Kids' PC died. Anyone have an old mobo/CPU/RAM?

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

Blackhawk

Kids' PC died. Anyone have an old mobo/CPU/RAM?

Post by Blackhawk »

My kids' computer (used mainly by my youngest) died the other day. The motherboard - a ten year old dinosaur on its second owner - finally gave out. I usually keep their system running by giving them my hand-me-downs, but I haven't been able to update my own system in years, so theirs is just plain old. It's only really viable because someone gave them a good video card about five years ago. Their gaming time is their reward for working hard in school and at home, and for taking care of other things that need taken care of. Lately, my youngest mostly uses it to play Vermintide 2 and Fallout 76 (both of which he bought for himself with his allowance.) I want to try and give them that back. The old system was an Intel i7 920, 2.6GHz with 8mb of RAM, and was just barely able to run those games to begin with (it was below the minumums for both of them.)

Has anyone upgraded lately that has their previous mobo/processor/RAM lying around? It would need to work with his GTX 960, 650 watt PS, and fit into a standard case. I can pull off$100 for it. I know that it's a long shot, especially with that amount, but that's the most I can manage, and I have to make the attempt.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
MonkeyFinger

Re: Kids' PC died. Anyone have an old mobo/CPU/RAM?

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Argh... not at all helpful I know, but up until there was a HUGE community electronics recycling drive a couple of months ago I would have a free one for ya. :cry:
-mf
Brian

Post by Brian »

I have an ASUS X99-A motherboard sitting around. I pulled it from my gaming PC when I was experiencing a startup failure that, after I completely replaced the Mobo, turned out to be a bad display port on my video card.

I didn't want to go through the trouble of reinstalling this board and returning the original board so I put it in a box where it's sat ever since.

You are welcome to it if an i7 CPU and DDR4 RAM can be donated or scrounged up.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im still using stuff from 2011 when I built it. Someone on OO gave me a video card when mine died a year or two back.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I think I have something worked out. I want to thank everyone who gave this a look!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)