Whatcha drinking?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Alefroth

Re: Whatcha drinking?

Post by Alefroth »

I'll be glad when brewers are done exploring the boundaries of an IPA. Brut IPA sounds like a ridiculous trend (because why would I want an IPA to taste like tonic water with lemon). I felt the same way about the NE IPAs which mostly tasted like stale OJ to me. If you want to brew a beer that isn't like an IPA at all, then just call it what it is. I suspect a lot of newer beer drinkers (and maybe even brewers) can only relate to IPAs though, and everything has to start with that as a baseline.

Grumble grumble.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:49 pm Further more, Spotted Cow is only acceptable if your other choices are Lite, Bud Light, Coors Light, and they are out of water. :tjg:
Breaking news! Jeff doesn't like a low ABV farmhouse ale! :P
Alefroth wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:02 pm I'll be glad when brewers are done exploring the boundaries of an IPA. Brut IPA sounds like a ridiculous trend (because why would I want an IPA to taste like tonic water with lemon). I felt the same way about the NE IPAs which mostly tasted like stale OJ to me. If you want to brew a beer that isn't like an IPA at all, then just call it what it is. I suspect a lot of newer beer drinkers (and maybe even brewers) can only relate to IPAs though, and everything has to start with that as a baseline.

Grumble grumble.
I definitely wish they would call them something other than IPA. I remember reading an article titled something along the lines of, "Do you think you don't like IPAs? These beers will change your mind!" It was all about hazy/juicy/NE IPAs. They're not going to change anyone's minds about IPAs because they don't taste like IPAs. The same can be said for Brut IPAs.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:46 am
Scuzz wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:58 am We tried the Brut and yea, it was lite, kinda champagney and probably would be a better summer beer.
This seems to be a growing fad, I've seen a handful of Brut IPAs on the shelves. I can't stand champagne, and beer that is in any way reminiscent of it doesn't belong in my house (this is why I revile the Belgian beers so much). I figure I can safely stay away from this trend, although when I see it at a beer tasting, I might give it a shot just because I don't generally knock something unless I tried it.
It wasn't a "bad" beer but it isn't, to my taste buds at least, what I expect from an IPA. And while it had a little of that champagne style to it I wouldn't call it a champagne.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'll be the heretic who enjoys pushing the boundaries of what "IPA" means. As long as hops are front and center, I don't mind the IPA appellation for beers that depart from the traditional style, as long as they're appropriately labeled. If I got a black brut NE IPA when I thought I was buying a standard bitter hop bomb, I'd be pissed. If something billed as fruity and hazy tastes like Pine-Sol, I'd be pissed.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Wife working back to back double shifts. Weather too nasty to leave the house. Prepped with 2 DYO six packs and the kids are napping. Here we go!

Flannel Pajamas from Begyle Brewing, Chicago. A nice, ultralite 5.4% oatmeal stout. Flavors are good, normal palette of coffee, cocoa and roasted oats. It would make a nice ingredient in my chili. Good starter beer, the flavors are probably too subtle to notice once some hoppy beers wreak havoc on the taste buds.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Casper White Stout by James Page Brewing Co., Stevens Point, WI. Now this is an interesting beer. Eyes closed, it could pass as a vanilla stout with some fruity notes. But it's amber, like an ale. I'll have to check out more of this brewery (summer vacation planning this week put a probable lunch stop in Stevens Point). I'm just glad there's something besides the tiresome Point Brewery in that town. 6.1% ABV.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Luna Coffee Stout, Hinterland Brewing, Green Bay, WI. Ever have a cup of coffee that's been on the burner for 6 hours or so? The result is much like this beer. Note to Hinterland, if you're making coffee beer, good beans matter. 5 8% ABV is weak sauce, just like everything else from that wretched town.
Black Lives Matter
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Had a Bell's Hopslam last night. I would say it lives up to the hype. Very nice amount of hops but other flavors come through as well. It's very nicely balanced if you like hoppy beers. I doubt it will change someone into an ipa lover but if you like IPAs and can find it, I can't imagine you won't enjoy it immensely.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Defender IPA by Brooklyn Brewery. A golden IPA (urine colored) this super-fizzy beer is reminiscent of Lagunitas Lil Sumpin Extra (veritable grapefruit juice) with none of the alcohol (anemic 5.5%). I've liked Brooklyn's efforts in the past, this one is a miss.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Hop Stoopid by Lagunitas. A robust 102 IBU and reasonable 8.0% ABV, this is a very drinkable beer suitable for day long session binges. Sadly, I have just one and the bitterness will likely kill whatever I have next.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Slalom King by Crystal Lake Brewing, IL. A rye IPA that's not harsh at all. It's mildly fruity, reminds me of maybe a blood orange reduction, not acidic but a hint of citrus nevertheless. It very much drinks like a double, but with only 7.5% ABV is a bit of booze short. But i like this a lot.
Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

Bought a 4-pack of Toppling Goliath Golden Nugget IPA the other day. Only to discover that the date on the can had a best by date of 11/18/18. It still tasted alright so I drank it instead of taking it back to the store. I just have to remember to tell that store to check their dates the next time I am in there.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Post-fillings, I’m treating myself to a trip to work on my beer club.

Cigar City Madurai Brown Ale is a tasty brown ale. Made tastier due to the $3 pint sale.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sweetwater Exodus Porter - a touch bitter, but enjoyable.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Jeff V wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:31 pm Hop Stoopid by Lagunitas. A robust 102 IBU and reasonable 8.0% ABV, this is a very drinkable beer suitable for day long session binges. Sadly, I have just one and the bitterness will likely kill whatever I have next.
I know JeffV lives on a different planet from a lot of beer drinkers, but 8.0% ABV isn't a session beer by any reasonable beer fan's standards.
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Breckenridge 472 IPA - a decent example, not too high on the bitterness scale.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:08 pm
Jeff V wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:31 pm Hop Stoopid by Lagunitas. A robust 102 IBU and reasonable 8.0% ABV, this is a very drinkable beer suitable for day long session binges. Sadly, I have just one and the bitterness will likely kill whatever I have next.
I know JeffV lives on a different planet from a lot of beer drinkers, but 8.0% ABV isn't a session beer by any reasonable beer fan's standards.
Maybe it just depends on what kind of shape you want to be in at the end of the session. :)
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:08 pm
Jeff V's liver treats anything lower than 7.0% as water vapor.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

You have to wonder what JeffV would think of this one!

Hodor.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I would try that. I'm always open to a full-flavor "light" beer (at 12-pack prices) for the summertime. So far, I haven't found anything better than Notch's Left of the Dial, which has ruled the past three summers.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Kraken wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:50 pm I would try that. I'm always open to a full-flavor "light" beer (at 12-pack prices) for the summertime. So far, I haven't found anything better than Notch's Left of the Dial, which has ruled the past three summers.
Have you ever tried Founders All Day IPA? That's probably the closest I've come for a full flavored, lighter beer, checking in at 4.7%.
Hodor.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Yes. The Founders is watery compared to the Notch.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Kraken wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:31 pm Yes. The Founders is watery compared to the Notch.
Huh. Unfortunately, Left of the Dial is only available in MA according to a quick Google search.
Hodor.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:48 pm
Kraken wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:31 pm Yes. The Founders is watery compared to the Notch.
Damn. I may have to see if I can find the Notch around here, then.
They are comparable in flavor, but Notch has a more substantial body. When I tried All-Day I invariably drank one more beer than I wanted to because I was slamming them too fast. I can sip Notch.

Their website says they're currently only distributed in MA and ME. I'd offer to hook you up but I think you go to prison for mailing beer. :cry:
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Kraken wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:54 pm
pr0ner wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:48 pm
Damn. I may have to see if I can find the Notch around here, then.
They are comparable in flavor, but Notch has a more substantial body. When I tried All-Day I invariably drank one more beer than I wanted to because I was slamming them too fast. I can sip Notch.

Their website says they're currently only distributed in MA and ME. I'd offer to hook you up but I think you go to prison for mailing beer. :cry:
I do appreciate the gesture. At least I can go over to a friend's house and pick up some Treehouse in the next day or two!
Hodor.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Need to find this.

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Mad & Noisy Coconut Porter. I'm struggling to wonder what the Coconut is really adding to it, other than to just be trendy. I'm not even tasting the coconut. It's on the Creemore Springs label, which is in turn a Molson label, so in other words, nothing really special.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Mind Haze IPA by Firestone. 6.2 alcohol. Very citrucy, reminds me of grapefruit but not quite all the way there.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Where are my Canadian friends and neighbors? Who wants to ship me a bottle of this? :D
They say their winning gin has a unique blend of ingredients including winged kelp, sustainably harvested from the Strait of Juan de Fuca.

"The Seaside Gin is our flagship," said Jason MacIsaac. "The kelp in the Seaside gin gives it…a kind of sense of terroir, a sense of the region. The kelp also ties all the botanicals together and balances them out and gives it a sense of umami."

The owners say they are hoping the win will give them more exposure, and help them share their gin with a lot more people.

It’s currently for sale in private liquor stores in B.C., Alberta, and Manitoba.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Wait what, they have private liquor stores in BC!?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Z-Corn wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:50 pm Wait what, they have private liquor stores in BC!?
Apparently
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The awesome wife brought me home two bombers:

disarm

Post by disarm »

I was in Vermont over the weekend and made a quick stop at The Alchemist...loaded up on Heddy Topper, Focal Banger, and a few others. I tried a Holy Cow tonight that was pretty great...closest to a session beer that you'll probably find at Alchemist (5% ABV), but still full of hop flavor ImageImage
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I am overdue for a trip to VT. Next time you're in the Alchemist's neck of the woods, divert yourself to the Prohibition Pig.

When Wife and I were leaving the Pig, I had to hit the men's room on the way out. When I came back out the staff was laughing at me. It turned out they had collected and read my comment card, which asked "What could we add to improve your experience?" Naturally, I wrote "Hookers and blow."

Our server told Wife I'd fit right in there.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:44 pm Where are my Canadian friends and neighbors? Who wants to ship me a bottle of this? :D
So, in other words, you want a little kelp from your friends ;)

Last night went out to dinner and happened to have Tom Green's (Yes, that Tom Green) Cherry Milk Stout from Beau's Brewery. Very thick stout with a very sweet finish.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:20 pm The awesome wife brought me home two bombers:

That's quite the IBU total. I'm curious to hear just how bitter that beer is.
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Honestly, it's very drinkable. And one bomber, at 13%, which is certainly at Jeff V levels, got me well on my way.
mori

Post by mori »

I just drank a similar beer.

But this was not aged on oak, only fermented on oak. So it kept its fresh hoppy goodness. I really enjoyed this one. Just a hint of vanilla from the oak gave it a orange cream soda flavor.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Kraken wrote:I am overdue for a trip to VT. Next time you're in the Alchemist's neck of the woods, divert yourself to the Prohibition Pig.
Someone just told me yesterday about Prohibition Pig...guess two recommendations make it a must-visit!

The other on my VT list is Hill Farmstead. Unfortunately, I don't make it up that way often...
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Speaking of VT, if anyone happens to be in Southern VT, I'd recommend Pizza Stone in the Okemo Valley area, Chester VT. It's an interesting combination of pizza parlour + bar with lots of local beer on tap and wood-fired pizza. I happen to go there every summer with a group when I'm in the area camping.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti