Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

MonkeyFinger

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Haven't really looked at it yet but Nemesis arrived yesterday. Has some interesting "extras" in it from their other games, including a metal coin and "art book" from Tainted Grail.
-mf
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

My copy of Nemesis arrived as well.

Rules look like they have improved quite a bit since the KS. I played a couple rounds on TTS back then and everything looks all around better. I am surprised by the size difference between the aliens and the humans; the humans are about 1/4 the size of the larger aliens. Detail on the aliens is great, detail on the humans is merely OK. One of my humans also looks like his face was melted a little so that is a bit disappointing.

Overall though it is a great package.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Lordnine wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:04 pm My copy of Nemesis arrived as well.

Rules look like they have improved quite a bit since the KS. I played a couple rounds on TTS back then and everything looks all around better. I am surprised by the size difference between the aliens and the humans; the humans are about 1/4 the size of the larger aliens. Detail on the aliens is great, detail on the humans is merely OK. One of my humans also looks like his face was melted a little so that is a bit disappointing.

Overall though it is a great package.
Have you been keeping up with the updates? There was an issue with one of the molds. The soldier? They are offering replacements.

Edit: Link - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/aw ... ts/2372035

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Yeah I am aware of that issue. Mine is actually the scientist. If the whole model was like the soldier I would be more concerned but it is really just his face so I am not sure if it's worth putting in for a replacement.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Lordnine, you weren't kidding about the size difference.

I'll try to post a picture later.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Just had to run off and double-check mine... no melty ones. :)
-mf
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Mine were fine as well. I suspect that in my case it is because I got their sundrop option. They probably reserved the early runs for that since it would require more time.

Here's a pic showing the size difference between the characters and the bigger alien creatures.

Black Lives Matter

Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Just got mine the other day. no melty ones so yay! No idea when I'm gonna get it to the table as I have a huge gaming backlog and I am currently in the process of re-organizing everything.
I do think that the bottom part of the box could have been another inch or so deeper so that it fully fit the components without them "overflowing" the box. Note: I haven't punched them yet, so maybe it wont matter.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

It's still crowded. Especially if you want to add the extras.

So far the only real disappointment is the box itself. Since everything fits just barely, you have to push the sides out a bit to get things out. I had two corners tear. I also have a tiny bit of separation on one of the board corners. But that's easily glue-able. Oh, and I found a bit off one of the aliens, but I haven't figured out which one, so it's obviously not that big an issue.

Black Lives Matter

Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

What extras have you received? I thought everything other than the core game was coming later? With everything punched I have no trouble getting everything to fit. The only thing I moved was the dice into the empty extra card spaced on the bottom layer. I suppose if you need that space for sleeves there could be a tight fit but that isn’t going to be an issue for me.

Also, I have all of my aliens primed for detail touch ups now. :)
Enlarge Image
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Art book and coin. Those won't go into the box. However, the comic book should... I think. My recollection is that it is actually used during play. Also there is a sheet of cardboard components... I'm not sure what they are for. But I assume they will also need to go into the box.

Black Lives Matter

Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Ah, the art book and coin are actually not for Nemesis.

The comic book is used for the co-op campaign and the cardboard bits go with that as well. For some reason I didn’t consider them part of the game but I suppose they are.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Woot! Dinogenics shipped today
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Pledge Manager opened for the new NEMO'S WAR expansions yesterday so I chipped in another $10 to get the bigger box that the 3rd printing will ship in.

There's really nothing wrong with the 2nd edition box (and it has more than enough room for the expansions since they consist of only a few cards), but I do like the new insert which allows you to keep card stacks sorted.

NEMO'S WAR is one of those games that I highly value in my collection and I know I'd never get rid of, so I don't mind giving it a little extra attention. :wub:
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:46 pm Pledge Manager opened for the new NEMO'S WAR expansions yesterday so I chipped in another $10 to get the bigger box that the 3rd printing will ship in.

There's really nothing wrong with the 2nd edition box (and it has more than enough room for the expansions since they consist of only a few cards), but I do like the new insert which allows you to keep card stacks sorted.

NEMO'S WAR is one of those games that I highly value in my collection and I know I'd never get rid of, so I don't mind giving it a little extra attention. :wub:
Ditto.

I enjoy Nemo's War immensely, and it's among the very best solo games I've yet played.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

We got to try out Gardens of Babylon: the Cascading Tile Game last Monday. I thought it looked pretty cool (Bob played it while I was giving Plague Inc. a try). I don't know if there are other games that use the cascading mechanic - it's new to me but maybe not to you?
It posted on Kickstarter Tuesday. We haven't signed on yet but I think we'll be getting the deluxe version.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

My very well packaged copy of Claustrphobia 1643 arrived yesterday, haven't had the time to open it up yet but appreciate its pristine condition.
-mf
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Ooo, I am really curious how that turned out. That is one I wanted to back but decided against it because I so rarely get two player games to the table.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Everything at first glance seems very high quality, I'll see if I can get some pictures later. A bit surprised that there are two complete sets of booklets (rules, scenarios) and cards, one in English and one in French and the cardboard bits are double-sided for the same reason. I guess that was cheaper / easier than tracking two different editions.
-mf
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I think I may go all in on STREET MASTERS when the pledge manager opens. I'm already in for the tier that gave you the base game and previously released expansions, but some of those Aftershock minis look super cool.

I WANT ALL TEH MINIS!!!!!!!!!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:dance:

I wish I could describe how much I love Street Masters in a way that is easy to understand. It hits every single element I've been looking for in gaming. I'm already "all in" for Aftershock and I actually went back and went "all in" for Brook City - because it uses the same mechanics but with a Miami Vice theme instead.

And just wait - in a few more months they'll be KSing Altar Quest - a gothic fantasy themed game that uses the Street Masters deck system as well.

I honestly don't know when those guys sleep.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well crap. I would've waited for Altar Quest if I'd known it was coming. I mean, I've heard nothing but good things about Street Master, but the setting isn't really my cup of tea.

Ah well, I'm sure I'll enjoy it nonetheless. Perhaps I'll just stick with the base game for Street Master, then go all in on Altar Quest.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I mentioned it before, but I really wasn't into the theme of Street Masters at all - it's why I didn't back it and had to buy it from their webstore after release. However, as soon as I played, the I was completely won over. The core box is a bananas value regardless and you could be happy with that for a long, long time. I wouldn't sweat that decision at all.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote::dance:

I wish I could describe how much I love Street Masters in a way that is easy to understand. It hits every single element I've been looking for in gaming. I'm already "all in" for Aftershock and I actually went back and went "all in" for Brook City - because it uses the same mechanics but with a Miami Vice theme instead.

And just wait - in a few more months they'll be KSing Altar Quest - a gothic fantasy themed game that uses the Street Masters deck system as well.

I honestly don't know when those guys sleep.
I'll be very curious about your impressions of Brook City since I'm a big Miami Vice fan. I wish they would put out a nice steampunk based game. That's a setting you don't see very often.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's shipping super early (like maybe next month) so hopefully I can get those impressions sooner than later. :D

Another nostalgia trip for the old folks around here -- as part of the Fantasy Trip KS success, Steve Jackson Games is now launching a "reproduction"of the Pocket Box games of the 1980s. I remember seeing them, but I never actually owned any:
Illuminati
O.G.R.E.
G.E.V
Battlesuit
Car Wars
Truck Stop
Crash City
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think Hentzau and I both owned quite a few of those as kids. I absolutely loved them.
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I have OGRE and will continue waiting for Car Wars.

It's the CMON Munchkin Dungeon that I couldn't resist. For my kids, who like the miniatures and the "take that!"

I am a little worried that Steve Jackson Games seems to be digging the bottom of the nostalgia barrel all of a sudden.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I don't think I could go back to Car Wars after the amazing fun of Gaslands...
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Anonymous Bosch

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:48 pm
YellowKing wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:46 pm Pledge Manager opened for the new NEMO'S WAR expansions yesterday so I chipped in another $10 to get the bigger box that the 3rd printing will ship in.

Ditto.

I enjoy Nemo's War immensely, and it's among the very best solo games I've yet played.
Heads up for anyone interested in Nemo's War and/or its new expansions who missed their Kickstarter campaign:

They've now opened the Nemo's War Pledgemanager to late backers, so you can still grab it along with the new expansions and even some of their KS-exclusives as long they remain available (FWIW, I strongly recommend getting the bags for the treasure and ship tokens if at all possible).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Anyone else in on the for the deluxe Suburbia kickstarter?

Suburbia is a really fun city builder that I've always enjoyed when my gaming group gets it to the table. It plays very well and is the best sim city like game I have played on the table.

This deluxe edition looks awesome. Metal coins. Gametrays for everything. Every expansion and promo ever released plus a new one. Fancy wooden tokens. All sorts of extras. Plus unique cities you can play as now (or if you have a completionist streak you can buy all of them... tempting for me). It's a pretty good deal for the standard version of everything included but on top of that everything si deluxe, bigger tokens and excellent art. Worth a look for anyone wanting to do some city building.

gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I backed it. I went for the base CE - while I like the idea of all the cities, I don't know that I'll get an extra $50 of enjoyment out of it.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Is anyone familiar with / have played this Columbia Games Combat Infantry system that has a new Kickstarter? I've played games using their "block system" WAY back in the day, so it does intrigue me. Thanks.
-mf
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

wire wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:10 pm If you are at PAX Unplugged stop by and check out my friends booth.

Master Monk Gaming
Booth #1738

We are in a gaming group together and he brings in prototypes of his dice boxes all the time to check out and use.
wire's friend has a kickstarter coming, a new dice tower that combines with their dice tray. This might be my birthday present to myself.

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

That's sweet AWS. I'm actually in the market for a dice tower so I'll check out the Kickstarter when it hits.
Anonymous Bosch

YellowKing wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:20 pm That's sweet AWS. I'm actually in the market for a dice tower so I'll check out the Kickstarter when it hits.
Check out the Blackfire Games Crystal Twister. It's among the most unique and -- to quote one of the videos below -- most satisfying dice towers I've used:

Last edited by Anonymous Bosch on Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Would you believe another Aeon's End kickstarter?

Back to a more basic core set, but with a light story mini-campaign. My Aeon's End spend is starting to approach Zombicide levels here... except I actually play this one once in a while.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Backed as soon as I heard it was live. I love me some Aeon's End. I just need to get some folks to play Legacy with me more often. :(
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I'll play! My son abandoned me at Chapter 7 (out of 8!). I guess I need to finish it off playing both mages solo, but I keep hoping I can convince him to play. He has become much better at the game over the course of the campaign. Raising a mage from nothing and a few close losses taught us a few important lessons about cooperation. Chapter 7's Nemesis really changes things up and I think that kind of broke his spirit because we thought we had it mastered.

I also have the reset kit so I can theoretically play it again if I can get the group from work on board. We typically play at lunch time which is a bit short for this kind of endeavor... and I can't leave it set up in the cafeteria. :P
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Seppe, Zarathud and I played the first two missions, but we haven't gone back since. Mainly because folks are either too busy, or we end up playing something else. I'm trying to be more inclusive in my game choices lately and letting folks bring over the games they bought so I'm not always forcing folks to play my stuff.

That needs to stop! :D
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

When a legacy game is in motion, it must stay in motion! The kid and I played probably about 12 times in the space of a week and then it just stopped.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter