Winter 2018-19 is coming

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

gilraen

Re: Winter 2018-19 is coming

Post by gilraen »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:11 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:08 am ¿Porque no los dos?
Because it is stupid. We already have people pronounce my son's name ex-sander.
Too many people have never watched "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" then :) (I'm assuming your son's name is Xander?)

I worked with a guy whose middle name was Xavier. So his email signature had his full name (Firstname X. Lastname) - can't tell you how many times I'd hear one of the other coworkers comment that it must be a "made-up" middle initial because how can anyone's middle name start with an X?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

There must not be a lot of Catholics in your community. "Francis Xavier" (usually rendered as "F.X.") is a relatively common name here. (edit) Actually, now that I think about it I'm not sure if it's chiefly a Catholic thing or an Italian thing.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:11 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:08 am ¿Porque no los dos?
Because it is stupid. We already have people pronounce my son's name ex-sander. Using both almost guarantees it. Maybe that is what they are going for.

You assume they want a slightly longer form of Xander. Maybe they are actually after a slightly shorter form of Alexander.

Xyler is obviously a short form of Xylerphone.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Kraken wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:29 pm There must not be a lot of Catholics in your community. "Francis Xavier" (usually rendered as "F.X.") is a relatively common name here. (edit) Actually, now that I think about it I'm not sure if it's chiefly a Catholic thing or an Italian thing.
Or X-men fans.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kraken wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:29 pm There must not be a lot of Catholics in your community. "Francis Xavier" (usually rendered as "F.X.") is a relatively common name here. (edit) Actually, now that I think about it I'm not sure if it's chiefly a Catholic thing or an Italian thing.
It's a Catholic thing. Every day I drive past the Francis X. Duffy Law Firm, and I'm pretty sure "Duffy" isn't Italian.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:05 pm
It's a Catholic thing. Every day I drive past the Francis X. Duffy Law Firm, and I'm pretty sure "Duffy" isn't Italian.
The local real estate kingpin of the last generation was F.X. Messina. His name is on everything. So Xavier is a well-known name around here, if not common.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
North Carolina was blanketed with too much snow too soon: more than a foot in several areas — and winter had barely just arrived.

Years' worth of snowfall swept through parts of the state in a little more than a day, causing hundreds of crashes, thousands of power outages and at least two confirmed deaths, officials said Monday. Double-digit snowfall totals dropped in many cities and towns over the weekend, far higher than what the state normally sees this time of year.

In one county, five families were stranded while 20 inches of snow buried the area.

By Monday, much of the snow has dissipated, but the state — which is still recovering from the damage wrought by Hurricane Florence in the summer — is not out of the woods yet. A deadly mix of ice and rain will keep roads treacherous, and many could turn into ice rinks overnight, Gov. Roy Cooper said at a news conference.
“Even the parts of our state that didn’t see a flake may feel effects from the storm today,” he said. Coastal communities are under flood warnings, and water may wash over parts of Highway 12, which connects the Outer Banks’s barrier islands.

Cooper issued a state of emergency Friday, and the deluge began Saturday.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Snoooooooooow!

Hodor.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Blue skies and 60's in CA.

"Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs..."
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Will it be snowing on Sunday at Foxboro?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

As of the end of December, Boston had gotten 0.2". Since then we've had another trace or two. The forecast is clear and cold for as far out as it goes.

February and March can both be brutal months, but so far we're in contention for a not-snowiest winter ever.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

It rained for two days at above freezing and then went down below freezing last night. Walked out on the porch and zippppppp. Down on my butt. Good thing my body is made for winter. My butt is so big I spread the load out over 3 square miles.
ZZZIIIPPPPPP!!!!
(actually sounded more like a minigun.)
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Holman

Post by Holman »

Philadelphia:

We got an inch or two of snow last night and this morning, the first (barring a freak short snowfall one day in November) of this winter.

It was unseasonably warm all through December, so I'm happy to see temps in the 20s tonight. This was also our dog's first real experience of snow (he was born last March in South Carolina), so today was kind of delightful.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

We got about 3-4", it was almost like a day long snow flurry as it never came down heavy, just a persistent, light snow fall. Had I shoveled Saturday night, it would have been a lot lighter, by the time I did so yesterday, it warmed up enough for it start turning into heavier, near-slushy snow.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Hodor.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

We got maybe 4"-5", about the minimum they forecast. I don't know when the last time was that we've gotten the kind of 'wow!' snow we used to get all the time. At least a decade. I remember when the kids were in elementary school we'd usually go through so many snow days that it would start eating into summer vacation. Now? I don't think there has been a full snow day in a few years.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Prognosticators suggesting maybe Snowmageddon coming this weekend for the eastern half of the U.S.:
The big picture is that nearly all of the eastern half of the country could be affected in some way by the storm with some areas getting hit more heavily than others. All of that is still to be determined over the next several days and the forecast remains far from certain this many days out.
But when will we know?
The National Weather Service says the probability of precipitation next weekend is "likely," but it doesn't make predictions on inch counts more than 72 hours in advance.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:30 am Prognosticators suggesting maybe Snowmageddon coming this weekend for the eastern half of the U.S.:
The big picture is that nearly all of the eastern half of the country could be affected in some way by the storm with some areas getting hit more heavily than others. All of that is still to be determined over the next several days and the forecast remains far from certain this many days out.
But when will we know?
The National Weather Service says the probability of precipitation next weekend is "likely," but it doesn't make predictions on inch counts more than 72 hours in advance.
The record low season total snowfall for Boston is 9". I was hoping we might beat that, but this storm alone might ruin our shot at it. People who run around with their hair on fire are warning of 2-3 feet next Sunday. :shock: :lol:
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

We got 10.5" in St. Louis. It was the most snow I've ever seen in my life, so that was cool. But it was also the first time I had to shovel snow; that was less cool.
Black Lives Matter
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

We've had less than 4" of snow since December 1st. We are running a deficit of 18", which puts us at half of our seasonal average at this point in winter.

So far I have paid $300 to have my driveway plowed once!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

And we bought a 2 stage gas snowblower. Everyone in the area is welcome! :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

That's why Kraken hasn't had much snow yet. I have a buddy that lives like 30 miles north of him who bought a big expensive snowblower this year.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I still haven't dug mine out of its summer corner. Probably ought to do that this week.

On the pro-snowfall influence side, my left arm still isn't working very well. Shoveling is going to be a bitch.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Pyperkub wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:53 pm Blue skies and 60's in CA.

"Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs..."
Not in the LA area it isn't. Supposed to rain all week here. Dogs are unhappy.
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I guess I'm experiencing the flip side of having to deal with hurricanes during every summer and fall here on the east coast of Central Florida. It was 70 today and sunshiny, which is actually cooler than it's been most of January. In fact the first week of January the high temperatures were in the low eighties and I was out swimming in the pool thanks to the solar heating.

Of course it's not sunshine and unicorns. Back in 2016 we had Hurricane Matthew and it came pretty close to us...

...And we got beat up by Hurricane Irma the next year. And further back, in 2004, we got hit by three hurricanes in six weeks. But, thankfully, never any snow on the ground 8-)

So I guess, for the rest of you, it might be time for a quick trip to Disney World or Universal! :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Ugh. Not a fan of the hurricanes. They've been taking out large trees looming around our house. I'll stick with snow, please. Thanks!

This last storm definitely overachieved for the mid-atlantic. I'd have been more excited except I had already taken off work today. The snow day didn't mean much to me. (Though my school system does have a delay in place for tomorrow, so -- extra sleep!)

I've heard for us, the storm next weekend looks messier. Rain/snow/mix all in play. Those are never much fun. We'll see how it goes.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Baroquen wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:03 am I've heard for us, the storm next weekend looks messier. Rain/snow/mix all in play. Those are never much fun. We'll see how it goes.
It's going to be a bit of a pain for us too. Sunday is the only day the guy who helps up put up and take down our Christmas decorations (plus his two daughters) can be here and now they are forecasting 60% rain all day. And pretty much everything is out from under cover. Bummer :(
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The news this morning said to expect another 7-9" this Saturday. This time for sure I'll have to take the kids sledding. Also for sure I need to shovel it Saturday, it's supposed to get a little cold on Sunday (down to 9 below zero).
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:55 am The news this morning said to expect another 7-9" this Saturday. This time for sure I'll have to take the kids sledding. Also for sure I need to shovel it Saturday, it's supposed to get a little cold on Sunday (down to 9 below zero).
And where is "Nowhere you want to be" exactly? :D I'm just curiously about that nine below. I went to college in Alamosa, Colorado and remember one day trudging across the grounds towards class past the bank display that showed ten below zero (and it was correct).
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

They're talking measurable snow for Saturday (which we haven't had yet) so a day or two later it ought to hit you guys.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

They backed off some on the snow forecast (2-4") and a much milder temperature drop (a balmy minus-2). Looks to be over in the morning, so plenty of time to take the kiddies sledding and still get the driveway shoveled before my wife has to go work a double shift.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:17 pm
Jeff V wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:55 am The news this morning said to expect another 7-9" this Saturday. This time for sure I'll have to take the kids sledding. Also for sure I need to shovel it Saturday, it's supposed to get a little cold on Sunday (down to 9 below zero).
And where is "Nowhere you want to be" exactly? :D I'm just curiously about that nine below. I went to college in Alamosa, Colorado and remember one day trudging across the grounds towards class past the bank display that showed ten below zero (and it was correct).
Chicago, for the record.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Well, right now my biggest issue is my wife rolling her eyes when I put on shorts to go out to eat when the temp is in the 50s or 60s. It's Florida, dammit, I should be able to go out in shorts! 8-)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Enlarge Image click me!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:19 pm
Chicago, for the record.
An hour west of Chicago, to update that record. It actually does make a difference climate-wise, Chicago proper is influenced by Lake Michigan. The city is expected to get more snow and be on average 10 degrees warmer.
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Winter 2018-19 is coming

Post by Zarathud »

Stuck in Orlando after Southwest cancelled my flight 10 minutes after checking in my bag. Thanks, guys.

6 more hours in the airport, minimum. If I wasn't already away for a full week, I would take day and visit the Mouse. But someone had to get back and shovel. Sigh.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

People around here are freaking right out because it's the first storm of the season. We're only expecting 4-8" of snow, and possibly much less. But it's going to turn to rain, and then freeze solid for a couple of days, so it's imperative that I remove whatever slush accumulates overnight first thing tomorrow. Shoveling slush in the rain is miserable, and that's the most likely scenario.

I did put the snowblower into service yesterday, but it's not a very good slushblower.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Got about 5 inches. Neighbor had his snow blower out while I was shoveling and did my sidewalk and lower drive. I just went back out and you can't tell it was shoveled at all...winds drifted it all back. And these winds are ushering in bone chilling cold.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Philadelphia:

Yesterday morning was cool but not cold. I went to the gym in a sweatshirt and left my jacket at home.

At dawn this morning the temp was 8 degrees, wind chill -9.

No snow though--the sky is bright and perfectly clear. Last night's moon was amazing.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

This winter can just go and F right off, thank you. -20C with -40C Windchill at the moment.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti