Tropico 6

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Sepiche

Tropico 6

Post by Sepiche »

Kalypso's store is offering Steam keys for Tropico 6 for 10% off plus an additional 15% if you use the voucher code: El Presidente.

Picked it up and played the beta for a little while last night. Seems like a lot of the new mechanics from 5 with some polish, and some of the more questionable mechanics redone. Trade routes are a little more useful now, research is for new edicts not buildings, silly family mechanics are gone, they revamped the Swiss account mechanics by giving you useful things to spend it on, etc.

A few interesting new features:
- You can customize the look of your palace
- You can be a female El Presidente
- Instead of one large island, maps seem to be small archipelagos now
- Placement is transparently grid based
- Graphics look much sharper
- You can build a pirate cove in the first era now and send the pirates out for various resources in a nod to Tropico 2

Seems like a good upgrade so far, but I'll post some more thoughts after I've had a little more time with it.
Kraken

Re: Tropico 6

Post by Kraken »

I'm a sucker for Tropico and didn't realize that 6 was in the works. I already have about 6 months of gaming queued up, so I won't buy anything until I get through that...but T6 will surely be on my radar then.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm a sucker for the Tropico series... count me in.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Sepiche wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:58 pm - You can be a female El Presidente
La Presidenta? :D

I usually hop on Tropico instantly. But I have a huge backlog of excellent games. That said, the sale helps.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Played this off and on over the weekend. Enjoying a lot of the little changes and sharper graphics, but keep running into a profitability wall in the second era. I have a number of what should be profitable mines, plantations, and factories setup and exporting goods, but for some reason my expenses were still about 50% more than my income.

I feel like there are some bugs somewhere in the system that are causing goods to not make it to the docks fast enough, or they nerfed profitability in some way. I can understand not making a massive profit from some of those industries, but having all the workers on minimum pay and still not being able to cover costs seems off.

I'll let them get some patching done and take another look in a few weeks.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Got an email from Green Man Gaming, they are offering 20% on both versions of the game, with instant access to the beta. I'm assuming you still have to download it first :roll:

Since the release date is January 24th I was going to pass, but I might be tempted to get it now, since I'll probably get it on release anyway.

Sepiche, have you looked at the beta lately? Any improvements since your last post?
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

They just released the game's first big patch today. I haven't booted it up yet though.
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:46 pm Sepiche, have you looked at the beta lately? Any improvements since your last post?
Seems better now. It sounds like initially there was a bug with citizens getting around, so goods were being made slowly, moved slowly, buildings were built slowly, etc. With that fixed it seems much more balanced. Only just getting close to the cold war era now, but I'll probably keep plugging away at it as time allows.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I got a new email from Green Man Gaming. If you are a VIP member both version of Tropico 6 are available for 25% off. I'm tempted...
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Game is delayed until March 29th. Publisher felt it was not ready for release and wants to continue working on it.
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Lorini wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:11 pm Game is delayed until March 29th. Publisher felt it was not ready for release and wants to continue working on it.
Well, bummer, I needed something to kill time during tax season. Still there's always that next game, whatever and whenever it is :coffee:
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

I bought it in september for early access. I played it for 2 hours tops. My initial impression was that it needed more work and polish. It was very close and very functional. But, I also perused the bug forum and saw some game breaking bugs in my point of view that made me not want to play until those were resolved (namely the people traffic jams). I am glad they are taking the extra time for it.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Well, this is nice. As announced in BluesNews, Tropico 6 has an open beta from now till Friday.
Tropico 6 Open Beta

Kalypso Media announces the launch of an open beta test for Tropico 6, offering a limited-time opportunity to check out the management sequel between now and Friday. You can access the beta through Steam, and a preview trailer accompanies the news with a quick look at the game. Here are the details:
Kalypso Media has opened up the Tropico 6 beta to all for a limited time only, with a multiplayer stress test available now on Steam. Players can get in on all the action now until 18:00 GMT on 8th March, so be quick or miss out!

The Tropico 6 beta offers access to the full tutorial, all eras (modern times only available in the tutorial), 11 sandbox maps, six missions and multiplayer for up to four players, and is available in English, French, Italian, German, Spanish and Russian.

If that’s not all, El Presidente has also decided to launch a huge sale on Steam, with up to 70% off across the whole Tropico franchise, giving budding Tropican historians and completionists the chance to experience the history of the series for themselves or pick up that last bit of DLC they’ve been missing.

Kalypso Media is best known as a publisher of strategy and simulation games, with the critically acclaimed Tropico series the company’s flagship brand. 2019 sees the launch of the latest instalment in the beloved series, with the highly-anticipated Tropico 6 scheduled to release on PC and consoles. The closed beta allows fans and the community to help shape the development of the game and make Tropico 6 the biggest and best game in the series to date.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I played the beta and was pleased to see while they have continued the concept of multiple eras from the last game, it appears that you can stay in each of the eras as long as you wish. I seem to recall from the last game that I was rushed to complete the colonial portion which I didn't like. Otherwise it all looks fun with some nice new features. Also it seems that they have tried to make the political leanings and effects clearer, which I appreciate. I still really have no interest in buying it ahead of time so I can keep playing on the beta, but I'll most likely be picking up the released version on the 29th.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The game comes out at the end of this week and Green Man Gaming has it on sale for 33% off if you are a VIP (which means you have an account there). I think I'm going to pull the trigger and get it, mostly because I've done all the damage I can with The Division 2 and the twin bill of Imperator and Anno 1800 don't come out till the end of next month :roll:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

So Tropico 6 released today, although I'd been tinkering with the beta the past few days. Overall I'm happy with the changes from the previous edition, they seem to have made more information easier to get and understand. On the beta I went through the tutorial missions and one sandbox island (actually group of islands). On the released version I've played more than three hours which got me through the first of fifteen missions, which is the Tropico version of a campaign. It's not really a campaign in the normal sense, you start each mission on a fresh map, but there are custom events and changes to the ruleset and each mission has a focus on certain aspects of the game. They are sort of an extended tutorial. It's not mandatory to play any of the missions or even the tutorials, you can jump into the sandbox mode at any time.

Below is a look at the end of my first mission, which completed when I left the Colonial Era and advanced to the World Wars Era. As is typical in previous editions, you can always continue any of the missions you play indefinitely and you can name and save your savegames. It's a bit blurry at the edges for effect, the game looks nicer.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I look forward to the next Just Cause game. :ninja:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:59 pm I look forward to the next Just Cause game. :ninja:
And you're mentioning it here, just cause? :D :D :D
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Well, when new dictators pop up that need overthrowing...
It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

OK, so I must be liking the game since in the 36 hours I had it since Friday at 1pm I played it for 16 hours :roll:.

I had already done tutorials in the beta, so I did the first of the fifteen missions, as I mentioned above. It was OK and so I started on the second mission, which was set in the World Wars Era and had some contrived story about Prohibition and crime bosses. Basically the story is told through scripted Demands and Ultimatums, which is how the game engine pushes you along to do this and that for rewards and achieve milestones. I was alright for awhile, but eventually it started having demands for dumb things just to move the story along, and of course in its way, act as an extended tutorial. At one point I had a mandatory demand to build three prisons on this little adjacent island. There was no logic for this in my Tropico, I already had a prison, but it was for the point of the mission story. I did eventually finish the mission, but I'm not doing any more for now till I at least do a few Sandbox missions first. I started one last night and now I'm progressing in it.

It hasn't been all stars and sunshine in this first Sandbox Tropico. I got through the Colonial Era alright and was doing OK in the World Wars Era, but to progress I had to get and keep an alliance with one of the two world powers (Axis and Allies). I had the alliance but to keep it I had to complete a raid (part of the new Tropico 6 features) and it had to be done in so many hundreds of days. I must have missed starting the mission for awhile, because as the raid was finishing I realized the countdown timer had almost expired. And in fact it did expire, two days before the raid completed, that after almost 900 days in progress. Because the raid had failed the alliance was canceled and I lost the game because by losing the alliance with one power it was assumed the other world power invaded my little country and I was kicked out of office...

At this point I was about to rage quit the game, but I remembered another new feature added to the game, so I loaded up the last save. There is a character called the Broker who provides various services for some of your Swiss Bank Account money. He unlocks blueprints, influences the various factions in Tropico and does other stuff, including (happily for me) allowing me to buy what amounts to a option to cancel a Demand or even an Ultimatum. And happily I had the price to buy one, so I was able to cancel that Ultimatum. Lesson learned and Sandbox continued.

More later, including screenshots if people want to see them.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Screenshots!!!!!
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

My starting colony of Tropico on the island of Mancha de Tinta at the beginning of the game. Many great things are coming!

My current nation of Tropico. Note the road net connecting the islands in the north.

A view towards the north from near ground level. That's the Statue of Liberty in the distance.

A look at the palace with the Brandenburg Gate on one side and Moai Statues on the other. The Statue of Liberty is offshore behind the camera. Mad King Ludwig's Castle is on the way :D

People protesting outside the palace. Silly people.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

So... there seems to be a really big focus on placing all the world-wonders around the city?
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Played this over the weekend as well, and enjoying it a lot. It really does a great job of taking a lot of the things introduced in Tropico 5 and improving on them significantly.
Unagi wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:17 pm So... there seems to be a really big focus on placing all the world-wonders around the city?
I wouldn't say it's a big focus... it's something you can do, but not required generally.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Sepiche wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:40 pm
Unagi wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:17 pm So... there seems to be a really big focus on placing all the world-wonders around the city?
I wouldn't say it's a big focus... it's something you can do, but not required generally.
Also you can only "borrow" (steal) a max of four wonders in a mission from a pool of about sixteen, four per era. They have various and differing attributes, like bringing in more tourists or limiting the number of extreme members of factions, so they aren't just for decoration. Also they are a source of entertainment for citizens and tourists in their own right.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Few big under the hood changes I've noticed from T5:
- In T5, factories used to need large amounts of high school educated workers to function which meant you had to go easy on how fast and how many factories you build in order for your schools to keep up. In T6, the number and quality of needed workers is much lower, so you should be able to sustain a lot more factories than previously.

- Only rich people can afford cars unless you pass the free wheels edict, so, unless you do that, you'll need garages for rich people, and bus stops for poor/well off people. Buses require a building for the bus, and then you need to place 2 bus stops that the bus will run between. They are great at moving large numbers of people between two points, but, being limited to 2 points, they are much less flexible than cars.

- People really want to live near where they work, but will travel pretty far for services. The preferred strategy seems to be to build housing communities near your production buildings (basically if you see shacks, build housing near them), but have a large, centralized services area with bus/car transit to get people there from their homes. In a nutshell you want people to have to walk as little as possible, so they are working as much as they can, but services cost money, and overdoing it will use up a lot of money and workers who could be making you money.

- Most maps are archipelagos now, not islands. You can build bridges between some islands, and landings to connect them by boat.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I have reached 1989 on my current island. Yes, I know it is really an archipelago, but I'm going to keep saying island :snooty:. I have gobs of money in the bank and have established mines and factories in the southeast hills. Only in the northeast is there still land in which to expand.

The game defaults to a setting of a max population of 2,000. When I crossed over 1,800 a message popped up saying there would be no more immigration to the island due to reaching population saturation and the population counter at the top left turned orange. I suspect that births would start to drop to match deaths and then at pop 2,000 the counter would turn red. In the Gameplay option tab there is a slider to change the max population, which I imagine was added based on the previous games slowing down quite a bit at high populations on older rigs. It's a nice touch that it gives the player the control over the pop limit.

I raised my limit to 3,000 and the game was still running fine as I crossed over the two thousand mark. I'm making lots of money in exports and the people are happy, as are the five superpowers since I keep giving them export deals. I've made all housing free which eliminated the shacks problem. Only the religionists are a bit grumpy but I use my Swiss bank account to buy options to cheer them up a bit :D

And nothing helps keep law and order like a police blimp :D

I did run into a minor issue in game design. Because my island's happiness is several points higher than the Caribbean happiness, immigration was pretty substantial, but because I had Free Housing and spare places to live I didn't notice for awhile that I had a couple of hundred folks who didn't have jobs :roll:. I placed an Immigration Office and changed the setting to limit immigration and that, along will building more places to work, started bringing the unemployment down. And then soon I found I had a couple of hundred vacant jobs :doh:. So back to allowing immigration. I wish there was some message popup that would let me know when I crossed some limit I can set. I'll post that as a suggestion and in the meantime just keep checking my stats.

I may be burning out on this island. The default settings make managing the factions fairly easy if you put in the time to monitor them and in the late game there are enough buildings with tools to take out rebels and criminals so there's no real challenge to my rule. So aside from constantly expanding my developed land there's not much challenge left, unless I decide to add challenges like eliminating elections and otherwise pissing off the populace. I might do something like that instead of starting a whole new island with different settings.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

First DLC released for Tropico 6, Tropico 6 – The Llama of Wall Street DLC
Strategy specialists Kalypso Media and developer Limbic Entertainment have today announced the release of both Tropico 6’s first DLC, The Llama of Wall Street, and Seguridad Social – the seventh free update to the beloved dictator simulator.

Tropico 6 – The Llama of Wall Street adds an array of new in-game features to Tropico 6 such as stock market manipulation. Using the Trade Institute building, players can directly influence the in-game economy by altering the value of goods such as shellfish, tourist fees, or even a dictator’s favourite, uranium. The DLC also adds random economic events. Greased with Arabian Oil sees a hefty tariff added to goods traded with the Middle East and USA, whilst The Brink of Chaos event inflates the value of weapons, canned goods, steel, and other items instrumental to surviving an apocalypse.

The Llama of Wall Street also expands on Tropico 6’s existing content. Alongside the Trade Institute building, the DLC adds the industry-boosting Toy Workshop, and the Smart Furniture Studio. Check out the full feature list below for a run-down of the DLC and the Seguridad Social update.

Also Tropico 6 Update Siete ‘Seguridad Social’ (v.7.0) has been released
A new free update for Tropico 6 is available now!
It contains: the new ‘Warehouse’ building, an additional sandbox map called ‘Rio’, the community-requested ‘Social Security’ edict, plus much more.

Further details below...
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Maybe T6 could break my gaming fast. I installed Cities Skylines a few days ago, but still haven't fired it up.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

A new DLC for Tropico 6, Spitter DLC. Save 15% on Steam if you order in the next few days. Green Man Gaming has it on a deeper discount as well.
It’s all about the fame and prestige. Nobody knows this better than a self-declared despot...uh, statesman, such as El Presidente. Tropico 6’s second DLC skyrockets you into the world of stardom and illustriousness. Interact with superstars by using Spitter, the only short message social networking app officially approved by the Tropican Ministry for Modern Communications & Smoke Signals. Court the stars to gain their support, unlock their individual strengths and in turn receive even more respect and adulation from your subjects. But beware - fame and money can also attract some seriously shady types…
At the heart of the DLC is the new Spitter mechanic, which allows you to interact with celebrities and faction leaders to increase your standing. Use new buildings like the Rehab Center or Beauty Farm to attract celebrities and make them permanent citizens of Tropico. Plus, enjoy even more new content with three new music tracks, additional customization items and a new trait for El Prez.
  • New Spitter Social Media feature: Interact with superstars and faction leaders via a social app, to increase your standing and unlock new special traits of the celebrities
  • New mission and sandbox map
  • 3 new buildings: Lure celebrities to Tropico by building a Rehab Center or Beauty Farm and make them permanent residents using the Super Villa
  • New trait: Narcissist
  • 3 new tracks: Comercio Feliz, La Celebridad, Fiesta en el Club
  • 5 new customization options for El Prez and his palace