NBA Post Season 2018-2019

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

noxiousdog

Re: NBA Regular Season 2018-2019

Post by noxiousdog »

Unagi wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:45 pm
noxiousdog wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:45 pm 5 rings on the back of Shaquille O'Neal <snip>
Made me think for a second that maybe him and Marv Albert had a fling.
:D
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

geezer wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:08 pm
noxiousdog wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:00 pm
geezer wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:56 pm Damn y’all. Let’s not get personal. :?

How ‘bout you both just bag on Tim Duncan or David Robinson. ;)
Proof that tanking pays :)
:lol:
My girlfriend and I were just talking about the Knicks tanking this year and she asked if it had ever been done before. She's a big Spurs fan. I told her the lottery started with the Rockets tanking for Olajuwon. She just forgot about the Duncan thing as she's brought it up previously including "Popovich's oh look.. I have two hall of famers. I think I'll make a good coach." Though, clearly he made the right decision.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

noxiousdog wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:45 pm 5 rings on the back of Shaquille O'Neal (which highlights Kobe's selfishness on a massive scale... running off one of the greatest players of all time) and a Jerry West gift trade.

A effect shooting percentage of .482.
Less than 5 assists per game.

Oh yeah, and a rapist.

Just because you don't think he plays defense doesn't make it true. How can you "not play defense" with 4 seasons in the top 10 in steals and 4th amongst guards in rebounding? Or just use your advanced stats.
Uh no. He got three rings with Shaq and two with Gasol. He was accused of rape but when the victim was confronted with her texts after the sex, she could not explain them, which is why the prosecutor dropped the case.

Again you keep using stats that don’t actually show defense which is why I will continually deny that Harden plays defense. He’s not even in the top 127 players in defense. For the third time go look. https://stats.nba.com/players/advanced/ ... r%20Season
DEFRTG
Name
Defensive Rating
Definition
The number of points allowed per 100 possessions by a team. For a player, it is the number of points per 100 possessions that the team allows while that individual player is on the court
Formula
100*((Opp Points)/(Opp POSS))
Type
Advanced
He doesn’t make the top 100+ players. What that stat basically says is that teams score more points when he is on the floor. That is the definition of poor defense.
Black Lives Matter
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Lorini wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:21 pm
Uh no. He got three rings with Shaq and two with Gasol.
Right. He gravy trained Shaq and then got a gift from Jerry West. From wik - "On February 1, 2008, Gasol was traded to the Los Angeles Lakers along with a 2010 second round draft pick for Kwame Brown, Javaris Crittenton, Aaron McKie, the rights to Marc Gasol (Pau's younger brother), and 2008 and 2010 first round draft picks. There has been some controversy surrounding the trade."

He was accused of rape but when the victim was confronted with her texts after the sex, she could not explain them, which is why the prosecutor dropped the case.
Not exactly. He bought her off, but she also demanded a public apology. Here's Kobe's own words:
Kobe Bryant wrote: First, I want to apologize directly to the young woman involved in this incident. I want to apologize to her for my behavior that night and for the consequences she has suffered in the past year. Although this year has been incredibly difficult for me personally, I can only imagine the pain she has had to endure. I also want to apologize to her parents and family members, and to my family and friends and supporters, and to the citizens of Eagle, Colo.

I also want to make it clear that I do not question the motives of this young woman. No money has been paid to this woman. She has agreed that this statement will not be used against me in the civil case. Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did. After months of reviewing discovery, listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter.

Again you keep using stats that don’t actually show defense which is why I will continually deny that Harden plays defense. He’s not even in the top 127 players in defense. For the third time go look. https://stats.nba.com/players/advanced/ ... r%20Season

That's a team rating with some minimalregression. You'll notice that nearly all (78% with > 10 minutes/game) of the rockets are between 108 and 111. Nearly all teams are significantly clumped.

Or you could read the previous piece which I posted which analyses individual defense.
Black Lives Matter

geezer

Post by geezer »

noxiousdog wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:02 pm
My girlfriend and I were just talking about the Knicks tanking this year and she asked if it had ever been done before. She's a big Spurs fan.
You're a quality man to be in a relationship with a woman who is obviously much smarter than yourself ;)
noxiousdog wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:02 pm I told her the lottery started with the Rockets tanking for Olajuwon. She just forgot about the Duncan thing as she's brought it up previously including "Popovich's oh look.. I have two hall of famers. I think I'll make a good coach." Though, clearly he made the right decision.
I do think that time has shown Popovich to be a great coach independent of the happy coincidence that the had Duncan on his team :).
Rip

Post by Rip »

I had been in the dumps about Victor getting hurt and being out for the rest of the season.

Thank you Lakers for sucking so much even with LeBron that you get blown out by the Pacers without Victor.

I needed that.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

This is rather humorous...
It looks increasingly like the Pelicans have no real intention of dealing with the Lakers ahead of tomorrow’s trade deadline. The Lakers have made their whole damn team available in offers for Anthony Davis, and the Pelicans apparently haven’t made any concrete counteroffers, and the only observable effect of all this chatter and speculation has been the Lakers’ morale going completely to shit, and the team suffering one of the worst losses in franchise history.

It turns out that might’ve been by design! You will recall, there was quite the scandal surrounding tampering-adjacent comments made by LeBron James back in December. Then, in January, the Pelicans called down the thunder on their own player, for making his trade request public, via his agent. The Pelicans have not appreciated what they’ve seen as an effort, led by LeBron, Magic, and agent Rich Paul, to engineer Davis’s move from New Orleans to Los Angeles. ESPN reporter Brian Windhorst, appearing Wednesday on The Jump, told Rachel Nichols that the Pelicans, soaked in bitterness after the Lakers’ tampering campaign, have used these trade negotiations as a way of getting sweet, sweet revenge:
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
geezer

Post by geezer »

I'm a huge fan of LeBron's game... but man, the move to the Lakers move could just kill the rest of his career, and that would be a shame.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

geezer wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:42 pm I'm a huge fan of LeBron's game... but man, the move to the Lakers move could just kill the rest of his career, and that would be a shame.
It actually sets up his post-basketball career very, very nicely. He already has a production company deal with Warner Bros.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I do not like Magic Johnson in his current position. He got pwned so hard it was embarrassing.
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Wasn't he instrumental in bringing LeBron to LA? Yeah, this trade deadline was a bust, but from the outside it looks like LA has a much better team this year than they had last year.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:14 pm Wasn't he instrumental in bringing LeBron to LA? Yeah, this trade deadline was a bust, but from the outside it looks like LA has a much better team this year than they had last year.
He didn't screw it up, but most indications suggest that LeBron was pretty committed to going to LA regardless, due to non-basketball (e.g., Hollywood / media) considerations.

Though I don't blame him for going for AD and missing - that was his best chance of winning this year, but ultimately the Pelicans didn't have enough incentive to move AD now as opposed to this summer.
Black Lives Matter.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

No mention of Lebron using the All Star game as a recruiting tool? From the outside right now it looks less like Magic is running the show and more like Magic is trying to fullfil Lebron's wishes. Which, granted, is what nearly all GMs do for players even near Lebron's caliber.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
geezer

Post by geezer »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:56 pm
geezer wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:42 pm I'm a huge fan of LeBron's game... but man, the move to the Lakers move could just kill the rest of his career, and that would be a shame.
It actually sets up his post-basketball career very, very nicely. He already has a production company deal with Warner Bros.
Fair point.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Remus West wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:22 pm No mention of Lebron using the All Star game as a recruiting tool? From the outside right now it looks less like Magic is running the show and more like Magic is trying to fullfil Lebron's wishes. Which, granted, is what nearly all GMs do for players even near Lebron's caliber.
Yes agreed. LeBron's son goes to school in Los Angeles, he apparently was coming no matter who was the president. What he offered for AD was ridiculous and would have impaired the team for years to come. Sure trade who-the-hell-knows-when-he'll-play Ball, but I really like Kuzma and I think eventually he could be an All Star.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

So after whiffing on Anthony Davis, the Lakers trade Zubak (:cry:) and Michael Beasley (who allegedly got in a hassle with Luke Walton) to the Clippers for Mike Muscala, supposedly a shooter at 6' 11". Speculation is this frees up a roster spot for Carmello Anthony. Can you imagine Rondo, Mello and Lance Stephenson on the same team? What are they, the Oakland Raiders?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Holy cow.

Enlarge Image
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
geezer

Post by geezer »

stessier wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:07 pm Holy cow.

Enlarge Image
Pop is the greatest of all time.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

There's been no reason to follow basketball this year, but I heard on the news that last week the Bulls clinched a lottery pick. Excellent job!
Black Lives Matter
geezer

Post by geezer »

The Rox are tragic without Harden. In other related news, it’s total bs that a player can launch himself into a stationary defender’s raised arm and draw 3 free throws.

Edit: I don’t watch a lot of rockets games, but is Harden always such a massive flopper?
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

geezer wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:57 pm The Rox are tragic without Harden. In other related news, it’s total bs that a player can launch himself into a stationary defender’s raised arm and draw 3 free throws.

Edit: I don’t watch a lot of rockets games, but is Harden always such a massive flopper?
That’s how he gets to the line so much. Complete BS.
Black Lives Matter
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Lorini wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:00 pm
geezer wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:57 pm The Rox are tragic without Harden. In other related news, it’s total bs that a player can launch himself into a stationary defender’s raised arm and draw 3 free throws.

That’s how he gets to the line so much. Complete BS.
Enjoy your lottery team.
Black Lives Matter

noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

He draws contact for sure. He also gets hammered a lot with no calls. Officiating has always been one of the NBA's biggest problems.
Black Lives Matter

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Magic Johnson resigns as team president. Luke Walton will probably get fired, and Rob ("Lowe") Pelinka is likely gone as well. If the Lakers don't sign a big star this summer, this could get real ugly.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:51 am Magic Johnson resigns as team president. Luke Walton will probably get fired, and Rob ("Lowe") Pelinka is likely gone as well. If the Lakers don't sign a big star this summer, this could get real ugly.
She needs to get a management team that understands how the game is played today, and that goes from the coach on up. She may 'like' Walton but rumors are that LeBron does not like him, and that will probably result in him being fired.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

A D-Rose documentary went live today. They caught him getting the news that he was traded from the Bulls to the Knicks.

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Jaymann

Re: NBA Post Season 2018-2019

Post by Jaymann »

Well I guess it is time to start talking about the playoffs (playoffs!?!). I have no real investment, except it is interesting that the Lakers gave up on Zubac and he is crushing it with the Clippers (and Williams for that matter) who meet the Warriors in the first round.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Next notable event on my NBA calendar is the draft lottery.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'm just going to assume that the Celtics sweep the playoffs, and not watch any particular game.
Black Lives Matter.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

I'm hoping any team besides the All Star Bore-iors wins, but I don't expect it.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

If there's on thing the Warriors aren't, it's boring.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

WTF? I checked the score and the Clippers were down by 31 points to the Warriors in the third quarter, so I went to bed. They actually completed the greatest playoff comeback in NBA history and won 135-131! Sweet Lou Williams!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:58 pm If there's on thing the Warriors aren't, it's boring.
They bore me because I assume they will always find a way to win and generally do it with ease. But then along comes last night's Clipper game to shut me up...
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Wow, I just watched the game because no baseball on tonight. Portland beat Denver 140 to 137 in the fourth overtime. Fourth. Over. Time.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Jaymann wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 2:12 am Wow, I just watched the game because no baseball on tonight. Portland beat Denver 140 to 137 in the fourth overtime. Fourth. Over. Time.
This Portland team is kind of fun. :mrgreen:
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

That was a good game last night, but I wish I hadn’t made the decision at 11:30 CST to watch “the last few minutes” of the game. I didn’t get to bed until after 1:00.

The Rockets/Warriors game has been entertaining so far. But, at least this game, the Houston offense seemed much better in the first half when Harden wasn’t on the floor. I know this is what they’ve done all year, but when he’s out there he just dribbles at the top of the key for most of the possession. When Harden was out, Paul did a great job driving and dishing and getting everyone involved. Their defense also seemed more active when Harden was on the bench.
Black Lives Matter
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 9:51 pm That was a good game last night, but I wish I hadn’t made the decision at 11:30 CST to watch “the last few minutes” of the game. I didn’t get to bed until after 1:00.

The Rockets/Warriors game has been entertaining so far. But, at least this game, the Houston offense seemed much better in the first half when Harden wasn’t on the floor. I know this is what they’ve done all year, but when he’s out there he just dribbles at the top of the key for most of the possession. When Harden was out, Paul did a great job driving and dishing and getting everyone involved. Their defense also seemed more active when Harden was on the bench. Image
Your eyes are deceiving you. The Rocket's offensive rating drops from just under 115 to under 100 when Harden is off the floor. He's been a decent option guarding Durant (see reddit conversation) as compared to the rest of the team, but Durant has been easily the best player on the court these three games.

It might be Clint Capela that is making things look bad. The Rockets have been outscored by 44 points when he's on the floor and Clint rarely gets minutes without Harden. The closest Rocket to Capela is Gordon at -16.
Black Lives Matter

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

noxiousdog wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 1:14 pm
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 9:51 pm That was a good game last night, but I wish I hadn’t made the decision at 11:30 CST to watch “the last few minutes” of the game. I didn’t get to bed until after 1:00.

The Rockets/Warriors game has been entertaining so far. But, at least this game, the Houston offense seemed much better in the first half when Harden wasn’t on the floor. I know this is what they’ve done all year, but when he’s out there he just dribbles at the top of the key for most of the possession. When Harden was out, Paul did a great job driving and dishing and getting everyone involved. Their defense also seemed more active when Harden was on the bench. Image
Your eyes are deceiving you. The Rocket's offensive rating drops from just under 115 to under 100 when Harden is off the floor. He's been a decent option guarding Durant (see reddit conversation) as compared to the rest of the team, but Durant has been easily the best player on the court these three games.

It might be Clint Capela that is making things look bad. The Rockets have been outscored by 44 points when he's on the floor and Clint rarely gets minutes without Harden. The closest Rocket to Capela is Gordon at -16.
Looks like Curry's injury is having a greater impact than Harden's. Curry must have missed 5-6 blow-by layups that he usually makes in the OT loss in Game 3, and his 3-pt shooting isn't what it usually is either.

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

noxiousdog wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 1:14 pm

I wasn't arguing that the Rockets are better without Harden in general, but their offense seemed crisper with him out for at least a few stretches in the first half of game 3. Chris Paul and everyone else was just much more active on offense when Harden was off the floor.

But you're right - Durant has been great. He is just unguardable. Fortunately for the Rockets, the Warriors didn't just go to him every possession down the stretch.
Black Lives Matter