I think our warranties are expiring

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Sepiche

I think our warranties are expiring

Post by Sepiche »

There's been so much bad news here lately, so much worse than mine, that I almost didn't post this, but just hoping it might inspire one person to get to the doctor and get checked out when they otherwise might not. To that end, I'll keep this short.

I woke up on 1/1/19 and shortly after had a serious heart attack. 100% blockage of the left anterior descending artery. Luckily, I was sound of mind enough to quickly call 911, I have good healthcare, a strong support network, and after getting a stent that night, and a few days in the hospital, I was released and have been recovering comfortably in my home. My employers are very supportive and I'll be able to rest as long as I wish, although I plan to return to work next week as my job is not strenuous.

In retrospect, the only outward sign I might have seen of a problem over the last few months was I noticed my face was looking a little pale and splotchy, whereas now, after the stent, it looks red and healthy again. Otherwise, I am not overweight, I had no other obvious signs of issues, and the first hint of any chest pains I had was a tiny bit of discomfort before I went to bed the night before.

Although there was some damage to my heart, I am relatively young and healthy, and am expected to recover fully over the next few months. The doctors think it was mostly genetics, but I am still following all of their advice and adjusting my diet and habits accordingly.

It is still sinking in how very, very lucky I was and continue to be.

So please, everyone who posts here I care about, and, even if you feel otherwise healthy, if it's been a while since you've been to see your doctor and have been putting it off, pick up the phone and make an appointment. They are there to help, and I might have avoided a lot of hardship and avoided terrifying my family if had I listened to my wife and at least gotten a checkup.
Last edited by Sepiche on Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Meal

Re: I think our warranties are expiring

Post by The Meal »

Daaaamn. Glad you ended up okay and have a good prognosis.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I'm going to review the service contract and see if there's some sort of renewal fee we can pay.

I'm glad you're doing better... it sounds like an intense event that was handled perfectly. Congrats on the speedy process and recovery!

I've personally known a couple people who've had heart attacks and both survived them with no real side-effects. The last one collapsed in a donut shop parking lot, if that tells you anything. Someone nearby saw the issue for what it was and fed him some aspirin. He got real healthy for a while before he got tired of that and went back to being unhealthy.
Last edited by Paingod on Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Geez, glad to hear you are okay and recovering!

This is one of my bigger fears. Heart attacks run in my wife's family and she lost her father that way. I really don't want to put her through that and my health checks keep coming up clean (and they don't run in my family), but sometimes you just get unlucky.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sepiche wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:15 am 100% blockage of the left anterior descending artery.
Oof, that's where my stent is. Glad they got to it found it and so far things are going well. My doctors call the LAD the Widow Maker as they usually don't see a problem until it's too late. I went through six months of inconclusive non invasive tests and imiaging before it was decided no matter how hard they tried, they couldn't rule out blockage. Finally they did an out patient surgery and would put in a stent if they needed to... They needed to. I was at 85+% blockage, I think. I was out the same day but was home with no strenuous activity for 10 days and now I'm more meds for the rest of my life.

Recover well. I got lucky. Listen to your body and talk to experts with fancy letters after their names.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:25 amI went through six months of inconclusive non invasive tests and imiaging before it was decided no matter how hard they tried, they couldn't rule out blockage. Finally they did an out patient surgery and would put in a stent if they needed to... They needed to.
I've always wondered what symptoms a person might expect before this is a serious (emergency) thing. What drove you to get months of testing that finally resulted in a life-saving stent without first having a heart attack?
Black Lives Matter

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Getting olde can be exciting. I wish you well.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:39 am Getting olde can be exiting. I wish you well.
Fixed that for you. :shock:
Black Lives Matter

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Paingod wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:31 am
LordMortis wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:25 amI went through six months of inconclusive non invasive tests and imiaging before it was decided no matter how hard they tried, they couldn't rule out blockage. Finally they did an out patient surgery and would put in a stent if they needed to... They needed to.
I've always wondered what symptoms a person might expect before this is a serious (emergency) thing. What drove you to get months of testing that finally resulted in a life-saving stent without first having a heart attack?
Extreme fatigue and an increasing inability to do anything strenuous. As it turns out, while needed, the stent did not alleviate these symptoms, getting on a CPAP, while needed, did not alleviate these symptoms. Getting off Humira (four years later by approval of a dubious GI doctor) has done a good job of alleviating the symptoms but now that I'm nearly 50 and have been doing nothing for nearly four years, I'm not exactly back to kicking my heals and moving crap all over and taking care of the business. But I'm stepping in the right direction, I think.

If you're finding yourself getting winded or red faced easier and easier then a EKG(?) on the treadmill is a good place to start. It's non invasive and usually is covered pretty well, especially as our warranties are getting on. You might even be able to get it covered under preventative care instead of diagnostic care, in which case the ACA will demand insurance pick up more of the tab.

I want to say as we become pentagenerains they recommend getting an EKG every five years.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I'm glad you're on the mend. And thank you for posting this; I am terrible about going to the doctor.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

AWS260 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:46 amI am terrible about going to the doctor.
I'm "fully insured" and don't go because the co-pays and lab fees suck, and are annoying. My sister is on temporary disability and thinks I'm mental for not going more often since I'm insured; she has to claw at walls to get what she needs and would wrestle a bear if she could get health care like I have.

Perspectives.
Black Lives Matter

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Paingod wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:05 pm
I'm "fully insured" and don't go because the co-pays and lab fees suck, and are annoying. My sister is on temporary disability and thinks I'm mental for not going more often since I'm insured; she has to claw at walls to get what she needs and would wrestle a bear if she could get health care like I have.

Perspectives.
Let's see if I can throw a little guilt your way. ;)

My take is that as the primary financial provider for my family, I owe it to everyone to get checked out annually. If there's something bad brewing, better to find out sooner than after it's too late to do anything about it. It might be a pain in the butt (well, I get the flu shot in the shoulder these days because I'm a big boy now), but it's part of my obligations as a husband and father.

Things got pushed later than I like this year due to end of the year craziness at my house, but scheduled to go in on Friday afternoon for my yearly check.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:19 pm My take is that as the primary financial provider for my family, I owe it to everyone to get checked out annually.
This. I am a master of procrastinating and avoiding responsibility and as a result I almost deprived my wife of the rest of our lives together.

It was completely asinine of me to be so selfish given all the privileges life has given me.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Paingod wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:05 pm

Perspectives.
We have no co-pays for the annual stuff and thought that was more the norm these days because it helps keep people healthy instead of only going in emergencies. Of course, the money doesn't really make a difference to me, I am just too lazy to go.

My wife lost her dad to a heart problem when she was 12 or 13 so she really wants me to go. My numbers were all really good last time I went and I've even lost weight since then... hell I can still run when I can be bothered to try. It's been almost two years since I saw the doc. I really ought to schedule an appointment.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Wow. Very happy to hear you are feeling better!
And you are right, we all need to take care of ourselves. I'm doing horrible at that, and need to improve.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Glad you're going to be OK.

I just went to the doctor yesterday because my left arm was getting progressively less useful. I whacked my elbow a couple of years ago and it never fully recovered; every few months I'd bump it again, and after the last incident 6 months ago I never really regained the ability to grasp and lift with my left hand -- everything still worked, but it was unbearably painful. Even when it was clearly not getting better on its own, I was reluctant to seek care because you never know what rabbit hole you're jumping into -- I was expecting a $20 copay for the initial consult, $20 for an xray, $20 for followup, and then a potentially endless string of copays for physical therapy...and that was assuming there was nothing seriously wrong, like elbow cancer. But finally I decided that if it ever snows this year, I'm going to have to grasp and lift a shovel, so I'd better see if they can bring it back online.

Turned out it's "just" chronic inflammation impinging on a nerve. Ice packs twice a day and anti-inflammatories ought to fix me up, and if that doesn't work within a few weeks we'll try a cortisone injection. So there's apparently no rabbit hole this time, unless we get to the injection stage and that doesn't work.

But yeah, once you're in your 60s there's no such thing as a routine doctor's visit anymore. Even an annual physical can lead to unexpected treatment for one thing or another. Nothing life-threatening for me yet, but I do seem to be gradually breaking down in interesting ways.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Sepiche wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:15 am There's been so much bad news here lately, so much worse than mine, that I almost didn't post this, but just hoping it might inspire one person to get to the doctor and get checked out when they otherwise might not. To that end, I'll keep this short.

I woke up on 1/1/19 and shortly after had a serious heart attack. 100% blockage of the left anterior descending artery. Luckily, I was sound of mind enough to quickly call 911, I have good healthcare, a strong support network, and after getting a stent that night, and a few days in the hospital, I was released and have been recovering comfortably in my home. My employers are very supportive and I'll be able to rest as long as I wish, although I plan to return to work next week as my job is not strenuous.

In retrospect, the only outward sign I might have seen of a problem over the last few months was I noticed my face was looking a little pale and splotchy, whereas now, after the stent, it looks red and healthy again. Otherwise, I am not overweight, I had no other obvious signs of issues, and the first hint of any chest pains I had was a tiny bit of discomfort before I went to bed the night before.

Although there was some damage to my heart, I am relatively young and healthy, and am expected to recover fully over the next few months. The doctors think it was mostly genetics, but I am still following all of their advice and adjusting my diet and habits accordingly.

It is still sinking in how very, very lucky I was and continue to be.

So please, everyone who posts here I care about, and, even if you feel otherwise healthy, if it's been a while since you've been to see your doctor and have been putting it off, pick up the phone and make an appointment. They are there to help, and I might have avoided a lot of hardship and avoided terrifying my family if had I listened to my wife and at least gotten a checkup.
Jesus, no sh-t. *sighs*.

Glad you're doing okay.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im glad you got help right away and Im sorry it had to happen. My wife had 3 of her four blocked and that 4th was semi. I have no idea how she was alive. She had bad arrhythmia and such. After bypass surgery she was better than ever. 5 bypasses. She lived until this stroke stole her away from me. Me Im hoping my warranty is expired and Ill go soon. I know its morbid but thats how I am now. Id be happy.

But you being young and married and life ahead Im very glad its all turned out well. Remember this when you skip doing something with the wife or sit around when you could be at a restaurant or something. Time seems long but it is very very short. But it can also be very very sweet.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:34 pm My wife lost her dad to a heart problem when she was 12 or 13 so she really wants me to go.
My paternal grandfather died from a stroke when my dad was 14. He survived the Battle of the Bulge in WW2 but couldn't beat biology. My dad had a minor heart attack in his mid 50s and now has about 6 stents. I went to his same cardiologist two years ago as a way to just start monitoring things knowing the genetic deck was stacked against me and sure enough at the age of 43 I already had evidence of hardening in the LAD. The cardiologist was actually surprised but I've been on a few different meds since then to stop it from progressing.

By way of another example, my mother was randomly diagnosed with Afib back in March of last year. After getting her stable, they were getting ready for ablation surgery back in the fall. As part of preparation and in trying to get all her other medical tests completed, she went for an annual mammogram - something she's been doing for decades but actually considered skipping as she's 73. Well, as it turns out she was in the early stages of breast cancer and ultimately went under the knife back in October. She's been undergoing chemo since November and is about to finish that next week with radiation to follow through February.

As bad as it's been (and it's been pretty bad), it's still better than what could have happened without early detection and treatment.

Go and get checked. A message to you and everyone reading.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I'm terrified of pain so I go to the doctor to get checkups when I'm supposed to. Not superficial temporary pain but like cancer or a stroke or something like that. And with my emphysema I have to be very careful about my lungs and getting colds. The co pay is not too bad and I feel more comfortable after having the appropriate tests done.
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The Meal wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:18 am Daaaamn. Glad you ended up okay and have a good prognosis.
+1.

Plus, I'll just add that we need you around to simplify any future insanely complex builders or other games of that nature for us. Please stay.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:15 pm Plus, I'll just add that we need you around to simplify any future insanely complex builders or other games of that nature for us. Please stay.
I dunno about builders but if there ever comes another Dwarf Fortress, I'll need someone to hold my hand to make the game UI friendly enough for me to be able to play and enjoy.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Glad to hear you are going to be ok!

My doc cuts off my meds if I don't go twice a year, and lab results don't indicate anything is terribly amiss aside from parts have already failed (pancreas, thyroid). Massive deductible and a wife that runs the kids to the doc for every little sniffle means there is no budget to take care of other ailments (specifically, mine). I've not gone to the eye doc in 5 years, since i because of diabetic retinopathy I need to see an expensive specialist. My left (dominant) hand is nearly useless now - 3 months ago I got a steroid shot for trigger finger and the effect lasted less than 2 months (supposed to be a year) and it requires surgery. A few weeks ago I started getting a strangling pain and was nearly unable to take off my wedding ring. According to the internet, the cost of the surgery ranges from hundreds to thousands, my guess is will be somewhere around $1000 done in an orthopedic office and not a hospital or surgery center. And my lower denture is making eating rather unpleasant - my dentist says what I need is similar to that "Clear Choice" that advertises all over the place. Just the lower denture with the friends and family discount on his portion of the work (which isn't much) still has an estimate as high as $25K.

And my wife wonders why I'm in such a shitty mood of late.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Holy shit, glad you're OK.

And thanks for the reminder to go get a checkup. I've put it off for a few years now (only doc visits have been to the Instacare for bad colds and such), and keep meaning to do it. Will make a more dedicated effort.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i have to say getting the full blood panels at physicals might have saved me from early death. an AST/ALT test my doctor prescribed found out that i'm in the early stages of liver disease (NASH) which pretty much has no symptoms. note that i barely drink alcohol....it's a crummy genetic metabolism disorder. had to go see a hepatologist and everything. i need to act NOW to prevent future cirrhosis. my regret is it wasn't discovered earlier.
MHS

Post by MHS »

So scary! I'm really glad to hear that it was a positive outcome, and I hope your post encourages people both to take their health very seriously, and to get themselves to a doctor if they think there's even a chance they might have an issue that needs examination.

Take care of yourself!
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Glad you're ok Sepiche! I've had my fears too, and am planning to schedule my annual physical soon.

by any chance do you have Dominions 5? maybe we need to do a Dominions 5 comp-stomp in honor of your recovery (you should play one of the undead sides ;) ).
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Wow, Sepiche! I'm glad you're ok. Scary times. Your story certainly makes me appreciate the fact that I a check-up schedule about a month from now. While I haven't been getting in to see the doc annually, I've been getting better about than when I was younger.

Rest up and feel better! And thanks for sharing your story.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I am glad you came thru okay Sepiche. My brother went thru what you have described. He had a stent put in 15 years ago. He changed his diet, tried doing the gym thing but that didn't pan out. He isn't obese or anything, I think he just liked cooking rich food too much.

I had my annual every 3-4 years check up just a few weeks ago. Everything was fine but he wants me to get a heart ultrasound because I have a little noise there. Nothing serious though as he said it is pretty common. I also am being set up with a dermatologist because of a mole he said probably should be looked at. The holidays has delayed that one.
Black Lives Matter
MHS

Post by MHS »

This is also a really scary thread for me because I am very concerned about heart disease. Because of my kidney failure, they can’t do any tests involving contrast dyes. I saw a cardiologist when my triglycerides were up over 500 and they put me on a statin, but the cardiologist just said we should assume I have heart disease but that the EKG’s and other tests that don’t involve dyes all looked fine and he doesn’t want to run other tests because they’re too invasive for me. So...I guess I just assume that the million tests they run every month to make sure my kidney transplant is working ok would pick up if stuff was going south for my heart. I don’t really know what other options there are. And I realize heart disease is less common in women but my dad did have a quadruple bypass and I have had very, very high blood pressure (because of the bad kidneys) for 25 years. :shrug:
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

MHS wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:08 pmI don’t really know what other options there are. And I realize heart disease is less common in women but my dad did have a quadruple bypass and I have had very, very high blood pressure (because of the bad kidneys) for 25 years. :shrug:
This was the test I had a few years ago Calcium score. I think it was $100 out of pocket after my cardiologist prescribed it. Again, he did it on me expecting to get a baseline for future comparisons and instead it revealed I already had calcium hardening. My blood pressure was also elevated, but my cholesterol levels are super-human. Regardless, I'm on all kinds of pills now and I should probably drop more weight than I have. I share on the off-chance the test is applicable for you (or anyone else).
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Me and the wife both had bad cholesterol. She took her meds and hers in normal...well was normal...shit. Me I never took my medicine because of fear of that muscle wasting disease. Had high BP and took meds but ran out over a year ago. But all last year my BP was perfect. Me and Donna both stopped our thyroid meds 2 years ago. Visits and money and pills just overwhelmed us.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
MHS

Post by MHS »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:17 pm
MHS wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:08 pmI don’t really know what other options there are. And I realize heart disease is less common in women but my dad did have a quadruple bypass and I have had very, very high blood pressure (because of the bad kidneys) for 25 years. :shrug:
This was the test I had a few years ago Calcium score. I think it was $100 out of pocket after my cardiologist prescribed it. Again, he did it on me expecting to get a baseline for future comparisons and instead it revealed I already had calcium hardening. My blood pressure was also elevated, but my cholesterol levels are super-human. Regardless, I'm on all kinds of pills now and I should probably drop more weight than I have. I share on the off-chance the test is applicable for you (or anyone else).
Thanks, I’ll definitely ask about this!
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Here some months back I had to stop taking some of my medicines. I just couldn't afford them all. I'm hoping I dropped the ones of least consequence. I talked it over with my doctor before hand. He wasn't too happy about it.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I figure they prescribe twice as much as you really need because they know everybody only takes half the dose.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

I woke up on January 2nd w/ the right 1/2 of my mouth numb.

After determining I was not likely having a stroke, ended up going to urgent care later in the day - have bells-palsy (inflammation of the 7th cranial nerve - in the lower jaw). More or less paralyzes the right side of my face (can't blink, can't close right eye alone (fortunately it will close if I close both eyes, can't smile on that side, etc).

I was somewhat happy with it not being a stroke and all, but annoyed as prior to the last month or two, the last 16 months have sucked (many issues for me/family). Was hoping for a better year.

Then I read all the bad stuff happening to people on this forum and think "DAMN! I got off so easy!" So... thanks for that???

Glad you came out of this OK!
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Glad to hear you're recovering well Sep. That's scary.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I'm just going to go ahead and cancel 2019 if it's going to have this kind of attitude.
Black Lives Matter

stessier

Post by stessier »

With the excellent title, I think this is going to become the catchall malady thread.

Toward that end, I stepped on a sewing needle on Saturday. Went about 1/4"-3/8" into the ball of my foot and bent. I pulled it out, but the consensus was I needed a tetanus shot. The irony is I hate needles. It took me about an hour to convince myself to go to urgent care and another hour to be seen even though there was only one other patient in the room. As I was called, another guy was leaving - turns out he had put a 3" nail through his wrist with a pneumatic hammer - managed to miss everything important though! (They let him keep the nail.)

But back to me. The nurse took my BP and it was 154/96. Did I mention I hate needles? When the Dentist took it in mid December it was 119/72...at the Dentist!! When I take it at home, it's between 120/80 and 112/68. I really hate needles. Anyway, you may be shocked to learn that the shot really wasn't all that bad - hurt way less than pulling the needle out of my foot. My arm was sore until Tuesday, but only to the level of "annoying" and not actually painful. Considering my last booster was sometime in the 90s, this was probably for the best.

So I've got a 5 year extension on my warranty!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

MHS wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:33 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:17 pm
Thanks, I’ll definitely ask about this!
I just got one of those done recently. At Boulder Range Preventive Imaging (www.boulderscan.com). I'd gotten one a few years back somewhere else. My physician recommended BRPI; he said their equipment is better. They were running a special, so I also had a APP screening. They basically do some sonographic imaging of the arteries in your neck. Apparently there are correlations between those and the ones to your heart. The two together were $270.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.