Shutdown

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

hepcat

Re: Shutdown

Post by hepcat »

My fear is that we seem to have been at the same levels of support for Trump for a while now, so that means this is it. This is the new norm. This is our country's political demographic going forward. This is how things will play out until we find someone who can cross the aisle successfully...and I just don't see anyone who can do that anywhere.

Trump widened the gap so far it's now irreparable.
Covfefe!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:26 pm My fear is that we seem to have been at the same levels of support for Trump for a while now, so that means this is it. This is the new norm. This is our country's political demographic going forward. This is how things will play out until we find someone who can cross the aisle successfully...and I just don't see anyone who can do that anywhere.

No one was crossing the aisle during Obama's tenure either, hence his use of executive orders.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:29 pm
hepcat wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:26 pm My fear is that we seem to have been at the same levels of support for Trump for a while now, so that means this is it. This is the new norm. This is our country's political demographic going forward. This is how things will play out until we find someone who can cross the aisle successfully...and I just don't see anyone who can do that anywhere.

No one was crossing the aisle during Obama's tenure either, hence his use of executive orders.
It was still more fun when he was holding a leash on a rabid dog, instead of the rabid dog holding the leash on the US.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I think the gap can be breached. Those who follow tRump now do so mostly out of ignorance, hatred, and (in a lot of cases I suspect) sheer bullheadedness. If his support in the Senate erodes those same followers will listen to the new message of his horrible nature and follow their new lead. Since that message will likely be scattered so will their vitriol.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:56 pm I don't actually think Mitch wants to go this route at all as he knows the pendulum is likely going to swing back hard in 2020. Assuming we all survive President Trump, what happens when the next Democrat President declares Health Care or Greenhouse legislation a national emergency and bypasses the stranglehold Mitch has on the process?

The short-term effects of a declaration of emergency powers to build the wall are nothing in comparison to the bigger picture implications for how the whole process operates, imho.
Not going to say that's right or wrong but since when has the worst American ever feared the pendulum or his hypocrisy or consistent inconsistency in thought coming back to bite him legally or otherwise?

Concurred... Sort of... I think we're irreparable from the eldest down to the eldest of the millennial but those born in the late 90s and beyond have hope to become our new better present. I think the best bet for the best of us is try to find a way to peacefully coexist until we die off. The alternatives aren't so pretty.
Remus West wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:35 pm I think the gap can be breached. Those who follow tRump now do so mostly out of ignorance, hatred, and (in a lot of cases I suspect) sheer bullheadedness. If his support in the Senate erodes those same followers will listen to the new message of his horrible nature and follow their new lead. Since that message will likely be scattered so will their vitriol.
I wish and I hope I'm wrong. At this point it sure does seem like our best bet is mitigate the ongoing damage of the gap until the next wave sees it as their obligation to reject the paradigm. I've just seen too many tiger's stripes over the last decade and learned how much I've underestimated not only how us and them we are but I've been dragged kicking and screaming into an us having seen exactly how much power them has seized and wielded for their purposes to have any optimism.
Holman

Post by Holman »

On the age question:

I'm on my phone so I can't quote easily, but just this morning I saw polling (via Nate Silver) that more people in the 30-50 year cohort identify as liberal than conservative.

This is a new pattern. GenX seems not to be aging into conservatism as sharply as the Boomers did.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:14 pm

Concurred... Sort of... I think we're irreparable from the eldest down to the eldest of the millennial but those born in the late 90s and beyond have hope to become our new better present. I think the best bet for the best of us is try to find a way to peacefully coexist until we die off. The alternatives aren't so pretty.

I kind of buy this but kind of don't.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Multiple networks have agreed to broadcast the President's address in real time. Interestingly, multiple networks, including Fox have agreed to give democrats a chance to respond immediately afterward.

Is there a precedent for this? I have no idea. It seems incredible that an Oval Office address is immediately followed by a rebuttal. On the one hand, given the disinformation that is sure to come out of drumpf's mouth, a rebuttal would seem like an ideal response. On the other hand, the precedent has now been set for the immediate dilution of any future president's message to the American people by political opposition. The "You lie!" response is the ultimate in partisan discord without intelligent debate. It sucks.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:35 pm Multiple networks have agreed to broadcast the President's address in real time. Interestingly, multiple networks, including Fox have agreed to give democrats a chance to respond immediately afterward.

Is there a precedent for this? I have no idea. It seems incredible that an Oval Office address is immediately followed by a rebuttal. On the one hand, given the disinformation that is sure to come out of drumpf's mouth, a rebuttal would seem like an ideal response. On the other hand, the precedent has now been set for the immediate dilution of any future president's message to the American people by political opposition. The "You lie!" response is the ultimate in partisan discord without intelligent debate. It sucks.
State of the Union Address is precedent, although there may be others. Opposition party always has rebuttal air time after the State of the Union parade of bullshit.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Has its own wiki page I guess.

The practice began in 1966 when Republican U.S. Senator Everett Dirksen (Illinois) and U.S. Representative Gerald Ford (Michigan) appeared on TV to offer a response to the address by Democratic President Lyndon Johnson.[1] The opposition party's response has varied in format, ranging from a prerecorded 45-minute TV program in 1970[2] to a call-in show in 1972 where a panel of congressmen answered unrehearsed questions from callers.[1] Since the late 1980s, it usually has been a televised speech given soon after the State of the Union address.[1]

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:57 pm State of the Union Address is precedent, although there may be others. Opposition party always has rebuttal air time after the State of the Union parade of bullshit.
Thanks, I didn't know that.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Pffft, a 3.5 over/under. Probably closer to 13.5.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:11 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:57 pm State of the Union Address is precedent, although there may be others. Opposition party always has rebuttal air time after the State of the Union parade of bullshit.
Thanks, I didn't know that.
The FCC's Equal Time Provision requires "that U.S. radio and television broadcast stations must provide an equivalent opportunity to any opposing political candidates who request it. This means, for example, that if a station gives a given amount of time to a candidate in prime time, it must do the same for another candidate who requests it, at the same price if applicable." It does not, however, apply to "news events" (among other exceptions). Is Trump's speech tonight a news event or a campaign speech? I'm guessing the networks don't want to split those hairs.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Still trying to verify this, but have now seen two Twitter-ites who are claiming to have received fundraiser e-mails specifically for tonight's speech.

Grifters gonna grift, I suppose.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

"I need you to step up, Friend."

Where's that vomiting smiley when you need it?
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm sure someone creative will be able to photoshop Hitler quotes into the "Just look at the facts" bullet points provided in this email, because holy shit.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Holman

Post by Holman »

Trump email wrote:I want to know who stood with me when it mattered most[,] so I've asked my team to send me a list of EVERY AMERICAN PATRIOT who donates to the Official Secure the Border Fund.
This is it. This is when it mattered most.

I'm sure the "Official Secure the Border Fund" has no connection to the Trump election campaign, because that would be grift of the highest order.
Trump email wrote:I wouldn't be speaking to you tonight if this [weren't] one of the most critical times in the history of our country. I need you to step up, Friend.
[SIMULTANEOUS BARF AND DIARRHEA EMOJI]
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Holman wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:25 pm This is it. This is when it mattered most.
I wish I could get another zero interest for eighteen month credit card, but my score is temporarily a bit low. Unfortunately, just about everything else is tied up in providing jobs to four people. :cry:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

It sure is funny how someone as rich as Trump says he is spends so much time begging for money.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:25 pm
Trump email wrote:I want to know who stood with me when it mattered most[,] so I've asked my team to send me a list of EVERY AMERICAN PATRIOT who donates to the Official Secure the Border Fund.
What the fuck? That's like blatant extortion. "You want to be on my nice list, just trust me..."

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:48 pm I'm sure someone creative will be able to photoshop Hitler quotes into the "Just look at the facts" bullet points provided in this email, because holy shit.
I'll be very honest, if Trump goes full campaign rally Trump, railing against the Press and Brown people as terrorists (as opposed to Statesman-like President, which I don't think he can even try to pull off), we'll be even closer to a Trumpista Kristallnacht.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:48 pm I'm sure someone creative will be able to photoshop Hitler quotes into the "Just look at the facts" bullet points provided in this email, because holy shit.
"Illegal criminals are flooding our nation." I guess all the legal ones are in the white house.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

So...sounds like he didn't say that he was going to declare a state of emergency to build the wall. Everything else is just rhetoric and bluster.
Black Lives Matter.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Here’s the summary (via Twitter):

“Be fearful. Be afraid. Be afraid of everything I say you should fear. And I alone can save you from the things I tell you to be afraid of. But most of all, be afraid."
malchior

Post by malchior »

The networks gave him prime time coverage to say...the same shit he has been saying all along. Good work everyone. Also oddly he was out of focus. Then Chuck and Nancy awkwardly read statements while crammed behind a too small podium. #americaindecline? #cantaffordbiggerpodium? :o
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I didn't watch it, but he missed a golden opportunity to piss his pants on live TV.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

malchior wrote: #americaindecline?
Why the question mark?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Shade!

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

What was the final tally on number of lies?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:43 pm What was the final tally on number of lies?
Didn't watch but I can answer. All of it.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I really think this was a very very bad move on his part. He pretty much showed that he can't and won't declare a national emergency. It was so pointless. I don't think anyone saw that and was moved one direction or another. The idiots will go along while the rest will wonder when this batshit crazy crap will end. I honestly could see him dragging this on to the next election. That's how little shit he actually cares about harming people.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Octavious wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:30 am I really think this was a very very bad move on his part. He pretty much showed that he can't and won't declare a national emergency. It was so pointless. I don't think anyone saw that and was moved one direction or another. The idiots will go along while the rest will wonder when this batshit crazy crap will end. I honestly could see him dragging this on to the next election. That's how little shit he actually cares about harming people.
Amongst all his other inane BS he literally said today, in blaming Obama for not retaliating in Syria when his red line was crossed (and I'm paraphrasing her), 'that a threat without followup is useless'. And then he asks for money...I'd say 'unbelievable' but then...😕
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
malchior

Post by malchior »

The AP showing its very serious people chops at its best! What's crazy is it is the tweet and the one fact check it is based on that is pure 'both sides-y' - if you read the full piece it is mostly reasonable. It is just the 'fact check' on the Schumer/Pelosi that makes it sound 50/50. I guess that is true if you evaluate every fact in a context-less vacuum. Oy.

Chris Hayes made a comment that seems to nicely capture the tricky terrain that AP stumbled into:

Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I wonder if tweets like that, that add a both sides element that'd not present in the piece they're tweeting about, are entirely due to the habit of rage sharing. The data suggests that people are more likely to share something that they angrily disagree with than something they agree with. If you craft your tweet to imply a both sides thing, suddenly you get people on either side of the divide mad and sharing your tweet. If you make it one sided, you only have one side mad and sharing.

Tl;dr, social media and people are the worst.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Octavious wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:30 am I honestly could see him dragging this on to the next election. That's how little shit he actually cares about harming people.
People are all for it, until it actually starts to have an impact on things they care about. We're getting to the point where "real people" (i.e. not just those lazy government employees and mooching contractors) are being severely affected by this. My guess is that the pressure starts to ratchet up significantly over the next week, especially if the rumored mass TSA "sick-outs" continue or increase.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:54 amespecially if the rumored mass TSA "sick-outs" continue or increase.
I can't imagine TSA agents continuing to show up for work after a month without pay. They're not being paid well enough to have huge savings accounts to sustain them and the bleed off will ramp up until we're doing self-service security at the airports.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Democrats should start hitting Trump on:
- Trump has no blueprints for the Wall
- the Wall is wasteful and costly
- the Wall is ineffective
- the Wall never had the Republican votes to pass
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
stessier

Post by stessier »

Zarathud wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:19 am - the Wall never had the Republican votes to pass
I wouldn't use this one. The Republicans have yet to show any spine when truly pushed on something - I'm sure they could get there if it was to make the Pelosi look bad. The case is still effective without it.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Since it's all about the funding, I would hammer constantly on how Mexico isn't going to directly or indirectly ever pay for this wall.

Saying that Mexico would pay for the wall was:
a) one of the most delicious parts of the rally cry to the rally criers.
b) the absolutely most stupid thing a lot of us had ever heard.

Drive that point home, I say.