Apex Legends [battle royale]

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Apex Legends [battle royale]

Post by GreenGoo »

Respawn, makers of Titanfall and Titanfall 2, have created a battle royale game set in the same universe but without Titans. You need to use Origin to access the beta on PC. It's also available on Xbox and PlayStation, apparently.

link

I have yet to download and try it. I'm not all that interested in battle royale style games outside of PUBG, but I really liked the game mechanics of the two Titanfalls so I'll probably take a look at this.
Freyland

Re: Apex Legends [battle royale]

Post by Freyland »

Cort played it a bit, hasn't said anything to me.

No mechs, no wall running.

Reports suggest it is more COD than pubg.

One reviewer I read really liked it, another generally didn't.

That's all I got.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Yeah, it never for a moment crossed my mind that it would be related to PUBG in any way (outside of the genre of course). It's just not that kind of universe.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I saw this on Blues News today and downloaded it but haven't played it of course.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I don't think you're a fan of the genre Daehawk. If that's so, I seriously doubt this will change that, whatever the design or mechanics. That said, I haven't tried it myself so I'm not speaking from experience.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Watched a chocoTaco video. I was disappointed to see that it is almost exactly the non-titan gameplay from Titanfall, right down to the guns and sights and sliding and such. I don't know what I expected but for some reason that's disappointing. Titanfall is fast with fast respawns, I'm not excited about a fast ironman game. There seems to be a quality system to the loot. The last thing I need is more time spent on looting. Players seem tankier than in PUBG, with shields and hp helping mitigate damage and slowing the kill speed, which I like. Still, this sort of system favours those with better aim even more than PUBG, because any drawn out fight goes to the best shooter. In PUBG you can kill better players just by seeing them first and getting the drop on them. That doesn't seem to be the case for Apex.

Frey noted a lot of AI chatter, and I agree and don't like it. There is far too much colour commentary (from the game itself) that doesn't add anything tactically, simply filling your ears with noise. Hopefully that's configurable. PUBG audio is extremely important tactically, but that might not be the case for Apex. Even if it's not, I'm sure I would grow tired of the ceaseless battle chatter the game fills the airwaves with.

Still, the game looks intriguing. I love the combat in Titanfall so I might still have fun. My complaint is mostly that I don't think the combat works well in a BR setting, but that might be because my sole experience is PUBG, and that is very specific gameplay. Engagements often last less than a second between 2 individuals in PUBG. Sometimes just a single bullet. Not sure that's the case here, although I guess it's possible. The gameplay looked faster but engagements lasted longer.

The game I watched was over after 16 minutes. Assuming that's an average time, it's about 1/2 the time for a full PUBG match. Not sure about map size or frequency of combat. The one video I watched had a number of periods where the team felt safe enough to sit around looting and looking at things, so it seems like there is some downtime (which I like) at least.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

The game is fantastic! There are just so many improvements and quality of life additions to the interface and game mechanics, it’s going to be hard to play any other battle royale that lacks them. Really loving it so far.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

wonderpug wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:05 am The game is fantastic! There are just so many improvements and quality of life additions to the interface and game mechanics, it’s going to be hard to play any other battle royale that lacks them. Really loving it so far.
Can you be a little more specific? What kinds of improvements? I never played Titanfall so that doesn't really factor for me. I haven't actually looked at this because I feel like PUBG covers my BR needs as small/few/minor/light (right word eludes me) as they are.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Haven't played it myself, but as I understand one of the big changes is the party respawn system: when a team member dies he drops a badge that you can go to a designated respawn point and use to bring them back.

Makes it much more likely you'll be able to keep your full team together throughout a match.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:19 am
wonderpug wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:05 am The game is fantastic! There are just so many improvements and quality of life additions to the interface and game mechanics, it’s going to be hard to play any other battle royale that lacks them. Really loving it so far.
Can you be a little more specific? What kinds of improvements? I never played Titanfall so that doesn't really factor for me. I haven't actually looked at this because I feel like PUBG covers my BR needs as small/few/minor/light (right word eludes me) as they are.
The single biggest thing is probably the extraordinarily robust contextual ping system. On Xbox it's right bumper, not sure what it is on PC.
  • Double click the ping to say there's an enemy somewhere
  • Ping an item on the ground to say "there's armor here, level 1" and it'll show up on teammates' HUD. Teammates can ping your pinged item and call dibs
  • Ping something in your inventory to say you have it
  • Ping on an empty slot in your inventory to say "I need ammo (of this type), armor, helmet, optics, etc."
  • When dropping, ping on the map to say "how about over here?" and then other people can ping your waypoint to say "Ok, sounds good"
  • Long press the ping button to bring up more options like "someone's been here" or "looting over here"
The ping system is incredibly intuitive and comprehensive. I normally hate playing PUBG style games with randoms, but the ping system makes it so easy to communicate that I'm shocked to find I don't mind it. I don't even have to have voice chat enabled.

Here's a bunch of other stuff I can think of, big and small:
  • One person in the squad is designated the dropmaster. They drop and their teammates automatically drop with them. There's an easy button to split off from the dropmaster if you want
  • If you pick up a new weapon, attachments automatically transfer from your old weapon to the new
  • Super easy inventory management in general. Ammo has a big red cross-out circle if it's an ammo type you don't need. Single button press to swap an attachment from one weapon to the other.
  • Respawn system makes it so you have a reason to stick around with your team if you die, but the system is limited enough to not feel like people are constantly popping back
  • Ammo is overtly color coded so it's always easy to see what you do or don't need to loot
  • When you shoot someone, you get a pop-up showing if you're whittling down their armor, and it's color coded so you know if they've got advanced or basic armor. Really helps remove frustration of "why isn't this person dying?!"
  • When you go to loot something, if applicable it will say "you already have this item" or "you have a better version of this"
  • When looting an attachment, it shows you in plain sight if it can go on a weapon, which one it will go onto by default, and what it would be replacing, if anything
  • Interface in general is just super polished. The tooltip popups everywhere make it super intuitive that you can use a zipline, that you need to pick up your dead teammates tags to rez them and where you're supposed to go to rez them, grenade throwing arcs.
I'm probably forgetting a bunch.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Sepiche wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:52 am Haven't played it myself, but as I understand one of the big changes is the party respawn system: when a team member dies he drops a badge that you can go to a designated respawn point and use to bring them back.

Makes it much more likely you'll be able to keep your full team together throughout a match.
Hmmm, I saw a teammate "rez" someone and it looked like he just ran to the teammate's "corpse" (a box of some sort) and interacted with it, similar to how you rez someone in PUBG. I do know that you can be "knocked" like in PUBG, because at one point the guy I was watching "thirsted" a downed enemy. The "rezzing" I witnessed did not have a knocked guy, so in that regard it is a respawn as you say, not a rez. There also seemed to be some pressure to do the respawn in a timely fashion, although I don't know if that was a hardcoded timer or just combat pressure to get another gun up and running on your side. I didn't see.

One of the reasons PUBG doesn't put the "pings" on the minimap is that it actually conveys too much information. Spotting is like 50% of PUBG challenge. Making it easier to piggy back on someone who has great eyes and ability to identify targets actually removes some of that challenge. So to me it makes sense to restrict the ability to easily communicate (verbal communication is a HUGE deal in PUGB, and that's separate from the game mechanics) target identification in PUBG. That may not be the case in other BR's. Audio is also INSANELY important in PUBG, as it has a very organic (organic meaning it flows readily from the game design, it's not a specific game design mechanic) stealth component. Audio cues were almost non-existent in Titanfall, so I would expect (but don't know for a fact) that audio will play a limited role in success in Apex as well. Things like seeing the enemy healthbar is exactly what PUGB is designed against. I get that it can be frustrating to not know why someone isn't dying, or whether it's worth risking it all because you know one more hit will kill your enemy, but that's part of the challenge of PUBG. And let's face it, a little experience you know that information without needing the game to display it to you anyway. I know that a guy in level 2 armor is going to need 4-6 hits (mostly 4) from my AKM depending on where the bullets land, with headshots being a significant damage multiplier. Even if I absolutely knew he had 25 hp left and 1 more shot would kill him, I could still unknowingly hit him in the hand or leg and wonder why he isn't dead yet.

I really only have experience with PUGB, but it is my impression that PUBG still is unique in how it plays as compared to other BR games. PUBG is a shooter, but as far from a traditional FPS as you can get. You're slow, you can't jump high, you're fragile, guns are real world replications, designed to simulate their characteristics while still maintaining game balance and fun. Things like Battlefield seem to me (admittedly I don't know) to be King of the Hill dropped on traditional Battlefield gameplay. And that's fine, even fun, it's just completely different in terms of how it plays out as compared to PUBG.

I really liked my time with both Titanfall and Titanfall 2, even though I spent it after the community had shrunk, so I will almost certainly be giving Apex a try. I can already tell from watching a single video however, that it won't replace PUBG, as the 2 are clearly worlds apart in mechanics and experiences.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:22 pm
Sepiche wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:52 am Haven't played it myself, but as I understand one of the big changes is the party respawn system: when a team member dies he drops a badge that you can go to a designated respawn point and use to bring them back.

Hmmm, I saw a teammate "rez" someone and it looked like he just ran to the teammate's "corpse" (a box of some sort) and interacted with it, similar to how you rez someone in PUBG. I do know that you can be "knocked" like in PUBG, because at one point the guy I was watching "thirsted" a downed enemy. The "rezzing" I witnessed did not have a knocked guy, so in that regard it is a respawn as you say, not a rez. There also seemed to be some pressure to do the respawn in a timely fashion, although I don't know if that was a hardcoded timer or just combat pressure to get another gun up and running on your side. I didn't see.
There's a regular "save teammate from bleeding out" function that's just like PUBG. If you do bleed out (either from time, getting shot more, or getting executed) then you're completely out of the action for the time being. A teammate can loot your corpse to get your badge, and then if they take that badge to a resurrection point they can bring you back to life. There's only a set small number of those resurrection points on the map, and you come back to life with no equipment, so all in all I think it does a great job keeping a downed player invested in the match without making kills meaningless.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Cool. Is the time I witnessed normal? ~15-16 minutes for a match?
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:46 pm Cool. Is the time I witnessed normal? ~15-16 minutes for a match?
My first 5 matches were over in only about 90 seconds!

For a full match to the end... I'd have to think. It feels more like 20-25 minutes but maybe 15-16 is accurate. The map is much smaller than the original PUBG map, but there are only 60 players across 20 teams so it feels just the right amount of crowded to me.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

wonderpug wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:01 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:46 pm Cool. Is the time I witnessed normal? ~15-16 minutes for a match?
My first 5 matches were over in only about 90 seconds!
Lol, well, yeah. I can count on one hand the number of PUBG games that I played that went past 29 minutes or so. I apologize if my question was unclear, and I can see how it might be viewed that way in retrospect. I also understand that you're being funny and then answering my question. Thanks.

I don't know how much PUBG experience you have, or how recent, but how does the game play out as compared to Sanhok, or Vikendi? You've already compared it to Erangel. Sanhok can be constant combat all the way to the finish line if you want it to be. Vikendi can be pretty quiet for a few circles if you actively avoid combat. Miramar and Erangel can be completely uneventful for well over 15 minutes if you try hard enough.

Also I mostly play squads, so solo PUGB isn't really a thing for me any longer. Sounds like Apex (not a fan of the name, not a fan of all the colour commentary "YOU ARE THE APEX PREDATOR!" nonesense) is only 3 man squads? That's fine with me, but might not be for some people who like the lone wolf approach.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:04 pm I don't know how much PUBG experience you have, or how recent, but how does the game play out as compared to Sanhok, or Vikendi? You've already compared it to Erangel. Sanhok can be constant combat all the way to the finish line if you want it to be. Vikendi can be pretty quiet for a few circles if you actively avoid combat. Miramar and Erangel can be completely uneventful for well over 15 minutes if you try hard enough.

Also I mostly play squads, so solo PUGB isn't really a thing for me any longer. Sounds like Apex (not a fan of the name, not a fan of all the colour commentary "YOU ARE THE APEX PREDATOR!" nonesense) is only 3 man squads? That's fine with me, but might not be for some people who like the lone wolf approach.
Steam says I've got 131 hours into PUBG, but I quit playing right about the time the second map was released.

As for the name, it comes from a faction in Titanfall:

Right now Apex is only 3-man squads. No solo or duo mode available, and I don't think they've said one way or the other whether they're planning to make them available. With the heavy investment in squad communication and interaction tools I wouldn't be surprised if they keep it only 3-man, but they've also said "other game modes" will be added in the future as the game evolves, so who knows.

I thought the 3-man squad requirement would make this game fail for me -- for PUBG or Blackout I'm only interested in playing with friends or playing solo -- but the way Apex is designed I don't mind playing with random people any more than I'd mind in Overwatch or Call of Duty or whatever.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Yeah, I recognize that guy, and with that I recognize his mercenary team name or whatever.

I thought it wasn't great at the time, but as one of multiple factions with little actual impact or focus from the game, it didn't bother me really. As the label for the game, and as the over the top "APEX PREDATOR" color commentary crap, it doesn't work for me.

I get what they were going for, I even understand it probably appeals to a lot of people. I like my stuff cool but not cheesy. "Apex Predator" is trying too hard in my opinion, and has moved from cool to cheesy. Other people will feel differently and I understand that.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

See, I knew there was a reason I like Penny Arcade, even though I haven't read them in years. I also feel it's an act of terrorism. We should feel lucky ninjas aren't involved in some way, although I highly suspect you can create the semblance of a ninja in your avatar customization, although that's probably paid DLC.

"Conflictors on Dispute Island" would be acceptable.

Thanks for posting that Izzy. I now feel the need to donate to their charity.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Wait, so there's character classes/unique abilities, plus what appears to be persistent inventory (or are these just skins?)? I'm getting a distinct Evolve feeling from this part.

Is that right?
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:33 pm Wait, so there's character classes/unique abilities, plus what appears to be persistent inventory (or are these just skins?)? I'm getting a distinct Evolve feeling from this part.

Is that right?
Right now 8 unique character classes, 6 free and 2 you have to buy with funnymunny. Each one has their own passive ability, special ability that you can use semi-often, and a slower charging ultimate ability. No persistent equipment other than things tied to special abilities, but you can unlock multitudes of customization stuff for each character like skins, voicelines, poses, banner decorations, etc.

The characters are somewhat categorized as 'support' or other general classifications, but so far it doesn't seem to matter much if your team has a good balance or all one kind or whatever.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The one video I watched had the interdimensional character in use, although I didn't realize what I was seeing at the time. I just thought it was either an item functionality or an ability everyone gets.

I'm not sure how I feel about this sort of dynamic in a battle royale. I definitely like it in shooters and such, but all my BR experience is PUBG, and everyone starts identically at baseline zero at the beginning of each game. Any variation is loot based as the game goes on.

Seriously, I'm conflicted about the idea. I'll have to play with it a bit to see how I feel then.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

I d/l it last night and would be up to try it.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Redfive wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:55 pm I d/l it last night and would be up to try it.
I'll give a a shot too.

I'm pretty excited to find more room in my hotkey configuration for all the new abilities, I can tell you that. :roll:

Psst, don't tell Frey. *winky-eye*
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Looks like the dimensional portal is usable by the team, not just the player who put it down? That's wild.

The game looks very fast up close, but more calmly paced at range. I like the speed in Titanfall when I respawn 3 seconds later, I am seriously worried I'm too old and slow for this now. *sad face* I'm still excited to try it though.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Freyland likely doesn't have power tonight, so good night for y'all to abandon me for new things.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Freyland wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:37 pm Freyland likely doesn't have power tonight, so good night for y'all to abandon me for new things.
It's not abandonment if you're invited. :wink: Sorry to hear about your power issues. Not a good season to be without power. Hopefully it's short.

Looks like the game is much more demanding graphically. Default settings has me running around 45 fps in training mode with no one in game or firing with me. I'll have to drop it down, I wonder what I should look at dropping first.

There is an adaptive setting, with the game making adjustments on the fly to maintain a certain resolution. I wonder how well that works. Seems like more overhead if the system is already taxed, but what do I know? Might give it a try.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Almost no bullet drop. I'm hitting targets ~100+ m away with a pistol and (nearly) aiming directly at the target. Similarly almost no weapon recoil. Well, it exists, but it seems tiny. Haven't tried the light machine gun or bigger cannons yet though. AR's have limiteed recoil, and smg's barely move while you empty a clip. But they do move.

There appear to be only 2 ammo types. Light and heavy. Light is orange, heavy is green. Guns display what ammo type they are pretty clearly. Only seen 2 grenades so far, shrapnel and incendiary. Iron sights in the Titanfall world mean basic but limited holographic sights. Mostly they just have less visibility and block more view than attached sights.

There's no leaning/peaking that I can see. That frees up 2 hotkeys at least, thank god.

training mission didn't deal with shields at all. Super excited to try to figure them out during a live game.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The ui actually displays your shotgun pellet pattern and which pellets actually hit. That's pretty sick. The game has finishers. I typically like finishers, they're fun, but BR games are already pretty hostile. I've been dismayed to find out just how toxically hostile other players are now that I've started seeing a wider variety of streamers in action. While I know it doesn't matter, I'm pretty disappointed in it anyway.

Still, fatalities. Enjoy.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Spent five minutes doing some of the training. Agree on frame rate..no idea what I was getting but it wasn't like buttah.

This looks really cool...looking forward to trying it.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Scope ui has a distance meter (at least that specific attachment did). I like.

The learning curve is more than zero, so the first few games, nights, weeks might be a little rougher than my normal rough experience in BR. Oh well, it does look cool.

There are "balloons" with tethers that you can climb which will launch you into the air so you can "re-deploy", or at least drop down with your jetpacks firing again, just like at the beginning of the game, but with less range.

Ziplines and vertical lines are all done with with devices that zip you along with no action required from you, so when I say "climb" I really mean grab the line and be zipped to the top like a fast elevator that you can jump off at any time.

No fall damage in the game.

All I've done is play the training mission and watched a few videos. Won't be able to actually try the game until later.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Power is back a day early!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Played a bit with Redfive last night. A LOT of wtf is going on from my end, but it was still fun, and Red said he liked it too.

I sent you an Origin friend request wonderpug. We could have used a 3rd. Rando's were hit or miss, but no real problems. Only a couple used in game voice. Hit T to voice, and enter to type chat, fyi.

Red was using Bloodhound while I was using Bangalore mostly. Turns out only 1 of each character is allowed, and who picks first seems to be randomized. Which means unless you're playing with friends who always take the same character, you might not always get your first choice, or even second choice. Getting some experience with at least 3 characters seems like a good idea.

I saw Bloodhound had a little radar/sonar icon on the avatar pic, so I asked Red if he had maybe infrared or something. Since we're just learning, he didn't know. I looked it up. Turns out bloodhound's tactical ability shows hidden enemies, traps and "clues" (Whatever those are). Bangalore's tactical ability is smoke, which I failed to use even once. I did however use her ultimate (artillery rounds that embed into the ground, then explode, which means they can reach under roofs and such, maybe. i.e. it's not enough to simply find a roof and get under it) twice, which was confusing and I struggled to know if friendly fire is a thing and whether I needed to take cover from it or not.

Here's a good listing of each character's abilities.

characters

Combat was interesting and very Titanfallesque, no surprises there. At one point our team and another team was out in the open circle strafing, jumping, and just generally trying to get a bead on each other. Coming from PUBG, the very idea that people could be out of cover at close range (say, 30-50m) and still alive 2 seconds later is absurd, so it felt weird. While there doesn't seem to be any issue with aiming, I still struggled to hit, but so did the enemy. Everyone moves a lot faster than in PUBG, which I think is a good thing for a game like this. Mobility has always been Titanfall's strength, and while wall running and double jumping are gone, speed and sliding are still there. Holstering your gun results in faster run speed, and that can be pretty important. Holding a grenade (a la PUBG) *seemed* to also result in faster run times, but I can't verify that.

I've remapped a lot of the basic commands, but holding down 4 will provide you with a healing circle menu where you can select which healing item to use (shield regen, stim, medikit, etc). Tapping 4 will use it. Same for the grenade selection, although I don't recall the default setting. 3 maybe.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The ping system is great, as wonderpug mentioned. Pinging an item announces it's presence to the team and puts a 3 dimensional waypoint onto their hud. It's actually pretty amazing. This works for locations (let's go here), for enemies (highlighted in red), items (specific stuff). No longer do you need to ask who needs what, you can just ping it and let everyone decide for themselves. It's possible that too many pings will clutter up the HUD, but so far I haven't had a problem with it. The game gives a LOT of visual information. I was mildly surprised to find that audio does play a role, and in close combat with cover, listening to your enemy's sounds will tell you what he's doing, including positional/movement information. Good.

I really hate that while sprint is a toggle, doing almost anything else (like, say, turning around to look behind you) turns it off, so I'm constantly having to hit the sprint key. I really wish it would just stay on until I manually turned it off (or at least until I ADS'd). Somewhat related, there doesn't appear to be any freelook key, meaning if you are running to a new position and want to scan your flanks, you need to turn your whole body to your left or right. Disappointingly, this turns off your sprint toggle, so you have to reactivate it when you want to return to running full speed at your new destination.

Zooming when looking through a scope with that functionality appears to be hard coded to the left ctrl key, with no way to remap it. Please correct me if I'm wrong. That's a problem for me as I'm left handed and the left side of the keyboard is out of reach during times that require high reaction time, like combat. I can use the left side of the keyboard for things like meds when in cover, but in combat that's a no go.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Red, bloodhound's passive (each character has a tactical ability, a passive ability and an ultimate ability) let's you see enemy footprints, which you noted last night.

I strongly suggest mapping your melee attack and being ready to use it. Weapons seem difficult to come by when you first drop, and you can definitely punch people to death. Ammo is also in short supply, so again, having a weapon does you no good if you don't have any ammo. Punchy punchy.

edit: Cort and I are playing. :ninja:
Last edited by GreenGoo on Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:37 pm I sent you an Origin friend request wonderpug. We could have used a 3rd. Rando's were hit or miss, but no real problems. Only a couple used in game voice. Hit T to voice, and enter to type chat, fyi.
I'm playing on Xbox, but they say they're working on cross-platform play, even from PC to Console it sounds like, so maybe I'll see you guys then.
I really hate that while sprint is a toggle, doing almost anything else (like, say, turning around to look behind you) turns it off, so I'm constantly having to hit the sprint key. I really wish it would just stay on until I manually turned it off (or at least until I ADS'd).
I'm 92% sure you can toggle this in the options.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

wonderpug wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:18 pm I'm 92% sure you can toggle this in the options.
I looked and looked. I'll look again. To be clear, hitting the sprint button while moving *does* toggle it on, but if you stop, ADS, strafe, etc, it turns off. I can live with it, I just don't want to.

I did see they are going to go with cross platform, although I don't know how that would work, as I find aiming with a stick to be a nightmare and I'm already not fast enough with a mouse.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I see in the options->gameplay that there is an incoming damage indicator, which seems to provide you with a way of determining where the shots are coming from. There a TON of visual affects from weapons, and almost every gun has a tracer effect of some kind, so just paying attention works well. I have yet to notice or use the incoming damage indicator though.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Growing pains have been extreme. Loot locations, what the loot is visually without taking the time to read mouseovers, fof identification even with tags over teammates' heads. Not productive. Can't help but feel like I'm letting down whatever random joins. Cort and I died at the drop site (I never did get a weapon) and our teammate got our tags (is that what they're called? Badges?) and rezzed us both, only to have us move to a new site, get some weapons and promptly get wiped out because we didn't realize another team was in the building with us. Cort thought an enemy was me, and I thought he was an enemy (I didn't shoot him though, I had other targets).

Gonna be awhile until I can process all the visual information correctly and easily.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Adaptation takes time especially in adrenaline mode.

Luckily I won't have to adapt personally as squads only is enough to keep me on the sidelines. It does look pretty cool though.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter