[movie] Alita: Battle Angel

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

stessier

Re: [movie] Alita: Battle Angel

Post by stessier »

JSHAW wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:48 pm Cameron has some kind of thing, maybe it's a fetish, for battle angels. Didn't he have a tv series on FOX with some hot actress, Jessica something or other, man my memory is really shitting the bed on this one...
Jessica Alba
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:26 pm Her entire body seems robotic as in the trailer she switches the one she starts with with some high tech battle body. Her head though I assume is a mix of real and robotic. She seems to be a soldier during a war and full human then.
Last commercial I only heard tangentially claimed she wasn't human, or at least not human like everyone else is human. Didn't catch the context or specifics.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I find the animated eye distortion something that draws me in in the commercials, if only to and focus on "Am I watching a commercial for a CGI movie... no wait is the guy real? Is CGI that good?" and my ability to trust my perceptions becomes very conscious as my judgement comes in to question. This is not a Roger Rabbit or even LotR CGI distraction is something I would normally hate hate hate in a movie, but here CGI distraction seems to be used consciously as a tool and that interests me. At least in the trailers. I can't speak for a full film.
MHS

Post by MHS »

Enlarge Image
This stupid Snapchat filter is all I see when I see previews for this film. I will never watch it.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I see you've had some work done.

In the movie's defense, which I really don't have any skin in defending, anime has been doing huge eyes for decades. The amount of detail in some anime eyes compared to the rest of the body and/or world is pretty extraordinary. Like, 90% of the creation effort in any one scene can be found in character's eyes. It's strange. I know eyes are important but man, that's some serious focus. I only started to notice this when my daughter started watching a lot more anime, and she has spent hundreds of hours drawing anime characters which I then am required to review and approve with enthusiasm.
stessier

Post by stessier »

The few reviews I've read said it's definitely worth seeing.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

She has a human brain. Thats what I see in a trailer.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Montag

Post by Montag »

Thought was good. I'd say more than 80% of the core was straight from the anime. Never saw the manga. If this is rip off of sucker punch then would say anime had it first.
words
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I enjoyed it quite a bit. It felt like the product of someone who sincerely wanted to do the anime justice. It wasn't a great film, but it was a fun one.

The eye thing stopped being even noticeable to me after the first 10 minutes.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Just got out from it. I enjoyed it. It does set up a sequel, and I’m hoping that it makes enough to get it.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Toe

Post by Toe »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:20 pm I find the animated eye distortion something that draws me in in the commercials, if only to and focus on "Am I watching a commercial for a CGI movie... no wait is the guy real? Is CGI that good?" and my ability to trust my perceptions becomes very conscious as my judgement comes in to question. This is not a Roger Rabbit or even LotR CGI distraction is something I would normally hate hate hate in a movie, but here CGI distraction seems to be used consciously as a tool and that interests me. At least in the trailers. I can't speak for a full film.
That it similar to how I felt watching trailers (although with a more critical reaction I guess). For me, I thought her face looked like bad CGI more than anything else. I think I would have been much more likely to want to see the movie if they had went for a more realistic android face rather than the cartoony (not just the eyes either as the whole face looks like a hand-drawn cartoon almost) one I saw in the trailers.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Post Fall cyborg city with roller... err, motorball thrown in. :wink:

We saw it yesterday and enjoyed it for what it was. Agree with what Hepcat and Isgrimnur posted.
-mf
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Toe wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:32 am I think I would have been much more likely to want to see the movie if they had went for a more realistic android face rather than the cartoony (not just the eyes either as the whole face looks like a hand-drawn cartoon almost) one I saw in the trailers.
One of the underlying themes in the film that I found interesting was that all these cyborgs are trying desperately to hang onto some remnant of their humanity. Even if it means stretching a small piece of their original skin across their chest, or keeping their original face. So going all android with Alita would have made her stick out and seem out of place in this world.
Covfefe!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I enjoyed watching this film yesterday. Wonder if it will get a sequel to pay off:
Spoiler:
Ed Norton, Michelle Rodriguez, and Jai Courtney all having cameos.
Hodor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I THOUGHT that was Ed, but I wasn't sure.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I looked it up before I left the theater.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
disarm

Post by disarm »

I saw this IMAX 3D today and enjoyed it. The visuals and action scenes are really impressive, and while there are really cheesy moments throughout the movie, it didn't ruin my enjoyment. The characters are pretty shallow and the dialog is painful at times, but taken as a whole, it's a fun action sci-fi movie.

The most disappointing thing would be if they don't make a sequel after the way this is one ended...
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I enjoyed this tremendously.

the teen daughter enjoyed it also.

is a good flick, and worth watching. assuming you want to see cyborgs, swords, and explosions.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

O _ O
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
stessier

Post by stessier »

I just saw it and liked everything but the ending.
Spoiler:
Why in the world would Nova let her up even if she was champion? That would be so stupid.
Worth seeing, but that was just dumb.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I saw a billboard for this movie and they toned down her giant eyes a bit.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

stessier wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:22 pm I just saw it and liked everything but the ending.
Spoiler:
Why in the world would Nova let her up even if she was champion? That would be so stupid.
Worth seeing, but that was just dumb.
in the manga (which i recently read), the original ending for the story line (Kishiro had to wrap up the original series in a hurry due to a variety of factors) had an explanation for this
Spoiler:
Desty Nova wanted Alita up there to to make a decision on whether or not to bring down Zalem, with all the consequences either choice would bring. also, he's insane. but then Kuzoshito began writing the continuation of the series and declared that original ending to be 'non-canon'.
i just watched this tonight and while there was a fair amount taken from the manga, it was overly Hollywood-ized and took some serious liberties with the plot and setting and characters. can't even say i'm disappointed as the first third or so of the original manga story was pretty terrible in those areas as well, with the art being the only really redeeming factor. (by the end of the original run, all aspects of it had improved quite a bit.)