Winter 2018-19 is coming

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Re: Winter 2018-19 is coming

Post by Jeff V »

My boss just reported he finished digging out, took him 90 minutes. He lives in Brookfield.

I got up early expecting to have to shovel before leaving, but it wasn't enough to bother with. I'll do it when I get home - there might be a little more on the way, and the warmer temps might loosen some of the ice (I did buy an ice hoe, but it's painfully slow when the ice is holding fast to the driveway).
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:44 am We're on alert now in NJ for a storm that's coming at some point tomorrow and ending late tomorrow night. Looks like it could potentially be more snow than all of the storms we've had so far this winter (which admittedly hasn't been all that much). I'd be happy with actual snow and not the snow/rain slush mix we've been getting. Temperatures are going down into the single digits then for the next three days, but then back up into the 40s on Sunday and into next week.

Overall, I'd say it's been a pretty mild winter so far.
We're getting an even milder version of the same weather system. Precipitation beginning as rain tomorrow, then transitioning through slop to snow, potentially accumulating a few inches. Our cold blast won't be as extreme, either, only reaching down to the teens, and only for one day. Pretty sure Boston still has a shot at the least-snowiest winter ever (which was 9").
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Gonna be some frosty kids by Wednesday.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:00 am
Jeff V wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:40 am Snow turned out to be a dud this morning. Funny, because the morning news I watch doubled up on weathermen and traffic reporters in anticipation of a horrific weather event. We had about an inch by me, about 1.5-2 across the area. Maybe a little more later today.

Snow was pretty appreciable in the city. I'm seeing 4-5 inches. Combined with the ice already out there and no plowing anywhere and it took me 50 minutes for a nornlmally 15 minutes commute. And I was the first one into the suite.
That's about what we got, too, which isn't surprising given that we're not that far apart. Oldest son's school was cancelled (he goes to a school in Northbrook, which is a northern suburb for those unfamiliar with our geography). Twins preschool is open and they are there. They had been talking about snow throughout the day, I thought, but I'd be cool if this was it.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

We got your snow storm starting about 7:30am. Late enough start in the morning where everyone went to school and work. But has not stopped snowing and roads are horrible. They have announced local schools will release the kids 2 hours early and now my company is allowing everyone to go home. A rare weather day indeed.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Forecast for Wednesday dropped a couple of more degrees, now -30. With 30 mph winds, that would put the wind chill near -70.

Meanwhile, I got a call from the place I bought my new TV. They will not be coming Wednesday because of the weather. So I have to do without until Saturday now.

All work and no TV makes Jeff V something something....
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:49 pm Forecast for Wednesday dropped a couple of more degrees, now -30. With 30 mph winds, that would put the wind chill near -70.

Meanwhile, I got a call from the place I bought my new TV. They will not be coming Wednesday because of the weather. So I have to do without until Saturday now.

Wait a minute, I thought you had a TV in the bedroom.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I just ordered a 2-stage electric snow blower.

I never expected the day would come that a shovel (and maybe a yooper scoop) wasn't sufficient.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
morlac

Post by morlac »

Meanwhile in Atlanta....

forecast calls for rain turning into a wintery mix later in the afternoon. Accumulation of up to 1 half inch could be expected. Schools are already cancelled tomorrow. Haha. I laugh but when the temps do plummet it could get pretty icey out there.
Last edited by morlac on Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:52 pm
Jeff V wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:49 pm Forecast for Wednesday dropped a couple of more degrees, now -30. With 30 mph winds, that would put the wind chill near -70.

Wait a minute, I thought you had a TV in the bedroom.
Yeah, but my wife works night shift and is sleeping in said bedroom until the same time I go to sleep. I really need a TV downstairs to keep me occupied while the kids are playing or doing things that don't require constant attention. I'll probably bring that TV downstairs, although the thought gives me flashbacks of when I was a kid and our console TV was perpetually broken and we had to rely on a lame little 13" TV sitting sadly atop the console's cabinet.
Black Lives Matter
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Just a few more bodies and my dark rites will be complete.
The goal is -100.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Don't they get hard to ignite at that temperature?
Black Lives Matter
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Probably, but luckily I don't need to burn them for this one.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I flew back from San Diego last night into this shit? Screw that! Where's daddy's knock out sauce!?

There we go...see you all on the other side!
Covfefe!
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I just saw that St. Louis is expecting -40 wind chills the next few days. I'm not sure my Florida weather clothes are going to cut it...
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Stupid weather. 1"-2" snow in the morn and this...

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:48 pm Stupid weather. 1"-2" snow in the morn and this...

Enlarge Image
Looks like spring temps circa 3 months from now.

Enlarge Image
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Chicago Public Schools announced last night that they were canceling schools on Wednesday, and the twins preschool just sent us a note that they were cancelling. My oldest's school still hasn't formally cancelled, but if CPS is cancelling, that will usually signal that most schools are closing. I'm going to work from home tomorrow.
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

All areas schools have closed through Thursday. Some colleges have closed. My IT HR sent out an email to encourage employees to work from home tomorrow. I already told my team to NOT come in tomorrow and Thursday. The local town has closed all offices through Thursday.

Definitely a weather event that will be remembered.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Geez. Id just start walking and not stop until Key West.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:22 pm Geez. Id just start walking and not stop until Key West.
You better walk fast then. 5 minutes exposure in the cold we're expected is enough to turn your toes black from frostbite.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:52 am Chicago Public Schools announced last night that they were canceling schools on Wednesday, and the twins preschool just sent us a note that they were cancelling. My oldest's school still hasn't formally cancelled, but if CPS is cancelling, that will usually signal that most schools are closing. I'm going to work from home tomorrow.
I'd like to say I'm working from home but 2 kids with cabin fever and a wife who would view it as extra help probably won't let that happen. So I'm either working from work or playing from home.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Also, as I was getting the kiddo in the car this morning, a neighbor was stuck in a rut (literally) and just spinning tires trying to get out. He ran after another neighbor waving for help as she shot down the alley. He looked miserable when she didn't stop so I went over to help him. Thankfully he was admitting defeat and just wanted a push to get back into his garage. So I did the rock/push thing for him and got back in.

Made me nervous with my back-heavy FWD but I cleared our ruts last night and was able to get out fine.

When I got back in the car, kiddo was like, "Daddy, you just pushed that guy's car!"

Yes, son, I did.

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:37 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:52 am Chicago Public Schools announced last night that they were canceling schools on Wednesday, and the twins preschool just sent us a note that they were cancelling. My oldest's school still hasn't formally cancelled, but if CPS is cancelling, that will usually signal that most schools are closing. I'm going to work from home tomorrow.
I'd like to say I'm working from home but 2 kids with cabin fever and a wife who would view it as extra help probably won't let that happen. So I'm either working from work or playing from home.
It'll surely end up being some split duty with me helping out in a pinch, but we've managed before. The worst part for me is that I don't really have a work space at home, so I'll end up sitting on our bed and making that my office. it's less comfortable than you might imagine after a couple of hours.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive never knew how up north you keep power and water. Down here a little ice and power is gone. Anything under 32 freezes the pipes unless you drip it. Under 22 and you drip AND run heaters everywhere. Im really worried about the 16 for the two nights. If the pipe freezes it aint coming unfroze soon and it will pop. Always does. So I have to run 4 space heaters...bathroom, kitchen, at well pump, and in bedroom....and drip the water real fast. Almost a stream if not a stream. Lucky we are ahead on rainfall by about 3". if we were low on water its another kettle of fish.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

My wife doesn't work tonight, so she ought to keep the kids out of my face tomorrow and allow me to work from the basement. The thing is, Thursday is going to be even colder, and she does work tomorrow night. Normally that would mean I have to take both kids out in the morning - drop my son at school and then drive my daughter to her her job, where we either swap cars or move the toddler in to her car. Last week on a subzero morning, I waited for her to get home so I wouldn't have to take my daughter out in the cold, but didn't get to work until 9:30 (90 minutes late).

My minions have no such luck. They will be in the office tomorrow because the building never closes.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:50 pm

It'll surely end up being some split duty with me helping out in a pinch, but we've managed before. The worst part for me is that I don't really have a work space at home, so I'll end up sitting on our bed and making that my office. it's less comfortable than you might imagine after a couple of hours.
Hear that. My "workspace" is the floor of our walk-in closet. It's also my woodshop and smithy. My "desk" is a Pelican case.

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:55 pm Ive never knew how up north you keep power and water. Down here a little ice and power is gone. Anything under 32 freezes the pipes unless you drip it. Under 22 and you drip AND run heaters everywhere. Im really worried about the 16 for the two nights. If the pipe freezes it aint coming unfroze soon and it will pop. Always does. So I have to run 4 space heaters...bathroom, kitchen, at well pump, and in bedroom....and drip the water real fast. Almost a stream if not a stream. Lucky we are ahead on rainfall by about 3". if we were low on water its another kettle of fish.
Buildings around here are (usually) built with deep freezes in mind. Utilities are also strung differently up here than in the south to limit the damage an ice storm can do. When I moved into my current house about 13 years ago, I had a problem where the pipes would freeze whenever the temp got into the low single digits. They never burst, but it was a pain dealing with frozen pipes and I knew I was running the risk that they might burst one day. Turns out that the rehabbers of my house had put the pipes in external walls with minimal insulation. I ended up paying about $10K to have the pipes all rerun internally (as much as possible) and insulated properly and I haven't had a problem since. Of course, it hasn't been this cold, so I'll probably still run a trickle starting tonight until things get back above -10 or so.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:59 pm The thing is, Thursday is going to be even colder, and she does work tomorrow night.
I'm seeing Thursday low of -1 on my weather app. Where are you seeing colder? I can't imagine it would be that much colder between the city and your idyllic suburban enclave.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Channel 5 News this morning said low of -23 tonight, low of -25 Wednesday night. Check the hourly forecast for the next 48 hours. That -1 is probably a Thursday night low. At the moment the forecast for 7 am Thursday is -26/-39wc and warms to a balmy -16/-31wc by 11 am.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:41 pm
Daehawk wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:55 pm Ive never knew how up north you keep power and water. Down here a little ice and power is gone. Anything under 32 freezes the pipes unless you drip it. Under 22 and you drip AND run heaters everywhere. Im really worried about the 16 for the two nights. If the pipe freezes it aint coming unfroze soon and it will pop. Always does. So I have to run 4 space heaters...bathroom, kitchen, at well pump, and in bedroom....and drip the water real fast. Almost a stream if not a stream. Lucky we are ahead on rainfall by about 3". if we were low on water its another kettle of fish.
Buildings around here are (usually) built with deep freezes in mind. Utilities are also strung differently up here than in the south to limit the damage an ice storm can do. When I moved into my current house about 13 years ago, I had a problem where the pipes would freeze whenever the temp got into the low single digits. They never burst, but it was a pain dealing with frozen pipes and I knew I was running the risk that they might burst one day. Turns out that the rehabbers of my house had put the pipes in external walls with minimal insulation. I ended up paying about $10K to have the pipes all rerun internally (as much as possible) and insulated properly and I haven't had a problem since. Of course, it hasn't been this cold, so I'll probably still run a trickle starting tonight until things get back above -10 or so.
Yeah, pipes run underground until they emerge in a heated (or at least insulated) space -- our water line comes up thru the cellar floor. The ground can freeze down to pipe depth, but it doesn't get nearly as cold as these air temperatures. As for power lines, utilities have crews that spend the rest of the year trimming back tree limbs that could fall on wires, as well as crews that mobilize for quick repairs during or immediately after a major storm. My town has its own independent utility and power plants, so when the power does go out, it's seldom even for as long as an hour.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

In Northeastern Ontario, it's becoming more and more common for new houses to be sold with heated floors. I suspect this is going to get more widespread with the winters everyone have been having. Don't have any myself, but I've been in a few and they're so nice.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:28 pm In Northeastern Ontario, it's becoming more and more common for new houses to be sold with heated floors. I suspect this is going to get more widespread with the winters everyone have been having. Don't have any myself, but I've been in a few and they're so nice.
I've heard of bathrooms with heated floors. Are you saying entire houses have heated floors up there now?
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:31 pm
Rumpy wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:28 pm In Northeastern Ontario, it's becoming more and more common for new houses to be sold with heated floors. I suspect this is going to get more widespread with the winters everyone have been having. Don't have any myself, but I've been in a few and they're so nice.
I've heard of bathrooms with heated floors. Are you saying entire houses have heated floors up there now?
When I first came here, this was all permafrost. Everyone said I was daft to build a castle on permafrost, but I built in all the same, just to show them. It sank into the permafrost. So I built a second one. And that one sank into the permafrost. So I built a third. That burned down, fell over, and then sank into the permafrost. But the fourth one stayed up. And that’s what you’re going to get, son, the strongest castle in all of Canada.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Growing up, my friend's house had heated floors in the basement. Apparently the hot water lines were under there or something, so they would come up and keep the tile toasty warm. Rest of the house was regular furnace, though.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. They're not restricted to merely being in bathrooms. Though they're restricted to specific floors. Sometimes it's the main floor, sometimes it's the basement, sometimes both, but from my experience if there's a 3rd floor, it's not heated. Honestly, perhaps one of the best housing innovations I've seen.
ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:46 pm Growing up, my friend's house had heated floors in the basement. Apparently the hot water lines were under there or something, so they would come up and keep the tile toasty warm. Rest of the house was regular furnace, though.
I suspect that the technology has much improved since and as they have a specific distribution system in place now. From what I've seen, they're a series of snaking lines underneath the floorboards to circulate the heat evenly.
Last edited by Rumpy on Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

They've changed the outlook a little. Ill take Monday.

Enlarge Image
stessier

Post by stessier »

I'm in SC and we have whole houses with heated floors.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

CPS has cancelled Thursday too.

MYT
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

My office said we could come in at 10. :roll: