Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

pr0ner

Re: Random randomness

Post by pr0ner »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:23 pm You don't have a toilet in your kitchen?
Not everyone is as cool as Rafi from The League.

Hodor.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:18 pm
“Only flush the three Ps: pee, paper and poo,” he said. “Anything else needs to go into the bin. The same applies in the kitchen.
Smooth should weigh in here. Pee, poo ok for the kitchen? I mean that opens up some options if true.
That quote is...unfortunate. I've seen some crazy things before but never a kitchen area being used as a bathroom. :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:27 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:18 pm
“Only flush the three Ps: pee, paper and poo,” he said. “Anything else needs to go into the bin. The same applies in the kitchen.
Smooth should weigh in here. Pee, poo ok for the kitchen? I mean that opens up some options if true.
That quote is...unfortunate. I've seen some crazy things before but never a kitchen area being used as a bathroom. :D
When you are making something like risotto or roux and just gotta go, what do you do? You can't stop stirring...
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

You're forgetting college.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I can't believe how much money I spent on my credit card in December.

I paid off my credit card on December 10th. All of it. Between then I've gotten two paychecks, so I thought I built up a bit of reserve.

Then came the new credit card statement for January 10th... WTF... 2300 or so. Yet I know I charged every penny of it. $20-30 a day for food, weekend spending like movie or eating out, shopping for groceries on the weekends, Amazon stuff that added up to several hundred, $300 for Lyft subscription plus another 100-150 for additional rides, I just didn't realize they added up to that much. Hah!

EDIT: Turns out Amazon stuff added up to over $1000. Hah. :)

EDIT: Just paid $700 for my two-teeth cap/crown. And that's with insurance paying 50%. I should have used my FSA to pay it, but I imagine I still have a way to go for pay for the rest of my expenses (I still have more than a few teeth to fix).
Last edited by Kasey Chang on Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

My personal heater died. I kinda knew it would as I can hear the fan motor going out.

I eventually found the place to write the seller on Amazon. With no questions, I got a note that one will be shipped out to be in 3 days. Hmmm... Okay.

In the meanwhile, I bought a better one. This one articulates (i.e. sweeps back and forth like a fan) and has 2 settings (medium/high). Same price.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

How I spent my Sunday evening...

“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Holman

Post by Holman »

hentzau wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:19 pm How I spent my Sunday evening...
Awesome!

Our best friends' daughter does womens' roller derby. Her game name is "Susan B. Anarchy".
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wheres the big banked track?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

In her younger days my wife did a little bit of pro wrestling. I don't know what her moniker was.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Something a bit comical in my time of craziness after losing little Donna.

A scam mail..I did chuckle and thought it enough to report it.

--------------------

Greetings and Merry Xmas from CEO of Microsoft, Bill and Melinda Gates!!

Bill E-mail: bill.melinda@ I REMOVED THIS
Address: Microsoft corporation one microsoft way
Redmond, WA 98052-6399 USA
Locations: Microsoft locations around the world
Stock: MSFT

Greetings and Merry Xmas from CEO of Microsoft, Bill and Melinda Gates! !!

I am Mr/Mrs Bill and Melinda Gates, I'm writing to Inform you about your Bank Cheque Brought by the (IMF) International Monetary Fund and World Bank Group for your compensation.
The Microsoft has been mandated to Delivered the Bank draft cheque Contains Sum of $29 million USD to your home Address, Get back to me urgently With your personal Details Such as;
Your full name...............
Your home address............
Your Phone number............
Sex/Age....................
Occupation ...............

-------------------------------------

Thats it. I liked the 'The Microsoft' part. :) I removed the email part. Its a email in the Czech Republic.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:37 pm Wheres the big banked track?
I was thinking the same thing.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

So this happened about a mile and a half from home at our local supremarket - could see the helicopters all over the place and it made me redirect my Saturday errands away from it.
An hours-long standoff in Novato, California came to a peaceful end yesterday when police officers used a police robot to deliver a vape pen to the suspect, who had threatened to burn down a gas station, reports the Sacramento Bee and Marin Independent Journal (via Gizmodo).
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

100 years ago today...the Great Molasses Flood. Full story and some pics at the link.
Hollywood has made movies starring all manner of disasters, from rogue tornadoes and invading aliens to giant solar flares that fry the earth. But even the masters of make-believe haven’t conceived of anything as strange — or strangely devastating — as what happened that afternoon in January 1919.

One hundred years later, it’s a calamity that still seems as darkly comical as it is unimaginable: A 15-foot wave of molasses raced — yes, raced — through Boston’s North End. But what sounds like a B movie directed by Roger Corman is no joke: Twenty-one people died and dozens more were badly injured. Unsuspecting men, women, and children were smothered — asphyxiated, really — by a tsunami of viscous brown syrup, and when the bodies were finally recovered, the Suffolk County medical examiner said they looked “as though covered in heavy oil skins . . . eyes and ears, mouths and noses filled.”
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I remember reading about that previously. Probably a link from DubiousQuality. Crazy story.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

TheMix wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:04 pm I remember reading about that previously. Probably a link from DubiousQuality. Crazy story.
I think it was one of the Drunk History episodes.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

William Harley and Arthur Davidson, 1914

Enlarge Image
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Daehawk wrote:
There are a lot of angry bullies on the internet feeling targeted. Hmm.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

My wife made a similar comment, to which I replied "Well, they're making it easy to know who needs to be shipped into space without oxygen"
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Missing cow
It was Father’s Day weekend last year when Betsy disappeared. Amid the bustle of Anchorage’s annual rodeo, the 3-year-old cow slipped out of her pen. Soon enough, she was headed for Far North Bicentennial Park, a 4,000-acre expanse of rugged forest at the outskirts of the city.

The real-life cowboys at the rodeo saddled up their horses and headed for the park, but it was too late: Betsy was gone. And six months later, she’s still on the run, having successfully evaded local law enforcement’s attempt to scour the area with a drone and her owner’s repeated efforts to track her down.
It’s not that Betsy has vanished altogether. In fact, Koloski estimates that he’s gotten dozens of tips from joggers, bikers, and cross-country skiers who have spotted the wayward cow calmly meandering down the park’s snow-covered trails. Often, he’ll wake up to a call from the Anchorage Police Department, letting him know that the residents of a nearby subdivision have reported a cow on the loose. But each time, it’s the same routine: “I go out there, I’m standing in her tracks and she’s nowhere to be found.”

On Tuesday, officers from the Anchorage Police Department searched for the rogue cow with an infrared-equipped drone as part of a training exercise. But after two hours, they came back empty-handed.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:58 am Missing cow
It was Father’s Day weekend last year when Betsy disappeared. Amid the bustle of Anchorage’s annual rodeo, the 3-year-old cow slipped out of her pen. Soon enough, she was headed for Far North Bicentennial Park, a 4,000-acre expanse of rugged forest at the outskirts of the city.

The real-life cowboys at the rodeo saddled up their horses and headed for the park, but it was too late: Betsy was gone. And six months later, she’s still on the run, having successfully evaded local law enforcement’s attempt to scour the area with a drone and her owner’s repeated efforts to track her down.
It’s not that Betsy has vanished altogether. In fact, Koloski estimates that he’s gotten dozens of tips from joggers, bikers, and cross-country skiers who have spotted the wayward cow calmly meandering down the park’s snow-covered trails. Often, he’ll wake up to a call from the Anchorage Police Department, letting him know that the residents of a nearby subdivision have reported a cow on the loose. But each time, it’s the same routine: “I go out there, I’m standing in her tracks and she’s nowhere to be found.”

On Tuesday, officers from the Anchorage Police Department searched for the rogue cow with an infrared-equipped drone as part of a training exercise. But after two hours, they came back empty-handed.
WHERE'S THE BEEF?!?
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

If Betsy gets caught, somebody should buy her and make her the poster girl for free range cattle.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

This morning I noticed my 9yo had a Calvin & Hobbes collection checked out from the library. I proudly told him that I had the complete Calvin & Hobbes in the closet in my office.

Son: Can I read it?
Me: No.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:19 pm This morning I noticed my 9yo had a Calvin & Hobbes collection checked out from the library. I proudly told him that I had the complete Calvin & Hobbes in the closet in my office.

Son: Can I read it?
Me: No.
Lol.

I was a huge Calvin and Hobbes fan (wasn't everyone?) until I discovered Bloom County, then C&H just wouldn't do it for me.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

On further thought I think I will give him access to them. They've already been read a couple times and I am not big on display pieces. If they get roughed up, I am not really sweating it too much.

I, on the other hand, never got into Bloom County. Calvin and Hobbes was the pinnacle for me.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Bloom County never did it for me, either.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I enjoyed BC well enough but it was replaced by C&H but more importantly there is something sadly humorous about a a dad not letting his child read his C&H books.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Th real risk with C&H is that it may teach a child to be an even bigger smartass. My child does not really need the help. On the plus side it could make him better at it which just might make me proud.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I like how C&H is complete fantasy until an adult enters the picture and it reverts to the mundane.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:02 pm Th real risk with C&H is that it may teach a child to be an even bigger smartass. My child does not really need the help. On the plus side it could make him better at it which just might make me proud.
Absolutely. How old? I'm not a dad so I can't empathize. I know my kids would have been cynics and smart asses (how could they not by nature or nurture) and I'd be alright with that. As long as they weren't bullies along with being a smartass. That would not fly. You can be smug. You can trade barbs. You can't be cruel.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Number Nine. Number Nine. Number Nine.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Trying to remember life in the 4th grade and coming up short with regard to maturity and what I could handle. I was just learning about sex and just learning to play to AD&D, Monty Haul style... And there we go, at nine would be the a monthly read of the brand new comic strip of Phil and Dixie, eventually leading me to Myth series of books some years later. Kid can handle it. ;)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

In 4th grade I wrote a 17 page book report on Deathwatch. A parent/teacher meeting followed. My takeaway was that my handwriting, which was never that great to beginwith, really faded after about 10 pages.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Chris Hansen arrested..not underage related....which would have been weird.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/39801970/to ... ing-checks

Enlarge Image
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

USGS just confirmed that there's a minor Earthquake (3.0?) just across the bay from San Francisco. The weird part is... same thing also happened the day before. Should I be worried? :)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Got a phone call this morning from an Indian who's name is Mr. Williams. I kept asking him what! so many times I told him his accent was too thick and I couldn't understand a word he said and then hung up.
Five minutes later he calls and the first thing I said before he could give his spiel was who do you represent? Publisher's Clearing House, so I told him I wasn't interested and his accent was still too thick and hung up.
As we are on the do not call Iist I can't imagine them phishing or what his scam could be.
If you're going to scam someone at least make it so they can understand you.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

There are scammers pretending to be Publishers Clearing House. They tell you that you've won, but need to pay a fee and taxes before you can receive your prize.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Indians have a reputation with me. They have tried to scam me so many times that when ever I hear an Indian accent I automatically assume it's scam.
That last guy when I asked him who he represented got all tongue tied and confused for about 10 seconds.
They need to train them better.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:04 am Chris Hansen arrested..not underage related....which would have been weird.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/39801970/to ... ing-checks

Enlarge Image
What is he getting $13,000 worth of promotional materials for? Some personal project? Seems odd.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT