Super Bowl LIII

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

El Guapo

Re: NFL 2018 Wild Card Round

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:18 am
El Guapo wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:00 pm Also feeling like the Patriots have no real shot against the Chargers.
Welcome to the Dark Side!

I feel our best hope against the Chargers is that they are West Coast headed East and that the forecast is for 30s and possible snow.

Against the Ravens i feel the only hope is that the Patriots run defense has been playing possum all season specifically for this game.

As such, we're doomed. :)
It's also possible that Rivers is cursed. That could do the trick also.

Ravens, I feel like they could win that game.
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Who had the Chargers winning by only scoring field goals? :D
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Who thought that the Chargers would out defense the Ravens?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

The special effect NBC does where they tint the yardage between the line of scrimmage and the first down marker really, really bugs me. (old man rant off)

Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

OMFG.
Hodor.

Post by Default »

Whut???
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

Wow
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

"double-doink"
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The double doink of death.

If I'm the Rams I would much rather play the Cowboys than the Bears.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter

Post by Default »

Jolor wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:56 pm "double-doink"
That ain't looking good on his resume.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The only news I want to hear from the team tomorrow is that he's been cut and permanently banished from the city.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

He’s no Steve Bartman.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

It hasn’t been a good season for kickers. :doh:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:58 pm The double doink of death.

If I'm the Rams I would much rather play the Cowboys than the Bears.
The main reason I would have preferred to see the Rams, I'm in LA so I guess they're my team, play the Bears is because the Bears offense is kind of dead. The Cowboys have playmakers. So assuming the Rams playoff game is a shootout, which I believe all their playoff games will be, then the Cowboys are the ones who have the best shot at scoring tons of points.

This game hints at what I mean. Even with that awesome defense, in the end who marched down to score? The Eagles, not the Bears offense. I'm not talking about the missed field goal. I mean when the game was on the line who got the touchdown? The Bears defense, as good as it is, couldn't stop the Eagles offense the entire game, most of the game yes, but not the entire game. I think the Rams would have done the same thing.
stessier

Post by stessier »

gameoverman wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:23 pm This game hints at what I mean. Even with that awesome defense, in the end who marched down to score? The Eagles, not the Bears offense. I'm not talking about the missed field goal. I mean when the game was on the line who got the touchdown? The Bears defense, as good as it is, couldn't stop the Eagles offense the entire game, most of the game yes, but not the entire game. I think the Rams would have done the same thing.
That's not really fair. The Bears Offense did exactly that - twice! They marched down for the go ahead touchdown and gave their Defense a lead with 6 minutes left. The Eagles used all but 58s to score. Even after that, the Bears Offense still got in position to win the game (for most kickers).
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Re: NFL 2018 Conference Semi-Final Round

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Seahawks may not have given me a late Christmas present, but the Eagles sweater remains on display for another week.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Jeff V wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:05 pm The only news I want to hear from the team tomorrow is that he's been cut and permanently banished from the city.
Tough break for Bears fans, but you shouldn’t blame Parkey on that one. It was tipped at the line. Would have been right down the middle for the win if a reserve Eagles D lineman hadn’t gotten a good push and a deflection.

Also, Bears fans should be optimistic: I think you’ve got some good years ahead of you with Trubisky and Mack.

But for now, Fly Eagles, Fly!!! :D
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
stessier

Post by stessier »

Kurth wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:16 pm Tough break for Bears fans, but you shouldn’t blame Parkey on that one. It was tipped at the line. Would have been right down the middle for the win if a reserve Eagles D lineman hadn’t gotten a good push and a deflection.
It was tipped, but no one knows where it would have gone without the deflection.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

stessier wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:00 am
gameoverman wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:23 pm This game hints at what I mean. Even with that awesome defense, in the end who marched down to score? The Eagles, not the Bears offense. I'm not talking about the missed field goal. I mean when the game was on the line who got the touchdown? The Bears defense, as good as it is, couldn't stop the Eagles offense the entire game, most of the game yes, but not the entire game. I think the Rams would have done the same thing.
That's not really fair. The Bears Offense did exactly that - twice! They marched down for the go ahead touchdown and gave their Defense a lead with 6 minutes left. The Eagles used all but 58s to score. Even after that, the Bears Offense still got in position to win the game (for most kickers).
Which element of the Bears this year was most lauded, offense or defense? The defense right? Which wilted at the end. That's what I meant by saying that's what I think would have happened against the Rams. They might have shut the Rams down for most of the game, but I think the Rams ultimately would have got the points they needed. The Bears offense managed one touchdown in this game, so I wouldn't say calling them dead is unfair. A playoff game...at home, and the offense manages one measly touchdown.
stessier

Post by stessier »

gameoverman wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:29 pm
stessier wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:00 am
Which element of the Bears this year was most lauded, offense or defense? The defense right? Which wilted at the end. That's what I meant by saying that's what I think would have happened against the Rams. They might have shut the Rams down for most of the game, but I think the Rams ultimately would have got the points they needed. The Bears offense managed one touchdown in this game, so I wouldn't say calling them dead is unfair. A playoff game...at home, and the offense manages one measly touchdown.
Ultimately, I don't care - I'm a Pats fan after all. I'm not sure your comments have much basis in reality, though. The Bears Offense had the team in position to win. With better clock management, they might even have gotten that second touchdown. And I don't know about the Defense wilting - they got the Eagles to 4th down to end the game. Sometimes the other team makes one more play. These are all the Eagles drives.

FG
Punt
INT
INT
Punt
--HALF--
TD
Punt
Punt
Punt
TD
--END--

Most teams would love that defense.

What makes you think the Rams could have done better? They didn't even manage a TD a month ago and that was with the benefit of Trubisky throwing 3 INTs. Talk about a dead offense.
stessier

Post by stessier »

In other news, does it sound better in Spanish?

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kurth wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:16 pm
Jeff V wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:05 pm The only news I want to hear from the team tomorrow is that he's been cut and permanently banished from the city.
Tough break for Bears fans, but you shouldn’t blame Parkey on that one. It was tipped at the line. Would have been right down the middle for the win if a reserve Eagles D lineman hadn’t gotten a good push and a deflection.

Also, Bears fans should be optimistic: I think you’ve got some good years ahead of you with Trubisky and Mack.

But for now, Fly Eagles, Fly!!! :D
Funny, there has been almost no mention of the deflection here. I didn't see it either. Will have to look.

In real time, I thought it bounced in. Wife and I were at the Lions game where he hit 4 posts. When they iced him yesterday and he "made" it, the wife was like, "Fuck, he hits the post 50% of the time...here comes a post!"
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

stessier wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:58 pmWhat makes you think the Rams could have done better? They didn't even manage a TD a month ago and that was with the benefit of Trubisky throwing 3 INTs. Talk about a dead offense.
I was responding to the Cowboys or Bears choice of who would the Rams want to play. I don't know that they'd do 'better' but I do think a generally high scoring team has a better shot against a generally low scoring team rather than against another team with the players to put points on the board.

You also seem to overlook the Bears offense getting the ball in the 4th quarter after they scored their one touchdown and had the lead. Seven minutes to go, at home, in the playoffs, with the lead in the 4th, and all they need to do is grind some time off the clock. They don't even have to score again, just burn time. Three and out. The Eagles scored with something like 56 seconds left, imagine if the Bears had managed just one first down on that possession.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

My thought is the Bears already beat the Rams once, and I just don"t think the Cowboys are as good as the Bears.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

stessier wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:26 pm
Kurth wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:16 pm Tough break for Bears fans, but you shouldn’t blame Parkey on that one. It was tipped at the line. Would have been right down the middle for the win if a reserve Eagles D lineman hadn’t gotten a good push and a deflection.
It was tipped, but no one knows where it would have gone without the deflection.
No one knows for sure, but I thought this overhead view matching the path of the ball with the pressure and tip from Hester (90) made a pretty good case:

Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
stessier

Post by stessier »

Kurth wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:44 am
stessier wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:26 pm
No one knows for sure, but I thought this overhead view matching the path of the ball with the pressure and tip from Hester (90) made a pretty good case:
What am I missing? That is good evidence he tipped it - not where it would have gone without the tip. You can't just draw a straight line from where the ball was before the tip to the posts and call it a day.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

The NFL has officially changed Parkey's missed FG to a blocked FG.
Hodor.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

So after a scintillating 1-3 in the wild card round, here are my divisional round predictions:

Colts at Chiefs Colts
Chargers at Patriots Patriots
Eagles at Saints Saints
Cowboys at Rams Rams
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Chiefs beat Colts
Chargers beat Patriots
Saints beat Eagles
Rams beat Cowboys

100% GUARANTEED.
Black Lives Matter.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:23 pm Chiefs beat Colts
Chargers beat Patriots
Saints beat Eagles
Rams beat Cowboys

100% GUARANTEED.
I think the only one that is in question is Chargers vs Patriots. I don't think any of the rest will be close. Chargers/Pats is going to be close. All the talk of Brady's decline is overblown. I pick the Pats to win to jynx you. 110% guaranteed.

(actually I think SD plays mostly mistake free football and wins the only close game this weekend)
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I'd be very worried if I were a Chiefs fan. The Colts have been clicking both on offense and defense for the last, what?, 10 games. Also, first time playoff QBs went 0 for 3 in the first round of the playoffs. Mahomes is better than those other QBs, but it doesn't mean he'll be immune to the pressure.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Chargers beat Patriots
Saints beat Eagles
Rams beat Cowboys

100% GUARANTEED.
I concur.

Chargers/Pats is going to look like Ravens/Pats from the 2009 season.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

How is the Chief's D? I am under the impression that they're success has been mostly an offensive success mitigating defensive failure, suggesting the game will be a shootout. If they game is a shootout, don't you give the edge to Indy's defense?

Week 15 was the most recent defensive ranking I could find, spoiler because it's long.
Spoiler:

Colts Defense

- Seventh in the AFC in total defense (345.3 yards allowed per game)

- Eighth in the NFL and fourth in the AFC in rushing defense (102.9 yards allowed per game)

- Sixth in the NFL in rushing yards allowed per play (3.84)

- Seventh in the AFC in passing defense (242.4 yards allowed per game)

- Fifth in the AFC in defensive red zone percentage (54.1)

- Eighth in the AFC in first downs allowed (263)

- Fifth in the NFL and third in the AFC in yards per play allowed on first down (5.22)

- Fourth in the NFL in most opponent negative rushing plays (54)

- Tied for fourth in the NFL in most opponent negative plays (93)

- Second in the NFL in tackles for loss (80.0)

- Tied for third in the NFL in players with at least 5.5 sacks (3)

- Eighth in the NFL in inside-the-30 percentage allowed (43.8)

- Tied for eighth in the NFL in takeaways (21)

- Tied for third in the NFL in defensive fumble recoveries (10)

- Tied for seventh in the the NFL in forced fumbles (14)

- Tied for seventh in the NFL in fewest plays of 20-plus yards allowed (44)
stessier

Post by stessier »

I just figure the Chiefs have to win at home at some point. :) (Last time they won a home playoff game, Joe Montana was their QB.)

Here are the DVOA ranks after the weekend. Chiefs and Indy are 1-2, suggesting it should be close.

Edit: I misread - they are 1-2 in Offense. IND is 7 in DEF and KC is 17th. But KC is at home and outside. Should be an interesting game.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:05 am
Chargers beat Patriots
Saints beat Eagles
Rams beat Cowboys

100% GUARANTEED.
I think the only one that is in question is Chargers vs Patriots. I don't think any of the rest will be close. Chargers/Pats is going to be close. All the talk of Brady's decline is overblown. I pick the Pats to win to jynx you. 110% guaranteed.

(actually I think SD plays mostly mistake free football and wins the only close game this weekend)
Honestly I don't know much about the Chargers this year, other than having a general impression that they are very good. I think they're probably going to win mainly because this Patriots team is good but not great. The Patriots do have Brady and Belichick and homefield, so I certainly wouldn't be shocked if they won, it's just that that doesn't seem like the likely outcome. I'd say 60% chance of the Chargers winning.
Black Lives Matter.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

For whatever reason, Jesus wants Nick Foles to win. I’m taking the Eagles over the Saints on some last minute miracle.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

It's snowing in Kansas City.
It's raining in LA.
It's doming in New Orleans.
Appears it will be cold and partly cloudy in Foxboro.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Has KC even given up a first down yet? Oof!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Pyperkub wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:33 pm Has KC even given up a first down yet? Oof!
274 total yards to 21. Total domination from the Chiefs so far.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.