The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Holman

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Holman »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:19 pm Just a normal cabinet meeting with visual aids-

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 08531.html
And of course what's so shitty and stupid is that in GOT "Winter is Coming" is a bad thing, the greatest threat to human peace and survival.

Trump is aligning himself with the amoral undead zombie White Walkers. Winning!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

malchior wrote:I'm also seeing reports he compared the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan to our invasion. In the sense, they went in to stop terrorist attacks. Uh, what? Also, sounded like he was making noises about pulling a similar move to Syria. This will go well.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:19 pm Just a normal cabinet meeting with visual aids-

Undoubtedly that's a limited edition poster signed by he president himself and sold by Trump Holdings to the American People for only middling 5 figures. Its "use" in the meeting probably legitimizes the purchase.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Really looking forward to reading about how this administration's inability to get anything done over the last 2+ years is suddenly the fault of the House Democrats.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

They've been obstructing since day 1 by not voting against American interests at every turn. We all know that.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:44 am

Undoubtedly that's a limited edition poster signed by he president himself and sold by Trump Holdings to the American People for only middling 5 figures. Its "use" in the meeting probably legitimizes the purchase.
Maybe he could create a wall-themed one with proceeds going to the wall.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:06 am
malchior wrote:I'm also seeing reports he compared the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan to our invasion. In the sense, they went in to stop terrorist attacks. Uh, what? Also, sounded like he was making noises about pulling a similar move to Syria. This will go well.
Of all the lunacy that's come out of this administration, this has to take the cake. At least until next week...😕

This is almost treasonous, seriously. He has to be being fed this bs from vlad or vlad's people bc we know damn good and well that trump doesn't have a clue about why that war started. Doubtful trump can even find Afghanistan on a map after 2 years of presiding over a war there.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:28 pm

Something like this?

Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Is weed legal in DC?

Just curious.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

GreenGoo wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:49 am Is weed legal in DC?

Just curious.
Ish
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:38 am
GreenGoo wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:49 am Is weed legal in DC?

Just curious.
Ish
The amount of times I smell weed while walking down the sidewalk in DC has increased greatly in recent months.
Hodor.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Trump said a lot of wacky things today - he for instance argued that a steel wall was going to work because the Dems hate concrete. However, he said something that really points out that McConnell is really letting Trump slide on appointees.

Edit: The thread is really great but I wanted to highlight the second tweet below. Threading is messing with that so enjoy the Syria post as well.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

No, whatever do you mean, Mr. President? Your thoughts are so deep and intricate, it's hard for children who haven't developed language skills yet to comprehend.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Foreign policy based on who hates who more is so Trumpian.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Alefroth wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:45 pm Foreign policy based on who hates who more is so Trumpian.
It's grade school politics. If we're generous, early high school.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

GreenGoo wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:22 pm No, whatever do you mean, Mr. President? Your thoughts are so deep and intricate, it's hard for children who haven't developed language skills yet to comprehend.
Every Sunday while i watch MTP, my 5 year old struts around the house and in the deepest voice he can muster chants, "I'm Donald Trump!"

I keep telling him he's too smart.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

So, AT&T saved $20 billion on the tax scam, er, cut. They used that savings to...let me check here...send 10,000 US jobs overseas. Wait, that can't be right!

Is this MAGA? Is everyone else sick of winning yet?
Telecommunications giant AT&T eliminated more than 10,000 U.S. jobs last year and outsourced some of those positions to contractors overseas, the Communications Workers of America (CWA) said in a report released Monday.

CWA for months has raised questions about AT&T's layoffs following the 2017 tax-cut law, which the union says resulted in roughly $20 billion in tax savings for the telecom company.

"Iconic U.S. telecom giant AT&T received an unprecedented windfall from the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017, which President Trump signed into law in December 2017," CWA said in its report. "But despite this massive boost to its profits, the company is choosing to undercut and offshore American jobs."

CWA estimated that AT&T has eliminated 10,700 jobs across the country, saying the cuts have come by way of closing or shrinking dozens of call centers. The union said AT&T is replacing U.S. workers with low-wage contractors overseas.

"Despite its strong financial position and promises to invest in its American workforce, AT&T has shifted much of its employment away from good, family-supporting jobs and towards a low-wage model that undermines the quality of its customer service and its standing as a good corporate citizen," CWA said in its report.
But they gave all their US employees $1,000, so we're good now...right?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Firms that move their data overseas should be subject to strict and punitive penalties for any privacy breach.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Max Peck wrote:
Alefroth wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:28 pm

Something like this?

Enlarge Image
Yeah, but the other three walls will be made if bars. :)
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

https://www.newsweek.com/ellen-eric-tru ... ent-769296

You know they kind of jokes we make from watching algorithms...
Left-leaning comedian Ellen DeGeneres must be part of a “deep state” conspiracy, President Donald Trump's son Eric said on Twitter Tuesday night, after apparently misunderstanding how social media works.

The heir to the Trump real estate fortune made the assertion by tweeting a screenshot of which accounts the company's algorithm suggested he follow, including the Twitter streams of Hillary Clinton, former President Barack Obama and Ellen DeGeneres.

“Shocking,” Trump tweeted. “Once again, here are the @Twitter ‘suggestions’ of who I should follow. #DeepState.”
malchior

Post by malchior »

Signs his base is starting to crack a little? Probably not but I'm less than astounded that the message is that Trump should be hurting *other people*. If this is an example of "Western Civilization" that Trump should be saving...let it die. :roll:

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

“I voted for him, and he’s the one who’s doing this,” she said of Mr. Trump. “I thought he was going to do good things. He’s not hurting the people he needs to be hurting.
I'd love to get an honest answer about who they think he "needs to be hurting".
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:14 am
“I voted for him, and he’s the one who’s doing this,” she said of Mr. Trump. “I thought he was going to do good things. He’s not hurting the people he needs to be hurting.
Anyone who doesn't match that person's specific social and economic profile, I expect. Probably anyone more than three shades darker than they are.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Paingod wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:34 am
Anyone who doesn't match that person's specific social and economic profile, I expect. Probably anyone more than three shades darker than they are.
Or, more likely, just a poor choice of words from someone unused to speaking to the press and finding themselves in a very bad situation created by their own vote.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
malchior

Post by malchior »

Remus West wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:45 am
Or, more likely, just a poor choice of words from someone unused to speaking to the press and finding themselves in a very bad situation created by their own vote.
I think that is a *very generous* read. Her comment suggests it is a complete thought with little wiggle room.
malchior

Post by malchior »

A similar quote elsewhere.
"If this did not impact my household directly, I'd tell him to stand tall because something needs to be done," Willard Jenkins said of the president and a barrier at the border. "But because it does and it impacts my wife and me, if this continues we wouldn't have a paycheck. I hope there is some kind of agreement, some kind of settlement because it's directly impacting me. But I definitely understand where Donald Trump is coming from."
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

malchior wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:00 pm
I think that is a *very generous* read. Her comment suggests it is a complete thought with little wiggle room.
She may have merely been thinking he wasn't supposed to be hurting people working for the government, or in her area, or simply just not her. There is nothing to suggest, from that comment, that she meant anything racial. Given the type of people supporting him I have not issue with being aware of the possibility. I just find myself wanting to find something good in those folks right now. Even if it is simply the desire that he stop hurting people.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

malchior wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:10 pm A similar quote elsewhere.
"If this did not impact my household directly, I'd tell him to stand tall because something needs to be done," Willard Jenkins said of the president and a barrier at the border. "But because it does and it impacts my wife and me, if this continues we wouldn't have a paycheck. I hope there is some kind of agreement, some kind of settlement because it's directly impacting me. But I definitely understand where Donald Trump is coming from."
I think a lot of us feel the same way about issues we want something done on though. If we don't pay the price of making a stand then we fully support the stand. Seems fewer and fewer of us are willing to make that stand AND pay the price ourselves.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Remus West wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:11 pm
malchior wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:00 pm
She may have merely been thinking he wasn't supposed to be hurting people working for the government, or in her area, or simply just not her. There is nothing to suggest, from that comment, that she meant anything racial. Given the type of people supporting him I have not issue with being aware of the possibility. I just find myself wanting to find something good in those folks right now. Even if it is simply the desire that he stop hurting people.
It would be easier to be interpret this generously if Trump hadn't run his campaign and stoked his rallies on the promise of hurting people. Sometimes it was overt, sometimes it was couched as "Taking Our Country Back," but there was never any doubt that Trump was promising to (at the very least) take something away from certain fellow Americans that his followers disliked.

It needn't be taken as exclusively racist, but the large set "People Trumpers Hate" definitely includes groups (e.g. "urban criminals," "welfare freeloaders," immigrants, BLM, etc) almost always coded as dark of hue.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I'm certainly not arguing that race played an exceptionally large part in gathering his base and in the core of it. I am simply suggesting that we need to not immediately color everything his followers say with that crayon because there are those among them that remain there because our coloring habits rather than their own really true beliefs. Anecdotal evidence doesn't really prove much but I do know a few folks that saddened me by voting for him and remain supportive of him because we (the non-tRump America) turned so hard against them for it. They feel like we won't let them out of his orbit so why not embrace it.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The problem is that "I'm not racist, some of my best friends are black" exists.

There are plenty of people that don't believe they are racist but are motivated by racism anyway, they either don't know it or refuse to admit it (to themselves as well as others).

Which is not to say that everything a supporter of drumpf does is because of racist reasons, but it does mean they really need to work harder to make us believe them.

As has been discussed multiple times before, if one guy in a large group supports the same things the large group supports, and the majority of that group supports those things because of racist motivations, is it really so unfair to paint the single outlier in that group as part of the group anyway? Who's responsibility is it to identify that tiny minority of non-racists in a sea of racists?

Hanging out with racists and saying the same thing racists say but for non-racist reasons is a bad idea if you are going to take offense at being called racist.

For the record, this phenomenon is not unique to racism, or even the right. The #metoo movement is a very positive thing, but any sort of analysis of the details of what's going on can be seen as questioning its validity. Worse, if some #metoo'ers are not genuine or sincere, trying to identify them publicly will almost certainly result in being tarred and feathered.

Nuances are not mankind's strong point.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Remus West wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:44 pm I'm certainly not arguing that race played an exceptionally large part in gathering his base and in the core of it. I am simply suggesting that we need to not immediately color everything his followers say with that crayon because there are those among them that remain there because our coloring habits rather than their own really true beliefs. Anecdotal evidence doesn't really prove much but I do know a few folks that saddened me by voting for him and remain supportive of him because we (the non-tRump America) turned so hard against them for it. They feel like we won't let them out of his orbit so why not embrace it.
Fair. Funny enough I didn't interpret her remarks towards race. Though it is plausible and I'd get why people would make that assumption. However, I don't even think it matters. She is wishing harm on those not in the tribe and that is flat out wrong - no matter who the target is.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

malchior wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:29 pm
Remus West wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:44 pm I'm certainly not arguing that race played an exceptionally large part in gathering his base and in the core of it. I am simply suggesting that we need to not immediately color everything his followers say with that crayon because there are those among them that remain there because our coloring habits rather than their own really true beliefs. Anecdotal evidence doesn't really prove much but I do know a few folks that saddened me by voting for him and remain supportive of him because we (the non-tRump America) turned so hard against them for it. They feel like we won't let them out of his orbit so why not embrace it.
Fair. Funny enough I didn't interpret her remarks towards race. Though it is plausible and I'd get why people would make that assumption. However, I don't even think it matters. She is wishing harm on those not in the tribe and that is flat out wrong - no matter who the target is.
Or maybe she wish harm on the criminal and other bad guys that hate USA, not patriot citizens of USA like her.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

If there's no money for The Wall, why should there be any money for disaster relief?

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

never mind that re: "Forest Management", California sets the bar.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
It is unclear, based on the tweet’s wording, if Trump already directed the Federal Emergency Management Agency to withhold funds or if he would be doing so. FEMA representatives did not immediately respond to a request for comment Wednesday morning. An email sent to them generated this automated reply: “Due to the federal funding hiatus, we are not able to respond to general press queries.”
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

malchior wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:29 pm
Personally, I assume she didn't mean to hurt other people. She wanted something from the 'drain the swamp' type promises he made. Hurting the government elements that were bleeding our country of the great things it should be doing.

Some Trumpers are just those people... and gullible, and perhaps surrounded by racism to a degree that Trump's drumbeat didn't unsettle them any.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:06 pm WaPo
It is unclear, based on the tweet’s wording, if Trump already directed the Federal Emergency Management Agency to withhold funds or if he would be doing so. FEMA representatives did not immediately respond to a request for comment Wednesday morning. An email sent to them generated this automated reply: “Due to the federal funding hiatus, we are not able to respond to general press queries.”
based on the wording... sounds like he put it on FEMA to determine if California is doing enough to deserve the money.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Unagi wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:59 pm never mind that re: "Forest Management", California sets the bar.
Or that the Federal Government manages by far the most forest in California (~55% versus ~40% or so owned by aggregate private individuals and the balance to various authorities). What a malevolent and idiotic clown.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

malchior wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:11 pm
Unagi wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:59 pm never mind that re: "Forest Management", California sets the bar.
Or that the Federal Government manages by far the most forest in California (~55% versus ~40% or so owned by aggregate private individuals and the balance to various authorities). What a malevolent and idiotic clown.
Which is why need to make public lands public! Once we make public lands public hunter and fishers (and mining and lumber and livestock) will take care of the land after we sell it to them behind closed doors. As long as you keep public lands from the public this will continue.