The Unavoidable 2019 Weight Loss Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

The Unavoidable 2019 Weight Loss Thread

Post by Isgrimnur »

Prepare your scales. Weigh-ins start tomorrow.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Eel Snave

Re: The Unavoidable 2019 Weight Loss Thread

Post by Eel Snave »

I've porked up considerably this year, so I GUESS I'm going to have to be in on this one.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I gained 2 lbs last year, which isn't much, but we're just starting the worst weight-gain months. As usual, I shall endeavor to hold the line until April. Will set up my baseline tomorrow.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Code: Select all

01/01 192.7
TOTAL 0

Miles walked this week 0
Miles walked this year: 0

Miles walked 2018: 449.4
Miles walked 2017: 514.5
Miles walked 2016: 725.8
Miles walked 2015: 593.9
Miles walked 2014: 735.7

This year's goal is modest, and therefore realistic: simply to get comfortably below 190 (meaning 185 or less) by mid-year and stabilize there. If I succeed at that, I'll consider making a run at 180. Between now and April, the goal is merely not to gain any more weight. Historically, I always peak in March or April.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

01/01 - 250.2
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

01/01 	305.7
01/11 	304.0
01/18 	300.3
02/01	298.2
Goal is to get down to 200 this year. I'll be happy to get to 250. We'll see..
Last edited by Cylus Maxii on Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Zork

Post by Zork »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:36 pm

01/01 305.7
As a person who used to weigh 311lbs I want to encourage you that you can do it! It won't happen overnight and don't stress if you feel like you're not progressing fast enough. The key is finding a plan that works for you and that you can stick to.

There may be some setbacks but take each day at a time and don't beat yourself up!

Good luck!

-Zork
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

After getting down to a personal best around October and weighing in at ~225, I ran face-first into stress eating and the holidays like a boring machine tackling a wall of sandstone. January 2nd saw me weigh in at 239.8 first thing in the morning.

I'm not pleased with myself. At all.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I started last year off well, but when Michelle moved in, all of my eating routines vanished. The last three months have seen me reverse my gains from the previous nine.

It doesn't help that for the past few years, my version of "willpower" was "don't buy crappy food once a week and I don't need willpower the rest of the week." Now I'm not the only one with food input!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Zork wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:23 pm
Cylus Maxii wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:36 pm

01/01 305.7
As a person who used to weigh 311lbs I want to encourage you that you can do it! It won't happen overnight and don't stress if you feel like you're not progressing fast enough. The key is finding a plan that works for you and that you can stick to.
Focus on losing one pound this week, and keep doing that. It looks hopeless when you think of the whole 50 or 75 or 100 lbs that you really want to drop, but one pound this week? You can do that. And if by chance you lose 2-3 lbs, that counts as a huge victory.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I appreciate the support. I'm positive and not particularly stressed about it. I actually am down 13 lbs. from where I was in October. I just need to keep it lean and green nutritionally, and keep active physically. I had a number of physical health issues last year that have largely resolved in 4Q2018. So I'm hopeful.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

So looks like I put on a few lbs over the holiday season. Going to departmental luncheons are a double whammy when lunch is your gym time. 165 is my current target, 160 is my goal. I was hovering around 164 in early November.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:58 pm 172.

So looks like I put on a few lbs over the holiday season. Going to departmental luncheons are a double whammy when lunch is your gym time. 165 is my current target, 160 is my goal. I was hovering around 164 in early November.
Are you a Hobbit or a Slenderman?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

~5'10" and bumping against BMI 25.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:49 pm ~5'10" and bumping against BMI 25.
A hobbit whose metabolism calls for fewer breakfasts than he's accustomed to.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I failed in the 2018 thread, posting a 0.57% gain in fatness for the year. I start off 2019 at a portly 209.2, and at least half the shirts in my closet do not fit at the moment.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:51 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:49 pm ~5'10" and bumping against BMI 25.
A hobbit whose metabolism calls for fewer breakfasts than he's accustomed to.
Sadly, I rarely eat breakfast. Usually nothing but water before lunch on weekdays. Weekends, all bets are off.

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

01/01 202
goal: 190... 185 would be great. I've held steady at 205-210 for years.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

It's been a bit frustrating as I don't eat a lot compared to my family/colleagues. I basically have a coffee/breakfast bar (KIND bar), a small lunch (i.e. salad/low-fat dressing or 6" turkey sub), and a fairly healthy dinner depending on the company.

At almost 48, the metabolism is slowing to the point I have to do something (walk/workout) every day. I'm 5'8" and sitting roughly around 173 lbs. I fluctuate between 168 and 173. This holiday, I could "see" the weight on my stomach (which is where it goes). It took just two weeks for that 5 lbs.

F&#$ing metabolism.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I hear that.

I pretty much have to do strenuous exercise 4-5 days a week and walk 10 miles or so outside of that just to hold par.

My lunch workout is at least a 1.5 mile run (8 min mile or faster), 50 situps, and some kind of light weights.

MYT
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

I'm in this year.

1/3 - 262
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

1/3 - 198.5
I actually peaked at my highest weight ever - 201.5 - over the holidays. It was not a proud moment.

However, I'm back on the wagon. I ate total garbage over break, but have since cut out sodas and fast food. Been doing light lunches like hummus and veggies, and have done mostly vegetarian dinners.

I'm back to running regularly as well, so the weight should start dropping off.

Goal is 180.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:00 pm I hear that.

I pretty much have to do strenuous exercise 4-5 days a week and walk 10 miles or so outside of that just to hold par.

My lunch workout is at least a 1.5 mile run (8 min mile or faster), 50 situps, and some kind of light weights.
I was making some progress until winter hit. It takes 15 minutes to walk around the pond in front of the building at work, and I was mostly giving up lunch so I could make 4 circuits, plus another couple of miles walking the dog/kids when I got home. Cold and wind have put an end to this, although this weekend I expect to get a few miles in. Tomorrow if my wife manages to get our daughter down for a nap before she goes to work, I might actually go running a bit with my son.
Black Lives Matter
Zork

Post by Zork »

Buatha wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:46 pm It's been a bit frustrating as I don't eat a lot compared to my family/colleagues. I basically have a coffee/breakfast bar (KIND bar), a small lunch (i.e. salad/low-fat dressing or 6" turkey sub), and a fairly healthy dinner depending on the company.

At almost 48, the metabolism is slowing to the point I have to do something (walk/workout) every day. I'm 5'8" and sitting roughly around 173 lbs. I fluctuate between 168 and 173. This holiday, I could "see" the weight on my stomach (which is where it goes). It took just two weeks for that 5 lbs.

F&#$ing metabolism.
Back in July I started doing 16/8 intermittent fasting (IF), eating from 12-8pm and fasting for the remaining 16 hours. I quickly transitioned to IF 18/6 (eating from 1-7pm and fasting for 18 hours). I was also working out hard for 60-75 minutes 4-5 times per week. I am 49 years old, 6'4" and weighed 253.4lbs at the time with 26% body fat.

I was tracking my food and was taking in between 2400-2600 calories with an approximate 40% protein/30% carb/30% fat macro split.

Over an 8 week period of IF and daily workouts, my weight did not budge. It stayed the same at +/- 3 lbs. I had good gains in strength with a small fat % loss, but my weight stayed roughly the same. On September 24th I weighed 250.9 pounds.

Through a series of work-related issues, I found myself skipping lunch two days in a row and only had dinner on those days. Since it was relatively easy to skip lunch I decided to try out one-meal-a-day (OMAD) and completely stopped all exercise. I did OMAD M-F and 18/6 IF on the weekends. During the first week I lost about 4 pounds and found the motivation I needed to continue with OMAD. Two weeks later I converted to daily OMAD and steadily lost 1-2 pounds per week. I'm still doing OMAD to this day with the occasional break for special occasions like Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's. I eat between 5-7pm every day and consume around 2500 calories.

My point being is that I lost almost 20 pounds over 2 months eating the exact same as I had before but changed the duration of my eating window
and eliminated exercise. I'm not saying that this plan is right for everyone, but it definitely worked for me.

If you had asked me back in September if I would try OMAD, my answer would have been a resounding, "Hell no!". I never thought I would be able to handle OMAD, but I eased into it slowly over a few months and am now thinking about trying multi-day fasts.

Today I weigh 234 pounds with a slight stall over Christmas/New Year's. My goal for 2019 is somewhere between 220 and 225 if I can maintain it. The lowest I've been over the last 5 years was 218, but that was too difficult to maintain and I eventually leveled off around 230.

-Zork
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:48 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:00 pm I hear that.

I was making some progress until winter hit. It takes 15 minutes to walk around the pond in front of the building at work, and I was mostly giving up lunch so I could make 4 circuits, plus another couple of miles walking the dog/kids when I got home. Cold and wind have put an end to this, although this weekend I expect to get a few miles in.
Gym and indoor track at work have changed my life.
Tomorrow if my wife manages to get our daughter down for a nap before she goes to work, I might actually go running a bit with my son.
My neice started running cross country and my BIL started training with her. Done wonders for him.

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I need to train my son to pace himself for endurance, not just sprint. He's getting good at sprinting - a few months ago, we did 7 block-long sprints and he legitimately beat me 3 times (I won 3, and the last one, he would have won but slowed down, grabbed my hand and said "we will finish together, we are both winners.") I also need to get my endurance back up.

I have a hamster wheel in the basement, but I think it needs some bolts tightened. It's huge and heavy, but shakes a lot with my fat ass on it and moves around a bit. That makes it noisy, and I can't concentrate on my audiobooks when it's noisy. I don't think I've used it for about a year now. A failed objective over last week's 4-day weekend was to get that back in business.
Black Lives Matter
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Never done one of these before, so I guess I gotta start somewhere...

6'1", 215, 44 years old. Would like to get to under 200 before spring break. Not going anywhere, just sick of being fat.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

01/06 - 248.0
01/01 - 250.2
Zork

Post by Zork »

2019 Goal = 220-225 lbs

01/06 = 234.6
-Zork
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm starting Spartan classes on the 19th. It's through our employee fitness center and I work with a lot of the folks there, so I'll feel a bit less awkward than if it was total strangers.

The nice thing about starting now is that they'll be getting a bunch of newbies, so they'll probably cater to the beginners for awhile. From my running I'm in fairly decent shape cardio-wise, but I have no strength at all. I figured this would be the best way to get that aspect of my fitness going, because I need someone that will kick my ass on a regular basis.

One reason I'm looking forward to it is that I've seen the results first-hand. The guy who sits right in front of me started a year ago, and had not really worked out since high school. He's now finished a Sprint and a Beast, and can outrun me any day of the week.

I honestly don't care about running any of the races. I just want to be well-rounded "fit" for once in my life.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

It's probably ambitious for me, but here goes nothing. Would like to drop 20 pounds by Memorial Day.

1.8 - 220.8 lbs
Hodor.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

01/08 191.9
01/01 192.7
TOTAL -0.8

Miles walked this week 12
Miles walked this year: 12

Miles walked 2018: 449.4
Miles walked 2017: 514.5
Miles walked 2016: 725.8
Miles walked 2015: 593.9
Miles walked 2014: 735.7
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Lost about 20 pounds last year to get me to 215 to start this year (diet change over the summer). This year, I'd like to get comfortably under 200 so even on my bad weeks I don't cross over to the dark side again.

01/08 - 215
Black Lives Matter
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

I'm in this year.

1/10 - 259
1/03 - 262
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

01/12 - 245.4
01/06 - 248.0
01/01 - 250.2
Zork

Post by Zork »

2019 Goal = 220-225 lbs

01/13 = 228.2
01/06 = 234.6
YTD Progress = -6.4lbs

After watching several videos from this guy (warning: NSFW language), I took the plunge late last week and decided to try a multi-day fast. He even did a mini-documentary where he ate nothing but McDonald's for 30 days.

The last time I ate anything was 7pm on Thursday 1/10. I don't have a planned stopping time. I'm going to ride this fasting wave as long as I can. I'm just going to listen to my body and will slowly work my way back to solid food when I start to feel hungry. I'm sure I will regain a few pounds as I start to incorporate food back into my daily routine but completing a multi-day fast is a huge confidence booster!

-Zork
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:00 am I failed in the 2018 thread, posting a 0.57% gain in fatness for the year. I start off 2019 at a portly 209.2, and at least half the shirts in my closet do not fit at the moment.
1/13/19 - 207.4 - a touch of the plague my wife has been suffering for a week is probably the cause of the slight drop rather than any increase of exercise or decrease in calories.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

1/2 = 172.3

1/14 = 170.2
Entering my difficult zone.

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

1.15 - 218.8 lbs
1.8 - 220.8 lbs
Change to date: -2.0 lbs
Hodor.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »