Running 2 PC's with a single keyboard/mouse -- Success!

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kasey Chang

Running 2 PC's with a single keyboard/mouse -- Success!

Post by Kasey Chang »

I got a new PC in, as indicated in the other topic.

Normally, I run a secondary monitor with my laptop. I've connected that monitor with my new PC, but I was used to using a single keyboard and mouse... What to do?

Turns out there's a free program for that... Microsoft Garage's "Mouse Without Borders". Run program on both. First one will give you a code. This encrypts the traffic. Enter the code on the other one, confirm the PC your'e connecting to... Voila. Your mouse and keyboard now will control both PC's, and even support auto mouse roll-over (to the other desktop). As long as both are on the same lan, it'll work.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
jztemple2

Re: Running 2 PC's with a single keyboard/mouse -- Success!

Post by jztemple2 »

Very cool! I was wondering if this could be done easily.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I think I tried using ShareMouse a few years ago to control my home computer and work laptop with the same keyboard and mouse when working from home. Unfortunately, the work laptop had to connect to a VPN for actual work stuff...which broke the connection. It's a really neat solution, though - I remember the days of the KVM switch, and I don't miss them :)
JCC

Post by JCC »

Sorry, but I don't get this. Is this a LAN based KVM without the KVM switch? Or is this just KM switching? How do you switch between the PCs?

Edit: Never mind. Read a review. Just K/M. Switch by moving Mouse to other screen. Got it. Interesting.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

There is also this thing that a lot of my cow-orkers like.

P.S. I got tired of putty over Christmas and splurged for the pro version of MobaXTerm. I like it! The free version is cool enough, but I felt obliged since I use the thing so much.
There is no hug button. Sad!
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I was looking at Synergy, and Stardock's equivalent, but they both require $$$$ (30 and $10 respectively). The MS solution is FREE.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

JCC wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:56 pm Sorry, but I don't get this. Is this a LAN based KVM without the KVM switch? Or is this just KM switching? How do you switch between the PCs?

Edit: Never mind. Read a review. Just K/M. Switch by moving Mouse to other screen. Got it. Interesting.
Yeah, the switchover is instantaneous and seamless. I don't think I can game with it, but for normal use, it's perfect. No hitting CTRL-SHIFT-F2 to switch desktops or such.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i use Synergy, since Mouse Without Borders only works on Windows. Synergy is for Win, OS X and Linux (any combination of OSes can be used) and you can get it for free if you download the source and compile it yourself from github.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

The mouse transition is so seamless that I was tempted to do what I used to do with dual monitor... Throw a Chrome tab onto the other screen. :D

One minor nitpick, but understandable... It doesn't work at the windows lockscreen. But then, that's expected. And the other PC is a laptop with its built-in keyboard.

Oops, it *does* work on lock screen.