Marvel's Netflix serieses

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Grifman

Re: Marvel's Netflix serieses

Post by Grifman »

Episode 8 kills it in so many ways. Damn that ending!
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Wow is all I can say. That was one damn fine season of TV. They really killed it with this season. Twists and turns, emotional highs and lows, just a great season. I really don’t know how they can top this one. Loved every minute of it.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
JCC

Post by JCC »

I have only watched this on the 2 Fridays it's been available and have finished 7 episodes. So far this is by far the best season of Daredevil, and this might even supplant Jessica Jones season one as my favorite Netflix Marvel season when it's all over. Looking back I think binge watching season 1 and 2 of Daredevil back to back (I didn't watch DD until after I watched JJ season 1) was a mistake as I had plenty of character fatigue (especially Karen and Foggie). Everyone just seems more likeable now after a break. The show is SO MUCH BETTER with Fisk as the only proper villain and not bogged down with the Hand and other distractions. Fisk is so awesome. They must never, EVER kill Fisk off. There are many logic holes with the whole "Fisk in the hotel" thing, but the story is so awesome, I just can't get worked up over it.

I remain worried about the future of Marvel series, and I really hope they bring Danny, Colleen, and Luke back somehow. But, DD season 3 has been just fantastic halfway though!!
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Grifman wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:05 pm Episode 8 kills it in so many ways. Damn that ending!
Not sure if I missed something, but just finished episode 8 and didn't think it was anything special....
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Almost done with Daredevil Season 3 and it's still the best season so far in my opinion. I breezed through episode 10 last night...

...and by breezed, I mean I fast forwarded through every single minute of Karen's backstory and just watched the last 10 minutes.

I did not want that much background on that character.
Covfefe!
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

I actually really enjoy Foggy & Karen on DD. I think they bring a nice balance to the show. Dont get the foggy & Karen hate. Finished DD 3 the other day and I have to concur that it was pretty damn awesome. Kingpin is great. The actor's rendition is just amazing I find. The way he glares and just kind of grunts his way at times. There is the mixture of menace and tenderness sometimes is amazing. Really fantastic work. Hats off to the actor there.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Newcastle wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:53 pm I actually really enjoy Foggy & Karen on DD. I think they bring a nice balance to the show. Dont get the foggy & Karen hate. Finished DD 3 the other day and I have to concur that it was pretty damn awesome. Kingpin is great. The actor's rendition is just amazing I find. The way he glares and just kind of grunts his way at times. There is the mixture of menace and tenderness sometimes is amazing. Really fantastic work. Hats off to the actor there.
Sometimes it's hard to believe that he gained most of his notoriety playing "Eggar the Cockroach" in the first Men In Black, and Private Pyle in Full Metal Jacket. And although I think it was mentioned earlier, he was the mechanic/Thor in Adventures in Babysitting, as well.
Enlarge Image

HUGE fan of him on DD.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Newcastle wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:53 pm I actually really enjoy Foggy & Karen on DD. I think they bring a nice balance to the show. Dont get the foggy & Karen hate. Finished DD 3 the other day and I have to concur that it was pretty damn awesome. Kingpin is great. The actor's rendition is just amazing I find. The way he glares and just kind of grunts his way at times. There is the mixture of menace and tenderness sometimes is amazing. Really fantastic work. Hats off to the actor there.
I like Foggy a great deal. Karen not so much.

Vincent D'onofrio has become the signature Kingpin, in my opinion. Some people thought he was too quiet and calm, but I thought that was perfectly in line with someone who is supposed to be a master manipulator. You can see why people trust him...up until he betrays them.
Covfefe!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

hepcat wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:13 pm I like Foggy a great deal. Karen not so much.
I haven't watched S3 yet, but I absolutely agree. So far two of my favorite characters in any of the Netflix Marvel shows have been Foggy and Ward. I think both actors have done outstanding jobs giving their characters depth, humanity, and realism.

Karen had some great moments early on. Some of the reporter stuff. But she became a little too much when she was all over the place in Punisher.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Netflix has canceled Daredevil. Daredevil was the best Marvel series IMO, so it seems safe to assume the remaining two series will be canceled after their next seasons as well.

Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

There's only one left, right? JJ?

Cage, Fist and Defenders are all gone already.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Punisher
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Duh. Thanks.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m pretty sure they’ll cancel Punisher and JJ soon. It appears we’re looking at a complete breakdown in the Marvel/Netflix relationship.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

On the whole, it was a good run. I do think we're completely saturated with TV options. I can't even keep up with the Marvel movies, much less these TV shows - as great as they (mostly) are. Sometimes it feels like if I spent 4 hours a day in front of a TV I might be able to catch up on everything in about a year. It feel odd to complain about the wealth of options we've had, but at some point there are only so many hours in a day.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:39 am On the whole, it was a good run. I do think we're completely saturated with TV options. I can't even keep up with the Marvel movies, much less these TV shows - as great as they (mostly) are. Sometimes it feels like if I spent 4 hours a day in front of a TV I might be able to catch up on everything in about a year. It feel odd to complain about the wealth of options we've had, but at some point there are only so many hours in a day.
+1

At least a dozen superhero shows running at the same time, no wonder. And unfortunately for me, the first two I tried watching (Arrow and Iron Fist) were a huge disappointment. I guess I better try some of the other, higher rated ones before they actually disappear from Netflix (forever?), much less be canceled. Way, way upthread we had a discussion about my chagrin with both of those, and some of you kind souls pointed me in supposedly better directions (Luke Cage, JJ, and one other I think).

I need to go find that page and start watching, post haste! :animals-chickencatch:
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I knew this was coming, so it’s not as much of a shock as the Iron Fist and Luke Cage cancellations. Plus, I’m fine with where Daredevil ended, as opposed to the endings for the other series. Especially Luke Cage.

Still, Charlie Cox was so good as Daredevil. It’s a shame to lose that.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

On the plus side, I should finally be able to catch up on Marvel's Netflix serieses... still 2.5 seasons behind.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

msteelers wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:56 am I knew this was coming, so it’s not as much of a shock as the Iron Fist and Luke Cage cancellations. Plus, I’m fine with where Daredevil ended, as opposed to the endings for the other series. Especially Luke Cage.

Still, Charlie Cox was so good as Daredevil. It’s a shame to lose that.
The Netflix announcement said Disney would be doing things with the properties. Maybe they will try to maintain some continuity. (Hey, I can dream!)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Disney is going to do one of two things: as posted earlier, they will be moved to the Disney stream, or they will be put into movies.

What I'm (impossibly, I'm sure) hoping for is that they will free them up to start the movie franchise's next phase. MCU is populated with real humans who, while getting paid very well, either are unwilling or unable to continue the role of a super hero. So, bring in the next crop of actors and run with them for the next decade.

Or until people stop forking over billions of dollars to re-live their childhood heroes on the silver screen.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Hyena wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:56 pm Disney is going to do one of two things: as posted earlier, they will be moved to the Disney stream, or they will be put into movies.
I think the titular heroes from the Netflix Marvel shows had a fairly decent run so I'm somewhat ambivalent about whether the actors playing them reprise their roles. But I certainly hope Disney is able to put Vincent D'Onofrio's Kingpin to good use in other MCU movies/series. He's the best 'supervillain' yet put to screen by far and, as terrific as it was, it'd be an awful shame if the third season of Daredevil is the last we see of him.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

But it’s also kind of the perfect ending for his character.
Spoiler:
Love is a prison.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

msteelers wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:58 pm But it’s also kind of the perfect ending for his character.
Spoiler:
Love is a prison.
True.

But D'onofrio was so damn good, I'd definitely be interested in seeing him reprise the role again.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

S2 of The Punisher is coming on 1/18/19

I'm expecting them to announce it's cancelled on 1/19.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:12 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:21 pmAnd I can find nothing to confirm that they are officially adopted by police or military units. At best, they're morale patches.
The most recent adoption by a police agency (that made the news and that I'm aware of) is here. Not surprisingly, once it went public they were ordered to remove it. You can read about the military's relationship with the Punisher here. It's also a logo that's seemingly been adopted by the Three Percenters as well, which is just gross.

As a fan of the comics, it's one of the reasons I wouldn't ever wear a shirt or hat with that logo - it's taken on a new meaning.
I'm glad the creator shared his thoughts recently in this interview, just ahead of S2 coming:
What are your thoughts on the Punisher symbol being co-opted by police or the military?

I've talked about this in other interviews. To me, it's disturbing whenever I see authority figures embracing Punisher iconography because the Punisher represents a failure of the Justice system. He's supposed to indict the collapse of social moral authority and the reality some people can't depend on institutions like the police or the military to act in a just and capable way.

The vigilante anti-hero is fundamentally a critique of the justice sysytem, an eample of social failure, so when cops put Punisher skulls on their cars or members of the military wear Punisher skull patches, they're basically sides with an enemy of the system. They are embracing an outlaw mentality. Whether you think the Punisher is justified or not, whether you admire his code of ethics, he is an outlaw. He is a criminal. Police should not be embracing a criminal as their symbol.

It goes without saying. In a way, it's as offensive as putting a Confederate flag on a government building. My point of view is, the Punisher is an anti-hero, someone we might root for while remembering he's also an outlaw and criminal. If an officer of the law, representing the justice system puts a criminal's symbol on his police car, or shares challenge coins honoring a criminal he or she is making a very ill-advised statement about their understanding of the law.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Official S2 Trailer:

Awesome use of AiC Would?
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Yeah I'll be watching that.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I need to get caught up. I guess it’s as much Jessica Jones as I can handle tomorrow.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You could just skip JJ if you'd like. It really doesn't connect to any of the other shows in any meaningful way beyond the introduction of Luke Cage in season 1.
Covfefe!
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

hepcat wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:23 am You could just skip JJ if you'd like. It really doesn't connect to any of the other shows in any meaningful way beyond the introduction of Luke Cage in season 1.
Agreed. JJ is my least favorite. She's just not a likeable character. I know shes not really supposed to be, she's got the whole antihero thing going on, but...meh.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Donna wanted to buy me a Punisher skull shirt for many months. Never got it. Dont care.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
JCC

Post by JCC »

Jessica Jones season 1 is fantastic and not to be missed. Jessica Jones season 2 was awful. Take a big pass on that one for now. It may end up being worth watching if season 3 redeems the show.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I thought they’d cancelled JJ season 3, but I guess it made it in under the wire. I’m sure it will get axed before season 4 is announced though. I don’t think we’ll see any Marvel properties on Netflix in the future.
Covfefe!
JCC

Post by JCC »

hepcat wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:58 pm I thought they’d cancelled JJ season 3, but I guess it made it in under the wire. I’m sure it will get axed before season 4 is announced though. I don’t think we’ll see any Marvel properties on Netflix in the future.
Yeah JJ #3 was well into production when the axes started to fall. It's pretty much assumed if not guaranteed JJ #3 will be the final Marvel original series on Netflix.
Black Lives Matter

stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Yep.....I thought the same thing about Punisher S2......
oh wait.....no one else has posted........
well that about sums it up......horrible.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
JCC

Post by JCC »

I haven't gotten around to Punisher season 2 yet. I'm just watching other things right now. So you say it's horrible? I heard initally good things and then steadily worse since its release. Too many reviews have spoilers so I am afraid to research it too much. I liked season 1 more than I expected to. Too bad if the sophmore slump hit Punisher too. I am still bummed at Netflix axing all of these shows even if I understand their (speculated) reasons. I really hope JJ season 3 will send these shows out with a bang and atone for the putrid second season.
Black Lives Matter

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I don’t think it’s horrible. But it isn’t must see tv. I do love the action grunt from Bernthal in every fight.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:I don’t think it’s horrible. But it isn’t must see tv. I do love the action grunt from Bernthal in every fight.
Unlike the hero of a recently canceled Marvel show, Bernthal does do a great job committing violence and mayhem.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He'd make a great replacement Wolverine.
Covfefe!