For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Zarathud

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Zarathud »

Worst dealmaker ever.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

So I guess something really, really big is about to drop?

The President of the United States of America wrote: If Elizabeth Warren, often referred to by me as Pocahontas, did this commercial from Bighorn or Wounded Knee instead of her kitchen, with her husband dressed in full Indian garb, it would have been a smash!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

How in the holy fuck is that acceptable to anyone but the most deplorable, shittiest, bottom of the barrel, scum of the earth dregs of humanity?

I mean, really. Wtf is going on down there? I fully expect some watermelon and fried chicken references in the near future.

Did you elect Archie Bunker down there?
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Trump declared that the National Enquirer is a better newspaper than the Washington Post in a tweet tonight, too.

It's been a fine weekend for Trump on Twitter.
Hodor.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:30 am Trump declared that the National Enquirer is a better newspaper than the Washington Post in a tweet tonight, too.

It's been a fine weekend for Trump on Twitter.
Just a reminder, he's not random reality tv dude criticizing the president, he's the actual president of the USofA.

Unbelievable.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I want to say that he's becoming increasingly unhinged, but I honestly can't tell anymore.

I'm increasingly encouraged that he won't survive 2019, but discouraged that neither will we.
milo

Post by milo »

GreenGoo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:28 am I mean, really. Wtf is going on down there? I fully expect some watermelon and fried chicken references in the near future.
Tomi Lahren already did that.
https://goo.gl/images/mkZcb9
--milo
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

No. No you are not seeing that correctly, Tomi. As you are no doubt aware, since you took the time to splice the two images together, and 5 seconds of actually looking at the two images makes it abundantly clear.

People are so shitty.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

GreenGoo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:28 am How in the holy fuck is that acceptable to anyone but the most deplorable, shittiest, bottom of the barrel, scum of the earth dregs of humanity?
It's not, but since that describes the majority of his supporters...here we are.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

This behavior on Trump's part is surprisingly rationale if you believe that he hopes that his base are all that stands between him and oblivion for his family. This is where the danger is.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:10 am I want to say that he's becoming increasingly unhinged, but I honestly can't tell anymore.

I'm increasingly encouraged that he won't survive 2019, but discouraged that neither will we.
+1 on both accounts but the "can't tell any more" is the biggest thing to me. Between the world we generally live in anyway and the OO specific sounding board which tends toward liberal alarmist I simply am not a good judge of what unhinged conservatism is anymore. It's definitely unhinged but is any worse than it was beginning with McConnell's attack on the Supreme Court in 2016? I just don't have the faculty to tell anymore. Shit is worse. Taxes are worse. Trade is worse. The GOP co-opted all phases of government for the GOP. The president is as much a con artist as all knew he was going to be but is it worse in the way we all knew it was going to be or is it worse in the way all feared it was going to be (like bell curve toward a crash worse or linear, it may take decades to fix this worse). I simply can't tell.

The world we generally live in is beginning scare me more and more if only because of my reaction to it. I am becoming increasing impatient with the barrage of propaganda (on all sides but mainly from faux libertarian and GOP thought shell games) and walling myself off from it which just seems more and more battle lines being drawn.

Help us obiwanmillennials. You're our only hope.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

He's working on the important stuff. I mean aren't there supposed to be people to deal with this so he doesn't screw it up?

The National Champs are scheduled to meet with POTUS and 1600 Penn on Monday (weather permitting) and for some reason, Donald thinks he knows about the team's food preferences.

"I think we're going to serve McDonald's, Wendy's and Burger King with some pizza," Trump said. "I really mean it, It will be interesting. And, I would think that's their favorite food."
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

Come on - it is clear that fast food is definitely the food of elite athletes. It worked for his golf game!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

It's even better with his patented "all bullshit and stupidity" delivery.

"I really mean it...."

"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

"Burger Kings"
Hodor.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

"No, no, having a Trump organization restaurant cater it would be too obvious. Let's just go with the cheapest alternative possible."
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

I like how he mentioned in the clip that the Dems were in Puerto Rico...'maybe celebrating the shutdown'. Sure they are.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

"I know we usually serve lobster and steak during these functions, but I thought a big mac and some day old fries would be more prudent considering your stations in life. Please don't use the main restroom. The maintenance room has one."
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:24 pm "I know we usually serve lobster and steak during these functions, but I thought a big mac and some day old fries would be more prudent considering your stations in life. Please don't use the main restroom. The maintenance room has one."
That's because someone told him that college national champions is where anthem-kneeling NFLers come from.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

https://www.businessinsider.com/ivanka- ... ort-2019-1
President Donald Trump's daughter, Ivanka Trump, who works as a White House adviser, is one of the names being considered as a replacement for The World Bank's outgoing president, Jim Yong Kim, the Financial Times reported Friday.
Enough

Post by Enough »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:47 pm https://www.businessinsider.com/ivanka- ... ort-2019-1
President Donald Trump's daughter, Ivanka Trump, who works as a White House adviser, is one of the names being considered as a replacement for The World Bank's outgoing president, Jim Yong Kim, the Financial Times reported Friday.
WH has responded and say she isn't under consideration but is helping lead the search.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:26 pm "No, no, having a Trump organization restaurant cater it would be too obvious. Let's just go with the cheapest alternative possible."
I'm surprised they didn't. Indications are that they went with fast food because the WH residence staff is furloughed. :doh:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I hope they at least hired corporate caterers for their fast food buffet. Has the president ever actually had a reheated burger from any of those places? I'm fairly sure the players eat better in their dorm.

I personally don't give a crap about whether they are served surf and turf at a black tie affair, or an all you can eat Chinese buffet in their practice shorts, but I can barely tolerate those burgers when they are fresh. It actually seems pretty insulting for the WH to server big Macs and whoppers, and that's not because of who's serving them.

It's pretty undignified. If previous administrations have done similar, then they suck too.

It's hilarious to hear the president to talk about the meal in a positive light, then blame the Dems for it in the same breath.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

ERMAHGERD, HAMBERDERS!

Great being with the National Champion Clemson Tigers last night at the White House. Because of the Shutdown I served them massive amounts of Fast Food (I paid), over 1000 hamberders etc. Within one hour, it was all gone. Great guys and big eaters!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

College athletes have big appetites, how very insightful. Thanks for spending your valuable time informing the public.

Here's a hint on hosting. If all the food is gone in a hour, you didn't provide enough, dipshit. As a billionaire, it's hard to imagine a cheaper meal you could have provided. As the president, it's hard to imagine a less dignified one. A two'fer, well done.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Trump must be disappointed he didn't have any leftover hamberders.
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

If I received a gold plated invitation to the White House with food prepared by the top chefs in the world I wouldn't go, much less a lukewarm Wendy's hamburger. We're supposed to be impressed that Trump paid for 1000 dollar menus hamberders?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Taking a moment to divorce myself from how much I disapprove of all things POTUS and they way he's handles sports championships to date, in isolation I think this was kinda cool. 19-22 years olds are likely going to dig on going to DC and pigging out on fast food more than they are standing on pomp and circumstance.

Honestly the only criticism I would have is (I paid). Why do you have to put that in there? You need for adulation and respect for your charity of spirit for the greater good is already being acknowledged in the fact that we are reading about event. (I paid) just turns it all in to your normal MO and ruins what it was. It goes from a respect for you for respecting a community to the idea that we have to somehow be indebted to you for something we did not ask for and really is ultimately meaningless to most of us. If he just kept (I paid) out, I could probably force myself to forget about all the "well, you're not invited anyway" crap from before and simply think "Well, that was a nice gesture."

I guess when all you know how to do is advertise your ego, that's all you'll ever do.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Anyone else picturing the Pink Panther scene from the remake? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz0IT4Uk2xQ

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Let's do the math. 1,000 hamblerders. Let's say 100 attendees with the roster, coaches, and staff that showed up.

That's 10 hamberdles per person per hour. ("Within one hour, it was all gone!"). A hambadger every 6 minutes. Plus all the other stuff (salads, nuggets, etc.). I mean sure a lineman or two might be fine doing that but that's a heavy burden on a 180 lb safety or a 110 lb assistant trainer. Just too many halmgurbers.

Going to have to classify this in the "Biggest inauguration crowd ever!!!" category. Boastful bullshit.

MYT
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:22 pm Let's do the math. 1,000 hamblerders. Let's say 100 attendees with the roster, coaches, and staff that showed up.

That's 10 hamberdles per person per hour. ("Within one hour, it was all gone!"). A hambadger every 6 minutes. Plus all the other stuff (salads, nuggets, etc.). I mean sure a lineman or two might be fine doing that but that's a heavy burden on a 180 lb safety or a 110 lb assistant trainer. Just too many halmgurbers.

Going to have to classify this in the "Biggest inauguration crowd ever!!!" category. Boastful bullshit.

To be fair, you also have to account for how many were stolen by The Hamberdler.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:22 pm Going to have to classify this in the "Biggest inauguration crowd ever!!!" category. Boastful bullshit.
Absolutely 100% this. I never for a moment believed that all the food was gone in an hour. I just liked to point out how running out of food in an hour is a hosting failure, not something to brag about.

As to LM, these are national champions. They've had a big mac before. Sure, I can agree that they have limited experience (probably) with what a quality meal served in a regal environment might look like, but the idea that they'd be excited to be fed slices of pizza or a Whopper seems kind of ridiculous.

Chances are their boosters gave them better meals at the local Hooters.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I guess we should all be thankful he didn't just trot out fried chicken and watermelon.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:16 pm Taking a moment to divorce myself from how much I disapprove of all things POTUS and they way he's handles sports championships to date, in isolation I think this was kinda cool. 19-22 years olds are likely going to dig on going to DC and pigging out on fast food more than they are standing on pomp and circumstance.

Honestly the only criticism I would have is (I paid). Why do you have to put that in there? You need for adulation and respect for your charity of spirit for the greater good is already being acknowledged in the fact that we are reading about event. (I paid) just turns it all in to your normal MO and ruins what it was. It goes from a respect for you for respecting a community to the idea that we have to somehow be indebted to you for something we did not ask for and really is ultimately meaningless to most of us. If he just kept (I paid) out, I could probably force myself to forget about all the "well, you're not invited anyway" crap from before and simply think "Well, that was a nice gesture."

I guess when all you know how to do is advertise your ego, that's all you'll ever do.
19-22 year olds playing at that level are just as likely to be on a very strict diet. Hell, the girls I coach that are 15 or 16 watch what they eat and avoid fast food as much as possible and their athletic future doesn't involve a possible million dollar pay day.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
stessier

Post by stessier »

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Remus West wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:14 pm 19-22 year olds playing at that level are just as likely to be on a very strict diet. Hell, the girls I coach that are 15 or 16 watch what they eat and avoid fast food as much as possible and their athletic future doesn't involve a possible million dollar pay day.
According to a former NFL player (and still young) serious nutrition scrutiny doesn't typically come until the professional level.

They don't eat hamberders though.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I think we're all assuming that hamberders was a typo, but I don't think that we can rule out that Trump served them sandwich-substitutes from a shady source that he couldn't legally call "hamburgers".
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Remus West wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:14 pm 19-22 year olds playing at that level are just as likely to be on a very strict diet. Hell, the girls I coach that are 15 or 16 watch what they eat and avoid fast food as much as possible and their athletic future doesn't involve a possible million dollar pay day.
I don't doubt it. I also don't doubt that a portion of the team (and likely most of the staff) like their strict diet. I still think the gesture is nice and memorable in isolation and appeals to youth more than a fancy dinner does right up until (I paid).

If this is what criticism catches the eye, it feels like we're in for long road to and through 2020. *shrug*
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

El Guapo wrote:I think we're all assuming that hamberders was a typo, but I don't think that we can rule out that Trump served them sandwich-substitutes from a shady source that he couldn't legally call "hamburgers".
It's almost as if people are the problem.