So.....my dad died

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Remus West

So.....my dad died

Post by Remus West »

He had been diagnosed a decade ago with Lewy Body Dementia and had been in decline ever since. At the end he was non-verbal and I got a call from my mother telling me I needed to come right away. My sister had a flight landing about an hour before mine and was going to rent a car and wait for me then we would have driven together. Unfortunately fog closed our destination airport and our flights were rerouted to different airports. I rented my own car though and drove through the fog to my mom and dad's house. He opened his eyes when I got there and hugged him. He seemed to be trying to speak but it just came out as a heavy breath. I had two days with him before he passed late on the 15th of December. I have been unsure each moment since then if that was the moment I would again erupt in tears. This is easily the most emotionally painful thing I have ever experienced. I feel lost most moments like a small child alone in the mall of the world. He was my hero and the greatest man I have ever known.

My father was born during the great depression. His father literally dug ditches along the Ohio interstates. Dad enlisted in the Marines and used the GI bill to go to college. The first person in our family to do so. He went on to earn a PhD in Tax Accounting and teach at the University of Michigan for 26 years. He worked for and against the IRS in multiple tax cases as an expert witness. He retired to Hawaii then returned to the mainland when his illness really took hold. He and my mother were married for 58 years and he doted on her for every one of them. He gave all his children every opportunity we could ever have asked for as well as doing the same for multiple family members both blood by marriage through the years. I am terrified of the world without my dad but determined that I will work to contribute in a manner he would have been proud of.

I waited to post this year and debated doing it at all because I have posted so much less recently but needed to write down some of my current struggle . OO has meant a lot to me socially (pretty ironic considering how few of you I have actually met in RL) over the years and for some reason I wanted you all to know.

I miss my dad.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Paingod

Re: So.....my dad died

Post by Paingod »

I'm sorry for your loss. He sounds like a remarkable and great person, and the world is a little less bright for his passing.
Remus West wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:07 pmOO has meant a lot to me socially (pretty ironic considering how few of you I have actually met in RL) over the years and for some reason I wanted you all to know.
I'm in this boat. I have no social life outside of my home life - wife, kids, mother, sister - and OO is where everyone I care about outside that tiny shell lives now. I don't know where I'd be without this forum and the excellent people here.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ah man Remus, I'm so sorry. I hope the memory of the good times you had with your dad help you through this trying time. :(
Covfefe!
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I'm really sorry to hear this. Losing a parent is tough, but at least you had many years together and a life full of memories.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'm so sorry.
Black Lives Matter.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

So sorry to hear that. :cry:

My wife's mom also has Lewy Body Dementia, about 4 years into the diagnosis.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Sorry to hear, Remus. I'm not looking forward to the inevitable day for my folks.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Really sorry to hear this Remus.
I lost my dad back in 2002. Seems almost like yesterday in some ways, and also seem like a long time ago.

The lost child in a mall... You nailed it. I know exactly what you mean.
sigh...
Thinking of ya.

Post by Default »

My dad is an asshole. There will be no tears for him when he dies, other than possible group effect tears. You are a fortunate man, and I envy you your relationship.

My sincerest condolences for his loss, and may the memories of your dad shine brighter through the years.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

As I've said before, I'm not glad that my parents are dead, but I'm glad their deaths are behind me. Losing one's parents is heartbreaking, and you have my condolences.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

I am so sorry for your loss.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im so sorry Remus. Im not sure I should post or not. Im in a terrible place too so I can understand your thoughts and emotions. All that life ...so special...and then gone in a blink. Im very sorry. 2019 is horrible! I wish I could help you. All we want is for our lives and peoples and things to stay around and be as they have always been. We cant change it and I know it must bother you...its killing me. I wish you well and hope you have people close to be with and talk to. Ill pray for you and your family.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

So very sorry for the news, Remus. My condolences for your loss. It is good to remember the strength and memories of our loved ones, so thanks for sharing.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Sorry Remus. :(
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

So sorry Remus. We lost my dad a little over a year ago, and I know how bad it can hurt.

Glad you got to see him before the end.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
funnygirl

Post by funnygirl »

I'm deeply sorry for your loss, while being envious of your obvious love and respect for your father. Like Default's, my own father was undeserving of respect. I often wonder what kind of person I would be had I had a more positive influence growing up, and I hope that despite a lack of role model, I have been a parent deserving of regard.

I hope that your pain and sorrow are soon lessened by wonderful memories.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

I'm sorry for your loss Remus. I wish I had other/better words.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Like a couple of others have mentioned, I never had a relationship with my father. My parents divorced when I was ~8 years old. I haven't seen him since I was ~11. And only spoke briefly once after that. While I won't miss my father, just from your description, I feel like I miss your father. He sounds like a wonderful person and a terrific father. I am definitely a little envious. Of course, that just makes your loss that much deeper and more difficult to handle. I'm glad that you were able to spend some time at the end with him. Four of five siblings were in the hospital when my mom passed. I often wonder if it bothers my brother that he wasn't there. I hope that it brings you some comfort to have been there. I'm sorry for your loss.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My condolences, Remus.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I'm so very sorry.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

It is so great that you had a good relationship with your dad. It must be really tough on you and your family. I am so sorry for your loss.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I so very sorry to hear about your loss. My mom has been quite sick over the last year, and although her prognosis is excellent it's definitely changed the way I see my parents.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your story and I do hope you find strength and comfort in the memories.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I'm so sorry, Remus. He sounds like a wonderful man.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Sorry to hear of this.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

funnygirl wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:22 pm I'm deeply sorry for your loss, while being envious of your obvious love and respect for your father. Like Default's, my own father was undeserving of respect. I often wonder what kind of person I would be had I had a more positive influence growing up,
Sometimes a negative role model is as valuable as a positive one. Wife spent much of her life striving to be the opposite of her mother, and it made her an awesome person. Although she never loved her mother beyond grudging filial obligation, she did shed some tears when my MIL died -- not so much for who she had been, but for who she could have been but never became (if that makes sense). Even a bad parent can be a good influence.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Oh man, my condolences. So sorry Remus.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Terrible way to go.

My condolences to you and your family.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Sorry to hear this man. This is place is sad these days.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I am sorry to hear about your loss. Dementia is a tough thing to deal with.

My dad was pretty much dementia free until his final two months. He broke a hip and after the surgery really was never the same mentally.
Black Lives Matter
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

You have my condolences. My wife's aunt is fading away from the same illness. It's a tough way to go, but, at least, there are moments of near normality and joy, and a chance to say goodbye.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Remus, sorry for you loss, I lost my father about 1 1/2 years ago so I can empathize. Your dad and mine sound very similar I they looked out for and aided family members. I'm glad you got to spend some time with him at the end. You and your family have my prayers.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Remus, I really wish you the best man. I lost my dad 11 months ago, and the pain is still there each day. I am still mindfucked over it. I miss him each and every day. I think about issues I wish I could talk about him, bounce ideas off of, and get guidance in general and that voice is gone. Best I can do is honor is memory and trudge forward. I wont say it gets easy, but you get use to it. One of the neighbors I spoke with nailed it in that "its a wound that will never heal". Youre a smart guy, am sure you'll figure it out. But if i can help in any way, drop me a PM.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
MHS

Post by MHS »

I'm so sorry, my friend. I still can't talk about my dad without tearing up and he died 18 years ago next month (wow, I can't believe it's been that long). I hope for you that the happy memories tide you over through the grieving. Sending love and strength.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

My condolences, Remus.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

As I told me sister on the phone tonight as we talked about dad. Im usually ok and then some night Ill think of dad and fishing or something and Im sitting crying then for a small spurt. Dad died in 2002. Hugs buddy.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Thank you for sharing. In some ways my dad is similar to yours (similar age and early life) and your post makes me even more conscious of how lucky I am to still have him in my life (as do the other comments about fathers who were absent or negative). I'm sorry for your loss.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Very sorry for your loss, Remus. :(
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

I'm very sorry for your loss, Remus.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Very sorry for your loss.

When my dad passed unexpectedly 17 years ago (can't believe it's been that long), my hero died as well. I idolized my dad and all I ever wanted was to be like him.

The pain doesn't go away, you just seem to tolerate and handle it better on a daily basis. Looking back now, I have such a deeper respect for my dad and the life he led and the example he set for me and my brother.

Your father to you sounds like what my dad was and is to me. You have my condolences my friend.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

I'm sorry, man.

I just went through a divorce of 17 years and I don't think I could have made it without the support of my dad.
"Some people say never...I just say no"