Shutdown

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: Shutdown

Post by Isgrimnur »

One down
The Senate took its first votes Thursday on competing Republican and Democratic plans to end the partial government shutdown, now in its 34th day. The Republican bill includes funding for President Trump’s border wall while the Democratic plan does not.

The Republican measure failed to win the 60 votes needed to move forward, while the Democratic bill was expected to be rejected as well. But some lawmakers and analysts have expressed hope that the exercise could lead to more serious talks about a compromise.
The measure failed on a 50 to 47 vote, with Sens. Mike Lee (R-Utah) and Tom Cotton (R-Ark.) crossing party lines to vote against the measure and Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) joining most Republicans in voting yes.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:27 pm One down
The Senate took its first votes Thursday on competing Republican and Democratic plans to end the partial government shutdown, now in its 34th day. The Republican bill includes funding for President Trump’s border wall while the Democratic plan does not.

The Republican measure failed to win the 60 votes needed to move forward, while the Democratic bill was expected to be rejected as well. But some lawmakers and analysts have expressed hope that the exercise could lead to more serious talks about a compromise.
The measure failed on a 50 to 47 vote, with Sens. Mike Lee (R-Utah) and Tom Cotton (R-Ark.) crossing party lines to vote against the measure and Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) joining most Republicans in voting yes.
Or six down, depending on your perspective.
The measure failed on a 52-to-44 vote. A half-dozen Republicans, including Sens. Lamar Alexander (Tenn.), Susan Collins (Maine), Cory Gardner (Colo.), Johnny Isakson (Ga.), Lisa Murkowski (Alaska) and Mitt Romney (Utah), defied Trump, voting with Democrats in favor of the measure.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Who didn't vote?

At least the Democratic plan is more popular by 2 votes.
"A lie can run round the world before the truth has got its boots on." -Terry Pratchett, The Truth
"The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to those who think they've found it." -Terry Pratchett, Monstrous Regiment
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Has Trump come out against the (R) defectors yet? Don't want to miss that Twitter rant.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Just to point out, the government has been partially shut down for 5% of this presidency. (if you include the earlier 3 day shutdown).
stessier

Post by stessier »

According to 538, the government workers back pay owed to them will hit $6 billion tomorrow.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

stessier wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:46 pm According to 538, the government workers back pay owed to them will hit $6 billion tomorrow.
Hope they get some interest on that involuntary loan.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

stessier wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:46 pm According to 538, the government workers back pay owed to them will hit $6 billion tomorrow.
Hey, that'll fund the wall!
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

I've just been watching Chuck Todd and crew talking about a *huge* breakthrough now that the votes have fallen in the Senate. About how it looks like Trump has capitulated. After which they played remarks by Trump where he did sound like he was going to compromise....and then he kept speaking...and rambling...and you could see him start to double down again by the end. He is such a loon. Something along the lines of...I want to let the system work it through...I can still do things on my own. Whenever I hear him speak at length I'm always struck by how unhinged he actually is.

Anyway the vague outline we are hearing is that they'll do a temporary CR if it includes a 'down payment' on wall. Whatever the heck that means. Guess we'll see shortly. Maybe it truly is a crack forming but the MTP panel was getting excited about a short-term CR with the debt ceiling coming up in a month and a half....seems a bit premature right now.
Defiant wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:53 pm Or six down, depending on your perspective.
The measure failed on a 52-to-44 vote. A half-dozen Republicans, including Sens. Lamar Alexander (Tenn.), Susan Collins (Maine), Cory Gardner (Colo.), Johnny Isakson (Ga.), Lisa Murkowski (Alaska) and Mitt Romney (Utah), defied Trump, voting with Democrats in favor of the measure.
Trump said that was because of the Hurricane funds in the bills. Looking at the states the R's represent...that looks pretty on point.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Did he really have a press conference saying "we won the Senate vote"?This is something truly wrong with this man.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

The White House is preparing a draft proclamation for President Donald Trump to declare a national emergency along the southern border and has identified more than $7 billion in potential funds for his signature border wall should he go that route, according to internal documents reviewed by CNN.

Trump has not ruled out using his authority to declare a national emergency and direct the Defense Department to construct a border wall as Congress and the White House fight over a deal to end the government shutdown. But while Trump's advisers remain divided on the issue, the White House has been moving forward with alternative plans that would bypass Congress.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/24/politics ... index.html
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:33 pm Did he really have a press conference saying "we won the Senate vote"?This is something truly wrong with this man.
Yes.
Hodor.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's such a huge insight into his thought process. In his (tiny) mind, his side somehow won, so nothing else matters. Not the actual deadlock and certainly not the federal workers being fed by food pantries and volunteer donations. So. Much. Winning.
malchior

Post by malchior »

There was also the part of his little speech when asked about the Ross comments implied Federal workers can just work with the banks for those loans or their local grocery stores. I guess to get free food. I don't know. The magic of the market at play or something. It all sounds pretty realistic.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:41 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:33 pm Did he really have a press conference saying "we won the Senate vote"?This is something truly wrong with this man.
Yes.
Ah, so the same way Hillary won the election.
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

"Kroeger's?"
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

YellowKing wrote:While Trump backing down from the SOTU is being celebrated as a victory for Pelosi, I can't help but fear some other shoe dropping. I keep expecting Trump to just declare a national emergency, declare war on Mexico, or so some other batshit crazy thing that explains why he gave in.
CNN wrote:Washington (CNN)The White House is preparing a draft proclamation for President Donald Trump to declare a national emergency along the southern border and has identified more than $7 billion in potential funds for his signature border wall should he go that route, according to internal documents reviewed by CNN.

:coffee:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LawBeefaroni wrote:"Kroeger's?"
Common way to refer to it. See also Jewel's in Chicago, Meijer's.

I don't like it, but I've heard it a ton.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:03 pm "Kroeger's?"
Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:10 pm

Kroeger?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:09 pm
YellowKing wrote:While Trump backing down from the SOTU is being celebrated as a victory for Pelosi, I can't help but fear some other shoe dropping. I keep expecting Trump to just declare a national emergency, declare war on Mexico, or so some other batshit crazy thing that explains why he gave in.
CNN wrote:Washington (CNN)The White House is preparing a draft proclamation for President Donald Trump to declare a national emergency along the southern border and has identified more than $7 billion in potential funds for his signature border wall should he go that route, according to internal documents reviewed by CNN.

I won't lie, a large part of me is still hoping he chooses this option.

- It ends the shutdown (which is priority #1 right now, at least for me)
- It is Trump admitting that he can't get anyone on board with his stupid-ass idea
- He will publicly look like an fool to literally everyone but the most ardent deplorables ("why does this justify an emergency now, and not any time in the past two years?")
- It'll most likely get blocked in the courts ("Please provide evidence that this is actually an emergency"). If it does somehow get through, the eminent domain lawsuits will slow it to the point where I highly doubt construction ever starts.
- It will show Trump doesn't give a whit about actual border security and only cares about his 2,000 mile penis extension.
- It'll give the Dems great bullet points both for trimming the DoD budget and hammering him on the transgender military ban ("if there's enough pork to squeeze out $7B, then why are you banning trans soldiers over an estimated $5M in medical expenses?")
- While I certainly wouldn't encourage it's use, it would establish precedent for using this option on something that actually does matter in the future (:cough: Healthcare :cough:)

So, in short:

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis wrote:

Kroeger?
Surely I must be missing something more here than a common misspelling by a stressed govt employee on furlough.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:07 pm Surely I must be missing something more here than a common misspelling by a stressed govt employee on furlough.
I've been presuming it's the unforgivable crime of a missing apostrophe in a 255 character or less message written mostly with thumbs that has set them off. Yours is good too though.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:07 pm
LordMortis wrote:

Kroeger?
Surely I must be missing something more here than a common misspelling by a stressed govt employee on furlough.
Just FYI: Bill Corbett isn't a furloughed govt employee but a veteran of Mystery Science Theater 3000.

I believe he has Midwestern roots, though.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Holman

Post by Holman »

link

As many have pointed out:

1) He has never in his life, not even once, stood in line to buy items at a grocery store;
2) He believes that grocery stores, like banks, happily extend unlimited credit to regular ("local") customers;
3) He doesn't give a single shit about the suffering of Americans for whom neither of the above is true.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:14 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:07 pm Surely I must be missing something more here than a common misspelling by a stressed govt employee on furlough.
I've been presuming it's the unforgivable crime of a missing apostrophe in a 255 character or less message written mostly with thumbs that has set them off. Yours is good too though.
He's not a government employee. He's an actor/writer and funny guy. Which is why, if he's going to make up a story to make a point (or be funny) he should at least do a few seconds of research. 255 characters means your errors are magnified, not minimized. And it wasn't the apostrophe, it was the misspelling. Is Kroeger's his local bodega or does he mean that place where the proles shop? Is "Mr. Kroeger" real or more hyperbole/funny?

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Hashtag two eighty.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:02 pm
YellowKing wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:09 pm

I won't lie, a large part of me is still hoping he chooses this option.

- It ends the shutdown (which is priority #1 right now, at least for me)
- It is Trump admitting that he can't get anyone on board with his stupid-ass idea
- He will publicly look like an fool to literally everyone but the most ardent deplorables ("why does this justify an emergency now, and not any time in the past two years?")
- It'll most likely get blocked in the courts ("Please provide evidence that this is actually an emergency"). If it does somehow get through, the eminent domain lawsuits will slow it to the point where I highly doubt construction ever starts.
- It will show Trump doesn't give a whit about actual border security and only cares about his 2,000 mile penis extension.
- It'll give the Dems great bullet points both for trimming the DoD budget and hammering him on the transgender military ban ("if there's enough pork to squeeze out $7B, then why are you banning trans soldiers over an estimated $5M in medical expenses?")
- While I certainly wouldn't encourage it's use, it would establish precedent for using this option on something that actually does matter in the future (:cough: Healthcare :cough:)

So, in short:

Yeah, this is about where I am.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:26 pm Whenever I hear him speak at length I'm always struck by how unhinged he actually is.
For me what really drives it home is reading a transcript of a Trump speech. It's like a real speech run back and forth through Google Translate a couple dozen times.
Black Lives Matter.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

My agency sent out two emails today, one announcing we have enough money to fund operations "at least until the second week of February" (whatever that means), and another ending paid OT effective tomorrow (which they originally said they didn't need to cut because it didn't gain the agency any extra time).

The furlough clock is ticking closer to midnight for me. I don't think we manage to stay open this entire shutdown.
Hodor.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Holman wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:21 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:07 pm
LordMortis wrote:

Kroeger?
Just FYI: Bill Corbett isn't a furloughed govt employee but a veteran of Mystery Science Theater 3000.

I believe he has Midwestern roots, though.
He lives in LA now I think but lived in Minnesota for a long-time (20+ years) during and after the MST3K years. Anyway, it was just a joke. Not actually something that happened so chalk the spelling mistake (lost on me on having been to Kroger's a handful of times ever) that broke the immersion. :)
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

The ripples are getting bigger and more dangerous.

NPR was talking about HUD this morning, and how their funding extends to the end of February, but after that - they're done. If Section 8 tenants aren't getting their cash, and landlords aren't getting paid, then we're likely to end up with a lot of tenants tossed out in favor of ones that can pay - or landlords defaulting on mortgages because their margins for Section 8 buildings is super thin.

They hammered home, too, that some people are attempting suicide because stress levels are so high.

All to build that wall, you orange fucking buffoon. All for a vanity project that will have less impact on border security than adding things like more drones or agents. All so he can put his name on something that lasts beyond his presidency, like Obama got with Obamacare. He's got his name on something alright - the Trump Shutdown is an epic black mark.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I'm pretty sure the moniker "Obamacare" was given by its detractors.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I saw a comedian once commenting on this. It was something I never thought about or noticed I was doing but did. I made a conscious effort not to, and I think I've been successful at it.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Well, this happened.

Hodor.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Wow. :shock:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I lost my shutdown crisis bet. I really thought it'd be TSA first. FAA well done on keeping the ATC situation under wraps for a surprise!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Fuck.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.