Safelink free phone stuff

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Safelink free phone stuff

Post by Daehawk »

I thought it important enough to start its own thread so I could learn what I can and solicit opinions.

Me and my wife have a Safelink cell phone. Its a free phone for the household that comes with 1000 min a month. I can change plans too or use a different phone.

Its a household phone but it was gotten in her name and she passed away Jan 3.

Im hearing from some of you guys that I cant keep it and need to tell them. I had no idea and bought 500 more minutes for $14. I plan to call them in a week or so when Ive used some of those minutes. Dealing with them is a small hell as its ALWAYS India.

I CANNOT lose this phone or the number we have. EVERYTHING we have or have done is connected with this phone number for the last 3 years. We dont have a landline.

Anyone know if Ill get into hot water over using it a week or two after her death and what happens? And will I be able to keep the number?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
stessier

Re: Safelink free phone stuff

Post by stessier »

Just started reading up on it, but I found this:
SafeLink Wireless Service is funded by the Universal Service Fund LifeLine program and administered by the Universal Service Administrative Company. In order to qualify for enrollment in the SafeLink Wireless Program, a person must meet certain eligibility requirements where the SafeLink Wireless Program is offered. These requirements are based on a person’s participation in a state or federal support program(s) or by meeting certain income requirements based upon the Income Poverty Guidelines as defined by the US Government. Federal law limits the availability of the LifeLine Benefits. Federal law permits only one LifeLine benefit per household (which is defined as any individual or group of individuals who live together at the same address and share income and expenses). Applicants for the SafeLink Wireless Program must complete an application form, provide supporting documentation that they meet the eligibility requirements and certify, under penalty of perjury, that they:

• Are eligible for and currently receive benefits from the public assistance program(s) identified in the application form, or that they have income at or below the designated eligibility level.

• Understand they may be required to recertify their continued eligibility at any time, and that failure to recertify will result in the loss of their benefits.

• Do not currently receive LifeLine support for a telephone line serving their household and no other resident in their household participates in the LifeLine program.

• Will notify SafeLink Wireless by calling 1-800-SAFELINK within 30 days if they no longer qualify for any of the public assistance programs identified in their application form, no longer meet the criteria for income eligibility, if another member of their household receives LifeLine benefits, or if they no longer qualify for LifeLine for any other reason.
I would say you have a week. I don't know that I'd push it though.

Edit: On second thought - you said it was your wife's phone, right? This is kind of scary -
TracFone Wireless and SafeLink Wireless reserve the right to cancel the enrollment of any customer and/or permanently deactivate any customer’s SafeLink Wireless phone for fraud, misrepresentation or other misconduct as determined solely by TracFone Wireless. While participating in the SafeLink Wireless Program, a customer shall not be permitted to sell, rent, give away or in any way allow another person to use the cellular phone or SafeLink Service provided to him/her by SafeLink Wireless. IT IS A VIOLATION OF FEDERAL AND STATE LAW TO SELL OR GIVE AWAY THE SAFELINK WIRELESS PHONE OR SAFELINK SERVICE PROVIDED TO YOU.

Any violation of this prohibition will be reported to the appropriate legal authorities for prosecution. In addition, if TracFone determines, in its sole discretion, that a SafeLink Wireless customer has violated these prohibitions, TracFone Wireless will the permanently de-enroll the customer from the SafeLink Wireless Program, their phone will be permanently deactivated and the customer’s personal information will be permanently flagged so that the customer may not re-enroll in the SafeLink Wireless Program in the future. If you have any questions, concerns, comments or complaints regarding the SafeLink Wireless Program or Service, offerings or products, please call SafeLink Wireless Customer Care at 1-800-SAFELINK. You may also contact your state’s Public Service Commission/Public Utility Commission.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
stessier

Post by stessier »

This is how you qualify for the program -
How do I qualify for SafeLink Wireless®?
The Lifeline program is available to eligible consumers in selected states and territories. Actual requirements vary by state, but in general to qualify for Lifeline, subscribers must either have an income that is at or below 135% of the federal Poverty Guidelines, or participate in one of the following assistance programs:
  • Medicaid
  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) Food Stamps
  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
  • Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8)
  • Veterans and Survivors Pension Benefit
If you qualify for SNAP, that may be the fastest way to confirm you qualify for this. Otherwise, the poverty guideline is $12,140 for one person as of Dec, 2018. So 135% of that is $16,389. If you make less than that, you should also be good.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Spouses and domestic partners are considered to be part of the same household.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

He's fine using his spouse's phone, it's considered "a household". You are actually not allowed to have more than one SafeLink phone per household.

Also, Daehawk probably still qualifies for the benefit, but he would have to re-certify (provide proof of receiving gov't assistance programs, etc.)

Oh, and apparently Safelink sucks. But you can port your number from them if you decide to switch to another Lifeline phone service, just like if you were switching between regular carriers.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:23 am
Spouses and domestic partners are considered to be part of the same household.
Yeah, re-reading I just saw that. Thanks for being faster (as always). :)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:D

Glad to be of assistance.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Post by stessier »

gilraen wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:24 am He's fine using his spouse's phone, it's considered "a household". You are actually not allowed to have more than one SafeLink phone per household.

Also, Daehawk probably still qualifies for the benefit, but he would have to re-certify (provide proof of receiving gov't assistance programs, etc.)

Oh, and apparently Safelink sucks. But you can port your number from them if you decide to switch to another Lifeline phone service, just like if you were switching between regular carriers.
If he really gets 1000 min/month free, I'm not sure he can get a better deal. I checked Assurance and Access and they only offer 250-350 min/month free. Although this also says Safelink only offers 350 min/month, so maybe it's a bit outdated.

But if your link is correct and he can't talk and listen at the same time, he could easily survive on the lower amount as his phone calls should take half as long. :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im most worried about keeping our number and this cheap ass phone I never liked but couldn't part with now.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

As long as you've got a reliable internet connection, have you considered Google Voice? I believe it's free and lets you make calls with your computer.

This may let you stop burning up paid minutes and reserve those for emergencies.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

No. Wouldn't help when Im in town doing stuff and such. But will keep it in mind. If I have to lose service for a few days or something while they switch this over or something Ill need something
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:22 pm No. Wouldn't help when Im in town doing stuff and such. But will keep it in mind. If I have to lose service for a few days or something while they switch this over or something Ill need something
He is not suggesting that you replace your cell phone with Google Voice. But if you are calling banks or lawyers or whatever (from home) and sitting on hold for an hour - wouldn't you rather be using free VoIP instead of just throwing away minutes on your cell phone plan?
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

gilraen wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:00 pm
Daehawk wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:22 pm No. Wouldn't help when Im in town doing stuff and such. But will keep it in mind. If I have to lose service for a few days or something while they switch this over or something Ill need something
He is not suggesting that you replace your cell phone with Google Voice. But if you are calling banks or lawyers or whatever (from home) and sitting on hold for an hour - wouldn't you rather be using free VoIP instead of just throwing away minutes on your cell phone plan?
That's it exactly.

Calling the cable company? VoIP
Calling a lawyer? VoIP
Calling a state agency? VoIP
Calling a 800 number support line? VoIP
Calling roadside assistance? Cell
Taking calls from family? Cell + "I'll call you right back" on the PC if you can.

Just advocating being frugal with minutes if you're paying for them. I've stressed over minutes before, and the last thing you need right now is extra stress. Using a VoIP line from Google means you can spend as much time as you need talking without a nagging voice in the back of your head telling you to keep looking at the clock.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

FWIW, the entry-level plan from Republic Wireless is only $15 for unlimited talk and texting. You also have the choice of adding 4G LTE data for an optional charge, or you can just use Wi-Fi-only data to maximise every bit of value out of the plan.

If you're curious, you can use their Number Transfer Checker to find out if you can transfer your existing number to their service.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

VOIP is only "free" (vs using minutes) if you're on Wi-Fi for Internet connectivity. If he's out and about, it will be a hit against his data plan, if he even has one.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:49 pm VOIP is only "free" (vs using minutes) if you're on Wi-Fi for Internet connectivity. If he's out and about, it will be a hit against his data plan, if he even has one.
with Google Voice, one just needs a microphone attached to ones computer, but note no one mentioned taking the PC out of the house. Safelink phones don't support Wi-Fi calling anyways.
ok, listen - this is an easy way to get the phone access problem solved (at home, at least) - unlimited free domestic calling is pretty nice. and signing up for it is also free. you can also associate the number later with Obi or some other VoIP hardware to get a landline for almost nothing. https://voice.google.com/
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hmm I posted a few days ago about this in her stroke thread....forgot about this one. Here is a copy paste.

The phone is taken care of I think. I hope. I was told I have to apply for me own account and approval. If I get it I can keep the phone and number. I tried online and it is all set up for a smartphone and them to send a SIMM card for it. I called and talked to a guy who walked me through it all. I should be approved within a week. He said when the SIMM arrives simply call Safelink back and tell them I want the SIMM info transferred to the phone Im calling from instead. So maybe that will work. I may be forced into a smartphone within a year or so.

Hope Im approved fast. Service he said would end on this Jan 31. I remember helping Donna sign up and get this phone. 2013. Another little piece of her gone :( ...a piece here a piece there another piece and another...thats how I feel. She would not be so bothered I do not think.

Site shows...

QUALIFIED

Your account is approved for LifeLine benefits. You will receive your benefits within 7 to 10 business days from the qualification date.
Process step history

JAN-2019

Qualified (your order is in process)

Qualified

Qualified (your order is in process)

Documentation Required

Pending

.......I uploaded the paperwork online...should be anytime. BTW this phone is 1000 free min and free texts all the time. And something else. Cant recall.
Last edited by Daehawk on Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This is Donna's now.. :( :(

My Application
CANCELLED

Your account is cancelled. Please check the information provided to find more details on the cancelation reason.
Process step history

NOV-2013

Documentation Required

Pending

DEC-2013

Qualified

Enrolled

AUG-2014

Qualified

Enrolled

MAY-2015

Qualified

Enrolled

MAR-2016

Qualified

Enrolled

SEP-2017

Pending State of Tennessee Certification Approval

SEP-2018

Pending State of Tennessee Certification Approval

JAN-2019

Cancelled