Let's play: Battletech via MegaMek

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Hyena

Re: Let's play: Battletech via MegaMek

Post by Hyena »

Can I go back and collect the spent shells? I'm sure SOMEBODY knows how to do a reload around here, right?!?
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Heh. Good luck collecting those pellets.

Beta-One's job is fairly uncomplicated - move to the designated location and destroy the buildings housing the air defense missiles. Until they get there and half the missiles have been concealed to the point where sensors don't actually detect them. So we'll have to search and destroy manually.

Additionally, it's entirely possible that the buildings aren't the only things that are concealed.

So we'll need to be careful as we advance. It's a little dark and the snow is starting to come down so we'll need to pay attention to the environment as well.

Round 1:
Spoiler:
We advance south towards the units that we *can* see. It's pretty much all medium-weight tracked and hover tanks, not much of a threat. If we weren't walking into an ambush, it'd be even better.

Round 2:
Spoiler:
Moley and a Maxim exchange long-range fire, a few of the Maxim's LRMs pinging off Zarathud's armor.

Round 3:
Spoiler:
Moley fires lasers at the Maxim as it closes in, one of the mediums cutting a large section off the front of the hover transport. Zarathud braves the incoming SRMs, then stomps on the damaged front section. The hovercraft is unable to move and the infantry inside scamper out. We'll just avoid them.

Round 4:
Spoiler:
While trying to get away from LordMortis as he stomps around the corner way too fast, a Vedette wedges itself into a building. Whoops. A burst from the Victor's AC/20 breaches the nearby Pegasus' armor and the hovertank zips away rapidly. Zarathud zaps a Striker with a PPC while navigating around the Maxim and disembarked infantry, squashing a couple with the Awesome's foot just to remind the rest of their station in life.

Round 5:
Spoiler:
The Vedette that was trying to avoid LordMortis manages to clear out of the building it drove into, but then drives directly into a burst from his AC/20, which disintegrates the rear armor. A medium laser follows up, destroying the tank.

Zenn7 blasts the front machine gun on a different Vedette, while the rest of weapons fire is minimally effective.

Round 6:
Spoiler:
LordMortis finds some hidden units, which open up on his mech with SRMs, sandpapering away some armor. He's unhappy with this and annihilates the offending Scorpion tank with the AC/20. Zarathud also locates some hidden units, which distract our mechwarrior long enough that a nearby Striker is able to put some missiles into the Awesome's leg, damaging two actuators.

This appears to have been at least part of the ambush, as the rest of the Marik forces that were waffling before pick this moment to charge in. They pay for it - Zenn7 wedges a Maxim in between a surpisingly sturdy street light and a wall, while LordMortis stomps a second Scropion tank. Moley inflicts heavy damage on the nearby tanks, but they're still active.

Round 7:
Spoiler:
LordMortis fires up the Victor's jump jets and goes after an LTV-4 hovertank to take its PPC out of action, nimbly dodging an AC/5 shot from an ambushing Vedette. Zenn7 backs up a little bit. LordMortis' AC/20 removes the armor from the right side of the Vedette, causing the crew to panic. The LTV-4 receives a solid boot to the turret, which convinces the crew to zip off.

Moley and Zarathud take similar actions, with Zarathud backing up (slowly, creaking), while Moley jumps forward. Zarathud's aim is thrown off by continued pelting from the Striker, while Moley needs to just chill out as those lasers go everywhere but on target. At least Moley is still able to kick, causing heavy tread damage to the Vedette - Zarathud's hip actuator damage prevents the Awesome from doing anything of the sort.

Round 8:
Spoiler:
Zenn7 backs up and turns left, bringing PPCs to bear against the Striker that's been giving our Awesome a hard time. After taking two PPCs to the left side, the light tank's crew decides to retreat, now that their armor's all melted off. Moley takes a deep breath and waits for the reticle to turn green this time, blowing away a Scorpion tank slinging lasers our way. LordMortis opens up on a nearby Striker tank, giving it a "burp" from the AC/20. When the SRMs hit, the tank simply disappears as the fuel goes off.

Round 9:
Spoiler:
LordMortis continues his rampage, removing the armor from the turret of another Vedette then letting the tank go as the crew scrambles to get it turned around and off the field. Mostly because he's busy stomping a different Vedette completely flat.

Moley takes an AC/5 round to the torso like a champ (it mostly just bings off, bending armor plates), then delivers lasers and a boot, removing one of the two remaining Vedettes on that side of the battlefield.

At this point, we're basically clear to advance on the designated buildings that we *can* see - hopefully we'll spot the rest as we move forward. Otherwise, we'll have to come back with an Ostscout.

Round 10:
Spoiler:
This winds up being a "cooling off" round, although LordMortis does get to beef with a pair of Vedettes who plink some rounds off his armor.

Round 11:
Spoiler:
Zenn7 zaps one of the annoying little helicopters flying around, the PPC shot scattering bits of it all over the complex. Zarathud keeps an eye on the last active Vedette on the street (that's not stuck in a building), sending three PPCs at it to breach armor. We take some small arms fire from the infantry but it's unable to penetrate armor.

Round 12:
Spoiler:
Well, we found some Hetzers. LordMortis takes one out pretty much right away, while Moley has to spend some time working on the other.

Round 13:
Spoiler:
An AC/2 carrier makes itself known. The thing about AC/2s though, is that they're not too accurate at point-blank range. So it whiffs all its shots on Moley. Who then puts some lasers into it, removing all armor - the weapons carrier can't turn around fast enough. The Hetzer that took a shot at our Thunderbolt tries to hit Zenn7's Awesome next, but takes a PPC through the crew compartment, eliminating it.

Round 14:
Spoiler:
The two Vedettes cornered by LordMortis try to make a break for it, but he's not letting them go as long as they keep shooting back - the AC/20 flakes the armor off the back of one, then the SRMs get into the internals. An AC/2 Vedette is actually quite a powder keg - it's got ammo for the autocannon, the SRM launcher and the machine gun. And a fuel tank. All of which explode separately.

Round 15:
Spoiler:
The last Vedette is destroyed by fire from Zenn7 and LordMortis, leaving just a loose helicopter, some infantry and a few other tanks cowering somewhere.

Round 16:
Spoiler:
Zarathud zaps the remaining helicopter.

Round 17, 18:
Spoiler:
Moley and Zenn7 begin working on one of the two missile sites that we can see, inflicting significant damage to the building. Just as the snow begins to really pile up, Moley removes the last structural element keeping that part of the building standing.

The remaining Marik forces rapidly abandon their hiding places and scatter to the four winds, leaving us in control of the facility. Salvage is all crappy tanks, which we earmark for our employer's share so we can salvage the good stuff later on (if there is any), but with the AA missiles and launchers still intact for the most part, we could probably make use of it to keep enemy aircraft out of this area. The downside, of course, is that we'd have to defend it if it came under attack. Should we try to hold the AA facility?

Other than keeping our landing zone clear of enemy units and helping the Scorpions guard one of their downed dropships as they fix it up, we don't really have anything else on deck coming up, so we've got the forces to spare.

Zarathud's Awesome will need the leg rebuilt, so we'll put the mechwarrior into a spare mech - for assaults we've got a Banshee, a Stalker and an Atlas. An Orion is also an option.
Black Lives Matter
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

I'm surprised there wasn't a *shudder* before you typed Atlas, considering your lack of affection for them in Battletech... :mrgreen:
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

We are kicking ass! - Makes sense with the easy opponents.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Stalker if we're going to tweak it.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

My lack of comprehension sometimes amuses me
At this point, we're basically clear to advance on the designated buildings
Read
At this point, we're basically clear to advance on the disintegrated buildings
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

To be fair, the second one became partially true as well.

After thinking it over a little, we decide to hold on to the AA missiles, relocating the launchers and re-organizing a defense. It pays off very shortly - we use it to run off a couple of flights of enemy aircraft almost right off the bat, then again a day later to cover a "merchant" dropship as it flies by the planet to drop off some supplies for us and the Scorpions. Mostly spare parts for their downed dropship, but they happen to supply two tons of LB-10X ammo.

August 9, 3037:
Delta-One is tasked with eliminating a particular individual we've identified as issuing orders to units continuing to poke around our landing zone. Well, the command vehicle anyway. A very unimpressive-looking Galleon light tank, leading a motley collection of hovercraft and light mechs.

We wait until the command tank and its attending units have decided to pass through a rather large coastal swamp, then our mechs emerge from the muck and water to launch their attack.

Round 1:
Spoiler:
It gets messy quickly. The Marik guys aren't quite as spaced-out (both physically and mentally) as we think they are and return fire almost immediately. Still:

Archinerd lands hits on a pair of Harassers, disabling one mounting lasers with an LRM salvo and knocking the armor off the front of a missile-mounting one with the medium laser. The Dervish takes a beating and an armor breach and has trouble getting out of the swamp but survives.

Freyland makes short work of the Galleon, cutting it to bits with lasers, while Madmarcus stomps on another Harasser as it zips by and fires lasers, crushing the light hovercraft.
Spoiler:
Round 2:
Spoiler:
With the objective completed, Delta-One fires up the jump jets and hops north, putting the swamp and water between themselves and the ground-bound enemy vehicles. Archinerd plows SRMs into a Scimitar that gives chase, immobilizing the hovercraft and causing it to splash into the muck. Madmarcus lasers an SRM-mounting Scropion tank just in case it gets any funny ideas - the light tank shudders then starts belching black smoke.

The enemy Firestarter makes a brave effort to stop us, but takes several lasers from Freyland along with a kick and a backhand from Madmarcus.

Round 3:
Spoiler:
The pursuit slacks off a little as hovercraft drop out due to battle damage and tracked tanks can't keep up, especially through the swamp. And the mechs keep getting stuck, too. Freyland claims a Pegasus, putting a laser through the right side of the hovertank to reach the fuel tank, which explodes. Madmarcus lasers a Harasser, a destroyed fan causing the hovercraft to dip into the water and fail to come back up.

Round 4:
Spoiler:
We're basically clear at this point. We fire some symbolic shots to the south to keep the remaining opposition honest, but they don't pursue us past the northern end of the swamp. Clean, quick and efficient.

We probably could have stuck it out for another minute or so and routed the rest, but, truth be told, there's nothing worth salvaging in that batch of units anyway.

The only other event of note that happens this week is that the Scorpions use the spare parts supplied by the "merchant" dropship to start working on fixing their downed dropship. To nobody's surprise, they call for reinforcements when they come under attack. We happen to have a lance rotating through the area at the time. Which lance?

Alpha-One (Gbasden, Isgrimnur, Stefan, El Guapo)
Beta-One (Zenn7, Zarathud-in-Stalker, LordMortis, Moley)
Gamma-One (Scrub, Hyena, Cylus, Xwraith-substitute)
Black Lives Matter
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I vote Gamma 1. I have a bias.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

As much as I hate to do so, I think we take Gamma out of the running. We got a busted up 'warrior and I would hate to burn through the rest of the ammo of the LBX on something like this.

**Edited to say HA! Cylus thinks like I do regarding bias...

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Cylus Maxii wrote:I vote Gamma 1. I have a bias.
That sounds familiar.

I vote Alpha 1.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:20 pm
That sounds familiar.

I vote Alpha 1.
+1
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

gbasden wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:35 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:20 pm
That sounds familiar.

I vote Alpha 1.
+1
+1. Also with El Guapo in charge.
Black Lives Matter.
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

Uh, so did I eject as part of the whole taking one to the head (again) or did I decide I could ride it out like last time?

Ouch.

At least we still have that ER Large Laser intact! :horse:
I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Send Alpha1 (GB, keep your head this time, eh??)

Next heavy assault mission we'll send Beta, keep Gamma for whatever comes up between.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Zenn7 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:38 pm (GB, keep your head this time, eh??)

Which one of you yahoos painted the bullseye across the front of the cockpit?
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

NOT ME! (You croak, I think I'm next in line for the being the supreme leader of this band of lunatics, no thanks!).
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

It's your fault for wearing that Hawaiian shirt, saying you were inspired by Warsh.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

I am a leaf on the wind...
Watch how I so-URK

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

August 12, 3037
Alpha-One gets sent out to defend the Scorpions' dropship. It's a Triumph. Which makes sense, most of the units we've seen our fellow mercs deploy are tanks. It got forced down in a swamp - with no runway or means to take off normally, it looks like they're fixing up the wheels so they can drive it to clear ground.

Before that happens though, a large batch of Marik units have surrounded the dropship and we'll need to take care of business. A heavy fog rolls in, impairing ground unit mobility, so its a field day for jump-capable mechs, of which we have two (Stefan's Catapult and Isgrimnur's Hatchetman), plus the allied Grasshopper. The Opfor has a lance of those - a Trebuchet, a Grasshopper, a Wasp and a Phoenix Hawk. And an Ostroc, apparently. Most of the incoming units are crappy ground tanks, but there are some mechs and hovercraft in the mix, as well as heavier units.

Main problem is we're surrounded on all sides, so the Triumph's firepower will be of limited use in its blind spots.

Round 1:
Spoiler:
The Ostroc OSR-2M is a jump-capable 60-ton mech. It's got the same speed as a Griffin or a Quickdraw, and jump jets. This particular model has two large lasers, leading to heat issues of jumping and firing at the same time.

The two jump-jet capable mechs advance rapidly. Stefan and Gbasden are unable to draw beads on them, so they fire at some slower tanks in the back, Stefan popping a couple of tires on a Hetzer and Gbasden landing two PPC shots on a Vedette.

Round 2:
Spoiler:
A Pegasus hovertank crests a hill and gets plastered by LRMs from the not-entirely-helpless Triumph. Its engine whirrs one last time, and then it settles to the ground for the rest of the fight. Stefan takes advantage of the approaching Trebuchet getting stuck in some swampy terrain to plaster it with LRMs and strip off a lot of armor.

Round 3:
Spoiler:
Not the best landing that a dropship has ever made.

To the southwest, Stefan continues hammering the Trebuchet, whose right arm begins throwing sparks under continued LRM fire. To the north, Isgrimnur gets a solid autocannon hit on a Maxim hover transport's left side, causing it to wobble quite a bit as it moves in.

Round 4:
Spoiler:
The Ostroc misjudges a jump towards Gbasden and Stefan and gets stuck in some swampy terrain. Two large lasers whizz by Stefan's Catapult, then it takes two PPCs from Gbasden, the combination of electrical interference, armor loss and landing in a giant mud puddle causing it to lose balance and keel over. An enemy Grasshopper, however, manages to get in behind one of the allied Maxim transports and squashes it with a boot. We're going to need to do something about that mech.

To the east, El Guapo punches through the front armor on a Vedette - it's still functional, but the crew turns the tank around. The Triumph spectacularly detonates another Vedette with an LRM salvo.

Round 5:
Spoiler:
The Ostroc has trouble getting up, so Stefan drills it with all four lasers, removing a large amount of armor.

Round 6:
Spoiler:
Hard to get out of a swamp if you're stuck in it. Stefan splits fire between the Ostroc and the Trebuchet. The Ostroc takes four more laser hits, one burning an actuator off the left arm and one to the dome. The mechwarrior inside has already been knocked around some by all the failed attempts to get up and blacks out. The Trebuchet simply loses the right arm as LRMs impact it. Gbasden and Isgrimnur move to intercept the Grasshopper, Isgrimnur putting a laser on it while Gbasden hits it in the right arm with a PPC, shorting out a laser.

Round 7:
Spoiler:
Stefan watches with some distaste as the Ostroc stops struggling and simply sinks into the muck. He gives the Catapult a cool-off break, firing LRMs at the Hetzer which he previously gave a limp, immobilizing it entirely this time. He takes some LRMs from a distant Orion, but that's no problem.

Isgrimnur sees a Wasp coming in and decides to give the hatchet some exercise, burning his jump jets hard but managing to stick the landing right in front of the bug mech. It avoids the first swing, but Isgrimnur catches the right leg on the backswing, severing it and sending the bug mech flopping to the ground.

The Triumph itself blasts the armor off another approaching Vedette, sending the tank packing. Still, it's now got a Grasshopper and Phoenix Hawk whaling on it from its blind spots.

Round 8:
Spoiler:
Isgrimnur is really enjoying this low-gravity environment, soaring at a rate normally reserved for Griffins and Quickdraws, hopping up next to a Phoenix Hawk as it continues picking away at the dropship. A burst from his autocannon breaches armor on a Maxim transport he'd nailed previously, and the hovertank peels off as the crew makes a best effort to avoid breathing in any more fresh air. The hatchet takes a good chunk off the Phoenix Hawk's right leg, but the faster enemy mech manages to retain its footing.

Gbasden engages the Grasshopper, missing his PPC and small laser shots at point blank range, but gets a good one-two punch in, clocking the 70-ton mech in the "jaw", which removes all the armor and knocks the mechwarrior around.

Round 9:
Spoiler:
The Trebuchet tries a little too hard to get in closer to the Triumph and pops a couple of actuators on the left leg, falling over. The Triumph can't get at it, but is able to evaporate an LRM Carrier to the southeast.

Round 10:
Spoiler:
Stefan trips up over some rocks, but manages to stay upright. After scraping a bunch of armor off one of the legs. We're unable to land any meaningful hits this round, while the allied Grasshopper tries to run over to an enemy Von Luckner and gets its clock cleaned by an AC/20 and SRMs. Isgrimnur's hatchet strips more armor from the Phoenix Hawk, but no armor breach. Stefan's LRM ammo bins click empty, so it's laser time.

Round 11:
Spoiler:
The Trebuchet struggles a bit on the ground then settles down. The Phoenix Hawk's evasive manuevers ar minimal, so Isgrimnur takes the opportunity to rake the AC/10 and a laser across its arms, then take another couple of swings with the Hatchet. This time, the left leg takes two hits and comes off, the Pixie hitting the ground hard.

Round 12:
Spoiler:
Gbasden and Isgrimnur turn their attention to the Grasshopper next, although Gbasden's fire is split between three targets and winds up not being too accurate. Isgrimnur lands an AC/10 burst on the center torso, though. The Grasshopper is up to the challenge though, dodging both hatchet swings and deflecting a punch with its already useless right arm, while sweeping the leg and forcing Gbasden to a knee.

The allied Grasshopper calls out a panicked "I'm going in" before we get a burst of static. Seems the Von Luckner got him.

Round 13:
Spoiler:
The guy in the Phoenix Hawk decides he's had enough and bails out. The Grasshopper gets the drop on Gbasden, getting a single headshot in. Armor holds, though. Isgrimnur takes the opportunity to remove the enemy mech's right arm and blow out a laser in a torso section with a rear shot. Gbasden has had enough of this crap and backhands the 70-tonner, crushing the head section. With the dropship secure from the faster, more obnoxious units, its time to turn our attention to the remaining guys slowly picking their way through the fog.

To the south, Stefan engages the next wave of enemy tanks, disabling a Condor hovertank with laser fire.

Round 14:
Spoiler:
Stefan eats an AC/5 shot from a Vedette's main gun to the center torso. Normally, the armor would stop it, but the armor appears to have taken a vacation and the Catapult's internals take a beating, causing severe damage to the engine shielding and gyro. Luckily, he wasn't firing anything this round due to being out of range, so he's ok heat-wise.

Gbasden and the allied LTV-4 team up to blow away a Scimitar hovertank, while Isgrimnur directs fire from the autocannon against a Vedette.

El Guapo finally gets a firing solution on an advancing Hunchback, nailing it in the center torso with a PPC.

Round 15, 16:
Stefan hunkers down, taking some more fire. El Guapo continues blasting away at the Hunchback, knocking it over.

After Gbasden zaps the armor off another Vedette, the rest of the approaching hostiles call off their advance, El Guapo's target Hunchback included.

We keep the Grasshopper, Phoenix Hawk, Ostroc and Trebuchet, leaving the tanks for our merc buddies. They were even able to recover their Grasshopper, minus a torso section. The salvaged Grasshopper will need a new head, while the salvaged Ostroc will need to have swamp gunk cleaned out, meaning the Ostroc will be usable pretty quickly.

The damage to our mechs is pretty light, except for Stefan's Catapult, which will be out next week.

Current force status:
Spoiler:
Alpha Company
Alpha-One (command lance, elite)
- Gbasden / Awesome
- Isgrimnur / Hatchetman
- El Guapo Mk2 / Marauder (modified, AC/5 replaced with armor, 2 heat sinks, 2x Streak SRM/2)
- Stefan / Catapult (unavailable due to battle damage, may switch to a different mech)
Alpha-Two (battle lance, veteran)
- Blackjack BJ-1
- Rifleman RFL-3C
- Trebuchet TBT-5J
- Flashman FLS-7K
Alpha-Three (fast attack lance, regular)
- Wolverine WVR-6M
- Quickdraw QKD-4H (modified, all weapons forward, SRM/4 replaced with Streak SRM/2)
- Griffin 1N
- Shadow Hawk 2K (modified, two heat sinks removed, extra LRM/5 launcher added)
Alpha-Air (flying bricks, veteran)
- Lucifer LCF-R20
- Stuka STU-K5
- Shilone SL-17

Beta Company
Beta-One (assault lance, elite)
- Zenn7 / Awesome
- Zarathud / Awesome (temporarily driving Stalker instead of Awesome)
- LordMortis / Victor
- Moley / Thunderbolt TDR-5SE
Beta-Two (battle lance, regular)
- Catapult
- Trebuchet TBT-5S (short-ranged monstrosity)
- Orion ON1-K
- Rifleman RFL-3N
Beta-Three (battle lance, regular)
- Ostsol OTL-4D (modified, all weapons forward)
- Centurion CN9-A (modified, all weapons forward)
- Vindicator VND-1R
- Wyvern WVE-6N
Beta-Air (mixed light/medium, regular)
- Lucifer LCF-R20
- Lightning LTN-G15
- Sabre SB-27

Delta Company
Delta-One (heavy recon lance, elite)
- Archinerd Mk2 / Dervish
- Madmarcus / Griffin GRF-1S
- Paingod / Griffin GRF-1N
- Freyland Mk2 / Quickdraw (modified, all weapons forward, SRM/4 replaced with Streak SRM/2)
Delta-Two (medium recon lance, veteran)
- Phoenix Hawk PXH-1D
- Griffin GRF-1N
- Griffin GRF-1S
- Wolverine WVR-6R
Delta-Three (light recon lance, regular)
- Cicada
- Phoenix Hawk PXH-1 (modified, half-ton of mg ammo replaced with armor)
- Assassin ASN-21
- Firestarter FS9-K (modified, rear flamer replaced with heat sink)
Delta-Air (light air lance, regular)
- Cheetah F-10
- Seydlitz SYD-Z2
- Centurion CNT-1D

Gamma Company
Gamma-One (heavy battle lance, elite)
- Scrub / Warhammer WHM-6D
- Hyena / Striker (modified, prototype LB 10-X autocannon)
- Cylus Maxii Mk2 / Grasshopper GHR-5H
- Xwraith Mk3 / Thunderbolt TDR-5SE (modified, large laser replaced with ER large laser)
Gamma-Two (medium battle lance, regular)
- Wolverine WVR-6M
- Rifleman RFL-3N
- Champion CHP-2N (modified, two small lasers replaced with heat sink)
- Trebuchet TBT-5N
Gamma-Three (fast recon lance, regular)
- Phoenix Hawk PXH-1
- Ostscout
- Spider SDR-5V
- Clint CLNT-2-3T
Gamma-Air (heavy air flight, veteran)
- Thunderbird TRB-D36
- Lucifer LCF-R15
We've got a few of deployment choices to make:

Marik recon units have been detected poking around the orbital defense facility. We can either run them off or see if we can bait whatever larger force they have into attacking said facility. Of course, that runs the risk of the facility getting blown up. Regardless of the approach we take, we'll probably want two lances here - one to take down the recon group and one to hold the facility anyway, just in case.

Skolkov's Scorpions, having gotten their dropship back, have resumed their activities and have requested that we send two lances to handle substantial groups of local militia moving to reinforce their latest target.

Finally, we've detected a single Marik dropship burning from the jump point for orbit. They've wised up and are staying clear of the orbital defense launchers, but we still have a chance to intercept them. The Crescents rep says he'll send some aerospace fighters for backup. As usual, this risks our air assets, but succeeding will likely prevent the Marik guys from getting reinforcements or extra supplies on world.
Black Lives Matter
Stefan Stirzaker

Post by Stefan Stirzaker »

Which joker replaced my torso armour with cardboard? Not funny!
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

GB, you keep taking headshots and we're going to have to take you outta the game for your own good. :(

Let's try to bait in the larger force at the air defense facility. Delta 1 to deal with their recon force, Beta 1 to defend the air base.

Let's send Gamma 1/2 to help our merc allies out.

Definitely send air units to try and shoot that thing down!
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I would say we should attempt to kill the recon group at the ODF. Delta 1 and 2, perhaps, since they will potentially need mobility to catch them?

Beta 1 and 2 to defend the defenseless mercenaries.

Yes on the orbital intercept.
Last edited by gbasden on Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Zenn7 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:16 pm GB, you keep taking headshots and we're going to have to take you outta the game for your own good. :(
At least I'm getting better at dishing them out!
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

gbasden wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:16 pm I would say we should attempt to kill the recon group at the ODF. Delta 1 and 2, perhaps, since they will potentially need mobility to catch them?

ODF - we need 1 lance to chase down the recon force (Delta 1). The second lance is to defend if we are doing the baiting to get the larger force. ould use Gamma 1 here, but Beta 1 here leaves Gamma 1/2 for the mercs and Beta 2 for some heavier defense of our base while Alpha 1 recuperates and gets their mechs fully repaired.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Zenn7 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:43 pm
gbasden wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:16 pm I would say we should attempt to kill the recon group at the ODF. Delta 1 and 2, perhaps, since they will potentially need mobility to catch them?

ODF - we need 1 lance to chase down the recon force (Delta 1). The second lance is to defend if we are doing the baiting to get the larger force. ould use Gamma 1 here, but Beta 1 here leaves Gamma 1/2 for the mercs and Beta 2 for some heavier defense of our base while Alpha 1 recuperates and gets their mechs fully repaired.
Right - the difference was that I was going for the non-baiting approach and simply attempting to wipe out their recon forces. If we want to bait then the second lance would need to be more stand up combatant, yes. My thought was that simply taking out the recon force allows us to redirect more of our big guns to base defense and the mercs.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

gbasden wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:44 pm
Zenn7 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:43 pm

Right - the difference was that I was going for the non-baiting approach and simply attempting to wipe out their recon forces. If we want to bait then the second lance would need to be more stand up combatant, yes. My thought was that simply taking out the recon force allows us to redirect more of our big guns to base defense and the mercs.
Differing goals, gotcha.

I think it's worthwhile to bait them in - deal with this force now when we are expecting and can possibly ambush them or somehow otherwise prep/set up in a more favorable position than we might otherwise.

But I see your point as well. Just destroy the recon, worry about the rest later.

Anyone else have any feedback on the subject?

Nick - we are sending our air units after the dropship, but otherwise have not used them. Since we currently control the air defense base, shouldn't we be able to use our air units w/o any additional concerns besides the enemies we are already fighting on the ground?
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

At this point, we can deploy air support or ground reinforcements as needed (although we usually have limited logistical support so we want to moderate our application of overwhelming force). Going forward, I'll make more of an effort to call out situations where I feel we could use the extra firepower, but a lot of the time, that doesn't make itself known until the scenario is about to be played out.
Black Lives Matter
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

August 17, 3037
As Gamma company moves to support the Scorpions in their endeavors, Alpha-Air burns for orbit to help intercept and destroy a Marik dropship coming in. It's a... Leopard. Not very impressive, as far as dropships go - a standard one carries four mechs, two aerospace fighters, and a small amount of cargo. Well, any chance to blow up a dropship is a good chance.

Alpha-Air is a Lucifer, a Shilone and a Stuka. The latter two are equipped with LRMs in addition to lasers large and medium. The main firepower is still at medium range, but at least we can make an impression at long range. The Scorpions send up two flights of aerospace fighters, a Corsair, a Lucifer, a Thunderbird and a Centurion.

The Leopard launches a pair of heavies, while light and medium fighters swarm up from the surface to escort it.

Round 1:
Spoiler:
Our fighters advance, trying to stay in formation.

Round 2:
Spoiler:
Our target accelerates using manuevering thrusters. He'll have to decelerate before he gets to orbit, but he's got a lot more fuel than our fighters do, so this is our one and only chance to intercept him.

Round 3:
Spoiler:
Those light fighters are *fast*. But if you don't keep your speed down to a reasonable level, you basically get one shot and then have to spend half a minutes turning around and burning fuel to catch up with the enemy you just zipped by. The allied Centurion and the pair of Cheetahs exchange fire, both taking hits. The Centurion does better, blasting through one of the Cheetahs' armor with lasers and SRMs while its armor holds up under laser fire.

Round 4:
Spoiler:
We get into a furball with some of the Marik light fighters. One of the Cheetahs gets nailed by our Lucifer and goes into an uncontrolled spin, while an allied Thunderbird nails the other one, sending it sputtering away on a ballistic trajectory.

Round 5:
Spoiler:
Looks like we got a little carried away and zipped right past the Leopard. Hopefully we can catch up. The allied aircraft do a pretty good job keeping the enemy escorts off balance, blasting away at propulsion and weapons systems.

Round 6:
As it turns out, we can't catch up, and the dropship gets away. At least it was only a Leopard. Plus, we inflicted some serious damage on a number of enemy aerospace fighters, four of which will probably be out of action for a couple of weeks at least. Meanwhile, our fighters are basically unscratched, just need a little armor plate tuneup.

Delta-One reports that the group gathering recon around the orbital defense facility consists of a substantial number of lighter tanks. "We can probably run them off, but can't promise that they haven't got a tally on what we've got there right now. Recommend stationing a lance at the facility just in case."

The exact composition of the units moving in on the allied mercs is still unclear, but they report a dropship and a flight of enemy aircraft in the area. So we'll probably need some heavy duty firepower there as well.
Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

NickAragua wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:16 pm August 17, 3037
As Gamma company moves to support the Scorpions in their endeavors,

The exact composition of the units moving in on the allied mercs is still unclear, but they report a dropship and a flight of enemy aircraft in the area. So we'll probably need some heavy duty firepower there as well.
We have Gamma company moving to support them already, correct? Or do we need to assign someone to this specifically?

Assuming that is already covered, put Beta 1 on base defense duty at the Air Defense Base.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Done and done. Beta-One dispatched to guard the air defense facility.

Since Stefan's Catapult is still being repaired, he gets to drive the spare Grasshopper for the time being, and gets to shake it out in actual combat. During a patrol around our landing zone, Alpha-One encounters an enemy recon group poking around. We make our interception around a small town in what looks like an ancient asteroid impact crater. While high winds prevent enemy hovercraft and choppers from zipping around, they still have a bunch of mechs and tanks with treads.

Round 1:
Spoiler:
"Boss, I've got three lances of light and medium mechs, and a lance of tanks. One click northwest."

"Right, move to engage. Let's see if we can capture that green one with all the antennae."

Round 2:
Spoiler:
Two lances of lighter mechs advance towards Alpha-One while the slower units labor to catch up.

Round 3:
Spoiler:
A Phoenix Hawk makes the mistake of jumping on top of a building on its way to engage our units. Gbasden and El Guapo pump five PPC shots into said building, causing it to collapse as the enemy mech lands on it. The rear armor more or less comes off as the whole thing comes tumbling down.

Round 4:
Spoiler:
Thankfully, the winds aren't so strong that we can't use jump jets. The Phoenix Hawk takes four PPC shots as it tries to get up, El Guapo landing the last one which zaps the lighter mech's left torso pretty good, blasting off the attached arm and ruining the internal structure. The loss of a substantial amount of armor and an arm throws the mech off balance and back down it goes.

A Spider gets in behind Stefan, but Isgrimnur's on the job, his attack spoiling the lighter mech's aim as it avoids the laser and autocannon fire. What it doesn't avoid is the hatchet, which rakes along the right torso then takes off the right leg.

Round 5:
Spoiler:
Isgrimnur and Stefan leave the crippled enemy mechs behind and move on, under covering fire from our heavies' PPCs. We score some hits on bug mechs all around, breaching armor but not inflicting any critical damage.

Round 6:
Spoiler:
Isgrimnur gets the drop on a Spider, taking a laser from a Locust but landing hits of his own on the lighter mech's left side. The softened armor comes apart easily as the hatchet makes contact with the Spider's hip joint, separating the leg from the rest of the mech.

Round 7:
Spoiler:
Stefan jumps southwest to engage a pair of bug mechs, disabling the right torso on a Locust with the large laser. Isgrimnur moves to work on an Icarus, raking an autocannon burst across the right arm to strip off all armor there. The hatchet sinks deep into the enemy mech's right torso, spraying out coolant fluid from a ruptured heat sink and cutting a laser barrel in half. The impact knocks the enemy mech right the hell over.

Before we capture that tank to the northwest with all the communications equipment on it, we're going to need to punch through three Hunchbacks. And hopefully it won't run off if things start to go pear-shaped for the opposition.

Round 8:
Spoiler:
As Isgrimnur jumps in to blast away at a Locust, an Urbanmech hops up on top of a building to get a good shot at him. El Guapo puts a pair of PPCs into the building, which, combined with Isgrimnur's autocannon burst into a couple of support columns, collapses it. The jumping trashcan goes flying down in a cloud of debris. Our Hatchetman is on a roll today, removing the leg from the nearby Locust with a solid chop. The bug mech puts out a heat wave as it hits the ground, cracking engine shielding. A kick from a Wasp that got in behind him forces our mech to take a knee, however.

Stefan performs a similar trick with a nearby Wasp, making that two mechs down on the ground. Except the guy in the Wasp blacks out as he hits sea level.

Round 9:
Spoiler:
The guys in the Locust and Urbanmech bail out. Isgrimnur avoids a substantial amount of fire while getting up, but the effort ruins his gunnery against the Icarus, which has finally managed to get to its feet as well. He's still able to put a boot into the nearby Wasp, though. The impact is a little more effective than expected, with both the mech's arms coming off and the torso sections sparking out.

Round 10:
Spoiler:
Stefan jumps up the hill, moving to disable the enemy command tank. On the way, he zaps a Hunchback with lasers, knocking the mech over as the enemy mechwarrior can't maintain balance.

Round 11:
Spoiler:
Isgrimnur's right arm blinks red as the last of the armor is stripped off by a light autocannon round from the command tank. Ignoring that for a second, he swings the hatchet at the nearby Wasp, removing its the left third of the mech.

Stefan leaves the downed Hunchback alone for a few seconds, taking some time to fire lasers and throw punches at a pursuing Wolverine. The enemy mech whiffs a kick and falls over.

Round 12:
Spoiler:
Gbasden finally gets a good bead on an enemy mech and fires both PPCs. The target Hunchback takes a solid hit to the head and falls over as El Guapo's PPC shot flies overhead.

Isgrimnur continues working on the Icarus, removing armor from the left arm (and most of the structure) with a laser, then cracking the right leg open with the hatchet, sending the mech to the ground.

Stefan hops over to the command Vedette, hitting it with lasers and doing his best not to blow it up. Unfortunately, one of the lasers "brushes" the fuel tank and the vehicle disintegrates. Doh!

With their command vehicle destroyed and having taking significant damage, the rest of the enemy recon group retreats. Well, their medium mech lance retreats, anyway. We keep a bunch of Spiders and Wasps for salvage, although we hand them over to our merc buddies to build up some salvage credit in case we see anything better. The Scorpions should be pretty happy, they wound up with a pair of Spiders, a pair of Wasps, a Locust and an Urbanmech. Well, maybe not too happy, since it's a bunch of crap. The Spiders are good for fast recon, but the rest is crap. They should be able to get one of the Spiders functional, and either use the Urbanmech as is or strip the AC/10 and put it somewhere.

Isgrimnur went on a rampage this fight, taking the legs off of six light mechs. That "melee specialist/master" skill combo is crazy good. Maybe if we can hook up another LB-10X prototype, we can upgrade the Hatchetman with it and use the extra ton for more armor, then we'll really be cooking with gas.

The continued presence of enemy forces near our drop zone is a concern, so we'll be keeping up patrols.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Stefan Stirzaker

Post by Stefan Stirzaker »

Sorry about that capture!

Interesting kick that took off both arms! Bug mechs are made of crap!
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Yeah, that was an unusual kick - from an elevated position. So it took one arm off, and then the bug mech fell down from being kicked, the impact breaking the other arm.

August 20, 3037
Gamma-Two does a decent job turning aside a group of hostiles (nothing major - two mech lances and two tank lances) approaching the allied mercs' area of operations. Although about half of the Marik casualties come from their tank drivers getting too enthusiastic and crashing into trees, rocks or each other. Our guy in the Champion can't stop talking about how he shot a bridge out from under a tank, sending it into the water. In his defense, it was a pretty cool shot.

Three mechs get past them, however, a Phoenix Hawk, a Wasp (missing the arm with the laser) and a Hermes (missing the arm with the AC/5). When informed about this, the merc liaison kind of panics and says that we need to stop them and that they can't handle even the little bit of additional reinforcements.

This just leaves Gamma-One. But Gamma-One has their own problems. Not only do they need to intercept the runaways, but they almost get bushwhacked by a company of mechs and a tank lance. They're in a hurry, so they call in air support. We send in Beta Flight.

We're facing a light lance and a mixed heavy (half tank, half mech) lance, along with a "disposable"-looking lance of Vedettes and hovercraft. The main threat will probably be the Manticore and Archer, but we need to wrap this up very quickly.

And then a Leopard-class dropship zooms in, deploying another medium mech lance and two aerospace fighters. Well, now we know where it went when we couldn't get it in orbit.

The good news is that in addition to Scrub/Warhammer, Hyena/Striker and Cylus/Grasshopper, the liaison is coming along in his Warhammer. Since Xwraith is still out with a concussion, we unpack the Banshee and give it to a replacement mechwarrior - we could use the firepower. Beta Flight is loaded with HE bombs for rapid mech elimination, and consists of a Lucifer, a Lightning (AC/20 plus other stuff) and a Sabre for air superiority.

Round 1:
Spoiler:
We're out of range, but the enemy Archer fires LRMs at Hyena, whiffing badly.

Round 2:
Spoiler:
Did that dropship land on the poor tank?

Hyena blasts a Vedette that fails to properly take cover, putting a nice big hole in the turret with the PPC and a slug round from the autocannon.

The enemy aircraft zip in, firing at us. The Thrush scores a hit on Scrub's Warhammer with a laser, and then eats a laser from Cylus and two PPCs from Scrub. She can see the weapon barrels melting, and the aircraft peels off as fast as it came in.

Round 3:
Spoiler:
Here's something you don't see every day. A Harasser (basically a hover technical mounting a pair of medium lasers) goes a little too fast and skids. Most of the time, it just means that the guy takes longer to complete a turn. Sometimes, it means he'll jam himself into the woods or a building. This time, he rams a Griffin, unintentionally. Not a big deal, it's a 55 ton mech. But this guy trips up and falls over, crunching his LRM launcher. The hovercraft is basically totalled.

The Griffin gets up shortly, firing its remaining weapon, a PPC, at us. Misses, though. Our liaison feeds him a PPC shot in return. Scrub and the Banshee put three PPC shots into the Archer, nearly breaching the right arm armor.

Hyena continues taking light LRM fire from the Leopard, but armor holds up. He engages a Spider that tries to jump in, blasting it with a laser. It runs in for a kick, which is a mistake, as an 80-ton Striker has a much harder kick, and the ligher mech's leg comes off, along with most of the left torso section.

Round 4:
Spoiler:
Cylus moves in on the north flank. A Wasp jumps in to intercept our Grasshopper and immediately regrets it after eating four lasers to the left section which remove most of it. The Archer eats three more PPCs, absorbing the damage but losing a lot of armor. Hyena puts a slug from the autocannon directly into the nearby Vulcan's center torso, exposing the internals to future damage, then rips most of the armor off the left leg with a boot.

Round 5:
Spoiler:
Cylus jumps in behind a Hermes as it runs in, putting the large laser through the weak rear armor. And then a medium alser for good measure. The mech lurches and spikes its heat as catastrophic engine and gyro damage put it out of action completely.

The legged Spider, to everyone's surprise, gets up and fires lasers at Hyena, which was a mistake, as the liaison places a PPC and two medium lasers on it. One of the lasers hits the cockpit and the mechwarrior blacks out.

Hyena exchanges fire with the Wolverine and Vulcan, putting a lot of firepower on the Vulcan and avoiding the Wolverine's kick, which ruins the smaller mech's balance and it falls over as well.

We'll need to back away from that Leopard, its PPCs are murder on the Banshee's armor.

Round 6:
Spoiler:
Here comes our air support. We designate targets for the bombs and get back to business.

The Griffin eats a thirteen-pack of bombs, losing its right torso section. It's technically still intact, but no longer combat-effective.

The Wolverine has some trouble getting up, scraping a bunch of armor off before finally moving away. But not far enough to avoid Hyena's weapons fire. In addition to eating a bunch of bombs from the Lightning, Hyena lands an autocannon slug and three lasers on it. An AC/10 burst and an SRM salvo from the Banshee set off the enemy mech's SRM ammo, putting it out of action for good.

As Cylus moves in on the Archer, it fires an LRM salvo at the Banshee, blowing off the right arm. Cylus' weapons fire hits but isn't as precise due to a center torso shot from the nearby Manticore, which cracks the barrel on the Grasshopper's large laser. The Banshee fires back as well, hitting with its remaining PPC. The Archer is unable to stay up under the sustained fire and falls on its arm, crunching just about every actuator.

At this point, the enemy dropship blasts the Banshee with LRMs, and a few lucky missiles find their way into the assault mech's SRM magazine, destroying it completely. The Banshee mech jock gets a nice aerial view of the battlefield from the ejection seat.

The Icarus and the liaison's Warhammer exchange fire, the Icarus coming out decidedly ahead by cracking the larger mech's engine shielding. Although it winds up on the ground, you can get up pretty quickly. Fixing a fusion engine takes longer.
Spoiler:
Round 7:
Spoiler:
We push our attack, having disabled a large chunk of the enemy heavies. If we can just take out one or two more, they'll break and we can move on. With that in mind, Hyena blasts the Vulcan with cluster shot from the autocannon, destroying most of the actuators on its left leg and then takes the right arm off with the laser, sending the lighter mech flopping to the ground. Probably. We never get to find out because Scrub fires a PPC shot at it and lights up its on-board machine gun ammo. She then uses short range weapons to take the right arm off the nearby Shadow Hawk, and gives it a solid boot as well.

Our Lightning fighter joins Cylus in blasting away at the Archer, putting an AC/20 round through the weakened center torso and destroying the heavy mech.

Our Sabre takes some anti-aircraft fire, but manages to stay in the air.

Having destroyed most of their mechs (they've only got a beat-up Icarus, a Crab and a Shadow Hawk about to fall apart), the Marik units beat a retreat to their dropship, which rapidly turns around and takes off in the other direction. That son of a bitch is going to pay for our Banshee.

The liaison stays behind to cool his mech off and supervise salvage operations, while Gamma-One moves to intercept the few guys that got away from Gamma-Two - the enemies don't even bother to engage.

Salvage is ok - we take the Archer hulk for spare parts, and grab the Spider and Hermes. We also salvage an LRM-carrying Striker from Gamma-Two's battlefield, as we're running surprisingly low on LRM-15 ammo. Losing the Banshee is a shame, it was a good mech and we put a lot of resources into turning it from a bad joke to a battlefield terror.

This just leaves Delta-One (and maybe Beta-One, depending on how Delta-One does) defending the air defense facility.
Black Lives Matter
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

How long to repair my Grasshopper?
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

"Patience, Grasshopper."
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:28 pm How long to repair my Grasshopper?
The only meaningful damage is the large laser, so it should be ready for the next set of sorties. Unless the techs mess it up (by rolling a 2 or 3 on a 2d6).
Black Lives Matter
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Freyland wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:51 pm "Patience, Grasshopper."
Well played, sir. :lol:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NickAragua wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:13 pm Here's something you don't see every day. A Harasser (basically a hover technical mounting a pair of medium lasers) goes a little too fast and skids. Most of the time, it just means that the guy takes longer to complete a turn. Sometimes, it means he'll jam himself into the woods or a building. This time, he rams a Griffin, unintentionally. Not a big deal, it's a 55 ton mech. But this guy trips up and falls over, crunching his LRM launcher. The hovercraft is basically totalled.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Good job Gamma! (Err... except the Banshee pilot. Don't think we'll be giving him another assault mech right away...)
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Delta-One moves in to intercept a group of lighter tanks and (and a lance of light mechs) poking around the air defense facility, attacking as they struggle to find a route through some dense woods. We successfully pull off yet another point-blank ambush, catching the enemy recon unit off guard.

Round 1:
Spoiler:
The sight of Paingod's Griffin suddenly jumping out of its concealed position in the woods causes a Saracen hovertank to crash into a rock outcropping as it crosses a small lake. The motive system damage is too much and it sinks. Our mechwarrior smirks, then zaps a Harasser missile platform with the PPC, disintegrating the glorified technical. Archinerd blasts an LTV-4 with lasers and SRMs, causing it to splash down in the water, while Freyland takes apart a Galleon tank with lasers and SRMs from the streak launcher. A pretty productive opening salvo, I would say. Return fire is pretty ineffective.

Round 2:
Spoiler:
Freyland continues hopping around, immobilizing a Hunter tank by punching through the armor with lasers then sending SRMs through the left side into the engine block. A Firestarter delivers a laser and some anti-infantry weapons to our Quickdraw, to minor effect. Although the surrounding woods catch on fire from the liberal use of flamers.

Archinerd's firing against a Saracen tank is ineffective, but the Dervish gets a solid kick in on a nearby Locust, blowing out multiple actuators on the right leg, along with a heat sink, which forces the bird-like bug mech to a knee.

Round 3:
Spoiler:
Archinerd's target Locust gets up, but leg actuator damage slows it down considerably. While trading fire with the Saracen over the nearby lake, Archinerd takes a moment to give the bug mech a solid boot, ripping the damaged leg off entirely. Along with half the torso and probably a good chunk of the engine shielding.

Freyland has to vacate the blazing inferno and engages a laser-mounting Vedette. To the south, Madmarcus disables another Vedette with lasers - it proved to be a tough little tank, taking several large and medium laser shots as well as multiple SRM salvos before its treads gave out.

Round 4:
Spoiler:
Another Harasser crashes into a tree to the north. I guess it is difficult to navigate. Freyland continues brawling with the Firestarter and Liao-variant Vedette, delivering a significant amount of damage to the Firestarter's armor and crushing the tank. "Just you and me now." our mechwarrior says with a grin.

Round 5:
Spoiler:
The helicopter tries to avoid Paingod's line of fire, but should have also been paying attention to the nearby cliff, and breaks a few chunks off of it. More chunks off itself, unfortunately. Paingod wasn't even aiming at the thing. The Griffin's PPC levels at the Saracen that Archinerd was working on and blows it away instead. At which point a Saladin zips in and blasts the Paingod in the right arm, disabling the PPC and nearly taking the arm off. AC/20s hit hard. So does Archinerd, missing with weapons fire but putting out a boot as the hovertank zips by and flipping it over into the water. Paingod's mech staggers, but our mechwarrior has the presence of mind to stomp on a nearby Vedette, the Griffin's boot going through the front of the tank and into the crew compartment. Ew.

Freyland takes a few seconds to cool off while Madmarcus unsuccessfully tries to blow away a Hetzer, inflicting heavy damage but failing to destroy or disable the assault gun.

The rest of the enemy force retreats - the vehicles are just getting ripped apart and the light mechs have no desire to tangle with their betters. Pretty even kill distribution on this one.

Salvage is the crappy tanks, but we grab the Saracens to strip their armor and LRM ammo, plus the LTV-4 for a replacement PPC, just in case. We also capture a few vehicle crew members. Our merc pals have some questions for them, so we will hand most over once they recover from the medical care.

The techs are unable to repair Cylus' Grasshopper before the next set of sorties, same going for Paingod's Griffin. We've got plenty of spare mechs, though. We'll stick Paingod into an Ostroc - same movement profile, and all the overheating that our mechwarrior is used to, but the weapons loadout is two large lasers instead of the PPC/LRM combo. Stefan's Catapult is back in action, so Cylus can get into the spare Grasshopper. It kind of smells, but at least you can just import the HUD settings from your mech. The rest of the force is green, with a reserve unit substituting for Xwraith in Gamma-One.

Enemy ground units continue poking around the air defense facility. If we want to hold on to it, we'll need to commit three lances, which should be enough to handle the known Marik forces in the area. We'll also need to keep some units back near the dropships, as we still haven't run everyone off it seems.

The liaison informs us that the Scorpions have located a major supply depot, and wants us to send a lance over to carry out detailed scans of designated buildings. After that, depending on the results of the scans, we'll either want to blow it up or capture it. Either way, it's being considered a strategic objective for the purpose of fulfilling our contract.

The Crescents also request our support for an operation, asking for a lance to help hold off Marik forces and prevent reinforcement of a facility where some of their mechwarriors and tank crews are being held. This isn't strictly required per the terms of our contract, but we're going to be here for a while so it may be worth it to help them out.
Black Lives Matter