Shutdown

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Pyperkub

Re: Shutdown

Post by Pyperkub »

hentzau wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:22 pm "I need you to step up, Friend."

Where's that vomiting smiley when you need it?
I'm pretty sure you missed the fine print based on yesterday‘s developments:

* If You wish to be removed from this mailing list, please contact Vladimir Putin, c/o the Kremlin
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Octavious wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:30 am I really think this was a very very bad move on his part. He pretty much showed that he can't and won't declare a national emergency. It was so pointless. I don't think anyone saw that and was moved one direction or another. The idiots will go along while the rest will wonder when this batshit crazy crap will end. I honestly could see him dragging this on to the next election. That's how little shit he actually cares about harming people.
Yeah, but will the Cult of Trump go to his website and declare their loyalty by sending him money instead of wasting it on that gofundme campaign that he has not yet usurped? Will it keep them motivated to ignore the market drops and declarations from corporate America that it's time to uproot and go somewhere else?

He is a pied piping conspiracy savant and conning for grift (is grift the right word when you con millions?) is what he has spent his lifetime getting good at. The problem with those who are going along was revealed in 2016. The problem is there are a whole fucking lot of them. 1/3rd of voting a nation (at least) willing to give their life savings to political equivalent of a megachurch televangelist who is afraid for their political souls.
Last edited by LordMortis on Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Too bad they couldn't fit in that this was essentially another money grab for him.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Hey, at least he didn't declare martial law - I count that as a win.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:07 am Yeah, but will the Cult of Trump go to his website and declare their loyalty by sending him money instead of wasting on that gofundme campaign that he not yet usurped?
I sell the things you need to be
I'm the smiling face on your T.V.
I'm the cult of personality

I exploit you still you love me
I tell you one and one makes three
18-1™ & 2-0
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

It really is the perfect song for his presidency, his continual campaign, and our nation.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Trent Steel wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:03 am
LordMortis wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:07 am Yeah, but will the Cult of Trump go to his website and declare their loyalty by sending him money instead of wasting on that gofundme campaign that he not yet usurped?
I sell the things you need to be
I'm the smiling face on your T.V.

I exploit you still you love me
I tell you one and one makes three
Haven't listened to that in a while. To YouTube!
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:33 pm Shade!

Ratings.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:22 amHaven't listened to that in a while. To YouTube!
Watch the performance on Arsenio. I remember watching it back when it aired and being blown away. The best is when he rolls out into the audience. Seriously....everyone is so confused and I think a bit scared. Kinda like how I've felt since 2016.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:24 am

Ratings.
I didn't watch precisely because of this. WOW knows my TV habits. TiVo knows my TV habits. I don't want that aggregation of data to encourage this stuff. If it were important, I'm sure I could have gone back later. But his the "preview" about the crisis of border security plus his MAGA website bagging for money to acknowledge who was with him when it counts, pretty much told me the cartoon network was the better call.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:48 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:24 am

Ratings.
I didn't watch precisely because of this. WOW knows my TV habits. TiVo knows my TV habits. I don't want that aggregation of data to encourage this stuff. If it were important, I'm sure I could have gone back later. But his the "preview" about the crisis of border security plus his MAGA website bagging for money to acknowledge who was with him when it counts, pretty much told me the cartoon network was the better call.
I was painting minis with Raiders of the Lost Ark playing in the background. A much better decision.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hentzau wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:06 pm I was painting minis with Raiders of the Lost Ark playing in the background. A much better decision.
Nice. I think I should have had your evening. Only I suck a painting minis and the effort doesn't relax me, it frustrates me. Maybe one day (he says as both his eyes and his coordination get noticeably worse every year)
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:48 am I didn't watch precisely because of this. WOW knows my TV habits. TiVo knows my TV habits. I don't want that aggregation of data to encourage this stuff.
Isn't this overly paranoid?
Hodor.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

TheMix wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:38 am Too bad they couldn't fit in that this was essentially another money grab for him.
Mentioned on Last Word with Lawrence O'Donnell yesterday (can't find the clip now): Right after his speech Trump sent out a letter asking his base to donate ASAP to “Build The Wall”, but in fine print the money goes to Trump’s Re-election Campaign.

Also NYT is reporting that Trump's advisers are "happy" with the address - because he was controlled in his delivery and didn't stray from the teleprompter. Which apparently is the new standard for the Oval Office address: can the POTUS read from the teleprompter without stumbling and/or throwing a tantrum.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:16 pm
LordMortis wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:48 am I didn't watch precisely because of this. WOW knows my TV habits. TiVo knows my TV habits. I don't want that aggregation of data to encourage this stuff.
I'm not paranoid about it. It is what it is. It might be overly sensitive, as is my refusal to shop at WalMart. I don't think there will be any repercussions to my not watching but there will be one less person showing they tuned in for all the aggregators that track these things.

Me being overly paranoid is that I have no urge to own SmartTV that can turn its mic on and getting all I get all wide eyed when I read about smartphones in meetings that seem to link advertising to what has been discussed behind closed doors 30 minutes prior. My largest failure to reconcile comes from the fact that I surf the internet and have my reading and writing aggregated as well as analyzed for targeted advertising all day long every day as part of the cost of using the Internet.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:38 am
Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:22 amHaven't listened to that in a while. To YouTube!
Watch the performance on Arsenio. I remember watching it back when it aired and being blown away. The best is when he rolls out into the audience. Seriously....everyone is so confused and I think a bit scared. Kinda like how I've felt since 2016.
I remember this performance too. I didn't remember that crowd of stiffs though. :lol:

There is an old guy in the crowd who looks like his soul might have left his body during this performance. THANKS OBAMA.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

So to summarize:

Trump: "WAAAAHHHH"
Pelosi and Schumer: "Simmer down, junior"
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
The Trump administration had promised to help farmers like Boyd, those who suffered as a result of the international trade war after Chinese purchases of soybeans — once 60 percent of the market — plummeted to next to nothing. With farmers on the edge of ruin, the U.S. government offered $12 billion in support since September, checks that had become a lifeline.

But with the government shutdown moving into its third week, Boyd was left waiting for his support check to arrive. Other farmers who still must have their crop totals approved by the government to receive aid were left with no way to apply for it.

The delay has been the latest blow to a soybean farming community of more than 300,000 that has suffered steep price declines and bad weather, leaving some to contemplate switching crops for the coming year — or getting out of farming altogether.

U.S. Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue said Tuesday that the government would extend the application deadline for the second round of support payments beyond the Jan. 15 deadline due to the shutdown, while urging Congress to pass a bill Trump would sign to “end the lapse in funding so that we may again provide full services to our farmers and ranchers.”
Businesses also are bracing for new challenges shipping their products overseas. A few dozen exporters discovered over the weekend that the government’s electronic system for approving exports was not working, said Peter Friedmann, executive director of the Agriculture Transportation Coalition. The system appeared to have been fixed as of Monday morning.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

So immigrants are just blowing through border checkpoints in their Fury Road deathmobiles?

Crazy that we never hear about this.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Holman wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:59 pm

So immigrants are just blowing through border checkpoints in their Fury Road deathmobiles?

Crazy that we never hear about this.
They need to hire this guy. He probably has the right mindset for the job...

Enlarge Image
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

LordMortis wrote:
I'm not paranoid about it. It is what it is. It might be overly sensitive, as is my refusal to shop at WalMart. I don't think there will be any repercussions to my not watching but there will be one less person showing they tuned in for all the aggregators that track these things.

Me being overly paranoid is that I have no urge to own SmartTV that can turn its mic on and getting all I get all wide eyed when I read about smartphones in meetings that seem to link advertising to what has been discussed behind closed doors 30 minutes prior. My largest failure to reconcile comes from the fact that I surf the internet and have my reading and writing aggregated as well as analyzed for targeted advertising all day long every day as part of the cost of using the Internet.
+1

Your phone is ALWAYS listening.

Last night I was hulu'ing msnbc, and it logged me pause/ close the app off at 8:04, and log back in at 8:14. If enough other people did the same across a multitude of platforms maybe the networks will think different next time.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Combustible Lemur on Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

How so? This is exactly how data is aggregated and mined. I have no idea about WOW or TiVo specifically, but that method is exactly how it's done. It's not paranoia if it's actually happening. Whether you (global you) care that it is happening or not is a different story.

My smart TV is not connected to the internet for reasons that are well documented.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

malchior wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:07 pm I remember this performance too. I didn't remember that crowd of stiffs though. :lol:

There is an old guy in the crowd who looks like his soul might have left his body during this performance. THANKS OBAMA.
Holy crap, I couldn't imagine a more white audience, and I live in a country that is 80+% white!

Talk audience/performer mismatch, and I'm not referring to their colours. Stiffs is an understatement.

Then again it is Arsenio.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:36 pm So to summarize:

Trump: "WAAAAHHHH"
Pelosi and Schumer: "Simmer down, junior"
Fox News: "Pelosi, Schumer spark laughs on social media for 'angry parents' rebuttal to Trump address"
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

OrangeSuit wrote:unbelievable vehicles... stronger, bigger, and faster vehicles than our police have, than ICE has
He's recently watched Fast & Furious (#4 in the series). In this one, drug cartels use supercars to run under border defenses.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:27 pm I have no idea about WOW or TiVo specifically
I've read my EULA for TiVo, they're pretty straight forward about their data collecting and sales.

I've not read about my WOW EULA specifically but now that you ask

https://www.wowway.com/docs/wow/documen ... policy.pdf

spoilered because I am not taking the time to clean up pdf copy and paste
Spoiler:
The kind of information we collect with our cable system and equipment
When you use our interactive or other transactional services such as video on demand or Onl
ine Content, for example, our systems and
equipment may automatically collect certain information about your use of these services. Most of this information is not per
sonally
identifiable information and it is simply used, for example, to carry out a parti
cular request you make using your remote control, set
-
box, DVR, computer, remote access device or other equipment. This may include information required to change your television
channel,
review listings in an electronic program guide, pause or fast fo
rward through certain video on demand programs, or invoke a calling
feature for our phone service, among other things. It may also include other information such as the time you actually use ou
r services
and the use of other features of our services, and w
hich menus and menu screens are used most often and the time spent using them.
In order to carry out a particular request you make to watch a pay
-
per
-
view program or purchase a product, service, or feature, for
example, our system may collect certain perso
nally identifiable information. This information typically consists of account and billing
-
related information such as the pay
-
per
-
view programs or other products, services, or features ordered so that you may be properly
billed for them.
In addition, our
cable systems may also collect anonymous
, de
-
identified
and/or aggregate information using set
-
top boxes and other
equipment. Anonymous information does not include (or has been stripped of) information that could be used to identify you. W
e or our
suppli
ers may collect, use and store this information to determine things like which programs are being watched and which are most
popular (including things like the number of times a program is watched per date, the average length of time a program is wat
ched a
nd
how many people watch a program to its conclusion), whether people are watching commercials, as well as other audience
-
measurement
focused information, for example. As described further below under “Use of your personally identifiable information and CP
NI,” this type
of anonymous information may be used by us for any reason and shared with affiliates, partners and other third parties, inclu
ding
advertisers, content providers, data companies, ratings agencies, audience measurement and market research firm
s. We generally use
this information to provide the services that you subscribe to, and for other purposes that may include but not be limited to
improving
our cable television service and other services, providing you with more relevant programming, adver
tising and features, increasing the
value of the services, providing you with information or offers about products or services that we believe may be of interest
to you,
enabling you to search for programming that interests you and recommending programming
to you based on your past viewing, or
assisting third parties with media, programming and content planning and purchasing efforts. We, or third parties working for
or with us,
may also use this information to distribute relevant programming and advertisin
g to you without disclosing personally identifiable
information about you to programmers or advertisers. Some of these programs or advertisements may invite your participation,
which
you can accept or decline by using your program guide commands or by foll
owing any special instructions on your video screen. We or
third parties (such as audience measurement firms, market research firms and data companies) also sometimes combine anonymous
and/or aggregate viewing and other information with additional demograp
hic information (such as census records, gender, marital status,
age, income, education and occupation, for example) and may use or share it with others for purposes such as audience analysi
s,
programming, marketing, advertising and other purposes. We will
not provide third parties that are not involved with the provision of
services to you with personally identifiable information about you unless we have received your consent first, except as requ
ired or
permitted by law.
When you visit or use WOW!
websites and applications, we may collect information about your interactions within the website or
applications, including where you browse, what you search, and any purchases you make within those sites and apps. We also ma
y
collect device information, i
ncluding your IP address and information about your browser, operating system, platform type; demographic
information through cookies, web beacons, and other tracking technologies; and information about the website you just left, a
nd the
website you go to
next. The collection of this information, including IP addresses and the referring websites, is required in order for users
to communicate on the Internet. In addition,
we may collect information from the devices you use to access the Services that tells u
s
where you are at a specific point in time. For instance, we may know that you are at home when you chat with us through your
WOW!
Internet service.
In addition to this privacy notice, we may provide additional notices to you regarding specific advertis
ing or other initiatives. These notices
will describe the initiatives in greater detail and may, as appropriate, contain information you can use to choose to partici
pate, or not
participate, in these initiatives.
n addition, our cable systems may also collect anonymous, de-identified and/or aggregate information using set-top boxes and other equipment. Anonymous information does not include (or has been stripped of) information that could be used to identify you. We or our suppliers may collect, use and store this information to determine things like which programs are being watched and which are most popular (including things like the number of times a program is watched per date, the average length of time a program is watched and how many people watch a program to its conclusion),
Pretty boiler plate. I am one less aggregated as having watched. Pretty meaningless but it's my tempest in a teapot.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I hate when I kind of think the same way Bannon does-

"A few weeks ago, former White House Chief Strategist Steve Bannon told a New York Magazine reporter that “you either have a crisis or you don’t.”

“If it’s a crisis, act like it,” he said for the piece, which was published this week. “Declare a national-security emergency on the southern border. Deploy troops not to assist the Border Patrol but to replace them, then you bring in the Army Corps of Engineers to build the wall. Get the backhoes out and start digging.”

If it's a real crisis, shouldn't there be a more immediate response than building a wall?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Don't make me react positively to Bannon!
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I guess this is thread for all things wall

I thought this to appear to be a pretty fair take on some of how we got to where we are with regard to the wall. It's a long but interesting read.

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/12/14 ... al-buttons
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Womp womp
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

The response to President Trump's Oval Office address to the nation by Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y) on Tuesday night rated slightly higher than the president's remarks, according to preliminary audience figures.
https://thehill.com/homenews/media/4245 ... ry-ratings

:pop:
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

tjg_marantz wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:48 pm

Womp womp
This all goes back the underlying idea that Trump is truly the "idiot's ideal".

- His tacky gold-plated penthouses are what stupid people envision when they think of how rich people live
- His bully tactics are what what stupid people envision when they think of how powerful people behave
- His moronic speech patters are what stupid people envision when they think of great orators
- His multiple (failed) businesses and (poor) financial track record are what stupid people envision when they define a successful businessman

So it holds true that this current round of immature, stomp my feet, "take my ball and go home" negotiation tactics are what stupid people envision when they think of a powerful, successful negotiator.

And let's face it, there are lots of stupid people in this country right now.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

If the accounts are true, his mental state is razor thin. He asked if they opened the government would they (the Dems) vote within 30 days for wall. WHAT HAS CHANGED TO MAKE THAT EVEN A POSSIBILITY? Pelosi says 'No' and he slams his hand on the desk and storms out? And the GOP keeps whistling away the days? Is there any way out of this mess?

FWIW - here is the very trustworthy Kevin McCarthy describing the meeting. Huge key difference. Schumer claims Trump asked the 'wall' and McCarthy claims Trump asked for 'border security'. Since border security has always been on the table...

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:10 pm And let's face it, there are lots of stupid people in this country right now.
Half of the population is below average. Now think about what "average" is.

(Yes, I know the differences between average, median, and mean. I'm not stupid. But close enough for a bumper sticker.)
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kraken wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:37 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:10 pm And let's face it, there are lots of stupid people in this country right now.
Half of the population is below average. Now think about what "average" is.

(Yes, I know the differences between average, median, and mean. I'm not stupid. But close enough for a bumper sticker.)
I'm beginning to wonder if the distribution is skewed a bit non-normal and towards low.

Or maybe this is a factor...I wouldn't be surprised that they are targeted with fake news at a higher percentage.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Who were under the impression young people were the great disseminators of non sourced material and propaganda? Maybe youth not sourcing information is a myth held by old people? Young people will stop everything to look shit up on their phone. That would have been my mom's dream when I was a child when her answer to everything was "look it up".
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:04 pm Who were under the impression young people were the great disseminators of non sourced material and propaganda? Maybe youth not sourcing information is a myth held by old people? Young people will stop everything to look shit up on their phone. That would have been my mom's dream when I was a child when her answer to everything was "look it up".
Yeah, I had the same reaction. Now I would think that the userbase of Facebook would skew slightly young, but other than that, who doesn't think that old people believe some crazy shit when they see it online?
Black Lives Matter.