Jeff V

Re: Winter 2018-19 is coming

Post by Jeff V »

-24 /-60 windchill here right now.
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

It's literally -20 degrees (F) here right now.

Wind chill of -47.

My dog came in from her morning poo, limping. Poor girl!! Holy cow.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Archinerd wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:58 pm My office said we could come in at 10. :roll:
That's just cruel. The roads are fine, it's the cold. That isn't going to change by 10.

My normal 15 commute was down to 10 or so despite some idiots on the road.
-22 according to the car.
Enlarge Image

Yesterday on the way home, this guy pulled out of a CVS parking lot in front of me. I had to slam on the brakes and still barely managed to miss him. I laid on the horn, of course. Once in front of me, he slowed to a crawl and rolled down his window and stuck out his hand. I assumed to flip me off at first, but then saw a bottle of water in his hand. He proceeded to pour it on his windshield in what I assume was an attempt to clear off the salt. Predictably, it coated his windshield in ice and he turned his wipers on high and started weaving right when I was going to pass him. I took note of the Lyft and Uber decals in his window. Going to be a lot of unqualified "commercial" drivers out there.

Oh, also, I was getting gas and the guy at the pump in front of me was having trouble opening his gas door cover. He went inside and came out with a coffee which he proceeded to pour over it. It didn't work, of course, and he was left with more ice than when he started. I didn't tell him that all he had to do was punch the door lightly. I have the same type.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Unagi wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:46 am It's literally -20 degrees (F) here right now.

Wind chill of -47.

My dog came in from her morning poo, limping. Poor girl!! Holy cow.
Mushers Wax is great stuff. I really wish I'd gotten some years before. The only drawback is you may end up with some waxy prints on your floors. But it really helps the pups.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I often feel like we are an extension of Canada, but youse guys are nucking futz.

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/75- ... oment-ever

Also, a comparatively small amount of us carry hockey sticks in our cars, for just such an occasion.
A pileup on westbound Highway 40 in Saint-Sulpice, about 20 kilometres east of Montreal, is causing severe congestion for several kilometres. Provincial police say more than 75 vehicles are involved, but only minor injuries have been reported.

By about 11:30 a.m., the highway was closed at the 118 kilometre mark not far from exit 122 where westbound drivers were being detoured. More than a dozen ambulances and a dozen tow trucks were called to the scene.
Enlarge Image
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Are hockey sticks required driver equipment like the yellow vests are in France?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Tonight in TN we might see single digits. So instead of dripping the water I plan to stream it or near bouts. I had to spend $65 on kerosene . I cant do this yet have to. Will keep the house warm for a couple days to help.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:59 am Tonight in TN we might see single digits. So instead of dripping the water I plan to stream it or near bouts. I had to spend $65 on kerosene . I cant do this yet have to. Will keep the house warm for a couple days to help.
Crap. I should have had my kitchen sink dripping. Didn't even think about that. shit shit shit. Hoping for the best when I get home tonight.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

All Ya'll having severe weather out there stay safe.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

We've got windchills at -50 degrees today.
By Monday it's supposed to hit 47 degrees.

That is nearly (what will feel like) a 100 degree shift in 5 days. :shock:
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Unagi wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:38 pm We've got windchills at -50 degrees today.
By Monday it's supposed to hit 47 degrees.

That is nearly (what will feel like) a 100 degree shift in 5 days. :shock:
It's just like Opening Day!
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

It's nice not to be the worst, where our windchill is a balmy -45.

Of course, accuweather, after reporting that parts of North Dakota have hit -75 last night, stated "The worst is yet to come for other parts of the Midwest", so I'm not feeling good about getting gas after work not coming in tomorrow.
Last edited by LordMortis on Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

My front doorknob has iced over--on the inside. Ugh. Plumber coming over today to give us tips on preventative measures for the new house.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Leave faucets trickling. Open cabinets under sinks. Keep house at an even temperature around 62. Insulate exposed pipes. Seal any drafts.
$500 please.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

When I lived in the mountains I would sometimes hook up a hair dryer next to exposed pipes.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Last night the kiddo and I "forged" an ice sword with a flashlight hilt. Took about 20 minutes to freeze from room temp last night. Metal flashlight was dangerously cold (don't lick it!).

Version 1.0 came out OK this morning but we are going to perfect this thing.

Enlarge Image

MYT
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

As far as running water to prevent pipes bursting, the recommendation is to run a stream as thick as a pencil. A drip will not protect enough.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:44 pm accuweather
I have something to say about that, but it will be in R&P.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Z-Corn wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:04 pm As far as running water to prevent pipes bursting, the recommendation is to run a stream as thick as a pencil. A drip will not protect enough.
Id run out of both well water and pump life.

I wish I could show the other channels weather as its always more accurate but I cant link it like I can this ones. Sorry.

Enlarge Image
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Plumber cancelled due to emergencies starting at 5 am today (not a big surprise). We're running the water, but we should better know the shutoffs and risks in the new house. I'd rather find out before than later to avoid that $500 emergency service call, and need to know where all of the shut-off valves are in case of disaster.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

What has two thumbs and really doesn't want to stop for gas on the way home.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:08 pm What has two thumbs and really doesn't want to stop for gas on the way home.
Siskel and Ebert?

Sorry couldn't help it. Sometimes my sadness swings wide the other direction.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I know it's colder elsewhere (currently feels like (-5) with the wind), but I can honestly say for the first time in my entire life I finally understand scarves.

Stay safe out there OOers.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

The morning was the first time since before my pre-teens I wore a scarf for something aside from doing planned outdoor winter activities. So much so, that even when I clear the driveway, rather than find a scarf I'll never wear, I tie a tshirt around my face below my eyes.

This morning I wore gloves, a scarf, touque, and hooded coat to work. A first for everything. And I'll be happy for the gear when I have to go pump gas.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

It's SO COLD here that:

GRPS has called off classes for the entire week. They haven't done that since The Blizzard of '78.

And...no postal delivery today or tomorrow. COLD cold.

The Governor has declared a State of Emergency. Because of the cold.

COLD!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Buncha softies:
Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin, like many Republican leaders, believes that American children are too weak. His latest evidence: Some schools in his state have closed for the dangerously cold polar vortex winds that are currently scouring the midwest and pushing frigid air to states nearby.

“Come on, now,” Bevin said to radio host Terry Meiners in an interview Tuesday, after the host had called the cold “serious business” in protest to Bevin’s complaint. “There’s no ice going with it or any snow. What happens to America. We’re getting soft, Terry, we’re getting soft.”

Bevin did admit that it was better for schools to “err on the side of being safe,” but he maintained that the current way children were being raised softened them:
I’m being only slightly facetious. But it does concern me a little bit that in America on this and any number of other fronts, we’re sending messages to our young people that if life is hard you can curl up in the fetal position—somewhere in a warm place—and wait till it stops being hard. And that just isn’t reality. It just isn’t.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Z-Corn wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:16 pm It's SO COLD here that:

GRPS has called off classes for the entire week. They haven't done that since The Blizzard of '78.

COLD!
Are you building a wall?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

When the polar bears attack, we'll be fucked. We'll be absolutely incapable of taking the fight to their turf.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:20 pm Buncha softies:
Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin, like many Republican leaders, believes that American children are too weak. His latest evidence: Some schools in his state have closed for the dangerously cold polar vortex winds that are currently scouring the midwest and pushing frigid air to states nearby.

“Come on, now,” Bevin said to radio host Terry Meiners in an interview Tuesday, after the host had called the cold “serious business” in protest to Bevin’s complaint. “There’s no ice going with it or any snow. What happens to America. We’re getting soft, Terry, we’re getting soft.”

Bevin did admit that it was better for schools to “err on the side of being safe,” but he maintained that the current way children were being raised softened them:
I’m being only slightly facetious. But it does concern me a little bit that in America on this and any number of other fronts, we’re sending messages to our young people that if life is hard you can curl up in the fetal position—somewhere in a warm place—and wait till it stops being hard. And that just isn’t reality. It just isn’t.
Snowflakes!
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:16 pm
Z-Corn wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:16 pm It's SO COLD here that:

COLD!
Are you building a wall?
Yes. Indoors.

Made of empty Founder's cans. Gotta stay hydrated in this dry air.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Philadelphia:

It's 10 degrees right now, windchill at -6. We had some snow earlier, but now it's clear and dry and bone-cold.

Apparently I have to walk the dog.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Latest forecast has morning low hitting -29. My son's school is opening at 10. I got a lot of work done from home today and told my boss I could be in by 11 tomorrow or stay home and do my compliance training (several hours watching videos and taking quizzes). He told me to stay home. :dance:
Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Our glorious high of -2 today (not counting wind chill), now down to -13 (-34 w/ wind chill).

And Consumers Energy sends an emergency alert (to all 3 of our cell phones at 10:30 at night, scaring the crap outta us as 2 of the cell phones are less than a foot from me), telling us to turn our thermostats down to 65.

Had to google that to determine if it was a hoax, bad planning (someone would need to die for this one) or what. Apparently one of their delivery stations had a fire and is out of commission. They are rerouting but we could have potential outages so there is some legitimacy to their request.

For my house, one story, crawl space, attic. Heat vents are in the ceiling. Set to 71 and we're COLD. Turned it up to 73 so we weren't quite so cold. normally 66 overnight but had been turning it up to 68-69. Might not do that tonight. If we actually have an outage, fear we might literally freeze to death.

This mean Michigan wins for worst cold today in light of our potential heat crisis?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Tonight should be around 12. But look after tonight.

Enlarge Image

Crazy stuff. Norms are 50s day 40s night.
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:20 pm Buncha softies:

This guy should be forced to go walk a mile.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We got a dusting of snow that swooped in dramatically and very briefly. Now it's 6 degrees. Tomorrow's going to be cold, but nothing like the midwest is getting.

I have a friend in MI who insists that Boston's winters are worse than theirs. I grew up there and have lived here for 35 years, and I have assured her that she is wrong; it is definitely milder here ("mild" being relative in this context). But the scenes from our record winter of 2014-15 are etched in her memory, and that's that.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Close, but not quite an all time record here. -25 in my 'hood, -21 at O'hare, the official record keeping station for the metro area.

Forecast Monday is +54. :shock: 75 degree differential over a couple of days -- more than 100 degrees if you figure wind chill. I'm feeling inclined to take a vacation day just to go for a bike ride.
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:57 am Forecast Monday is +54. :shock: 75 degree differential over a couple of days -- more than 100 degrees if you figure wind chill. I'm feeling inclined to take a vacation day just to go for a bike ride.
It's like... it's like you only read your own posts!
:wink:
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Unagi wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:05 am
Jeff V wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:57 am Forecast Monday is +54. :shock: 75 degree differential over a couple of days -- more than 100 degrees if you figure wind chill. I'm feeling inclined to take a vacation day just to go for a bike ride.
It's like... it's like you only read your own posts!
:wink:
You're just jealous that you didn't make that connection earlier.

4 degrees warmer on my commute.
Enlarge Image

MYT