Pictures and Videos for R&P

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Holman

Re: Pictures and Videos for R&P

Post by Holman »

Donald Trump has a supercomputer in his brain that is even smarter than he is.

Also, I've seen people make arguments on coke, and this is what it looks like.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:10 pm

Donald Trump has a supercomputer in his brain that is even smarter than he is.

Also, I've seen people make arguments on coke, and this is what it looks like.
"He's learned after 40 years to trust his instincts..." The dude is 72. What's next, he golfs a 15 at Sawgrass?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

His instincts might make him the first president to ever be imprisoned, so I'm ok with him following his instincts.

No, I don't want to hear about some president-dude from the 1800's who was put behind bars for a weekend under romantical groping laws.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Jimmy Kimmell and Jimmy Fallon are still hosting their shows, right?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Americans are weird.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Amateurs!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Are All Instances of Blackface Alike?
Virginia Attorney General Mark Herring blacked up his face in 1980 when dressing as Kurtis Blow. Herring admitted what he did and apologized. Virginia Governor Ralph Northam’s yearbook page contains a photo of a man in blackface next to someone dressed as a Klansman. Northam admitted he was one of the men and apologized, then said perhaps he wasn’t in the photograph at all.

Is it right to treat these two acts in the same way, as unforgivable acts of racism, even white supremacy?

I wonder if we are allowing social progress to detour into a kind of reflexive shaming. I wonder if all blacking up is alike, or if even blackface contains shades of grey.

Perhaps there is a difference between blacking up to mock black people, as whom we might term as the person pictured on Northam’s yearbook page seems to have done, and blacking up in affectionate imitation of a black person, as part of seeking to resemble said person, as Herring did. One indication that the latter is reasonable is that it was common among highly enlightened people in times hardly as removed from ours as Al Jolson and The Birth of a Nation.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Moliere wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:32 am Jimmy Kimmell and Jimmy Fallon are still hosting their shows, right?
I honestly don't know where the distinction line lays.
There is also the Downing Jr, Tropic Thunder... and others like that.

Not to mention, White Chicks or Soul Man.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Unagi wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:53 am
Moliere wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:32 am Jimmy Kimmell and Jimmy Fallon are still hosting their shows, right?
I honestly don't know where the distinction line lays.
There is also the Downing Jr, Tropic Thunder... and others like that.

Not to mention, White Chicks or Soul Man.
It's a blurry line to be sure. For some cases. But when you have contextual clues, like standing next to a guy in a Klan good or wearing a noose, it's pretty damned clear.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Curious that they never show a picture of Fairfax or mention him by name. Instead of talking about a probable serial rapist they make joke after joke about the blackface pictures. If there are two credible allegations against Fairfax I would bet more women will start coming forward.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Unagi wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:53 am There is also the Downing Jr, Tropic Thunder... and others like that.
I don't think the Tropic Thunder example is relevant at all. It was a satirical take on method acting, and the movie acknowledges how offensive it is.

As for the Ted Danson situation, it was a roast of his then girlfriend Whoopi Goldberg. And it was immediately blasted as being extremely over the line. Goldberg claimed she helped him write the material and referred him to the makeup artist.
Goldberg, seated next to Danson, laughed and smiled at the material. Speaking last, she defended her friend: "Let's get these words all out in the open. It took a whole lot of courage to come out in blackface in front of 3,000 people. I don't care if you didn't like it. I did."

Goldberg said in a statement Saturday that she knew what Danson and other speakers were planning and that "made the day particularly fun because these were people who love me.

"If people on the dais and in the audience were not aware of what the day was supposed to consist of, they should have checked to see what the tenor of these roasts are, and then made a decision as to whether or not they wanted to participate."
Does that make what Danson did acceptable? No. But it's pretty clear his situation is totally different than say, Michael Richards screaming the n-word at members of his audience. And it's obvious why one of them had their career ruined, while the other is still in many ways a beloved actor.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Moliere wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:27 amCurious that they never show a picture of Fairfax or mention him by name. Instead of talking about a probable serial rapist they make joke after joke about the blackface pictures. If there are two credible allegations against Fairfax I would bet more women will start coming forward.
I guess you didn't watch the entire video then. Fairfax's issues were directly mentioned.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

msteelers wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:41 pm
Moliere wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:27 amCurious that they never show a picture of Fairfax or mention him by name. Instead of talking about a probable serial rapist they make joke after joke about the blackface pictures. If there are two credible allegations against Fairfax I would bet more women will start coming forward.
I guess you didn't watch the entire video then. Fairfax's issues were directly mentioned.
Read what I wrote: "they never show a picture of Fairfax or mention him by name". Yes, they mentioned his actions in passing without showing his picture or saying his name.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I'm sure they make their choice based on nefarious reasons. being a comedy news segment.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Blackface and a comedian putting on prosthetics and makeup to resemble someone they're impersonating are two totally different things.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Whatever you do, don't shake hands with the Fox and Friends hosts. Um...ew.
Fox News host Pete Hegseth explained on Sunday that he doesn’t wash his hands because “germs are not a real thing.”

Following a commercial break, Fox & Friends co-host Jedediah Bila revealed that Hegseth had been munching on day-old pizza that was left on the set.

“Pizza Hut lasts for a long time,” Hegseth replied, defending himself. “My 2019 resolution is to say things on air that I say off air. I don’t think I’ve washed my hands for 10 years. Really, I don’t really wash my hands ever.”
"The evil librul media took my comments out of context" in 3...2...1...
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Is he a fan of fried rice, perchance?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

YellowKing wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:01 pm Blackface and a comedian putting on prosthetics and makeup to resemble someone they're impersonating are two totally different things.
Totally different. :roll:

How do we know they're not totally different? Because the two Jimmy's would never dare do it today.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Moliere wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:26 pm
YellowKing wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:01 pm Blackface and a comedian putting on prosthetics and makeup to resemble someone they're impersonating are two totally different things.

How do we know they're not totally different? Because the two Jimmy's would never dare do it today.
What is your opinion of White Chicks? Is it ever acceptable for one race to portray another in cinema? Is so, when? If not, why?
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

GreenGoo wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:07 am What is your opinion of White Chicks? Is it ever acceptable for one race to portray another in cinema? Is so, when? If not, why?
The current state of the world does not allow for nuance. Outrage culture will burn anyone to the ground for attempting to make a distinction.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

GreenGoo wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:07 am

What is your opinion of White Chicks? Is it ever acceptable for one race to portray another in cinema? Is so, when? If not, why?
Context. There's a long history of whites using blackface as a way to dehumanize and remove power from blacks. There's no such history of blacks using whiteface to do the same. Whites are also the beneficiaries of systemic racism that keeps them in a position of power over blacks, so there's an element of punching down. In general, I'd say yeah, it's generally not a great idea for people of one race to dress up as another, because it carries a subtext of "this person's racial identity is a costume that I can put on for entertainment." That said, if you're going to cross those lines, you best be doing it to someone higher than you on the ladder. I'm a straight white dude. It's probably okay for me to dress up as Trump for Halloween, but just about everything else is probably out of bounds.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

So I take it a Mister T costume for Halloween is right out.

A quick check of the internet shows you can still buy one.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Moliere wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:54 am
GreenGoo wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:07 am What is your opinion of White Chicks? Is it ever acceptable for one race to portray another in cinema? Is so, when? If not, why?
The current state of the world does not allow for nuance. Outrage culture will burn anyone to the ground for attempting to make a distinction.
I've come to believe more and more that this is true. But I do think we are seeing a "righting of the ship" in many ways. For example, I was reading some Garth Ennis graphic novels (or, as most people say, comic books) from the late 90's/early 00's the other day and the amount of outright homophobic and racist jokes that were there for pure shock/comedy value and NOT as socially critical satire was pretty striking. When I read those same comics back in the day, I remember thinking "this is cutting edge!", but now I view them through a more compassionate lens and I see how just truly mean spirited and ugly they are.

However, the opposite side of this is that true satire that parodies stereotypes in order to shine a light on how awful they can be, is more than often lumped in with the socially unaware stuff.

I just think we need to find a balance at some point.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Satire requires care in crafting by the author and nuance in understanding by the audience.

How much of either are we seeing these days?
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Well, that certainly seems to be what you are doing when people here are trying to make distinctions.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:17 am Satire requires care in crafting by the author and nuance in understanding by the audience.

How much of either are we seeing these days?
True. But I worry that we're not seeing much of it because of the current clime. Mel Brooks would get killed for Blazing Saddles in today's world, but the movie itself made an escaped slave the hero of the story while pointing out that much of the racist stereotypes of that day we're pretty goddamn stupid. It had its flaws, but it was, in my opinion, great satire.
Covfefe!
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:22 am
Well, that certainly seems to be what you are doing when people here are trying to make distinctions.
I didn’t take it that way. I thought he was just saying that the distinctions people were posting wouldn’t fly with the OUTRAGE crowd, not that the distinctions themselves were flawed or weak necessarily. But maybe I misunderstood.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
malchior

Post by malchior »

Maybe not but Jimmy Fallon's was satire. He was wearing blackface because the skit was about how they don't hire black people in Hollywood. The "joke" was that he was actually a white guy in blackface. I get that today outrage culture doesn't care about nuance but back then...there was at least some room. Hence why this isn't really an issue except for hypocrites trying to score points. Besides if people look back at it with a fair viewpoint (admittedly rare these days)...it clearly wasn't a racist working to keep black people down.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Chaz wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:18 am
Context. There's a long history of whites using blackface as a way to dehumanize and remove power from blacks. There's no such history of blacks using whiteface to do the same. Whites are also the beneficiaries of systemic racism that keeps them in a position of power over blacks, so there's an element of punching down. In general, I'd say yeah, it's generally not a great idea for people of one race to dress up as another, because it carries a subtext of "this person's racial identity is a costume that I can put on for entertainment." That said, if you're going to cross those lines, you best be doing it to someone higher than you on the ladder. I'm a straight white dude. It's probably okay for me to dress up as Trump for Halloween, but just about everything else is probably out of bounds.
I absolutely agree that blackface and minstrel shows were a thing. Does that mean it's impossible for a white person to ever play a black character? Is Zwarte Piet automatically racist despite the Netherlands not being guilty of minstrelism?

As mentioned previously on the forum it seems that the US has this weird hierarchical view of racism which varies based on who holds the most power, making certain behaviour of one race perfectly fine while the exact same behaviour of another race racist af. That's...certainly a viewpoint. I can't share it however.

I just find the whole thing bizarrely unprincipled and arbitrary. I've discussed my dissatisfaction with ill-defined and constantly changing (not improvements, side-grades/moving targets) societal expectations seemingly designed to keep people in a victim role and others guilty of victimizing them somehow, and this double standard is just part of that in my opinion.

There is a *very* clear line between replicating the makeup from minstrel shows and playing a black character. You could argue that there are plenty of black actors to fill a role, and that's probably true, but simply putting on black makeup is hardly in itself racism, just as putting on white makeup isn't either. Now if you're putting on black makeup so your frat brothers can trot you around with a noose on your neck while they wear white hoods, I don't think you're playing "a role" so much as creating a target for the sole purpose of expressing racism.

I get that putting on black makeup is a bad idea in North America. I don't have to like it, but I get it. I sure as heck am not going to do it myself or let my kids do it if the thought should cross their mind, which if it did would almost certainly be driven by a desire to become a character like, say, Falcon and not because they understand minstrels were a thing and want to perpetuate it.

As moliere says, people are being pilloried for both small and large offenses in the recent or distant past, seemingly equally. As a society I think that's crazy. Our laws are defined by distinguishing between severity of the crime, and punishments vary based on that. Societal "crimes" and the punishments meted out seem to be losing sight of intent and damage caused, with everyone being staked and burned together. Nothing good can come of this zero tolerance zero thought outlook.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

GreenGoo wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:04 pm You could argue that there are plenty of black actors to fill a role, and that's probably true, but simply putting on black makeup is hardly in itself racism, just as putting on white makeup isn't either.
Putting on black makeup has recent historical significance that makes it far more than "simply putting on black makeup." Like drawing a swastika is far more than simply drawing an ancient Hindu symbol.

Being ignorant of that historical significance is at the wearer's peril. If someone has a valid statement to make, so be it but it's dangerous waters.

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:57 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:04 pm You could argue that there are plenty of black actors to fill a role, and that's probably true, but simply putting on black makeup is hardly in itself racism, just as putting on white makeup isn't either.
Putting on black makeup has recent historical significance that makes it far more than "simply putting on black makeup."
Perhaps, but minstrel makeup is not *all* black makeup. It's clown makeup. It's a stretch (that the American public is willing to make) that playing a serious role as a black man is also racism if a white person does it.

As I said, I know that it's verboten and I'm not about to do it or let anyone in my family do it, but White Chicks is about as offensive as it gets, if the races were reversed. It's not just stereotypical parody, it's race-based parody. That double standard is bullshit, even with slavery, minstrel shows and white on black racism. What's the goal here? Equal racism for everyone?

There's a big difference between affirmative action (pushing past passive racist barriers) which some see as a double standard and the double standard condemning all black makeup as racist even though there is no racist intent or even context, while ignoring inherently racist movies that contain white makeup such as White Chicks. That's not principled equality, that's just "everything one race does is bad, everything another race does is not bad". That makes one race (almost) inherently racist just by existing at this point.

Fantastic.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I think the White Chicks argument is irrelevant. It's about two black guys trying to pass themselves off as white women. There was also a little movie called "Soul Man" in which the very white C. Thomas Howell tried to pass himself off as a black man.

In both cases, the plot of the movie hinges on one race trying to pass as another; I think everyone understood that and was in on the joke.

I think these both fall under the comedic/satirical umbrella, and aren't really valid as comparisons to blackface.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:42 pm I think the White Chicks argument is irrelevant. It's about two black guys trying to pass themselves off as white women. There was also a little movie called "Soul Man" in which the very white C. Thomas Howell tried to pass himself off as a black man.

In both cases, the plot of the movie hinges on one race trying to pass as another; I think everyone understood that and was in on the joke.

I think these both fall under the comedic/satirical umbrella, and aren't really valid as comparisons to blackface.
It depends. If Soul Man has references to negative racial stereotypes in a non-ironic way, which I believe it does although my memory is failing me for which I am eternally grateful, then that's a big difference. Fried chicken and Watermelon aren't inherently funny, although I fully admit it's possible to make them funny if done with skill and intelligence, but again, they aren't *inherently* funny.

White Chicks is borderline offensive to both races involved, because it's lazy and trite. I don't mean that being a lazy writer/director is offensive, I'm saying that they put in zero effort and simply went with "white people be like this, black people be like that" unoriginal, tired and out of date (even at the time of release) "humor".

Discussions like this are good because they help illustrate just how nuanced racism is, even as everyone, me included, wants to pass it off as, *cough*, black or white.

What if someone is not mentally acute enough to actually register and understand nuances, particularly in the realm of race? Everything is going to seem like racism and they can yell just as loudly as anyone else. There are times when it feels like that's the case. Whether it's true in any given instance, who knows?
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Here's an example of the outrage culture:

Jennifer Lopez Defends Grammys Motown Performance Amid Criticism — and Dedicates It to Her Mom
Many Twitter users were quick to criticize Lopez’s participation in the Motown tribute on Sunday, calling for black performers to honor the genre that was launched by Gordy with artists like Marvin Gaye, The Supremes, Gladys Knight & the Pips and The Temptations.

“J. Lo better not salsa her way to the cookout because she is uninvited for that terrible performance,” preacher Jared Sawyer Jr. tweeted on Sunday. “How do you do a Motown tribute without an ALL BLACK cast of artists?! And it’s Black History Month too.”

Sawyer suggested that Knight, Stevie Wonder, Patti LaBelle, Jennifer Hudson, Tina Tuner or “practically anyone else” take Lopez’s place.
Because, you know, if you're not black then you can't participate in a tribute to Motown.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Do I need to need to know who Jared Sawyer is?

Has Lopez shown she's been influenced by, been in the industry with, or simply had stars in her eyes with regards to motown? If not, then yeah, they probably could have chosen from a pretty extensive list of those vocally or obviously influenced by, been in the industry with, or simply had stars in her eyes before her. And that list is not exclusively black, nor Detroiters. From boy bands to Paul McCartney to Sam Smith to Adele to Mariah Carey off the top of my head.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Moliere wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:24 pm Here's an example of the outrage culture:

Jennifer Lopez Defends Grammys Motown Performance Amid Criticism — and Dedicates It to Her Mom
Many Twitter users were quick to criticize Lopez’s participation in the Motown tribute on Sunday, calling for black performers to honor the genre that was launched by Gordy with artists like Marvin Gaye, The Supremes, Gladys Knight & the Pips and The Temptations.

“J. Lo better not salsa her way to the cookout because she is uninvited for that terrible performance,” preacher Jared Sawyer Jr. tweeted on Sunday. “How do you do a Motown tribute without an ALL BLACK cast of artists?! And it’s Black History Month too.”

Sawyer suggested that Knight, Stevie Wonder, Patti LaBelle, Jennifer Hudson, Tina Tuner or “practically anyone else” take Lopez’s place.
Because, you know, if you're not black then you can't participate in a tribute to Motown.
It's not an example.of "outrage culture." It's an example of Twitter giving a platform to everyone regardless of merit or credibility and media picking it up as clickbait.

MYT
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:46 pm
Kurth wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:33 pm
coopasonic wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:35 am
Max Peck wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:13 pm Nike just did it.

Enlarge Image
I haven't bought Nike in a long time as Saucony make my running shoes of choice, but I may have to given them another chance.
For something different, the Nike Epic Reacts are probably the most comfortable shoe I've ever worn.
Thanks, I was looking for a good shoe. Ordered.
Colorado
Prime Time Sports, a sporting goods store in Colorado Springs, Colo., is closing its doors after more than 20 years in business. On Monday, owner Stephen Martin and employees posted signs in the store saying everything was 40 percent off, the beginning of the clearance sale.

Last year, Martin decided to pull all Nike items from his store, which sells all manner of items with sports team logos – apparel, mugs, blankets, wall plaques – after Nike’s ad campaign featuring Colin Kaepernick.

Nike is the official manufacturer of all NFL player jerseys, and much of the affiliated merchandise, like team hats, jackets and hoodies.
A sports store that doesn’t sell Nike – it’s kind of like…well, Martin might say it best.

“Being a sports store without Nike is kind of like being a milk store without milk or a gas station without gas,” he said.
Martin has a big problem with players who protest during the anthem, canceling a planned autograph session with Denver Broncos linebacker Brandon Marshall in 2016 after Marshall kneeled, protesting Marshall’s decision to use his platform to bring attention to issues of racial injustice.

“As much as I hate to admit this, perhaps there are more Brandon Marshall and Colin Kaepernick supporters out there than I realized,” Martin said.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »