.". I have tried the scan / repair. I have done a complete uninstall / reinstall. Still no dice.
words
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Last time we played was great. This time was a nighmare. Every time I'd access a stash, I'd get disconnected, and my character rolled way back. I probably got disconnected ten or twelve times tonight.

This game can be a lot of fun when it works. Too bad Bethesda can't get their act together enough to keep it working.
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

Montag - with all the server disconnect and the server not responding messages, it seems more likely (to me) that the problem is on their end. I hope it gets straightened out.
I also hope our connection problems get fixed.

Other players we've encountered have mostly been helpful. There's a tiny part of my mind that wonders if that's because of all the game and server problems - we're united against the game.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:40 pm I'm becoming disillusioned with it to be honest. Constant 'lost connection, controls locked' messages. Last night the whole group was getting them every 10-15 seconds. Disconnects. Crashes. Bugs galore (I've lost track of how many things we've dropped or traded that just vanished.)
This is my experience as well. So frustrating.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I was fiddling with it today. I'm able to log on to my other character and play without any issues. When I log onto the character I play with OO folks, I get disconnected within a few minutes.

I remember when I used to love Bethesda, before they became such lazy developers.